#1 Posted by AssInAss (2546 posts) -

This was such a fun movie! Check it out if you liked Stand By Me.

Told mostly from the kids' perspective, they stumble upon an island with a homeless (don't call him a hobo!) Matthew McConaughey living on a boat stuck in a tree.

Saw this at Sundance London this weekend. Jeff Nichols was there for a Q&A, took a pic with him. Super rad and funny dude. It came out on Friday in USA, but will come out on May 10th in UK. Absolutely go see it if it plays near you.

Jeff Nichols on a directing hat-trick. He did Take Shelter with Michael Shannon before, which was my favorite movie of 2011. Lighter in tone to Jeff Nichols' previous movies, but it gets damn intense at the end where you care enough about the characters to appreciate the gravity. Fantastic cast of child and adult actors, great sunny visuals, and again great music by David Wingo with some of Ben Nichols' songs. Yes, McConaughey does go shirtless lol. The child actors were brilliant, I knew Tye Sheridan looked familiar (he was in Tree of Life which had the same producer as Mud so that's how he got cast). The audience in the Sundance screening loved the smartass but pragmatic Neckbone (yes, that's the character's name), laughing at pretty much everything he said.

If you're tired of boring action movies and lazy comedies but still just want a good Summertime movie, THIS IS IT.

Oh, here's a trailer but I'd avoid it if you want to go in fresh and experience a good Southern adventure:

#3 Posted by uniform (1832 posts) -

Stand By Me is a favorite of mine. One of my top theater experiences that stuck with me for days. Interesting you bring it up as I see a little River in the boy in the first picture.

I can't wait to see this, as Take Shelter was a top 5 for me in 2011. Unfortunately, Take Shelter was never screened in my area. We used to have a couple small theaters that used to play indie and art house film. Sadly, those went out of business at the end of the nineties, similar to arcades and comic book shops. I'll more than likely be waiting to see this on BD, as I did Take Shelter.

I appreciate the roles McConaughey has been choosing these days. I imagine he could have kept riding that Rom-Com gravy train, yet he chose a more interesting, less prosperous direction. Killer Joe was interesting, and I really sensed he was channeling some of his character from that Texas Chainsaw Massacre he did after Dazed and Confused.

#4 Posted by Winternet (8007 posts) -

@assinass: Dude, you took a photo with Jeff Nichols? So cool.

I'm interested in watching Mud. Shotgun Stories was a pretty cool first movie and Take Shelter was even better, one my favorite movies of last year. Although the fact that Michael Shannon is not in this movie is a bummer (because, really, Michael Shannon is so, so good), I'm still excited to see it.

@uniform: Yeah, McConaughey has been involved with pretty good directors in the last few years. I mean, Soderbergh, Jeff Nichols, Friedkin, Linklater. That's a hell of a line-up. Even Paperboy wasn't half bad. The man is on a roll.

#5 Posted by AssInAss (2546 posts) -

@assinass: Dude, you took a photo with Jeff Nichols? So cool.

I'm interested in watching Mud. Shotgun Stories was a pretty cool first movie and Take Shelter was even better, one my favorite movies of last year. Although the fact that Michael Shannon is not in this movie is a bummer (because, really, Michael Shannon is so, so good), I'm still excited to see it.

@uniform: Yeah, McConaughey has been involved with pretty good directors in the last few years. I mean, Soderbergh, Jeff Nichols, Friedkin, Linklater. That's a hell of a line-up. Even Paperboy wasn't half bad. The man is on a roll.

Shannon is in this and he's great! Jeff said that he wants Shannon in all his movies. It's a funny story, Shannon wanted to be Mud when he read the script, but Jeff wrote the parts for this movie specifically for certain actors like McConaughey for Mud and Galen (a funny character) for Shannon.

#6 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Sounds cool. I love Huck Finn.

#7 Posted by yeahno (269 posts) -

I loved Nichols first film Take Shelter way more than I did Mud, but it's still a really good film.

#8 Posted by Winternet (8007 posts) -

@assinass: Oh he is? Dunno why I thought otherwise, then. Anyway, I'm even more excited now :)

#9 Edited by AssInAss (2546 posts) -

@yeahno said:

I loved Nichols first film Take Shelter way more than I did Mud, but it's still a really good film.

Shotgun Stories was his first film, but yeah I can see why people will choose one over the other. I'm just glad he's made three really good movies, and that he can do well with a lighter tone. Neckbone is a hilarious character, also that actor was cast because he looks like River Phoenix (RIP).