#1 Edited by tunaburn (1891 posts) -

I posted my bands last demo a while ago with mixed opinions. Here is what we have been working on since then.

We have 8 songs being finalized. We are doing them all ourselves so its still a demo but heres what we got.

In case you dont know im the vocalist and this is metal music. So if you dont like metal this wont be for you.

We purposely didnt put our craziest songs up first. Wanted something a little simpler for our first song up. Should be uploading a song every other week or so for a while.

Anyways tell me what you think!

https://www.facebook.com/FurthestFromFaith

edit: i couldnt figure out how to just link the song so i just linked our facebook page. you can click the music page from there :)

#3 Edited by mercutio123 (471 posts) -

Is this Djent? Sorry but I have no idea what Djent is and people keep saying it to me!

#4 Edited by tunaburn (1891 posts) -
#5 Posted by tunaburn (1891 posts) -
#6 Posted by Harkat (1102 posts) -

Wait, I've been gone for a while. Weren't you a UFC fighter as well?

#7 Edited by captain_clayman (3322 posts) -

Not bad. Riffs could be a bit more interesting but as you said this is one of the simpler songs off the album. I liked the breakdown with the heavy whammy bar right at the end. Overall pretty solid job!

#8 Posted by chiablo (940 posts) -
#9 Posted by tunaburn (1891 posts) -

@harkat said:

Wait, I've been gone for a while. Weren't you a UFC fighter as well?

not in the ufc. but yes an mma fighter. did good in my amateur matches but after some pretty intense injuries during my "pro" career i quit that to go back to music... for now at least!

#10 Edited by tunaburn (1891 posts) -

@chiablo: @captain_clayman devin townsend is my idol. i worship that man! wait til you hear our other songs. some of them are very different and odd. we have a song called cruci-fried chicken that is half old school country half speed metal. i think we will put that up 3rd. i just didnt want to put anything to odd up first since its what is being listened to when booking shows.

#11 Posted by Xanadu (357 posts) -

Hey man, I reside in Arizona and I am a musician as well and I have opinions for you that I will try to lay out as constructive as possible. Overall: Not terrible. Firstly, if this is a group you are in just for fun, then ignore this next comment, but if not I can honestly say your band sounds like countless numbers of other metal bands just from Arizona alone. If you guys are really serious about this and want to make this a career I would implore you to really try to diversify your sound more and create songs that really are unique to yourselves and your own experiences. Otherwise, breaking out as a metal group is going to be relatively impossible just in Arizona, let alone the rest of country. My second line of advice is this: METRONOME. Use it. Your drummer quite frequently rushes the end of all of his phrases. I can not think of a single major group that does not track their recordings along with a metronome track to keep the band glued in together. This essentially makes your group look pretty amateur at best if the rhythmic alignment in the song constantly fluctuates frequently. Groove is key. Groove is everything, my friend. Listen to a Meshugga album, those mother fuckers groove. That type of sound and flow only comes from lots of hours practicing with a metronome (this statement goes for everyone in the band not just the drummer). Overall I would say mostly everyone in your band sounds like they have a good amount of talent. Keep working at it and stay true to your self, that way success or not, you still grow as a musician and a person.

#12 Edited by jakob187 (21676 posts) -

It's not "djent." Djent isn't even a fucking genre. It's just some thing people use to describe Meshuggah, Periphery, Tesseract, and other stuff because they want to be elitist bastards that can't say "metal."

Also, your song isn't my type of thing. It's good for metalcore, but it just doesn't tickle my fancy. That's the most I can say.

As for the dood above saying "metronome," if you didn't have a metronome for a lot of this, you have a pretty hefty drummer that is close to a human metronome already. At the same time, he keeps at the same double bass kick speed for most of the song (I'm assuming "Ziptied" is the one you are talking about.)

All around, the song is just a bit too basic for me to enjoy, but I typically listen for a lot of technical stuff more than the chug-riff type of stuff.

That's the thing, though. With metal, it all comes down to tastes. You know as well as I do that there's so many fucking subgenres and elitests that you'll never get a good honest opinion. In the end, metal needs to be about whether YOU GUYS are satisfied.

The best thing I can give you: loved the ending measures. That shit was boss. Some good chaos in there.

#13 Posted by Sinusoidal (1539 posts) -

Competent. Generic. Please don't beat me up. Your mention of a half country/half speed metal tune sounds far more promising.

#14 Posted by chiablo (940 posts) -

@tunaburn said:

@chiablo: @captain_clayman devin townsend is my idol. i worship that man! wait til you hear our other songs. some of them are very different and odd. we have a song called cruci-fried chicken that is half old school country half speed metal. i think we will put that up 3rd. i just didnt want to put anything to odd up first since its what is being listened to when booking shows.

Indorphine already did Krucifried Chicken: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2teEHCEw9w

#15 Posted by tunaburn (1891 posts) -

@chiablo: @sinusoidal @jakob187 @xanadu oh what the fuck really? i wonder who wrote it first. this band has been playing that song for about 4 years..... well that sucks ill tell everyone.

and yes i know this song sounds generic. that was the point of it. we had to get a song up because were playing some fairly large shows soon and wanted a song they could take parts out of and make a promo. hopefully you guys like the next song better!

#16 Posted by Aterons (198 posts) -

Sound very generic. Other than that I can't say I really enjoy this "new age" metal with growling instead of lyrics and base players that think of themselves as guitarists with 4 strings, hence I don't enjoy your song, but knowing a lot of people that do enjoy this kind of stuff I would assume they would have nothing against this song and might rate it from ok to very good.

#17 Edited by tunaburn (1891 posts) -

@aterons: hahha thanks. my bass player has been the lead guitarist in a few bands that toured around for years so that is where that is coming from. ill take ok to very good as a rating as well. :)

#18 Edited by csl316 (8760 posts) -

Not really my style of metal, but my vision is a little cloudy since I've just been listening to this, this, and this the past few weeks. Some DM titans. Metal September is gonna be something else.

Oh, and this.

Some cool bits and pieces, though.

#20 Posted by tunaburn (1891 posts) -

@jakob187: youre the best critic i got. ill appreciate your post and you are totally correct about all the different tastes. its hard to please people now days as well. but at least im enjoying it and playing shows is awesome.

#21 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

Hmm... I can hear the skills in the instrumental play. You guys have interesting writing decisions in this demo song while still trying to maintain a core death metal sound (I keep thinking of East Coast DM like Immolation and Dying Fetus) but I think there needs to be a bit more coherence or something to properly connect each section. Being a demo track, I can't really be critical of the production (I bet your vocals will sound much better when in an actual studio session) but if properly buffed along with a more consistent focus in structure will help the sonic output and have the listener stay tuned in.

At first I thought this was long but I have been listening to Nasum for weeks so anything longer than two minutes feels like forever.

#22 Edited by tunaburn (1891 posts) -

@thephantomnaut: thanks thats something we have talked about. this is one of our older songs and we have been trying to make them sound more coherent without losing the way we like our structures. we actually had our average song length at like 6 minutes and was like wait a minute. this is to much. now our average is 4 minutes or so. seems about right i think when we play them.

I cant wait to get a real recording as well.