guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By guanophobic
No Caption Provided

Dreamhack is one of, if not the largest BYOC LAN-parties in the world, held 2 times/year in Sweden with around 10-15 thousand visitors to each event. As you can probably guess, this is a perfect time for PC-component manufacturers to get their PR going with a special hall dedicated for this specific need.

Ever thought you, or someone you know would make a far better booth babe than the girls at past events? Then put your stuff to the test and apply to be the next MSI Computersbooth babe and go to DreamHack Winter.
To be eligible to enter, you must speak English and bet between the ages of 18 and 25. Preference goes to girls who already reside in Scandinavia but all other European countries are eligible as well.
- Follow MSI Europe on Facebook
- Post your BEST photo of you in a bikini/mini-skirt/hot-pants on the MSI Europe Facebook wall with the comment: “MSI Booth Babe
- Get as many people you can to LIKE your photo
The top FIVE liked photos will be judged based on looks, character and creativity. In the end only one girl will be chosen to go and represent MSI Computers at DreamHack Winter in November 24-27 so make sure you give it all you’ve got.
The lucky winner will receive an MSI Laptop, and will become the MSI cover girl for all MSI campaigns as well as be flown to DreamHack Winter with all expenses paid.
This year however, it seems that MSI Europe took a wrong turn in their marketing strategy by starting a booth babe competition for this years party:

http://gaming.msi.com/news/msi-computers-is-searching-for-the-next-hottest-booth-babe

Seeing as Dreamhack has for the last 3-4 years seen a growing amount of female gamers joining in, this has sparked somewhat of a flame war on their facebook page, blogpost and on twitter with people saying they'll boycott MSI-hardware.

Dreamhack has had a designated hall for exhibitors for quite some time now, but booth babes have not yet ever been present (from what I recall). Instead, manufacturers have chosen to put their female pro gamers on stage with public ladder games etc. Showing off the trolls who probably've never seen a girl play CS or whatever it may be. Which IMO is probably the best way to handle this.

What are you guy's opinion about this?

The best comparisons our Dreamhack is probably a mixture between PAX and QuakeCon; what are your experiences with booth babes there?

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By pw2566ch

I should attend these events. Not because of the crappy booth chics, but because I miss LAN parties.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By scarace360

Man that has to be one crazy lan party. Some guy talks shit to you in CS well go kick his ass hes only 3 rows away from you.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Dagbiker

How do yo even network that many people

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Vexxan

Wow. 

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By crusader8463

They should just have half naked men standing next to every half naked girl. Just because 99.999% of the people going are guys doesn't mean they are all straight guys. Plus this way all the fem nazi's will have to find something else to bitch and moan about.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By super2j

I think w/e on boothbabe no boothbabe thing in general. But in this case, it sounds like Dreamhack already found a good strategy using gamer girls and if they actually promoted them on stage and everything.... who the hell retired there at their PR that they decide to go in exactly the opposite direction. I say Backtrack as fast as possible.

i must say , for a second there i thought i was reading one of Patrick's articles...

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By guanophobic

@Dagbiker: Here's a whitepaper on it http://dreamhack.biz/info/docs/dhs-net-stkj-eng-2.0.pdf It's a bit old, but the same principals still remains. The biggest difference from the latest events is the WAN-connections and core routers, which now boasts a 40Gb/s fiber connection straight in to the hall.

And here's a more commercial-like youtube video:

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By h0lgr

The grubby marketers lost me at "1. - Follow MSI Europe on Facebook"

Fuck off.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Offensive, Retarded, Sexist, Stupid.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By Dagbiker
@guanophobic Ill read that when I get home, thanks
Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think booth babes should remain, but there should also be a shirtless Taylor Lautner looking guy to compensate.

(the problem is is that a male booth babe would appear in a subservient position, and women aren't turned on by that)

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By leebmx

I think it stinks and is only going to stop more women from getting into games. I mean what as a male gamer would you prefer? One woman up on stage in hot pants and 15,000 guys on the floor or 7,500 women on the floor, enjoying what you do, that you know, you can talk to and stuff.

Until the gaming world escapes from the cage of the teenage bedroom there are going to be lots of lonely young, and old, gamers out there.

Also is anyone really going to buy one computer over another because they have a hot babe in their booth? (No right? Right?........oh man:( )

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Azteck

I kind of dislike the whole concept of booth babes. I mean it only enforces the already established stigma that surrounds video games and gamers in general.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Gav47

Sounds like a great way for some girl to get herself a whole throng of stalkers.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Crash_Happy

Seems like an odd step backwards.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By guanophobic
veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By veektarius

They can do what they want. I imagine that as far as their motives are concerned though, they'd be better off hiring hot chicks to do sales. I've been talked into letting my nail get buffed in a product demonstration by this hot Israeli chick at the mall even though it was a mostly humiliating experience. Same thing, really.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#19  Edited By galiant

@Azteck said:

I kind of dislike the whole concept of booth babes. I mean it only enforces the already established stigma that surrounds video games and gamers in general.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Of course they're allowed to do whatever they want with their LAN party but if you're going to do something this involved with your community you have to know who your community are, and if your community is a group of people with a lot of women in it then you're going to piss them off, and if your community is full of guys who find this kind of pushy female objectification patronising then you're going to piss them off too. This kind of stuff also helps perpetuate the negative stereotype that the people passionate about games are all just dudebro-basement dweller hybrids who can't go five minutes without drooling over big explosions and girls in mini-skirts. As shitty as some of this stuff may have been though, I must say it's good to see some gamers stand up and say this kind of thing is dumb and out-dated.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By Still_I_Cry

They can do whatever they want but I find it to be a fail.

As another poster said: I would prefer 7,500+ girls on the floor gaming with me. There must be at least one that is attractive..right...right?!

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By louiedog

I guess it's easier for lazy marketers to target their perceived current audience than attempt to embrace the growing population of ladies who play games. It seems shortsighted.

BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BlinkyTM

@SeriouslyNow said:

Offensive, Retarded, Sexist, Stupid.

I agree. Dont we have enough objectification of women as it is?

Dreamhack, I am disappoint >:{

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mnzy

There are games, like DNF, where booth babes are totally fine. Even dancing games and stuff like that. But overall I think it's cheap and tasteless.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By FancySoapsMan

lol

EvilKatarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By EvilKatarn

I like how the only two pictures sent are of a quite fat chick and a black guy.