My dog just died.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By audiosnow

Twelve-year-old Black Lab. She lived at my parents' place, since my apartment is too small for a dog. They didn't tell me she was dying until she had been dead for half an hour.

We're both in the Pacific Northwest, so it gets dark at around 5 PM; despite the darkness, we buried her a few minutes ago to the light of a headlamp.

Still warm, with her dog bed.

Cheers, Angie.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't intend this to read as melodramatic as it does. The staccato of the writing is more due to my tiredness and head cold. I'm very sad, sure, but I'm not devastated. This Glenfiddich isn't amiss, though....

By the way, I've always thought people's reactions to the smell of a wet dog were greatly exaggerated. But the smell of sick wet dog? Good Lord. We're going to have to burn that section of the house.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JasonR86

@mlarrabee:

Sorry man. My 14-year-old dog died about three years ago. The next three months or so are going to be a little rough. But as time goes by you'll start to think less and less about the dog. It's tough because a lot of people aren't going to understand how hard it is to get over the death. But just try to tune that out and with time you'll start to feel better.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By SSully

Sorry to hear it duder. Dog's are a special companion that really makes no sense until you have one of your own. Think of all the good times you had with her.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By audiosnow
Avatar image for deactivated-63e39f84edec3
deactivated-63e39f84edec3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My thoughts goes to you and your Dog. They are our best friends, shame they can't be there as long as we are.

NeVeRMoRe666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NeVeRMoRe666

My condolences. I have had and currently do have dogs of my own so I know what you are going through. Stay strong.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

My 13 year old terrier/mut named Peanut died a few days back, fucking tore me up. I had the girl since I was 8 and am now 21. Feels like I lost a best friend, but she was sick, and I am glad she is no longer in pain.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By envane

@mlarrabee: sorry bout that : / lost my darling sammi to throat cancer , had no real choice other than to put her down :/ didnt get to "say goodbye" as she was still under from the checkup on her throat .. felt robbed and cheated , but just try your best think of the good times , and dont go and get a rebound dog hehe.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LikeaSsur

Most would think I am posting this video out of sarcasm, but I am not. Everyone who has lost a dog/cat/pet (myself included) knows that it is one of the most depressing moments in their lives. But the knowledge that many have faced it before and will continue to face it makes us stronger.

So...yeah.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By jewunit

My condolences. I had a bird that passed on a number of years ago, which is the only real corrollary I have to your situation. It sounds like the dog lived a full life. Just be glad that she is at peace and didn't go through months or years of chronic pain as many dogs do when they gets old.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By rentfn

Losing a pet is the worst. Stay strong!!!!!

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By gaminghooligan

as an owner of a black lab who lives at my parents due to my studio apartment myself I feel for you man. Dog's are awesome, and losing them is the worst. My thoughts go out to you duder.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kerned

I am so very sorry. I lost a dog when I was still in high school. He was hit by a car shortly after being diagnosed with cancer. It was a very difficult experience. I'm sure you have a lot of wonderful memories of her, and you'll never lose those.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By psylah

My dog lived to be just shy of 18 years old. He was so old, he had no teeth left, and his backlegs had gotten so bad that they were permanently crossed and he could not walk. My mom finally built up the courage to have him put down. He was really suffering.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TruthTellah

@mlarrabee: That's rough. My long-time dog died this year, as well. It was quite sad, but you move on. Sometimes I've still gotten reminded of her at times, but now I'm just glad that she's no longer dealing with old age and she's free from all of that. She was a good dog, and she died loved.

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By ki11tank

well fuck........ i've got a 10 yr old rescue black lab and a 7 month old black lab that just got neutered today. my best friends.

the feels are strong, stay tough duder. at the very least be happy she's not dealing with old age and it's crippling effects.

IceColdGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By IceColdGamer

Stay strong duder. I put down my 16 and 15 year old Golden Retrievers last year. Now I've got a 1 year old whose just as much of a best friend.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iam3green

sorry for your lost. it sucks when a pet dies.

my cat died from something. all that was left was bones in the yard. this happened like 6 years ago.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By musubi

@psylah: That makes me sad just reading that. =(

muralbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By muralbat

Sorry that you lost your dog, loosing a friend is horrible.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By laserbolts

Bummer dude sorry to hear that. Pets dying really sucks.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By haffy

@Freud said:

The reason you seem so devastated about your dogs death to the point of posting it on a Video Game forum is because you most likely saw one of your relatives in your dog. You felt abandoned by your father, mother, or brother/sister, and that dog filled their void. I'm truly sorry for your loss. Not only did you lose a pet, you lost someone who managed to make you cope with your feelings of abandonment.

Can't be the real Freud, no mention of sexual repression.

Also sorry about your dog man. My dog died earlier this year as well.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By habster3

Really sorry to hear that, man. Having the memory of my chihuahua's death fresh on my mind (she died of bladder cancer in June), I comprehend the pain you must be feeling. Stay strong, duder.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By awesomeusername

You guys are making me not want a dog now. I'm sad now. :'( But I'm still going to get one. One day.

I'm sorry OP. I hope you feel better.

@iam3green said:

all that was left was bones in the yard.

So something ate your cat? Chupacabra?

Man. Everyone's dog stories makes me really sad. I'm going to cry for my future dog now.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By Crono

Sorry to hear it. My old man had to see his dog go recently too. He was upset because the 2 of them had bonded a lot over the years. He still talks about her though every now and then. She was certainly special to him... even at his old age. You're never too young or old to get attached to a pet. They grow on you and really do become part of the family.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By haffy

@awesomeusername said:

You guys are making me not want a dog now. I'm sad now. :'( But I'm still going to get one. One day.

@iam3green said:

Man. Everyone's dog stories makes me really sad. I'm going to cry for my future dog now.

Don't be put off getting a dog if you want one. Them dying obviously sucks, but that's life.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By PandaBear

@LikeaSsur said:

Most would think I am posting this video out of sarcasm, but I am not. Everyone who has lost a dog/cat/pet (myself included) knows that it is one of the most depressing moments in their lives. But the knowledge that many have faced it before and will continue to face it makes us stronger.

So...yeah.

Agreed ... I consider myself troll to some extent, but really this is pretty sad. I have a 15 year old staffy and who I get to enjoy for the limited time I have left with him ... but when it's over it'll be the worst.

Sorry for your loss

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By awesomeusername

@haffy: I'm not. I will get one after I graduate college and have a job and home. But that's like 5 years or so. Soooooooo long.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By Phatmac

:(

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bybeach

Losing a pet is rough. I was injecting 100 cc of fluid for mine to survive, and she did did another 6 months (kidneys). I was so lucky to have a vet who showed up on a sunday for me when it was looking like real suffering.

i do not know for the life of me why I have another 2 cats now. Your experience, hell how many times do you want it? Yet I bet another dog may happen. Peace to you and the one you had, it is no longer hurting, and that matters big time.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By iam3green

@awesomeusername said:

@iam3green said:

a coyote

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By chrissedoff

I dread that day--hopefully many years from now--when I will be in your shoes, friend. I'm typing this with one hand and with the other I'm pouring one out for Angie.

Laurentech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Laurentech

I had to bury my last dog at night, too.

Geralt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Geralt

It'll passed. My old chum (12 years old) died 3 years ago and now I barely think of him.

My new dog is incredibly cute in his own way so that's that.

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#36  Edited By Cathryn

I am so sorry about your dog. I know losing a pet can be really tough.

Some may find it a little odd, but the best medicine is always to get a new pet -- they'll never replace the old one, but the love you get from them is always a huge consolation, and you'll get to make lots of new memories, etc..... I hope you're feeling better soon.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MezZa

Sorry to hear that duder. I just lost a cat I was really close to last week. Apparently when I moved out of my parents place, the cat went from being perfectly fine to not eating and being unaware of a lot of things around it. He was crazily attached to me almost to the point where he seemed obsessed with being around me, so I can't help but feel somewhat responsible because of the timing as silly as it sounds. I know it was probably just some medical thing that finally started to show, but still.

As sad as it seems, cherish the memories of being able to bury your own pet. What bums me out the most was not being able to see mine one last time before they took him to be put asleep or to be there when they buried him in the yard. All I got for closure was a text telling me what had happened.

But anyway, if you choose to get a new pet somewhere down the line then best of luck to you in finding an awesome one. Losing pets sucks, but the good news is there are so many others out there looking for a nice home.

Trainer_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Trainer_Red

@mlarrabee: She will forever live on in passwords.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By Bollard
Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Really sorry to hear that :( losing a pet sucks. Lost my black lab a few summers ago from old age, I miss him. Hope you're doin ok.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheHBK

Damn dude, that sucks. At least she went out peacefully from the sound of it. My mom's dog died last year and it hit me harder than expected. He was small and I still yell out his name to the back yard when I visit out of habit, or even still blame him for dropping food in the kitchen. I catch myself doing it. We got him when I was in middle school and he was just so hyper until the last year when he had trouble walking. He was 15 though so he made it a long time. At least this didn't happen.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By medacris

Sorry to hear that, losing a pet is always hard. Best of luck, OP, and rest in peace, Angie.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By pweidman

Condolences tc. I went through that with my dog I'd had for 14 years, and it was one of the hardest things I've ever gone through. It caught by surprise a bit, but I was told by a counselor at my work that it's completely normal(the crushing impact of losing a longtime pet)because our pets become the same as family members over time. My experience and rememberances still gets me emotional at times and it's been almost 5 years.