• 132 results
tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By tunaburn
@nemt: thanks for the response to that dude.
i feel the same way about women in the military. it just seems like a bad idea. but she disagrees. shes very strong willed and determined to do something major with her life. this is her way of doing it....
nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By nemt

Reminder: the recruiter isn't going to talk her out of it.

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By lazyturtle

Time to say goodbye. Long distance doesn't work. You get bored. Make new friends and have sex with them. She'll do it do, then you'll both feel like bastards. 

Plus..you do not want to be involved with a woman who has professional interrogation skills.

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By lazyturtle
@EpicSteve said:

But we made the decision that my professional career comes first in our relationship. That might make me sound selfish, but I got goals.

Wow. Seriously, I would immediately break up with anyone who said that. Heres how I view the pecking order: 
1. My kids 
2. My wife 
3. My entertainment and free time
4. My family (not in-laws though) 
5.  My career

Really, if I could stick anything about my career I would. I work to live, not the other way around. The best job (and trust me, I've had awesome jobs) is still work. 
By the way, none of that is a judgement on you and your priorities. I'm just saying how I would react to what you just said.
nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By nemt

"3. My entertainment and free time"

Make sure you don't copy this guy's gf and join the army.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I'm somewhat in the same situation, except she never went active. At some point she is GOING to get deployed, but until then, its all just annoying building and thinking "is it going to happen yet?"

All the times she's left for several months (boot camp, went to AIT twice, etc etc) have been extremely crappy, but it makes it a lot better when she gets back. You realise how much you can't live without her.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#107  Edited By damnboyadvance

That sucks, dude. But you shouldn't break up with her just because she joined the Army. You should probably discuss the state of your relationship with her, and whether it is worth having a long distance relationship while she's in the Army.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#108  Edited By Black_Rose
@lazyturtle:  I would immediately break up with anyone who puts their entertainment and free time before their family. 
big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#109  Edited By big_jon

@lazyturtle said:

@EpicSteve said:

But we made the decision that my professional career comes first in our relationship. That might make me sound selfish, but I got goals.

Wow. Seriously, I would immediately break up with anyone who said that. Heres how I view the pecking order: 1. My kids 2. My wife 3. My entertainment and free time4. My family (not in-laws though) 5. My career Really, if I could stick anything about my career I would. I work to live, not the other way around. The best job (and trust me, I've had awesome jobs) is still work. By the way, none of that is a judgement on you and your priorities. I'm just saying how I would react to what you just said.

I kind of agree, career is not everything.

If you're not willing to meet someone half way with your goals you're not worth their time.

Avatar image for oppressivestink
OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By OppressiveStink

@tunaburn:

I'm currently with a woman who I've been together with for about 11 years. We met just when she was going into college, bad thing is, she went to college in Virginia, I, in Nebraska. So the first five years of our relationship was long-distance.

We fought and broke up, got back together and fought and broke up and got back together, over and over. Let me tell you, it sucked something fierce. When she graduated and moved in with me, it made me realize how a long-distance relationship lacks that something that you have when you're actually together. Since we're back together we don't fight at all.

There's a main difference between my story and yours though. My story has started at the beginning of my adult life and I didn't have her consistently around me until I was about 23. I had all this good time to be looking forward to and I didn't know what I was missing until she got back here to be with me. You, on the other hand, will be doing the opposite. Your moving from a good place in your relationship to a place that will most likely tear your relationship asunder.

Long distance is hard. Too hard to be doing in your mid-20s, you're a grown-ass man, you should find a woman willing to work with you, grow and build a life with.

And let me give your girlfriend a bit of advice too. You said she wanted to join up so she could so some good in the world, well, she's not going to be doing any good in law enforcement. Take it from someone with some experience in it, the first thing they say when you join up to be a federal officer is "If you want to help people, go be a social worker. Your job is to uphold the law."

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#111  Edited By Gerhabio

: ( bummer

wish you well

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By lazyturtle
@Black_Rose: I guess that got disordered.. because I actually do put my family first. I get about an hour to myself every night, more if I want to miss out on sleep. That hour is mine though and its all I've got left. :)
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#113  Edited By Hizang

If you love her enough you'll stick it out, be sure to call each other regularly to keep together, otherwise you may drift apart.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Example1013

Probably fake your own death?

advocatefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By advocatefish

Only both your insecurities can hold the relationship back. Trust her and she'll trust you. Military life is hard and lonely. Someone being there to hold you up when the real world seems to be missing is a pleasure beyond belief, especially when your far and gone. If it's love it's love and you should feel the need to be there for her as much as she wants to be there for you.

My girlfriend of two years left me a month before I left for boot camp.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#116  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Fake your own death.

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By thebatmobile

Hah, the army... I say you break it up and then:

@Sweep said:

Fake your own death.

Clouise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Clouise

@Sweep said:

Fake your own death.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Break her legs or lock her in your basement. 

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#120  Edited By jacksukeru
  1. Sell your house.
  2. Fake your own death.
  3. Go to South Korea
  4. Join the army.
  5. Find out where she's stationed.
  6. Walk up to her.
  7. Touch her shoulder.
RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#121  Edited By RVonE

@EpicSteve said:

No one should let anyone stand in the way of their career path. People who let significant others dictate their life plans typically pay for it in the end. But we made the decision that my professional career comes first in our relationship. That might make me sound selfish, but I got goals.

From what I've seen of you on these forums, I respect you but I really disagree with this part of your outlook.

What is the point of having a significant other if that other isn't significant in the planning of your life. In a dedicated relationship I think it's foolish to think you have your own life plans while your other has his/her own; you share a life and you plan that life together.

Last year I had the opportunity to do my PhD studies at either NYU or Stanford which would've been the best thing to happen to further my career path. Unfortunately, it would've meant having a long distance relationship for five, maybe six years. After a couple of weeks talking about it I decided against it because I don't want to be away from my girl for such a long time (sure, we could visit, but a couple of weeks a year is nothing). I don't have any regrets; my professional career will always come second to the love of my life.

Coming up on our tenth anniversary two weeks from now.

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Vrikk

@WilliamRLBaker said:

get her pregnant that will put the kibosh on army time. :P *jk*

Even if this comment has no punctuation worth its salt, it's actually good advise... It's a fast way to get her to come back home!

Avatar image for uprooteddreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By UprootedDreamer

I say stick it out and stay with her, y'all have made it this far, why waste it?

Solemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Solemn
minotaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By minotaka

If it's meant to be, it's meant to be.  I know that's abit of a cop-out but... if your gonna make it work, it'll be all good :)

5 years is a long time for anything to end, especially if this was an ' outta no-where'  kinda move :(

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#126  Edited By Deusx
@JJWeatherman said:

Rough situation, man. I don't think anyone else can really say what you should do, though. If you love her, stay together. If you're not absolutely sure, then maybe talk to her about splitting up if that's what you feel like you need to do.

I hope everything works out for you, man. I really do.

This man. It's a tough desition but you have to do something. If you stay with her, know that these are going to be rough years for both of you. If you really don't know what to do talk with her about this. Be completely honest about what you feel about her and ask her what she thinks is best for both. Believe me, if you take the desition with her, it's going to be a lot easier. I wish you luck man.
DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By DeeGee

For everybody who keeps posting advice, they broke up.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/conclusion-my-girlfriend-joined-the-army-conclusion/513018/?page=4

Mod should really lock this thread now there's that other one.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#128  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I can just imagine the conversation between her and you when she comes back. 

nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By nemt

37 would be a slow day for the typical military female

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I keep thinking this topic says "My girlfriend signed me up for the army".

Which would be a much better story.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#131  Edited By craigbo180
@tunaburn: Drop it like it's hot.
Ravenhoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 7

#132  Edited By Ravenhoe

You answered your own question. If you love her and want her to be happy, support her and stick by her.

Humanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#133  Edited By Humanoid

Ask her to marry you or get her pregnant.