My lazily done GOTY 2013 list

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Steadying

So here are my games of the year! This was a really hard list to actually make because I haven't actually played many games that came out this year and even if I did, I didn't beat a lot of them. I also haven't played a few games that I'm sure would have made it on here if I had played them, so yeah. Anyway, I hope you don't think my list is pointless for that reason, but I'm just gonna write down a bunch of games I enjoyed, regardless if I have beaten them or not, so here goes!

Number 10: Bioshock Infinite :

Pretty good story, weighed down by gameplay that just kinda gets boring after a while. I recommend picking it up if you have the money and like a good story, but the gameplay might weigh the whole thing down for you. (Beaten).

Number 9: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons :

This is a game that totally took me by surprise. I went in expecting it to just a boring story with a Disney movie ending and gameplay that chose " new " over " fun. " The gameplay part is kind of true in my opinion, but the story was really something else. And while I don't think it's as amazing as a certain someone here on this site does, I still highly recommend you check it out. It's only about 3 hours long so you can play through it in one sitting (which I recommend). The 15 dollar price tag might turn some people off, but with the graphics this game has, I'm kind of surprised it isn't at least 20. (Beaten)

Number 8: Assassin's Creed IV:

I never finished the original AC out of boredom, and I found AC II to also be boring beyond belief. I didn't really expect to like AC IV as much as I do, but sailing around the open seas, exploring old ruins under water, and upgrading Edward and his ship has got me completely hooked on this game. I wish there was more to upgrade, the story was more interesting, and there wasn't load screens while entering towns, but all of these complaints are insignificant when compared to how awesome the rest of the game is so far. (Not completed)

Number 7: Monster Hunter 3 :

I don't know why I love this game as much as I do. It's not as much of an RPG as I'd like it to be, the story is nearly non existent, the Wii U version has frame rate issues, and a lot of the difficulty feels like it just comes from how clunky it is. Also the camera sucks. I think it's just the satisfaction of slaying a really hard monster and then using materials gathered from that monster to make cool stuff to use against the next hard boss that makes me love this game so much. If you love a challenge and don't mind clunky controls, then I highly recommend you check out Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate.

Number 6: DmC :

Here's a game I desperately wanted to hate. But I just can't. The story, the gameplay, the graphics, the music, everything is just so well done in this game. I still don't think this franchise needed a reboot, but if Capcom insists on it, then I'm glad we got one as good as this. And hey, I'm glad I finally found a " character action " (ughhh) game that I'm actually good at! (Beaten)

Number 5: Ni No Kuni :

Ni No Kuni is a game you absolutely need to play if you own a PS3 and like JRPG's, as it's one of the only actual good ones on the system. The story was far less cliche than I expected it to be going in, and the gameplay is really fun as well. Just do yourself a favor and stop playing the game after you reach the point where the original DS game ended, because everything after that is just awful. And don't worry, you'll know when that time comes. Also, Mr. Drippy. (Beaten)

Number 4: Grand Theft Auto V :

Does this game really even need an introduction? It's GTA V. It has that same addicting gameplay and exploration that I loved from GTA IV, only far more refined. It's disappointing that the shooting still doesn't feel great, especially since Rockstar released Max Payne 3, a far better game in the shooting department a while before. The story had so much potential that it never lived up to, and the ending is flat out terrible, boring, and just way too plain. But when's all said and done, the time I spent playing GTA V, was a lot of fun, and isn't that all that really matters in the end? (Beaten)

Number 3: Shin Megami Tensei IV :

Oh, Shin Megami Tensei IV. I always thought I hated Pokemon style games, but you proved me wrong. Hell, I even kinda disliked it in Persona 3, one of my favorite games of all time, but it just grabbed me in this one. Talking to demons and convincing them to join me, fusing them into other demons and reading their little bios was so much fun. Sure, the story and characters were definitely lacking, and the game uses one of the worst " karma " systems I've ever seen in a video game, but the addicting gameplay made up for that with me. Also, I really liked that they didn't sacrifice the behind the back exploration due to it being on a handheld. (Beaten with the Law ending. Gonna eventually go back and get neutral)

Number 2: Metal Gear Rising :

Metal Gear Rising started out as a really cool looking game called Metal Gear Solid: Rising that actually made me play through the entire Metal Gear franchise just so I would be able to understand the story when it eventually came out. Well, I did that, and just my luck, as soon as I finished them all up, the game I was so looking forward to got rebooted as an over-the-top hack 'n slash that instead took place after the events of MGS4, and wasn't going to tell the origin story of Raiden's cyborg form which I beilive was going to be the plot of the original. I was incredibly disappointed at first, but once I actually played the game, I fell in love with it. Sure, I would have still preferred that original game, but that doesn't change the fact that I loved every second I played of this one. (Beaten)

Number 1: Animal Crossing: New Leaf :

Oh man. What do I even say here. I never really knew what to expect with New Leaf going into it as it was my first Animal Crossing game ever. But ever since I did, I found myself playing it almost every day since......And that's all I can really think of to put here. It helps me when I'm feeling down, I love upgrading my town and making my villagers happy, and most of all, I just love playing this game. It's something you really just need to try out for yourself to understand what I'm saying. Just don't let it effect your life too much! Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go bug Olaf some more about what he wants for Toy Day.

So that's been my GOTY list. I was bored and decided to just throw this together for fun, so I'm sorry if there's any problems with it. Like I said, I haven't played games like the new Zelda or Rayman Legends that would definitely be on here if I had, and I'm sure if I really gave it some thought, some games on this list might swap places, but ah well. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading regardless!

EDIT: CRAP! I totally forgot about FFXIV! I hereby replace Monster Hunter 3 with this.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I haven't played a single one of those games. That comparison of Shin Megami Tensei to Pokemon actually put a game I never even considered playing on my radar. How is the Metal Gear franchise? I have never played any of them and at this point I feel it would take way too much time for me to get caught up. That said seeing as how Rising is a spin off and looks like tons of fun to play I will definitely pick it up at some point down the line. As for Animal Crossing, I have always been interested but everything about it sounds like a huge time commitment that I don't know if I want to deal with.

Anyway, great read duder!

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@darthorange: They have really good (though extremely confusing at times) stories and the gameplay in 4 is quite fun. The rest are okay gameplay-wise, but 2 and 3 are bogged down from PS2-ass controls that were not fixed in the HD collection, which I played. I recommend playing them anyway. They're great games. Peace Walker is the only truly long one, the rest I beat in pretty much one or two days each. Maybe slightly longer for 4.

As for Rising, you really don't have to play the rest of them in order to understand Rising because while Raiden is a character from the main games, the story itself really has nothing at all to do with the other ones. It's way more gameplay focused than the others, but I didn't really care because the gameplay was just soooo good, if a little shallow. So yeah, you should totally pick that game up at some point because it's just pure fun to play.

Thanks for reading, dude! And sorry for the long-ass reply!