Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By PufferFiz
Black_Rose said:
"joey said:
"Stevie Wonder used autotune while performing with the Jonas Brothers at the Grammy Awards."
I tuned in to see the grammys and this was the first thing i saw. I almost vomited."
In case anyone is curious:

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By turboman

welp, atleast we got a kickass performance by radiohead....

the old people that still care about awards are happy....

....and mainstream music continues to be unproductive....

...great.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Nifty_Shark
RHCPfan24 said:
"That was pretty bad. Stevie is one of my favorite musicians ever, and I hate to see him succomb to these trends and acts. I thought he was above that. Well, he is still immortal in my eyes anyway."
I'm guessing he doesn't really care anymore. "Some young kids want to perform with me? OK." Honestly these old guys don't give a damn about street cred once they've achieved everything they wanted.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By HandsomeDead

I really wish people who claim music is dead would just get over themselves.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By Snipzor
HandsomeDead said:
"I really wish people who claim music is dead would just get over themselves."
Fine, what if we change it up a little to "Good Musical Taste is dying, currently on life support".
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Nifty_Shark

It's dead to them. Not to me and many others. It's like trying to get your dad to listen to something from the last 5 years. He's not going to like it. He'd much rather just pop in Supertramp and leave it at that. That's fine with me. Music for him just isn't what he wants.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By HandsomeDead
Snipzor said:
"HandsomeDead said:
Fine, what if we change it up a little to "Good Musical Taste is dying, currently on life support"."
But in that case, how do you define good taste?
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Snipzor
HandsomeDead said:
"Snipzor said:
"HandsomeDead said:
Fine, what if we change it up a little to "Good Musical Taste is dying, currently on life support"."
But in that case, how do you define good taste?"
Personnal and not forced. For example, if a person "enjoys" (Don't know) Cold Play because of its popularity rather that quality. Or if a person enjoys Aesthetics over talent. You will never hear someone mention to you a band you've never heard of that are of unique aesthetics and excellent talent. 90% of the time someone will recomend a band you've heard of before. You may not have heard it before, but you've heard the same shiat a million times before.

Everything is mass produced and nicely fit inside of predesigned compartments of genre. Singing in music now can be easily done by anyone, it isn't a talent, whereas you'll never hear a person like Dagmar Krause again (Of Henry Cow fame) or Peter Gabriel during the 1970's era of Genesis. I won't go on about style of music in this era.
samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By samcotts
HandsomeDead said:
I completely agree.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By Milkman
Snipzor said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"Snipzor said:
"HandsomeDead said:
Personnal and not forced. For example, if a person "enjoys" (Don't know) Cold Play because of its popularity rather that quality. Or if a person enjoys Aesthetics over talent. You will never hear someone mention to you a band you've never heard of that are of unique aesthetics and excellent talent. 90% of the time someone will recomend a band you've heard of before. You may not have heard it before, but you've heard the same shiat a million times before.

Everything is mass produced and nicely fit inside of predesigned compartments of genre. Singing in music now can be easily done by anyone, it isn't a talent, whereas you'll never hear a person like Dagmar Krause again (Of Henry Cow fame) or Peter Gabriel during the 1970's era of Genesis. I won't go on about style of music in this era.
"
You know absolutely nothing about modern music if you truly believe that. Like we said, look beyond the radio. There's so much more out there. There are plenty of bands out there with just raw talent and passion for music. Not every band is marketed and mass produced.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By HandsomeDead
Snipzor said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"Snipzor said:
"HandsomeDead said:

"
You may have heard the same stuff a million times, but assuming that unique and good are the same thing is taking a bit of a leap.
JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By JonathanMoore
Milkman said:
"DOUBLESHOCK said:
"maybe just his talent died, because music already died a long time ago."
If you believe that music has died, then you're either not looking hard enough or you're ignorant."
True dat.

-- God Bless.
TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#63  Edited By TheJollyRajah

It depends on what you call "music". Most rap, hiphop, and the like are really just earcandy. Not music. They will NOT withstand the test of time. In 100 years, everyone will forget about this "music".

I will agree that most of the modern stuff is garbage. I feel like we're in a cultural depression. But there are still gems to be found if you look with an open mind.

My favorite genre of music is classical. Why? Because it is music in the purest form we know it. Classical music will live on until the human race dies. Just look at how old classical music is. It's hundreds of years old, and many people still enjoy it today.
Jonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Jonathan

He did not use autotune, he used a voice box (like the ones used on the Giant bomb podcasts). And this isn't a new trend. Look at him use it in the 70's -80's

Voice Box DOES NOT equal Autotune
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#65  Edited By jakob187
Milkman said:
"Jigga is always in his prime."
This man speaks the truth.
lodar011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By lodar011

It blows my mind when people throw the "music today sucks" card.  Ringo Starr actually summed up the state of music very well.  This is not verbatim but he said something along the lines of "as The Beatles we were really going against the type of music our parents listened to and that's what is going on today."   How boring would it be if all music for the past 50-60 was all in the style of classic blue based rock?  Don't get me wrong, I love Led Zeppelin, they are one of the all time greats and bands like the White Stripes and Black Keys are continuing that style of music.

However, some people think that's all that should be played and it should be the most popular form of music and it's elitist bullshit.  Bands and artists like Beck, TV on the Radio, Radiohead, The Mars Volta and Gnarls Barkly are all blending genres in crazy and creative ways.  I agree a lot of mainstream stuff that's played on the radio is terrible.  However there are good bands out there and suggesting otherwise is incredibly ignorant.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By MetalGearSunny
dsplayer1010 said:
And Katy Perry with Paul McCartney"
Hell no.
Best Grammy moment- Paul McCartney with Dave Grohl on drums. Great to see them rocking out! 
RogueBomber12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#68  Edited By RogueBomber12

Compared to past generations the modern era will never compare.  Music is so ubiquitous that it has turned into a throw away medium. There is some good music out there but in the popular conscience music today does not have the power to last generations and that is the mark of true music.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By zityz

Its not Stevie's fault, He probably heard them, and was like "okay, if you guys want to actually get laid...your going to need my help"

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#70  Edited By Jayge_
Snipzor said:
"Personnal and not forced. For example, if a person "enjoys" (Don't know) Cold Play because of its popularity rather that quality. Or if a person enjoys Aesthetics over talent. You will never hear someone mention to you a band you've never heard of that are of unique aesthetics and excellent talent. 90% of the time someone will recomend a band you've heard of before. You may not have heard it before, but you've heard the same shiat a million times before.

"
People who think Genesis has exemplary vocals while making fun of other lead singers are ridiculous.

I like this rap song.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By HandsomeDead
Jonathan said:
"He did not use autotune, he used a voice box (like the ones used on the Giant bomb podcasts). And this isn't a new trend. Look at him use it in the 70's -80's

Voice Box DOES NOT equal Autotune
"
And even if it did, why would it make a difference? He's not suddenly going to be come untalented for using it.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Snipzor
Jayge said:
"Snipzor said:
"Personnal and not forced. For example, if a person "enjoys" (Don't know) Cold Play because of its popularity rather that quality. Or if a person enjoys Aesthetics over talent. You will never hear someone mention to you a band you've never heard of that are of unique aesthetics and excellent talent. 90% of the time someone will recomend a band you've heard of before. You may not have heard it before, but you've heard the same shiat a million times before.

"
People who think Genesis has exemplary vocals while making fun of other lead singers are ridiculous.

I like this rap song.
"
Actually I was talking of Aesthetics, not quality. If I wanted to talk about quality, I would point to all the singing in the Roxy tapes. Which contain unique style and skill. Don't deny it, Village of the Sun is amazing.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Jayge_
Snipzor said:
"Actually I was talking of Aesthetics, not quality. If I wanted to talk about quality, I would point to all the singing in the Roxy tapes. Which contain unique style and skill. Don't deny it, Village of the Sun is amazing."
Then I agree with that. Genesis had quite the presence.
Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Will1Lucky

Music died a long time ago, I don't see it coming back to how great it used to be either.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Milkman
Will1Lucky said:
"Music died a long time ago, I don't see it coming back to how great it used to be either."
You're way late. And way wrong.
Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Shazam

Music didn't die but it is being buried alive by lyrics like "when I grow up, I wanna have boobies.".

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By HandsomeDead
Shazam said:
"Music didn't die but it is being buried alive by lyrics like "when I grow up, I wanna have boobies."."
Did every song from way back when have deep, interesting, clever lyrics or did cheap, throwaway fun music only appear in the 21st century?
BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#78  Edited By BigBoss1911

Stevie with Jonas......why did he even agree to play with them what the fuck?

Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Shazam

HandsomeDead said:
"Shazam said:
"Music didn't die but it is being buried alive by lyrics like "when I grow up, I wanna have boobies."."
Did every song from way back when have deep, interesting, clever lyrics or did cheap, throwaway fun music only appear in the 21st century?"

Maybe not but it wasn't sung by cheap skanks who are closer to whores than they are role models. (Don't care what you say about The Supremes.)
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By HandsomeDead
Shazam said:
"
HandsomeDead said:
"Shazam said:
Did every song from way back when have deep, interesting, clever lyrics or did cheap, throwaway fun music only appear in the 21st century?"

Maybe not but it wasn't sung by cheap skanks who are closer to whores than they are role models. (Don't care what you say about The Supremes.)
"
Not every musician or success story has to a role model and people will grow up to be whores and skanks regardless of the Pussycat Dolls.
Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Shazam
HandsomeDead said:
"Shazam said:
"
HandsomeDead said:
"Shazam said:

"
Not every musician or success story has to a role model and people will grow up to be whores and skanks regardless of the Pussycat Dolls."
True but the Pussycat Dolls openly claim to be role models. I'm up for a catchy beat but when their message of "Doll Domination" is aimed in my face, I get a little annoyed. Aspire for better implants kid! Great message,great message.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By HandsomeDead
Shazam said:
"True but the Pussycat Dolls openly claim to be role models. I'm up for a catchy beat but when their message of "Doll Domination" is aimed in my face, I get a little annoyed. Aspire for better implants kid! Great message,great message."
That's a problem with modern feminist attitudes moreso than music.
Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Shazam

HandsomeDead said:
"Shazam said:
"True but the Pussycat Dolls openly claim to be role models. I'm up for a catchy beat but when their message of "Doll Domination" is aimed in my face, I get a little annoyed. Aspire for better implants kid! Great message,great message."
That's a problem with modern feminist attitudes moreso than music."

It so happens that this is a feminist issue but I'm trying to make it broader. All I'm saying is if you wanted to be taken seriously, write your own music. I'm fine with a bit of pop, once it doesn't try to stick a message onto itself. Or rather, once a studio head doesn't stick a funky cool new message onto an airhead band.
GamespotNoMore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#84  Edited By GamespotNoMore

most kids don't know this but there was a song withthe same tune called Pastime Paradise before Gangster's Paradise

PASTIME PARADISE>>>> Amish Pardise>>>>>Gangster's Paradise, but it's all good

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By HandsomeDead
Shazam said:
"
HandsomeDead said:
"Shazam said:
That's a problem with modern feminist attitudes moreso than music."

It so happens that this is a feminist issue but I'm trying to make it broader. All I'm saying is if you wanted to be taken seriously, write your own music. I'm fine with a bit of pop, once it doesn't try to stick a message onto itself. Or rather, once a studio head doesn't stick a funky cool new message onto an airhead band."
But it's the Pussycat Dolls. Not even their biggest fans care about if their music is written by them. They probably don't even care if the songs are sung by them. And before anyone says anything, that's not what's killing music.
Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Kohe321

Oooh teh tragedy!!

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By c1337us
zityz said:
"Its not Stevie's fault, He probably heard them, and was like "okay, if you guys want to actually get laid...your going to need my help""
Ha ha, this made me lol. This thread has been entertaining to observe. But just to throw in my 2 cents on the subject at hand: I wouldnt say that modern music is dead just because so many people like it. Its obviously appeals to  todays audience, it just so happens that personally I dont like much of it so I turn back to the older stuff. And occasionly something new comes out that I even like myself.
Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Verdugo
Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

Music officially died with Layne Staley......a Kyuss reunion might bring it back to life though.

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By lilburtonboy7489
Milkman said:
"Snipzor said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"Snipzor said:
"HandsomeDead said:

"
You know absolutely nothing about modern music if you truly believe that. Like we said, look beyond the radio. There's so much more out there. There are plenty of bands out there with just raw talent and passion for music. Not every band is marketed and mass produced."
I haven't found a single rock band that I like in the last 10 years....and I've looked a lot.