spookytapes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By spookytapes
No Caption Provided

I saw a couple of other people do this, so I figured I would do it too. I'd imagine that my musical tastes don't cross over with very many users of this site and that's okay. None of this music has anything to do with video games (though Iron Chic has a chiptune intro to a song). Oh well. Here are some of the albums that I really enjoyed this year:

Albums I liked a lot in 2013 in no particular order. Click on the album title to listen it (mostly on spotify).

Lemuria - The Distance Is So Big

Punk influenced indie rock with male and female vocals. Catchy stuff that's weird and rough around the edges and not overly polished in a way that works for me. "Brilliant Dancer" and "Clay Baby" are my jams.

Kanye West - Yeezus

For as much as people hate Kanye West, this record reminded me of why I've mostly loved him since "The College Dropout". The weirdest huge mainstream rap record in a long time, in a good way.

Pity Sex - Feast of Love

This sounds like it came straight from the 90's. fuzzy grungy indie pop rock. another band with male/female vocals. Start with "Wind Up" but it's fairly solid the whole way through.

Deafheaven - Sunbather

This is probably the most overhyped record on my list, but it's still really good. Sort of a shoegaze/DM hybrid sound. I'm into it. At the very least check out the first track "Dream House".

Mikal Cronin - MCII

This was my #1 summertime jam. The 1-2 punch of "Weight" and "Shout it Out" are unstoppable aural sunshine. hell yeah.

Iron Chic - The Constant One

These are some fucking anthems. Imagine being in a room full of dudes chugging beer when "Bogus Journey" or "Spooky Action at a Distance" comes on. This band is a total downer and a total party all at once.

Off With Their Heads - Home

Somehow this band keeps getting better and better. The most dour band in punk delivers their most polished and most bitter album yet. The lyrics hit me like a ton of bricks.

Earl Sweatshirt - Doris

Earl is back from Samoan boarding school and is already sick of dealing with the fans. Into it. Aside from Frank Ocean's stellar "Channel Orange" last year, this is the most solid Odd Future related release to date.

Signals Midwest - Light on the Lake

A follow up to last year's incredible "

Latitudes and Longitudes

" delivers fairly well on being a great, modern record without abandoning their technical 90's emo influences.

Waxahatchee - Cerulean Salt

Katie and Allison Crutchfield have been making music that I care a lot about since 2009's

P.S. Eliot

record and last year Allison's new band

Swearin'

had one of my favorite records of the year. This year it's Katie's project Waxahatchee. Really great stuff.

American War - Symptoms

This singer/songwriter is from ohio and is typically found playing guitar and doing backing vocals for his other band,

The Sidekicks

. This album is profoundly sad but really, really good.

The Front Bottoms - Talon Of The Hawk

Just some poppy as hell guitar based songs. Super accessible, super fun.

BONUS: Albums from 2012 that I got really into this year:

Glocca Morra - Just Married

Maybe my favorite album of the recent "90's emo revival". Listen to the first 2 tracks of this and you might agree.

Hop Along - Get Disowned

Woman fronted band and damn, she's got a set of pipes. Weird song structures, interesting lyrics, I like it! Listen to "Tibetan Pop Stars" off of that record. Then watch this video of "

Sister Cities

", it's unbelievably good.

Jeff Rosenstock - I Look Like Shit

Former Bomb The Music Industry! frontman released this compilation of solo songs and covers. It's not for everyone but I dig it.