• 57 results
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Brians

For people who don't have photo shop and want to learn how to edit photos I'd recommend downloading the open source software GIMP 2. Today I made this ad layout in it, and I wasn't completely baffled by the program. So I guess GIMP on and make all your photo editing dreams come true. 

No Caption Provided
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mikemcn

Gimp is free, and Photoshop is crazy expensive, i have no editing needs though....

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

'Fuck off and GIMP on' sounds like a fantastic insult for British culture ;P 

And I may give GIMP a download. Heard of it before, just never got around to checking it out.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Brians
@Abyssfull:  you should it is a relatively easy to learn photo editor, at least the program is not called SLAG though?
Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Venatio

Honestly I prefer Photoshop

Tuksit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Tuksit

GIMP is great., for the price you really can't complain.

This also reminds me that I need to get back to making stuff in GIMP, it's bee a while.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By FritzDude

Photoshop got functionalities Gimp can ever dream of. And that's why it's also expensive. I've tried both and i honestly think Photoshop is much easier, especially CS5.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That picture looks like something made in paint. 

Sorry.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Brians

When I say easier I mean for a novice to learn. Not for a photoshop expert.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Brians
@Khann:  You severely overestimate my ms paint abilities
MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Gimp's great. Not as good as PhotoShop (or at least not as many options and doohickies), but I also don't really have the money to afford PhotoShop, so that why I use (and love) Gimp. 

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By animateria

Novice or not, I think Photoshop is easier to use than GIMP.

I actually use both but always fall back on Photoshop. Even if it's an antique version of it (6.0).

T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By T0mF5

Photoshop is so much better than GIMP.

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By oatz

Why not just get Photoshop CS5?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@oatz said:
" Why not just get Photoshop CS5? "
Because it's expensive?
face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By face15

I used GIMP for a while but I eventually got Photoshop. I cant' ever imagine going back. 
GIMP is probably easier for doing very basic stuff, but anything beyond that it can become real challenge. Photoshop, on the other hand, makes complex stuff super easy.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@billnyethesciencepie said:
" @FluxWaveZ: ever heard of the internet? "
There's always the possibility of pirating. Or you can be decent and not do that.
MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MadeinFinland

I prefer Photoshop, though I've taught myself how to use it over the years. As for it being crazy expensive... *shifty eyes* magic of the internet.

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By oatz
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @billnyethesciencepie said:
There's always the possibility of pirating. Or you can be decent and not do that. "
cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cnlmullen

The Gimp is great considering its free. In my experience its not quite as good as photoshop, but like most things,  the GIMP in the hands of someone with skills is infinitely better than Photoshop in the hands of a novice. 

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're worried about the cost, don't get Photoshop CS5

Get CS3, or even 7.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#23  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I've got GIMP. It's not Photoshop but if you're looking for a free image editing program it's a very good piece of software.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Azteck

Dude GIMP is a hell of a lot tougher to use. You have to jump through a million fucking hoops to get the result you can get with 2 steps in Photoshop. Not to mention that the hotkeys are a mess, moving objects sucks and the amount of brushes you can use are minuscule at best. I think I'll stick to Photoshop.

Edit: Oh and tougher software does not mean more complex to master, it means worse programming/design.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By crusader8463

You mean photoshop isn't free? Since when?

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Bones8677

As a Graphic designer, I am offended that you would suggest GIMP to people. You guys might as well use Microsoft Paint!

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Demyx

GIMP is good. I've done some cool things in GIMP. But when I started using Photoshop. It is better.@Azteck said:

" Dude GIMP is a hell of a lot tougher to use. You have to jump through a million fucking hoops to get the result you can get with 2 steps in Photoshop. Not to mention that the hotkeys are a mess, moving objects sucks and the amount of brushes you can use are minuscule at best. I think I'll stick to Photoshop.  Edit: Oh and tougher software does not mean more complex to master, it means worse programming/design. "
you can download brushes for GIMP. I've found some really good ones on deviant art.
Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I like my toolpanels to remain within the same window. Therefore Photoshop wins, & Gimpshop solution still sucks. But considering that Gimp is free you can't hate on it. But PS wins.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Detrian
@Briguile said:
" For people who don't have photo shop and want to learn how to edit photos I'd recommend downloading the open source software GIMP 2. Today I made this ad layout in it, and I wasn't completely baffled by the program. So I guess GIMP on and make all your photo editing dreams come true. 
No Caption Provided
"
Yes, you too can make obnoxiously shitty ads with GIMP today!!!

Just dial 555-HURR-DURR and you'll be making threads about it in no time! It's so easy to get! Dial Now!
Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By Rxanadu
@Detrian:  Don't be a dick just to be a dick.  He just wanted to say that GIMP is great for people: 
  1. on a budget
  2. don't resort to piracy to get what they want
  3. people who want to dabble in "photo-shopping" without a time restraint (30-day trials can be a bit annoying at times; once it's done, it's done)

If you do have money laying around, however, you can spend up to $600 on th suite or roughly $80 for Elements 9 (I'm guessing it's some specific version of Photoshop).
MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Gimp works fine for my needs.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By teh_destroyer

GIMP on? I prefer GIMPing off.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#33  Edited By zidd

I prefer paint.net(free) on windows and Pixelmator($30) on Mac both are far more capable than GIMP but Photoshop is still the best.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#34  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'd say Paint.NET is the best. It's like the Firefox of image editing programs.

monstersnsoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By monstersnsoup

GIMP is a good tool for people who are not doing really any sort of professional graphic design. The Adobe suite is what is being taught in schools and is pretty close to essential if you plan on doing normal graphic work. I'm sure that there are professional groups out there that use GIMP but its a lot like 3d design groups that use blender; It almost seems like they are using poor tools to prove something. 

Also Photoshop inst too bad if you're a student. I think it's something like $200. But GIMP is very good for free.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By StarFoxA

GIMP is much harder to use than PhotoShop, and severely lacks in functionality. I've used GIMP for a while, and using PhotoShop opened my eyes to what I'd been missing.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By csl316

I used to use Gimp, until my new laptop came with Photoshop Elements.  I learned Photoshop when I had access to it in college, learned the Gimp interface due to being free, and now I have to relearn Photoshop.  But I might be too lazy to do so.

ImaLizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ImaLizard

BETCHA COULDNT MAKE THIS WITH GIMP 
BETCHA COULDNT MAKE THIS WITH GIMP 
Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Agent47
@animateria: Yeah I uninstalled GIMP because of the hundreds and hundreds of annoying buttons.I'd stick with Photoshop.There is a reason it is so expensive.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By Skald
@Zidd said:
" I prefer paint.net(free) on windows and Pixelmator($30) on Mac both are far more capable than GIMP but Photoshop is still the best. "
That's exactly what I was going to say.
newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By newhaap
@Zidd: @Video_Game_King:  

Hey thanks for mentioning Paint.NET guys, I've been looking for a decent drawing tool and I think Paint.NET feels a bit more like a drawing tool compared to GIMP, which I think is more for editing.
Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Akrid
@newhaap: Never used it but I've heard great things about ArtRage, might want to check that out as well.
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By napalm
@FluxWaveZ said:

There's always the possibility of pirating. Or you can be decent and not do that. "
Do you use these programs? No? Shut up, then.  

Adobe releases a new version of all of their programs yearly, charging nearly one thousand dollars for the entire suite. I'm a college student with no funds, of course I'm going to pirate this. I was hoping Adobe would learn someday to NOT do yearly releases. Six months after the release of one version only brings word of the next version to be coming in the next eight to twelve months, especially when most of the changes are minimal. Most of the changes are apparent if you go from CS3 to CS5, but year-to-year changes are mostly minute.

Anyway, no offense OP, but that looks like shit. You might as well use paint. You even saved that as a low quality .jpeg. Fuck, that looks more like a .bmp. Christ!
Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper
@monstersnsoup said: 
"Also Photoshop inst too bad if you're a student. I think it's something like $200. But GIMP is very good for free. "
You pretty much pay that for a textbook anyway so it's a great price.
newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By newhaap
@Akrid: Nice, thanks! That one is a lot more artsy, different brush textures etc. I probably won't be able to use it properly but it's fun to play around with :)
Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Gilsham
@Zidd said:
" I prefer paint.net(free) on windows and Pixelmator($30) on Mac both are far more capable than GIMP but Photoshop is still the best. "
I can talk to pixelmator but Paint.net while being really good (I use it all the time in my webdev job) Gimp has far more knobs and dials than Paint.net which isn't always a good thing, I'll always recomend Paint.net to clients wanting to resize/crop photos to upload to their sites. 

Of course a multi billion dollar corporation is going to have more bells and whistles but I pretty sure you can do almost anything in Gimp you can in Photoshop it will just be a lot easier in Photoshop and will take a lot less time to do there is also probably a lot more people posting how to's for Photoshop these days

an aside, people need to quit using photoshop for vector work just use illustrator (or Inkscape if your poor)
Avatar image for mikeofalltrades
MikeOfAllTrades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MikeOfAllTrades

Gimp is super powerful, but it seems specifically designed to turn the brain of someone fluent in Photoshop completely inside out.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By Romination

I hate gimp. I  couldn't use it, it was so bad...

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By Brendan
@Napalm said:
" @FluxWaveZ said:

Do you use these programs? No? Shut up, then.   Adobe releases a new version of all of their programs yearly, charging nearly one thousand dollars for the entire suite. I'm a college student with no funds, of course I'm going to pirate this. I was hoping Adobe would learn someday to NOT do yearly releases. Six months after the release of one version only brings word of the next version to be coming in the next eight to twelve months, especially when most of the changes are minimal. Most of the changes are apparent if you go from CS3 to CS5, but year-to-year changes are mostly minute. Anyway, no offense OP, but that looks like shit. You might as well use paint. You even saved that as a low quality .jpeg. Fuck, that looks more like a .bmp. Christ! "
Can you not just buy one version and use that?  The fact that they release new ones yearly doesn't seem like a good excuse to steal, especially when you can just get a slightly older version for less cost.  
vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Spend many hours in Photoshop 7 back in the day. Tried GIMP last year. Didn't like it.