• 116 results
Posted by MooseyMcMan (11127 posts) -

Update: Today (the Wednesday after the original post) I came out to my dad. He was surprised, but that's about it, so it went well. I've left the rest of the post intact, but thought it was worthwhile to add this.

Update 2: I have also now come out to my mom! She was less surprised than my dad, but it also went really well. Just thought that was worth updating this, on the odd chance that someone else stumbles across this in the future.

So, today's been a weird day. I woke up, got dressed, ate breakfast, brushed my teeth, and logged onto Giant Bomb. All the stuff I usually do. I encountered this thread, and went in, because a thread about people's secrets seemed intriguing. I didn't even have any intention at all of actually saying anything. Instead, what happened was that I saw another Giant Bomb user say that his secret was his (well, I don't know that he's necessarily a dude, but I hate it when people use "they" or "their" for a single person of unknown gender) being bisexual. And, being the rational person that I am, I decided then and there I was going to do the same, and came out of the closet as being bisexual. And I figured I might as well mention it on Twitter, so I did.

What followed was a bunch of people saying really nice things, and being really supportive, and it couldn't have made me happier. I mean, I shouldn't have been surprised, given that Giant Bomb is usually great community, and the people that follow me on Twitter (many of whom I consider to be friends) are of course going to be supportive, but still. It warmed my heart. And then I figured that I should write up something proper and lengthy about this, my experience with this, and being in the closet for so long, because I like writing and it seemed like the thing to do.

I guess I should begin at the beginning. Obviously no two people are the same, and my experience isn't going to be the same as anyone else's, but it took me a long time to figure out that I was bisexual. I mean, I knew I was attracted to the opposite sex at the "normal" age (early teens-ish), but it wasn't until 2009 that I realized I was bisexual. I was 18 and a half. If you read the stuff I write on the internet a lot, this next part will make a lot of sense.

It was Metal Gear, of all dumb things, that helped me realize it. If you're not familiar, the series features several bisexual characters. Almost all villains, and arguably not portrayed well, but nonetheless, it has bisexual characters, which is more than most video game series can say. But this wasn't a case where it introduced me to the concept of bisexuality, and I instantly realized my own sexuality. No, instead I played MGS2 in early 2007 (featuring Vamp, the most prolific bisexual in the series), then MGS3 in mid 2007 (with Volgin, another bisexual), and then MGS4 in 2008 (where Vamp returns). But it wasn't until about a year after MGS4. I was lying in bed, trying to sleep, which, as you may have guessed, often leads to me thinking about Metal Gear.

I don't remember the specifics, but eventually my train of thought led me from MGS4 to bisexuality, and somehow the thought, "Am I bisexual?" popped into my head. It was like an epiphany. Suddenly a lot of things about my life, the way I thought about certain people, reacted in certain situations, made a lot more sense. I wasn't convinced, because, at the moment, I thought, "Well, I'm tired, it's late, and I'm a crazy person, so maybe it's a fluke." So I did what I could to "check." I won't go into the details, but I'll say that some time on the internet helped assure me that I was indeed bisexual, and for that moment in time, I was happy.

It's no secret that I'm prone to feeling pretty depressed. I have been since my early teens. I had already been on an upswing, as it was my last year of high school, where I had finally started opening up, spending more time with people, etc. But, for that moment in time, this was like... a lighthouse? Like, a beacon leading me to... Okay, I'm bad with metaphors, that's why I'm a novelist, not a poet. It really made me feel a lot better about myself...At least for a little while.

Because then I was faced with a question: Do I tell anyone? Given the fact that this was five years ago, you can probably figure out what happened. Aside from one friend of mine, who I told, I kept it to myself. (And hey, friend of mine, I do appreciate that you've been there for me all these years, I only hope I've been a good enough friend in return.)

But when it came to whether or not to tell my parents, well, it wasn't so simple. Because it took me so long to realize it, I had spent years telling people I was straight. And for whatever reason, every year after I entered my teens my mom asked me like two or three times if I was gay. Not because I was acting stereotypically "gay" or anything, it was because I wasn't out dating anyone, or showing much interest in girls (though I can say with authority that I was in fact, interested in girls). Even beyond that, my relationship with my mother has been strained at best ever since my early teen years, even to this day (though it's certainly better now than it has been at times). Anyway, between my general inclination to hide things from her, saying that I was straight for years, and that specific time being when my relationship with her was at its worst, I just didn't. And my dad? I don't really think he'd care either way (he's certainly always been open minded about everything, and loves me (to be clear, my mom also loves me)), but again, I just never found a way to say it.

So, I told myself, "Well, if it comes up in conversation, I won't lie about it." Which is why a couple years later when my mom was driving me somewhere, and talking about my cousin, who was bisexual, I of course, lied and said I had no interest in men when she asked. So...yeah.

We don't exactly live in a world that's completely friendly and welcoming to LGBT people. And as time went on, and I kept hiding the truth, I became more and more accustomed to just trying to keep it a secret. To trying to suppress it as much as possible. And since I'm bi, and not gay, it's not like I couldn't pursue "normal" relationships. I could have theoretically never told anyone, met a woman, gotten married, and lived a perfectly "normal" life. And there's nothing saying that parts of that won't happen, but clearly the keeping it a secret part is gone.

But keeping a secret like that starts to wear away at you. I did, at one point, try finding some means of contacting other bisexual people, through totally anonymous internet stuff. It was certainly helpful, and enlightening about other people and their situations (so if people ever tell you that Omegle has done no good, it's a lie), but I was still keeping it secret. Aside from that one friend (who I never mentioned it to again, and he may well have forgotten (I don't blame you if you did)), I was just bottling it all up.

Like I said before, I've been prone to feeling really depressed at certain points in my life. The last year especially has been rough. Between lingering worries about my future (financially), the passing of Ryan Davis, all my medical problems that started appearing last year (Crohn's Disease), and a bunch of other things, it's been rough. And having my bisexuality at the back of my mind, just sitting there, reminding me of how different I am, how weird I am...it didn't help. Especially when there's people out there denying that bisexuality even exists. Of course, those are mostly the same people that think that people just choose to be gay, or bi, and those people are both horrible and horribly misinformed, but they exist. You can even find gay and lesbian people out there that deny and shun bisexuals if you go digging deep enough into parts of the internet that I wish I had never found.

And honestly, there's been times when I wished I could just choose to be straight. That I could forget all about it, and be "normal." I couldn't, obviously, but I don't think I have to go into details about how trying to deny a part of yourself exists is bad for your mental state of being. And I was having thoughts like this within the last year, so it's not like this is something I got over a long time ago. Hell, even with the incredible reaction I've gotten (you guys are the best), there's still a part of me, even though it's very small, but there's a part of me that wishes I could be "normal." It's probably the smallest it's been since those thoughts first appeared, but it's still there.

And that sucks. Maybe if I could ever bring myself to actually come out to my parents, or if I got into a better state of mind about the rest of my life, I could finally drive those lingering thoughts out. Probably not, given that I live in the US, a country that I still love with all my heart, despite how awful it can be to LGBT people in certain states. Even here in Massachusetts, there's plenty of horrible people out there that, well, I won't go into the specifics, but you know how awful people can be.

But, thankfully I have a community like Giant Bomb's there to support me during my low times, and there to pat me on the back for my arbitrary and rash decision to say these things today. The GB crew, and the content they've made have cheered me up more times than I can count. Any time I've felt down, they were always there with some Quick Look of a terrible game, some play through of something idiotic, or some incredibly long podcast about the most inane and hilarious things imaginable. I wouldn't give the stupid and hilarious conversations I've had on Twitter with the people I've met on Giant Bomb for anything. Same goes for all the discussions and outright arguments I've had with people on the site itself. Well, maybe for a world without hate against LGBT people, a cure for Crohn's Disease, and a few billion dollars. Then I'd think about it.

But seriously, you guys are the best. The absolute best. Though, really, I should be thanking the person that introduced me to Giant Bomb (that same friend, oddly enough), because I can't imagine what my life would be like today if I hadn't found it. What it'd be like without the friends that I've made. Matlock, Chabbs of Abkhazia, Krummey, Fattony, Josh the Miku fan, Abyssful (I'll never forget, Liam), Little So Crates, Mento(s) and Diet Coke...There's too many to name! I'm sorry if I didn't mention you, but I love you all, and I'd give you all hugs if I could, and wasn't worried about germs (damn health issues).

So here I am, writing the most heartfelt and introspective thing I've ever written. Trying to describe the last five years, and the emotional roller coaster that's been. Even now, hours after I made the initial comments (never mind how I mentioned my bisexuality on a Ground Zeroes thread a month ago (totally in context and to make a point) just to see if anyone would notice (they didn't, aside from the one person I was directly addressing)), I'm still nervous. There's still a part of me that would rather clam up and keep this all to myself. But screw that!

It's been a long road. And if anyone reading this has had similar experiences, or has any questions, feel free to ask (just be reasonable with the questions). If you're not ready to tell everyone, PM me, if you want. I'll take your secrets to the grave. If the things I've written here help a single person, either understand his or her own problems, or helped a "normal" person understand what LGBT people go through, then I'll be ecstatic. I'll feel like I've helped give back to this wonderful, amazing community of the best people on the internet. And ZombiePie. That guy always says every blog I write is my return to blogging, and F that guy for that. (I'm kidding! You know I'm kidding, right?)

So that's that. I'm bisexual, and I'm out loud(ish) and proud(ish). I'm in good company too, with people like David Bowie, Sammy Davis Jr., Freddie Mercury, Obi-Wan Kenobi, etc. At least according to Wikipedia, which has a list four pages long.

Oh, and I tried my hardest to come up with a good pun for my bi-line, but I couldn't, so I opted for a normal sounding title. Guess I left my puns in the closet, I'Ll Get Back To you later if I think of some.

#1 Posted by KarlPilkington (2733 posts) -

Chabbs of Abkhazia here, it's always interesting hear a personal tale of self-discovery, and everybody's journey is as unique and difficult as the next.

Congratulations on coming out and explaining your thoughts so honestly, especially to the Giant Bomb community. I am also glad to hear that your parents would be accepting of you as that can be the hardest step. Hopefully America will finally accept that a persons sexuality is not a choice, I truly believe that we are very close to homosexuality becoming 'normal' as you put it very soon (at least in Western societies).

From the replies I have seen on the forum and from Twitter the response has been very supportive, it's refreshing to see a new generation of adults that hold no prejudice against people and can be so nice and friendly.

Finally, thank you for calling me a friend, I enjoy the stupid, dumb conversations we have on Twitter and it's amazing the type of friendships that can be formed on some website about video games.

#2 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1643 posts) -

How about... Waving Good-bi to the closet?

Seriously though, an excellent and heartfelt piece! Can't say I generally have the attention span for long blog entries but that was seriously moving!

#3 Posted by Spoonman671 (4645 posts) -
#4 Posted by SmasheControllers (2550 posts) -

Hey man, I don't post much on here anymore and I'm not sure what to really say but congrats on being able to come out!

#5 Edited by csl316 (8757 posts) -

I'm glad I'm not the only one that often thinks about Metal Gear when trying to sleep.

#7 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

I considered going with a jokey response to this nice and heartfelt blog, but I couldn't think up a funny enough joke that seemed rude. So I'll just say this blog is pretty great, and thank you for sharing.

How about... Waving Good-bi to the closet?

#8 Posted by MajorMitch (520 posts) -

I can't imagine how difficult coming out must be, and I applaud and support you! Godspeed sir!

#9 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

I wish i was bi.

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (14875 posts) -

@mooseymcman: Well good for you hopefully with this out in the open you'll have at least some ease of mind. Granted,medical problems and financial woes are enough alone to drive you batty but hey at least its a start toward total peace of mind.

And I'll be forever entertained at how flustered you get over my obsession with Hatsune Miku. :D

#11 Edited by CJduke (790 posts) -

I've known you for quite a long time now and as your friend I am glad you finally feel comfortable in coming out. Off topic-I'm really liking the start of your new book.

#12 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1855 posts) -

Good on you for accepting it and coming out, duder.

Question for you, though; are you bisexual, or pansexual? Yes, there is a difference.

#13 Edited by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

It's great that you came out and you are feeling good now. True lgbt equality will be the time when people don't have to come out. It's a shame you felt under pressure to not come out sooner, I guess it depends a lot on your family and the people around you. I'm straight, but I'm open to the idea of not being. I joke about it with people, if they ask if I'm gay I'll tell them I'm not, I've checked (like I guess you did?), and put them on the spot asking if they have. It's funny the reactions you get from some people.

P.S. Linking to that video of Rorie made my day. Cheers!

#14 Edited by Dalerax (56 posts) -

I questioned myself for a while regarding the decisions that I have made in the past sexually and relationship-wise. I wasn't sure if I was "normal" or not and then wondered how I would classify my sexuality.

One day I legitimately asked myself why I should have to behave a certain way because society dictates it. I haven't been able to come up with an answer since then, and in doing so I've become much happier about accepting the way I am and the way I think. Now I don't really consider anything I do to be "right" or "wrong", and instead just remind myself that there's no reason that I should follow any guidelines society has set as "acceptable" and instead just... be myself. Do what I choose to do and not care what others might think.

I've always pictured someone getting on my case because I wasn't being 100% heterosexual. I would assume that I would be viewed as wrong, weird, some derogatory terms, etc. But when I would ask that person why it's wrong, I feel most would respond with "it just is". And that's not a good answer in my opinion. Some might cite religious reasons, but seeing as I'm not religious, that wouldn't have an effect on my decisions either. So I think the way I want to think, do what I want to do, and I'm attracted to anything and anything I want to be attracted to. I won't shut away some thoughts based solely on the majority of society's rules.

Kudos to you for being accepting and open about your sexuality.

Edit: Maybe this should have gone in the secrets topic. I hope I didn't derail anything, but I felt that connecting with like minded people would be easier here.

#15 Posted by Demoskinos (14875 posts) -

@mooseymcman: Also, I should add to what I said earlier and say that being specifically named among the people you did makes me feel good that at least some of the absolute nonsense I post on the internet brightens someone's day at least a little bit.

#16 Edited by Yummylee (21754 posts) -

What the fuck is an ''abyssfull''.

A hearty congrats to you for coming to terms with all this and discovering something new about yourself! It clearly still took a lot of effort on your part, so know there be no judgements on here! Least not related to anyone's sexuality anywhoo; your taste in games, however... well, that may still illicit a few odd looks. Racist.

Being bisexual sounds great at that. I mean, you've got so much choice! You literally have double the chance to find someone to fall in love with! As with everyone I imagine, I too did a bit of, erm, research to see which side of the field I was playing so many years back. Turns out I am most definitely straight so, least that side of me is sorted out.

I have also read stuff about lesbians and gay people looking down upon bisexuals. Like how it's not 'real', and that they simply haven't decided which way they swing or whatever. It's really unfortunate to read that stuff given they of all people should be able to understand the complications of sexuality, but hey, all that proves is you've got nob'eds of all walks of life. Which is good (in a way), because it further solidifies the fact that people are people, regardless of their sexual orientation.

Anywhoo, once again a well done to you.

#17 Posted by Fobwashed (2078 posts) -

I've seen you around in the forums quite a bit. Unless of course, your avatar is a common one. This new information about yourself changes my opinion about you absolutely zero amount.

Also, Metal fucking gear. I'm way more confused about what the hell Metal Gear is now than anything having to do with sexual orientation.

Anyway, go you =D

#18 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11127 posts) -

@karlpilkington: I legitimately want to find a way to meet up with you in real life at some point, Tom. Not sure when, or how, but we'll figure it out eventually. Then we can do something actually stupid.

@earlessshrimp: Damn, that's a good one!

@spoonman671: I qualified it by saying it was according to Wikipedia, specifically their list of famous bisexual people.

@csl316: It gets to be a real problem some of the time too. Keeps me up at night.

@demoskinos: It's not being flustered so much as it is perplexed. And hey, you're one of the people I Tweet at the most, and actually replies back most of the time, so I had to put you in there. (Also I couldn't remember your GB username, so that's where the Miku thing came in).

@artelinarose: I do know that's a thing! Every time I see someone mention it and I try to read about it I get confused. I'd say bisexual. I mean, we could probably have a very lengthy and involved discussion on this topic, but I'm just going to say that I'm bisexual, because anything beyond the "normal" genders just ends up confusing me. And as a transgender person I'm not really sure where or how you fit into any of that, so I'm just going to shut up now so I don't say anything offensive because I'm too dang happy at all these wonderful responses.

Also, the "pan" makes me think of Pan from Greek mythology (the goat man with the flute), and I'd rather all the "bi" puns open to me now.

@zudthespud: I actually have a playlist on YouTube that is three different versions of that song. There's the full length one, the shortened one used on the show, and the one with the footage from that and Rorie singing along. And yes, I hope that I live to see the day when people don't have to come out like this. Really, as much as all this support means to me, the fact that it is such a big deal means that we still have a ways to go as a society.

@dalerax: You didn't derail anything. You've got the right idea, we shouldn't let society tell us what to do.

@clonedzero: It definitely has its appeal. Not being limited to one gender in who I'm attracted to definitely opens up more opportunities for relationships and experiences that other people won't have.

#19 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11127 posts) -

@yummylee: Well, it's not that simple (as you know). I mean, I can walk up to just about any lady and start hitting on her, and at least feel like there's a chance she might be receptive. I can't do that with guys. But I know that was said mostly in jest.

And yeah, you'd think that all us LGBT people would try to band together, for justice and love and all that sappy crap. But no, apparently not.

@fobwashed: Nope, so far as I can tell, I'm the only one using a 2D version of York with an American hat and an eyepatch as an avatar. Also, thanks duder. And yes, Metal Gear is pretty confusing, even though it's helped me understand myself a little better.

#20 Edited by TruthTellah (9151 posts) -

Come over here, @mooseymcman!

*community hug*

Thanks for sharing this with us, duder. A lot of us struggle with hiding some aspects of ourselves, and it's great to see and accept the truth about who we are. :)

#21 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11127 posts) -

*community hug*

Thanks for sharing this with us, duder. A lot of us struggle with hiding some aspects of ourselves, and it's great to see and accept the truth about who we are. :)

That's basically how today has gone. A little less chest groping though. For better or worse.

#22 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1643 posts) -

Hey moosey, can you explain the plot of all the metal gears to me? I love the games but they confuse the hell out of me still.

#23 Posted by NegativeCero (3005 posts) -

I'm glad that you're on the road to accepting yourself. It takes courage to do so, and I imagine tons more to do it on a public forum like this. I hope you continue taking steps and eventually feel comfortable enough to tell your loved ones.

#24 Posted by Demoskinos (14875 posts) -

@earlessshrimp: Nukes, War Has changed, Clones also Metal GEAR!? Cyber Ninjas.

#25 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11127 posts) -

@earlessshrimp: Well, it all started in the time after World War I. All the world's super powers (USA, China, Russia) got together and formed The Philosophers. And they started amassing money that they would use for nefarious things.

One of their members had a daughter, who would later be named The Boss. When the Boss was in her early 20s (World War II), she was put in charge of the Cobra Unit, which was the world's first commando unit. During the invasion of Normandy, The Boss gave birth to the boy that would later become Revolver Ocelot. Also, this happened on the beach as they were fighting the Nazis (Ocelot had to be c-sectioned out). Ocelot's father was a psychic who was also Russian, and called The Sorrow.

But then the Philosophers took the baby Ocelot (because that's what they do), and after the war ended the Cold War happened, and the money the Philosophers had (The Philosophers Legacy) was spread around the world and hidden. The Boss went back to the US, and The Sorrow went back to the USSR. The Philosophers were dismantled.

Eventually The Boss killed The Sorrow for some reason, and trained Naked Snake in CQC and stealthing.

Then, in 1964, a Russian scientist named Sokolov wanted to defect to the United States, so they sent Naked Snake to get him out, but then The Boss betrayed him and took Sokolov back, as she sided with Colonel Volgin, the rest of the Cobras, and young Ocelot.

Then, a week later...

#26 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1643 posts) -

@earlessshrimp: Nukes, War Has changed, Clones also Metal GEAR!? Cyber Ninjas.

This appears to be MGS4, isn't there something about weird arms dealers? and...

@earlessshrimp: Well, it all started in the time after World War I. All the world's super powers (USA, China, Russia) got together and formed The Philosophers. And they started amassing money that they would use for nefarious things.

One of their members had a daughter, who would later be named The Boss. When the Boss was in her early 20s (World War II), she was put in charge of the Cobra Unit, which was the world's first commando unit. During the invasion of Normandy, The Boss gave birth to the boy that would later become Revolver Ocelot. Also, this happened on the beach as they were fighting the Nazis (Ocelot had to be c-sectioned out). Ocelot's father was a psychic who was also Russian, and called The Sorrow.

But then the Philosophers took the baby Ocelot (because that's what they do), and after the war ended the Cold War happened, and the money the Philosophers had (The Philosophers Legacy) was spread around the world and hidden. The Boss went back to the US, and The Sorrow went back to the USSR. The Philosophers were dismantled.

Eventually The Boss killed The Sorrow for some reason, and trained Naked Snake in CQC and stealthing.

Then, in 1964, a Russian scientist named Sokolov wanted to defect to the United States, so they sent Naked Snake to get him out, but then The Boss betrayed him and took Sokolov back, as she sided with Colonel Volgin, the rest of the Cobras, and young Ocelot.

Then, a week later...

This seems to be MGS3 but a lot more information than I had been able to contain. I honestly seemed to remember Naked Snake being the Boss's son, but That may have been plot development burnout that messed with my mind.

#27 Edited by TruthTellah (9151 posts) -
@mooseymcman said:

@truthtellah said:

That's basically how today has gone. A little less chest groping though. For better or worse.

#28 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11127 posts) -

@earlessshrimp: Then, Volgin uses a small nuke that The Boss brought with her to nuke Sokolov's research station so the information about the Shagohod (but not The Shagohod itself) will be lost, and the US will be blamed for the attack. So, Premier Khruschev tells President Johnson that they have to do something about it, so Naked Snake is sent back in.

He meets up with a lady code-named Eva that likes to show off her breasts (but is never actually topless), there's some sneaking, he meets a drunk that talks about Metal Gear, Volgin is implied to have sexually abused Eva, there's some more sneaking, boss fights, Ocelot twirls his guns, Major Zero talks about disguising guns as snake, more sneaking, a guy controls bees, Snake walks through a ghost river, is tortured, loses an eye, does some more sneaking, and eventually defeats Volgin, The Boss, and The Shagohod. Oh, yeah. The Shagohod was a jet propelled tank that shoots nuclear missiles.

But then it turns out that Eva was really working for the Chinese, and Ocelot was really working for the Americans (by which I mean the Philosophers, never mind that they were disbanded (he was a triple agent)). Then Naked Snake gets re-code named Big Boss, and he refuses to shake that guy's hand, and salutes The Boss's grave.

EDIT: Oh yeah, both Eva and Ocelot were really just trying to find The Philosophers' Legacy so they could get the money for their respective masters. Ocelot got it in the end.

EDIT AGAIN: Oh, and also it turns out The Boss was ordered to do all of that from the beginning by the US gov't. She was loyal to the end.

#29 Edited by fatalbanana (191 posts) -

To be honest I didn't read the whole post but I want to say congrats it might not seem like much but what you did took guts and it's a big step. Much respect and props. :)

#30 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (1115 posts) -

Thank god for Metal Gear :D

That's super awesome! I'm also really happy to see nothing but positive reinforcement in this thread so far (Fingers crossed it keeps that way!)

#31 Posted by Demoskinos (14875 posts) -
#32 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11127 posts) -

@viciousbearmauling: Well, there was one guy that just said "video games" that seemed like he was making some sort of comment about my writing a blog like this on a game website, but I put it in "off topic," and everyone knows that video games are only about 30% of what the GB crew actually talks about.

Also, thanks duder! I'm pretty sure it'll stay positive, it would have gotten foul by now if it was going to.

#33 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1643 posts) -

@demoskinos: Sadly I didn't get a chance to look over it when I did have my ps3... I do still have my DVD explaining the Old MGS games I got with getting 3 (I think that's what the deal was).

#34 Posted by StarvingGamer (8283 posts) -

:D

Happy for yooooou!

#35 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11127 posts) -

:D

Happy for yooooou!

I pictured that as Bad Box-Art Mega Man yelling that as he leaped through the air, which made that seem extra awesome.

#36 Posted by Marokai (2985 posts) -

Welcome to the... non-standard-sexuality club? I'll work on the name later. Whatever! Congratulations on having the courage to say it in public. You're a great duder and a great contributor around these parts.

#37 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11127 posts) -

@marokai: How about the Let's Get Bopped Together Crew? You know, like LGBT, but done up with Dave Lang slang? Lang Slang?

Well, thanks! I'm not much better at not dumb sounding names.

#38 Posted by believer258 (11948 posts) -

Congratulations, duder! Coming out takes a lot of courage, and I'm glad you've let it out.

#39 Edited by Do_The_Manta_Ray (667 posts) -

Well, mate. You've got half the site exploding in heartfelt congratulations and piss-poor puns (why do the two always go hand-in-hand?) There's little left that I can do except to add my own voice. Way to go.

I liked your write-up, it's memorable in a gentle and humble way, which to me, reinforces the image of how right this must've felt for you. I personally haven't followed you on the site, simply because I've never taken the time to notice, so it won't mean much when I say that your sexuality doesn't change the way I view you in any fashion, but nor do I imagine that's the case for the others here.

There's a fair chance that you're going to run into people with a different opinion on the matter, especially considering where you live. (Between the avatar and the waving flag in your profile, I've made the logical leap to that you're American. Deductive reasoning like whoa, son.) That might range from uncomfortable to distressing, and while I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, you ought never to hide who you are, even if it's impractical. You seem to have folks who like you for your opinions and personality from what I gather, so try to be proud of what you are, as it's essential to the make-up of who you are.

Under no circumstances should you be bifacial. And there's your damn title.

#40 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11127 posts) -

@do_the_manta_ray: Well said! And yes, I am American. I live in Massachusetts, which is mostly liberal, but I live in a small town that has a lot of not so liberal people in it. They're mostly the libertarian types though (ie, don't care about social issues, just want the gov't to leave them alone). Of the not so liberal people, I mean, I'd say my town is not overly conservative, it is still Massachusetts, after all.

As many issues as I have with my country, I do still love it, and it'd take a lot to get me to change that opinion. But I'd rather help change the parts of it that I don't like.

@believer258: It did take a lot of courage! But as I was telling a friend over an IM earlier, it helps that there's only two people that I know outside of the internet that read this blog. That doesn't mean it was easy, but it was easier. And thanks! I feel like a broken record for thanking so many people, but man, it's just so heartwarming to see so many people saying so many nice things.

#41 Edited by xyzygy (10008 posts) -

Congrats man, sincerely. Feels good huh.

#42 Posted by bybeach (4844 posts) -

I'm still trying to think of a completely clueless and awkward statement to pass on alluding to either Dr. Frank N. Furter or Vamp. Maybe both as long as Fortune is included. Nothing alluding to stereotypes of course.

You are as you are. Best to you!

#43 Posted by Slag (4450 posts) -

Props to you man! It takes guts to do what you just did, you have my respect.

Yeah carrying secrets is a heavy burden, it really wears on you over time. Can even physically affect your health. I think being at least out to some people is going to be a good thing for you in the long run.

I hope you find happiness!

#44 Edited by BaconGames (3440 posts) -

This community may be weird about a bunch of things but we seem to consistently nail being supportive of our own in these kinds of personal matters. I'll chime in and say that it's always a good thing when people can better orient themselves to well, themselves.

#45 Edited by supamon (1333 posts) -

Congratulations! I bet that's a load off your shoulders.

#46 Posted by SSully (4199 posts) -

Good stuff duder! It's pretty amazing that a silly thread here could help push you over the edge like this, but it's great. Never forget that you aren't weird.

Also Metal Gear Solid is fucking awesome and your story is now part of my love for that series despite it being outside of the games.

#47 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3755 posts) -

@yummylee said:

I have also read stuff about lesbians and gay people looking down upon bisexuals. Like how it's not 'real', and that they simply haven't decided which way they swing or whatever. It's really unfortunate to read that stuff given they of all people should be able to understand the complications of sexuality, but hey, all that proves is you've got nob'eds of all walks of life. Which is good (in a way), because it further solidifies the fact that people are people, regardless of their sexual orientation.

I wasn't even aware of this until I stumbled upon a random you tube stand up video that dealt with the issue. It was quite eye opening.

Even more ironic is how she's quickly supportive but also almost dismissive of the issues that transgender people go through. "They're kinda going on their own, they're doing fine lately." Everyone really does seem to focus on their own thing, which I guess is human nature, even if it's hypocritical at times. The ending to her stand up bit is also a good example of this, although hopefully that was only said for comedic effect.

Another good example is how frequently homophobic rap music can be, and then those same rappers turn around and write songs about having to deal with prejudice and bigotry themselves.

#48 Edited by ShotgunLincoln (283 posts) -

Way to go, dude. Don't worry about being normal, you're already normal. If people say otherwise then dropkick em'. No one ever has a snarky comeback for a good ol' fashioned dropkick.

#49 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

Grats on coming out. Hope everyone is accepting and it all goes well for ya. And anyone that shuns you, well they were not worth having around anyway.

I'm a guy and I have always been in a weird kind of way when it comes to my sexuality and I feel like there's no right term for it. I find the thought of being with a guy sexually to be very unappealing, but I still find looking at male genitals to be arousing. Maybe it's from all the time I spent looking at my own growing up that did that. I'm not sure. So as a result I find myself only attracted to females, or "males" who have had a sex change but kept their male part down below to be the best mix. But I can only find myself attracted to these shemales -IDK the correct PC term sorry- if they have had all of their masculine features about their body feminized and even a hint of their male form is a turn off for me.

So ya. IDK if that makes me Bi, or just straight with an asterisk(*) after it. lol

#50 Posted by Yummylee (21754 posts) -

Hey, seems you also managed to get your tweet posted on Danny O'Dwyer's latest 'The Point' video, too! Not exactly on the same scale as you coming to terms with your own sexuality, but it's a nice little something extra even still :P