My band's Death Metal track (looking for feedback)

• 82 results
innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By innacces14

Hey, Giant Bomb. My band recorded a couple of tracks the other day and we're wondering what you guys think (Metal enthusiasts especially). We ain't too big on solos, just pure riffing grit with down-tuned instruments and guttural vocals. Also please keep in mind that we are aware of the abysmal sound quality, hiss, and drum EQ (pedals especially. We use triggers, but "lucky" for us the module died that day). If you like it I only ask of you to do what President Whitmore asked after they found out how to down the giant space ships in Independence Day; "Spread the word".

Thanks again for taking the time. 

Relic of Pestilence by SEVERIS

*EDIT: Now that the thread has gone two pages long (haven't had that in ages) just gonna post up a second song. Band's been happy with the feedback so far and once again we'd like to thank everyone for donating their time.

Malevolent Lineage by SEVERIS
Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Jams

I don't care for this genre of metal, but it sounded pretty good. Especially for a lo-fi recording. I don't know what a death metal fan would be looking for exactly, but everything seemed good. Though, nothing really stuck out to me to really make me like it (probably because it isn't my type of music).

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By innacces14
@Jams: Thanks for the reply, man.
MoonlightMoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By MoonlightMoth
I enjoyed it actually, you are clearly competent musicians and I liked a lot of the riffs and time changes. My only worry is that there didn't seem to be too much which could distinguish you from a lot of other bands in the genre. But good stuff though, at least to me ^^
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zeforgotten

Sounds pretty much like what some of the local bands around here throw out, so it's alright. For some reason I like the otherwise terrible-to-listen-to lo-fi recording. Keep up the good work!

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By Sooperspy

I didn't like it, and that is because I absolutely hate Death Metal. Seems like it could be good to someone that does like Death Metal, though.

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By innacces14
@AllIsHeresy: Thanks a lot. =]

@ZeForgotten said:

For some reason I like the otherwise terrible-to-listen-to lo-fi recording. Keep up the good work!

*looks at the terrible pile of defunct hardware we used to record* We'll try, dammit. haha

@Redbullet685: ...well alright! lol
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By tebbit

I really like the guitar, but I reckon the drums could do with being louder, especially the kicks. But then, that's not really traditional for death metal is it? As you're bound to hear from some people, this ain't really my genre of music, but I can certainly appreciate it. Keep up the good work!

Zatoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Zatoichi

Definitely some good groundwork there, and with some decent production I might pick up a cd. Feedback is the same feedback I give all bands, gig like crazy, and when you've got people coming to your gigs more than once, then you're on to something. Oh, and if there's a college/university near you music production students are usually pretty helpful in getting a decent first recording together, and they have access to a surprising amount of equipment most new bands can't afford. A lot of metal bands seem to take pride in shitty production values on their CD's, but there's a big difference between lo-fi production and shitty production, and I can't count the number of metal cd's I've listened to where they haven't grasped the difference!

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I liked the music, but I really dislike grunting most of the time. 
But aside from music quality, its not at all bad, keep it up.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zeforgotten

@innacces14 said:

@AllIsHeresy: Thanks a lot. =]

@ZeForgotten said:

For some reason I like the otherwise terrible-to-listen-to lo-fi recording. Keep up the good work!

*looks at the terrible pile of defunct hardware we used to record* We'll try, dammit. haha

@Redbullet685: ...well alright! lol

You made it sound good enough to me even if it was lo-fi (that's what I called terrible btw, listening to lo-fi stuff) so just don't break your stuff any further and you'll all be fine, haha

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By innacces14
@Tebbit: Thanks again. That seems to be the consensus with everyone here being that they're not really into the genre, but if it gets your head nodding to the groovier portions of the song then that's awesome by me. haha

@Zatoichi: Oh yeah. haha We're pretty much aware of that ironic vibe of liking a shitty production. It's pretty apparent around here and the underground scene in Los Angeles kind of looks at it as a joke. Don't blame them, but it's kind of hard getting decent help from peeps who are putting their friend's band as priority one. *shrugs* As for the CD I'll swing one your way when we get it out of the way. Hopefully we'll be gigging around Southern California in record demand by then (record for us at least, haha). Thanks again.

@TaliciaDragonsong: Haha. Yeah. I wasn't really into the grunting vocals either when I first heard that side of metal, but it's since grown on me. I totally get where you're coming from though, but I'm glad you took the time to listen. Thanks again. =]
IcySandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By IcySandman

I really don't like Death Metal (Besides Death and Sarcofago only ones I'll listen to), but I actually really like the guitars!  Yeah, the production could be better but I'm not going to go insane because of that, it can be hard at times to get a good production with no money...

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

Pretty promising. The track stays interesting throughout and I like the grunting. I'd love to hear some more tracks of this with a little bit higher production values if that is realistic at some point. I dabble in this genre but like a few bands more in depth.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By keyhunter

Meh.

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By innacces14
@IcySandman: We're pretty dry on the cash right now cause we're busy getting our equipment up to snuff for a couple of gigs that are coming up. The song I have up isn't the only one we have, but they got us those gigs so I guess they all count for something. lol Thanks for your time.

@troll93: I was talking to my drummer the other day about the possibilities of having a music video. We've kind of decided to take the Slipknot "Wait and Bleed" route and just have it be a bunch of footage of us live cut together. The last thing we'd want is some super artsy video when all we're advertising is a snow plow service.

Thanks again for listening. =]
Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@TaliciaDragonsong
I liked the music, but I really dislike grunting most of the time. 
But aside from music quality, its not at all bad, keep it up.
This exactly for me.
artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By artgarcrunkle

sounds like a boss metal zone, don't use that.

Noccee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Noccee

As many others replied here, The only downfall is in the production. As a Death metal-fan I can only wish you good luck in your future recordings :)

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By James_ex_machina

Musically it reminded me of old Sepultura from the Schizophrenia album except the drums sounded like the drums on Metallica's St Anger. Personally I love St Anger for the raw as sh*t sound. Anyway...Vocally it reminds me of "some other death metal band".

Overall I liked the song. My only problem with these style of vocalist is it gets old and tiring quickly. I like variety in the vocals.

Keep it up!

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By innacces14
@Baal_Sagoth: Gonna post a second track up since this thread is heading for a second page. Thanks for listening.

@keyhunter: ...*twiddles thumbs*...okay. Thanks. =]

@Tim_the_Corsair: @innacces14 said:
@TaliciaDragonsong: Haha. Yeah. I wasn't really into the grunting vocals either when I first heard that side of metal, but it's since grown on me. I totally get where you're coming from though, but I'm glad you took the time to listen. Thanks again. =]
Same here. haha

@artgarcrunkle: mmmm'nope. Way off. haha Thanks for listening though. Appreciate it. *thumbs up*

@Noccee: To be honest I'm surprised we even recorded anything. The equipment used to record was the equivalent of making ice cream out of bird seed and bubblegum. haha Anyways thanks for listening.

@James_ex_machina: We've been thinking about having variety in the vocals, but it only goes as far as having different pitches of grunting vocals. It's not that we think clean vocals are for wusses or anything, it's just that it doesn't really mesh quite well with our songs as a whole. Other bands have pulled it off quite nicely, but those bands usually prefer the hardcore, metalcore genre. Thanks again for taking the time. Much appreciated.
TearsInRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TearsInRain

Pretty good for a small time metal band.  The drums sound very very awkward at some points, but the vocals and guitar sell it.  Reminds me of old-school Hypocrisy mixed with Bloodbath.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By artgarcrunkle
@innacces14: A good way to get better is to get mad about criticism, looks like you're on your way.
innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By innacces14
@TearsInRain: My guitar player's gonna love hearing that. haha Thanks again.

@artgarcrunkle: That's how anybody gets anywhere with whatever medium can come to mind. Preaching to the choir, man; You're gonna be doing a lot of that in these forums. Welcome to Giant Bomb. ;]
ALMIGHTYCHEEKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ALMIGHTYCHEEKS

nice and chunky. keep up the good work

marlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27  Edited By marlow83

I like it a lot, man. It's nothing especially new, but you guys are good musicians. This is better than plenty of bands that are out on tour now (specifically, better than a lot of popular deathcore bands) Maybe shorten the songs, though, they drag on a bit. Good energy, I would certainly see you live. Let the GB community know if you go on any sort of tour, release an EP, etc. Hell, let me know with a PM

forestofdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By forestofdeath

Vocals remind me of a cross between Suffocation and 'God was Created' era-Vehemence. Promising stuff, man.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would coming into this thread, great job man.  The vocals were pretty fucking good in my opinion.  Like someone above said, if you guys release anything let us know!

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By innacces14
@ALMIGHTYCHEEKS: It what we aim for. haha Thanks.

@marlow83: Shorten the songs? We thought the songs were too short to be honest. lol We even have a track that's akin to Mortician's Slaughterhouse(minus the intro of course, haha). But yeah. Thanks again for taking the time.

@forestofdeath: What you said kind of heightened my argument to keep the band a 3-piece. Thanks a lot for that comment. lol

@PeasantAbuse: We get that kind of reaction a lot, man. When we played in Los Angeles for a short period we were always slumped in as the intro band cause the promoters were boasting their friend's bands. The nights usually went with us starting, everyone walking in going "what the fuck is that? It actually sounds coherent!", the crowd booing at the promoter when they came tell us we got one more song, and everyone cleaning house by the time the "headliner" takes the stage. And by all means we WILL let the GB community know when we finally have a CD to promote. I guarantee that. Thanks again for taking the time. =]
habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By habster3
@innacces14
I loved the musicianship, the low quality recording, and the absolutely brutal vox. Good luck, man!
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Aetheldod

All I can say is : \m/ -_- \m/ 

effin awesome duder ... and malevolent lineage is frekin awesome .... im more of a black metal head here but damn it son this one I wish I could have on my music collection (were death metal is very bare I must say)
innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By innacces14
@habster3: Thanks a lot, man. \m/

@Aetheldod: Would it interest you if we cut a black metal jam track? haha If not than thanks for the response and taking the time to listen. We've been meaning to get comments from peeps outside the local constraints and comments like yours inspire us to keep the brutality strong. Thanks again. =]
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Aetheldod
@innacces14
 By all means if you want to I would be glad to hear it .... I must say I really enjoyed the songs and Im not shitting you , heck even like the lo fi hissing (I still listen to my cassetes from time to mtime )
ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ShaggE

I HATE death metal and grunt vox, and I like this. How's that for high praise? :P

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By captain_clayman

this actually sounds pretty sweet...except for the production.  did they use a webcam?

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By innacces14
@ShaggE: *squints* Yeeeeah. That looks like high praise. haha Thanks.

@captain_clayman: I'll be blunt; compared to the standard used by many professional touring bands around the world? Yes. Thanks for taking the time though. =]
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@innacces14: I'm not a newbie to metal tho, I just don't like grunting, at all, only tolerate it in some extreme cases.
Way more a fan of stuff like Jorn Lande, Avantasia, the power metal/rock and roll kinda thing.
ghostchant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ghostchant

death metal song with black metal production :)

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By innacces14
@TaliciaDragonsong: I never accused you of being a newbie though. Just saying that there was a time where I was pretty much against grunting vocals. To be honest I don't know what anybody says with that style of vocals. On the flip-side I can't possibly imagine using, lets say, Josh Groban's vocals on any metal song. After stating what band's you're into though I'll take what you said ("...liked the music...") that much more into account. If it gets anybody at a certain place then good for us. haha
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By napalm

That is some death metal-ass death metal. And by that, I mean it's definitely death metal. Not much more or less beyond that. You guys are competent. Yeah. 

I kinda want to listen to some Jungle Rot now.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Xeiphyer

Not my style of Metal, but I can imagine some angry kids listening to it loudly on the bus, so that's probably a good sign =P

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By napalm
@Xeiphyer said:

Not my style of Metal, but I can imagine some angry kids listening to it loudly on the bus, so that's probably a good sign =P

This is the problem with posting any extreme music track on a forum of people who like relatively safe music. You get really awful stereotypical responses like this. You'd get better results at Metal Archives, honestly. 

You may be joking, but it's the same as somebody posting a blues track and then responding with, "wow, that's alright and I can totally see a black guy in a club playing it!"
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By TheHT
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
I liked the music, but I really dislike grunting most of the time.  But aside from music quality, its not at all bad, keep it up.
Yup.

Without the vocals I could see myself giving this a listen on my own time. No offence.
innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By innacces14
@ghostchant: Hahaha! We weren't trying for that kind of production, but I guess I can't really complain now that there are comments praising the quality. lol

@Napalm: I didn't really find any problem with Xeiphyer's comment. I've taken notice that what usually makes up a crowd for us at a gig are a bunch of angry kids along with the beer bellied metal vets so, yeah, kind of a stereotype, but I doubt I'm gonna see anybody who sings to Eric Whitacre compositions at our shows. haha Thanks for the response and your time, man.

@TheHT: None taken, haha. Thanks for listening.
Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#46  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

Man, Malevolent Lineage is a cool track too. Quite impressed with what you achieve with the equipment you've got at your disposal. Nice variety and good songwriting. Guitars and vocals still stand out the most to me but that's partly my bias, I'm sure. I usually notice the other stuff like drums later 'cause that seems to be how my brain works ;)

Maybe you can get a chance to participate in some sort of contest/ concert where you'll get the chance to record an EP or short album if you win?

I know some of my buddies got to record very decent stuff (at least) via that route, even in absolutely non-mainstream genres and ended up having a very nice demo and the experience you get by performing in general. One of those bands even got a pretty sweet tour out of it, giving them the opportunity to reach a whole lot of new people.

Anyway, hope you get the chance to go somewhere with this, it seems well worth it quality-wise!

forestofdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By forestofdeath
@innacces14: Here's hoping I didn't just create a rift amongst you three. But there's such raw spirit to the music that I can imagine it diluting under the pressure of more members. Can I ask which bands you all are inspired by?
innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By innacces14
@Baal_Sagoth: Thanks for the good wishes, man. Means a lot. =]

@forestofdeath: I really don't know where to begin to answer your question. We all have such different tastes if you get down the nitty gritty of it (Skatallites, Forest Mighty Black, The Eagles, etc.), but we aren't up our asses about it. For example me being a huge Rush fan I'm not gonna say that we should do a 12 minute epic track about pissed off trees. haha I guess the one band we can easily rely on saying we all love to death is Black Sabbath. There's just this power to their songs that is overlooked quite a bit with bands these days because Sabbath never did blast beats at 240 bpms. lol But the most surprising thing about their music is that it sounds better these days running under modern equipment. Their songs are the musical equivalent of wine (to us at least).

But yeah. Sometimes there are bands that one of us find hard to get into. The guitar player and I love (up to Follow the Reaper) Children of Bodom, the drummer and gits love Tool (still trying to find a good day to sit down and listen to Undertow), and the drummer and I love Dream Theater (the length of their songs puts our guitar player off, but we ain't hurrying the guy). All in all we just wanna play brutal ass music. We've played a couple of times already and shows almost always seem to stop during our set because the crowd circle-pitted too hard. Sucks that we never got to play the entire set, but damn us if we didn't leave an impression on those cats. haha
Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By Master_Funk

Like most death metal, it scared the shit out of me. I guess that means its good death metal?

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#50  Edited By Vinny_Says

I'm no enthusiast, but that seemed death-metaly to me. The guitar is pretty good.