• 136 results
#1 Posted by Alfie_Parker (15 posts) -

Somebody on Facebook was claiming that Muhammad Ali is "an ignorant racist", talking about how he's a proponent of segregation and such. I didn't think so at first, but I went to Wikipedia and saw a quote that showed his disapproval of interracial couples, and then I went to youtube and sure enough I found a clip of the quote in question.  

I don't know how this makes me feel now. I mean, I'm black and puerto rican and my girlfriend is Israeli, so we're about an interracial couple as you can get. At the same time Ali was one of my favorite athletes of all time and inspirational to me. But seeing this makes me question that now. Talking about how people of different ethnic groups shouldn't mix and such is the same sort of talk that those race supremacists use. The only one who made any sense was the host of the show. I hope Muhammad Ali has changed since then, because this is just shameful and I expect more from someone so many people look up to. 

Here's the clip.  I can't believe he'd say such nonsense.

#2 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I also hope you know that Malcom X was a terrorist.

#3 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I am also in an interracial relationship. I'm also too lazy to watch that clip.

#4 Edited by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

Thatès why I try to not idolize people. They never live up to what you think when you get to know them better. The saddest part of that clip is when the crowd starts cheering for racism...

#5 Posted by jking47 (1248 posts) -

His career consisted of getting punched/punching people. How smart do you think the guy is gonna be?

#6 Posted by DerekDanahy (880 posts) -

Who ever actually cares about what Muhammad Ali thinks?

#7 Posted by EuanDewar (5098 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

Thatès why I try to not idolize people. They never live up to what you think when you get to know them better.

"Thatès"

What.

#8 Posted by Village_Guy (2662 posts) -

Oh, and Guy Fawkes was actually only trying to destroy the government so he could replace it with something worse - not letting total freedom and anarchy rule - as those Anon bastards of the Internet seems to think.

All in all, a lot of people are known for things they weren't actually trying to do today.

#9 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

@EuanDewar: My keyboard is fucked up and I canèt use punctuation or it makes weird symbols like Èè.

#10 Edited by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

Weird first post OP.

#11 Edited by Marz (5671 posts) -

welcome to 30+ years ago... why are you suddenly bringing this up?  You do know racial tensions in the 70's was more extreme than it is nowadays.  

#12 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

One of my favorite racists.

#13 Posted by N7 (3667 posts) -

Well, that's just, like, his opinion, man.

#14 Posted by Jams (2966 posts) -

Welcome to the world. Where any ethnicity can contain people who are racist.

#15 Edited by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -

Things were different back then. I try not to judge.

In other news, this is probably my favorite first post ever. Hey, remember how we were talking about how this famous boxer was racist? No? Well he was and here's the video proof!

#16 Posted by Alfie_Parker (15 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:

Thatès why I try to not idolize people. They never live up to what you think when you get to know them better. The saddest part of that clip is when the crowd starts cheering for racism...

Tell me about it man.  
@DerekDanahy said:

A lot of people. It's like that with many celebrities and sports icons. Unfortunately, when famous people say ignorant things a lot of susceptible minds will interpret what they say as truth.

@Village_Guy said:

Oh, and Guy Fawkes was actually only trying to destroy the government so he could replace it with something worse - not letting total freedom and anarchy rule - as those Anon bastards of the Internet seems to think.

All in all, a lot of people are known for things they weren't actually trying to do today.

Really? Where did you get that information? I'd like to read about it.

@Marz said:
welcome to 30+ years ago... why are you suddenly bring this up?  You do know racial tensions in the 70's was more extreme than it is nowadays.  
Because I just found out about this now and I wasn't alive 30 years ago. I'm sure a lot of people didn't know this about Ali.
#17 Posted by rjayb89 (7729 posts) -

That video was made in Alabama.

#18 Posted by Brodehouse (10129 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

@EuanDewar: My keyboard is fucked up and I canèt use punctuation or it makes weird symbols like Èè.

Check your keyboard language options, you might be stuck in Canadian French mode, it changes apostrophes to accented es.

#19 Posted by IkariNoTekken (987 posts) -

Interesting first post. Its the usual situation where you place someone as an idol without perhaps knowing all you need to know about them.

Michael Parkinson's hair style was awesome though. xD

#20 Edited by DeShawn2ks (1058 posts) -

Oh well that was a long time ago. I like to think now he doesn't have the same views. Anyway where the white women at?

#21 Posted by Knave (548 posts) -

I'm gonna punch him so hard, he's gonna FLOAT across the entire room LIKE A mother fucker. However, that nigga swift, so he's gonna recover in mid air, like a BUTTERFLY. He will then punch me, but all that shit gonna do is STING, so i'll punch him one more time LIKE A guy is supposed to punch, hardcore. As he rolls over on the floor because of the pain, i'll pull out my revolver and shoot a BEE nest above him. After finally getting up, he would say something like "YOU white trash, do you know who i am?". I will then swiftly reply "Yeah, and?". He will look surprised, and follow up with "You CAN'T do these kinds of things to a professional boxer". I would look annoyed, because all he's trying to do is get out of the situation by using his popularity. Finally, i would say "Do what, HIT you? *hits him*. "WHAT the fuck, now you've done it". He will then get up, and start mumbling the word "YOU, you, you, you, you, infidel!". That will be the breaking point. I will snap, and say "You CAN'T survive what i'm about to do to you". I start punching the shit out of him. After finally disembodying his head, i will turn behind me and say to all the white folks in the dojo "SEE, this is how you become a racist".

The end.

#22 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

1) Things were different 30-40 years ago, believe it or not.

2) For someone who's supposedly followed Ali, I find it odd you didn't know what he thought at the time. He was very outspoken, never failed to state his opinions as loud as he could and his interviews with Michael Parkinson always reflected that (there are more, you should probably watch all of them).

Whatever the case, people change with the times. And regardless of his opinions, this is one man you can always find something to admire about.

#23 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

That happens to me sometimes, hitting ctrl+shift has always fixed it.

#24 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2109 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

You've switched it to french mode. Try pressing ctrl+shift twice, it should go back to english. You can disable that as well, I forget how, it's probably in the advanced keyboard settings.

#25 Posted by Foxtrot0245 (319 posts) -

I wonder if the response would be the same if it were a white athlete making the exact same statements. Somehow, I doubt it.

#26 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

Why are sports figures even idolized? Disgusting how shallow one can be to worship a physique. Muhammad Ali wasn't even the first African boxer. What did he even accomplish that was truly significant? It's a damn shame how most don't even know of greats like Desmond Tutu or Nelson Mandela

#27 Posted by Alfie_Parker (15 posts) -
@SlasherMan said:

1) Things were different 30-40 years ago, believe it or not.

There were a lot of people who still weren't racist 30-40 years ago. And I still don't think one who felt that strongly about a topic like that would change his/her mind.

2) For someone who's supposedly followed Ali, I find it odd you didn't know what he thought at the time. He was very outspoken, never failed to state his opinions as loud as he could and his interviews with Michael Parkinson always reflected that (there are more, you should probably watch all of them). 

I followed his legendary performances in the boxing ring, not his politics.

Whatever the case, people change with the times. And regardless of his opinions, this is one man you can always find something to admire about. 

He has a lot of fine qualities that I admire. But I don't think that excuses these thoughts he expressed. Yes it happened a long time ago, and I guess I can't necessarily be angry at him for something that happened that far back. But it's like a part of your reality changes when finding out someone who admire possesses a really bad quality.

#28 Posted by DerekDanahy (880 posts) -

@Alfie_Parker said:

@DerekDanahy said:

A lot of people. It's like that with many celebrities and sports icons. Unfortunately, when famous people say ignorant things a lot of susceptible minds will interpret what they say as truth.

Well I suppose it's my opinion that anyone who cares about what a celebrity or sports icon thinks is probably intellectually vapid.

#29 Posted by amir90 (2178 posts) -

Actually, he seemed more like a religious bigot, and I found it funny how he talks about killing his "race", when he himself obviously has some white in his family.

Also a couple where one is black, and the other one isn't it always be "black", I swear some of the "black" people I see on movies are paler than me.

But anyways, as mentioned, was a long time ago, most people don't care who you date and get kids with.

#30 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2109 posts) -

@deathstriker666 said:

Why are sports figures even idolized? Disgusting how shallow one can be to worship a physique. Muhammad Ali wasn't even the first African boxer. What did he even accomplish that was truly significant? It's a damn shame how most don't even know of greats like Desmond Tutu or Nelson Mandela

I think its more about the skill and lightning fast reflexes, as well as the ability to take a massive amount of punishment. People who only care about physique would worship body-builders. It's the same thing as us gamers looking up to SC2 pros, their level of skill is mind boggling.

#31 Posted by HelpImUpsideDown (36 posts) -

@Marz said:

welcome to 30+ years ago... why are you suddenly bringing this up? You do know racial tensions in the 70's was more extreme than it is nowadays.

If only that were true :(

#32 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

@Alfie_Parker said:

There were a lot of people who still weren't racist 30-40 years ago. And I still don't think one who felt that strongly about a topic like that would change his/her mind

And there were a lot more who were, on all sides. You shouldn't forget that he was part of a group that had to struggle with racism every day, and like someone else said, racial tensions were really high. It's easy for opinions like that to take form in such environments.

Whatever the case, my point about change still stands. For all you know, he doesn't actually believe that anymore (not that you'll know for sure either way, but people do change for better or for worse). Ultimately, people are still people no matter how high a pedestal you place them on. You're bound to find things you won't like if you look hard enough.

#33 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

Am I shaking my head in disagreement with Ali, or am I doing an impression of him? It's a lot a bit of both.

#34 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1577 posts) -

Send him pictures of you and your girlfriend. That'll show him.

#35 Edited by CookieMonster (2448 posts) -

His views came off as extreme, for sure, and there was a lot I disagree on (his analogies were a bit shit too), but there were one or two points that I agreed with. 'Its nature to want to be with your own' particularly resonated at the end. Not that I go by this, but it makes sense to want to breed with your own kind. Also, this is ancient. His views could have changed by now, and despite his views at the time, you mustn't forget hes one of the greatest, most interesting sportsman of all time, and changed the sport of boxing forever.

#36 Posted by Voxus (349 posts) -

If you got punched in the head over a thousand times you'd probably think up some crazy bullshit too.

But no, just kidding. I'm going to bang my asian wife tonight just for him though.

#37 Posted by Aetheldod (3726 posts) -

Well people have the right to have ideologies that doesnt fit with yours .... for best or worse ; as long as they dont act on them. I agree with Ali in here , but that is just me and I would never ever make peoples life harder because of that .... my rights begins were yours ends and before I get flack I am from Mexico , cant get more mixed than that and I dont like it :/ (but again that is just me)

#38 Posted by PSNgamesun (414 posts) -

When Minorities are brought down so fucking much this happens its only commen sense. Now a days that dosent happen as much un less ur a Hispanic but yeah African Americans in the 70s 60s etc where deeply disrespected n discriminated so this should not supprise u if anything this just shows that he didn't give a dame about the white people of the time who disrespected African Americans beyond belief so this video or he saying he hates whites is no problem looking at what he probably went through. When u need someone on thier knees to feel tall u have a problem that's the white racist making Ali or whatever minority go nuts n voice real crazy stuff which sometimes can be truth

#39 Edited by Khadyn (227 posts) -

Who cares? Most people don't even care anymore since it's just a waste of time. Hell, I'm white and been called the N word many times or hear people call my friends the N word and we just point and laugh at them aka we don't care and you just made yourself look like a douchebag. Welcome to 2012...nobody fucking cares especially something from 30 years ago. I'll say it again...nobody...fucking..cares...

By the way..even if I did watch that video (which I didn't), it wouldn't change my mind about him as a legend and watching him last night in a video throwing the first pitch for the Marlins sent chills down my spine and made me respect him even MORE!

#40 Posted by AnxiousTube (199 posts) -

@Dagbiker: Malcom X was actually not a terrorist. However, he did support the idea that black Americans defend themselves with extreme prejudice. This of course was counter to what Mr. Martin Luther King Jr. was preaching, making Malcom seem like the mean spirited man who wanted whity dead. Although you may think this is true, you must remember that the time that Mr. King and Malcom were prevalent, was a time period of tremendous strife and conflict on both sides of the table. Malcom just supported an idea that gave black Americans far more physical retaliation right, rather than turning the, "turn the other cheek," ideal that King presented.

@Alfie_Parker: Yes, Ali was racist, but so were a lot of people that were born out of that time period. Does it make him a better man that he supports such ideas? No, definitely not. What it does do, however, is it makes him far more human, something that we should try to find in all individuals who we hold high regard to. To realize that he is more human than you originally thought may jar you, but in reality it's just a fact of life. No one is perfect.

#41 Posted by stinky (1554 posts) -

he mellowed out later in life.

if you are actually interested in ali i would look into the period he grew up in.

i would not blame anyone coming out of that time period for having racist beliefs, how could you not with segregation?

he isn't preaching hate in the video either, more so a feeling that he can not identify with someone who isn't his same color and projecting his experience to others.

not being allowed to sit in the front of a bus with white people may have added to these feelings.

#42 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

@Alfie_Parker said:

@Village_Guy said:

Really? Where did you get that information? I'd like to read about it.

That's extremely common knowledge and is readily available knowledge. Guy Fawkes was trying to install an extremist Catholic government.

#43 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2699 posts) -

@rjayb89 said:

That video was made in Alabama.

#44 Posted by JordanK85 (140 posts) -

Greatness does not equal perfection.

#45 Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

Yeah, when you place people on a higher pedestal because how 'high' they are seen in society, it can only lead to disappointment.

#46 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@N7 said:

Well, that's just, like, his opinion, man.

Somehow it's funnier without the image because I have to picture it in my head.

#47 Posted by Rattle618 (1456 posts) -

You don´t ask a nuclear physicist to perform Bach´s Chaconne, so don´t ask an athlete to provide intelligent insights about anything.

#48 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Give the guy a break, he grew up in the most racist time in America. The guy won a gold medal at the Olympics and then couldnt dine in a restaraunt because he was black, proceeded to throw medal into river. I have nothing but respect for this guy.

#49 Posted by Milkman (17320 posts) -

That was a long time ago. The world was a different place. My grandfather who fought in World War II says tons of racist shit (though I'm certain he means well) and while I'm not going to excuse it, you have to realize that that's just how things were.

#50 Posted by Karkarov (3279 posts) -

It is strange I listened to the interview and all I heard was "I am a black guy, I like being me and I like other black people so no I don't want to get with someone who isn't black. I also don't understand why a white guy would want to get with someone other than a white chick. We didn't grow up in the same place, with the same culture, with the same religion, and I want to stick with people who were raised like me and I think other people should do the same."

I must have missed the part where he says white/hispanic/asian/etc people are scum who need to be taken out and shot. Is what he said "offensive"? Maybe a little. Was it said in the most.... politically correct manner? No. But it doesn't mean he is a racist. Racism is more than just wanting black people to stick with black people. It is about thinking the other people are inferior to you because they are different from you. That he never actually said.