My Game of The Year Awards, Part 1

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

Edited By jimbo_n

Part 1 will be the first part of my top 10 overall best games I´ve played this year. Platform or genre dosent matter. Its straight up the 10 best games I´ve had the pleasure to playing through this year. I will be making a list at the end that lists games I wish I could have played or played more of so If you are missing a game here I probably didnt play it. Cant play them all, only most of them ;)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10: MARIO KART WII     (Played on: Wii)
2008 was the year of ultimate Mario Kart. Mario Kart has probably never been as good as in the latest addition to the Wii. Yea, its a rehash of a very old franchise but its a very well made and well balanced one. Looks great, sounds great, have stellar online play and controls like a dream with Wii controls.

Mario Kart Wii
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Kart Wii

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9: PRINCE OF PERSIA    (Played on: Xbox 360)
The sands of Time is one of my all time favorite platformers and it still holds the PoP throne. The latest addition comes very close tho. With insane production values that results in a unique artstyle, fantastic sound design and an atmosphere that borrows from minimalistic yet emotional games like Ico, Ubisoft builds upon their streamlining and player controlled story that results in a very smooth and memorable experience from start to finish.
Prince of Persia
Prince of Persia
Prince of Persia
Prince of Persia

8: GEARS OF WAR 2   (Played on: Xbox 360)
Improves upon one of the best shooters ever made. This time around tho, the novelty of the concept wasnt as fresh as with the first one. This dosent stop Epics masterpiece from being one of the best game of the year however. Its bigger, badder and more badass indeed. Epic in scale and with an Unreal Engine 3 thats been pumped up like crazy. One of the best looking games ever made and one helluva action ride.
Gears of War 2
Gears of War 2
Gears of War 2
Gears of War 2

7: SUPER SMASH BROS - BRAWL  (Played on: Wii)
The ultimate Nintendo collection and notalgiatrip improves upon itself yet again and the result is nothing less of stunning. The best partygame of the year, any category. Endless fun for anyone even remotely into Nintendos long list of absolute classics. Takes every stage, character, song and collectible you could possibly imagine and throws them into the best figher of the year. Now also with a cool platform campaign !
Smash Bros - Brawl
Smash Bros - Brawl
Smash Bros - Brawl
Smash Bros - Brawl

6: GRAND THEFT AUTO 4  (Played on: Xbox 360)
Overhype dosent even begin to describe it. But that dosent stop this from being my favorite GTA game of all time. More story focus and with a city that has never felt so real. Rockstar put their skills to the limit. They left the horrible missiondesign and put some very clumsy controls in there but its not like that matters when your living your life in Liberty City. The insanely realized city and the fantastic characters you´ll encounter makes this a Freeroamer to remember and go back to.
GTA 4
GTA 4
GTA 4
GTA 4

To be continued....
jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By jimbo_n

Part 1 will be the first part of my top 10 overall best games I´ve played this year. Platform or genre dosent matter. Its straight up the 10 best games I´ve had the pleasure to playing through this year. I will be making a list at the end that lists games I wish I could have played or played more of so If you are missing a game here I probably didnt play it. Cant play them all, only most of them ;)
10: MARIO KART WII     (Played on: Wii)
2008 was the year of ultimate Mario Kart. Mario Kart has probably never been as good as in the latest addition to the Wii. Yea, its a rehash of a very old franchise but its a very well made and well balanced one. Looks great, sounds great, have stellar online play and controls like a dream with Wii controls.

Mario Kart Wii
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Kart Wii

9: PRINCE OF PERSIA    (Played on: Xbox 360)
The sands of Time is one of my all time favorite platformers and it still holds the PoP throne. The latest addition comes very close tho. With insane production values that results in a unique artstyle, fantastic sound design and an atmosphere that borrows from minimalistic yet emotional games like Ico, Ubisoft builds upon their streamlining and player controlled story that results in a very smooth and memorable experience from start to finish.
Prince of Persia
Prince of Persia
Prince of Persia
Prince of Persia

8: GEARS OF WAR 2   (Played on: Xbox 360)
Improves upon one of the best shooters ever made. This time around tho, the novelty of the concept wasnt as fresh as with the first one. This dosent stop Epics masterpiece from being one of the best game of the year however. Its bigger, badder and more badass indeed. Epic in scale and with an Unreal Engine 3 thats been pumped up like crazy. One of the best looking games ever made and one helluva action ride.
Gears of War 2
Gears of War 2
Gears of War 2
Gears of War 2

7: SUPER SMASH BROS - BRAWL  (Played on: Wii)
The ultimate Nintendo collection and notalgiatrip improves upon itself yet again and the result is nothing less of stunning. The best partygame of the year, any category. Endless fun for anyone even remotely into Nintendos long list of absolute classics. Takes every stage, character, song and collectible you could possibly imagine and throws them into the best figher of the year. Now also with a cool platform campaign !
Smash Bros - Brawl
Smash Bros - Brawl
Smash Bros - Brawl
Smash Bros - Brawl

6: GRAND THEFT AUTO 4  (Played on: Xbox 360)
Overhype dosent even begin to describe it. But that dosent stop this from being my favorite GTA game of all time. More story focus and with a city that has never felt so real. Rockstar put their skills to the limit. They left the horrible missiondesign and put some very clumsy controls in there but its not like that matters when your living your life in Liberty City. The insanely realized city and the fantastic characters you´ll encounter makes this a Freeroamer to remember and go back to.
GTA 4
GTA 4
GTA 4
GTA 4

To be continued....
fr33lanc3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By fr33lanc3r

Can't help but notice that they are all console games. Just out of curiosity, are there going to be any PC? Think of all the good ones that have come out....

Fallout 3
Fable 2
Gears of War 2
Call of Duty: World at War
Mirrors Edge (not great, but innovative none the less)
Spore
Left 4 Dead
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
and the list could go on

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

Looks like a decent list so far.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Bulldog19892

GTA IV went from ridiculously overrated to ridiculously underrated. It started out with people singing to the heavens about how it was the greatest game of all time, and then when I picked it up, I thought it was pretty good, but no where near perfection. But, with every action comes an equal and opposite reaction, and thus the Anti-Fanboy Hatred Patrol rode out with the purpose of convincing us all that what we just experienced and enjoyed was, in fact, total shit. Now that opinion has become the norm, mainly because people are much like sheep.

This isn't the first time it's happened though, and the rampant fanboyism and vicious anti-fanboyism have become an unfortunate staple of the gaming community. I just hope people realize the pointlessness of it soon.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince
Bulldog19892 said:
"GTA IV went from ridiculously overrated to ridiculously underrated. It started out with people singing to the heavens about how it was the greatest game of all time, and then when I picked it up, I thought it was pretty good, but no where near perfection. But, with every action comes an equal and opposite reaction, and thus the Anti-Fanboy Hatred Patrol rode out with the purpose of convincing us all that what we just experienced and enjoyed was, in fact, total shit. Now that opinion has become the norm, mainly because people are much like sheep.

This isn't the first time it's happened though, and the rampant fanboyism and vicious anti-fanboyism have become an unfortunate staple of the gaming community. I just hope people realize the pointlessness of it soon."
After the stupid hype was over, I found myself actually playing the game with a clear mind, and I enjoyed it to an even greater extent. It's no where near a perfect 10, but it's still fun, and we should never listen to reviews to help us shape our own opinion fully. I mostly read reviews to find out whether a game has any technical glitches. Hopefully, that's what other people do as well.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Termite

Ohhhh, Bulldog just gave me some inspiration for a blog post!

Thank you sir!

And also, a fair looking list so far, although I'd put GTAIV a bit higher up.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Meowayne
LiquidPrince said:
"Looks like a decent list so far."
Yup. Looking forward to the Top 5.
Meowayne

Forum Posts