My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Alright, I wasn't sure if this thread was worth making, but I'm really curious to see if this show has any fans on Giant Bomb. What inspired me to make this thread and what made me discover this cartoon today is this thread on NeoGAF

Apparently, this show has a huge following with a lot of internet users. Men, for the most part. An example and proof: 

No Caption Provided
The fanbase for this got so out of hand that Something Awful banned it from their boards, explained in this thread, where two notable posts are: 

@mod Aatrek: 

Don't make any more My Little Pony threads. They've been nothing but problems, and I (and the forum admins) are tired of all the shit they bring with them.

Please don't complain here or send me PMs or AIM messages bitching about the decision. I don't care, and it won't change anything.
@admin angerbot: 

I gassed the MLP thread, I will gas any new MLP threads. If you complain to me in PM about it I will ban you. Thanks.

Not only this, but MLP talk was also apparently banned from 4chan's Comics & Cartoons thread /co/

I just wanted to post this because I think this whole thing is madness. It's just crazy to think that a bunch of grown men could actually, honestly say "I enjoy watching My Little Pony: Friendship is Golden". I was shocked when I discovered this today. 

If any of you are interesting in watching an episode (through legal means), there's this Youtube channel. Embedded here is episode 1: 

I'm very interested in watching an episode, at least, to see what this is all about. I'm also interested in hearing opinions of others who watch it or just want to voice their opinions on the show.
PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Well.. My lady friend insisted that I should watch it so I probably will. I like to watch cartoons, even the "girlier" ones. 

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Why should I, as a manly man of great manliness, watch this?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Video_Game_King said:
" Why should I, as a manly man of great manliness, watch this? "
That's what I want to figure out. Fans claim that this appeals to young girls as well as those of any gender or age, but I'm inclined to disagree.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By BraveToaster

Crazy shit.

Avatar image for harbinger_of_hippos
Harbinger_Of_Hippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I get it! I've never seen this before and I'm only 35 seconds into the video, but this is the greatest thing I've ever seen! I'm not even drunk or high, and it's still great! YEEEEEEEEESSSS!!!!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

Sounds like some 4chan influenced nonsense. Its rise in popularity I mean

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By frankxiv

could just be a genuinely good cartoon, like adventure time, people jumped all over that shit when it came out too.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

My 2 little buddies down there will not,can not allow me to watch this, sorry, if i watched this i would be forced to change my name to Demetra...

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Abyssfull said:

" Sounds like some 4chan influenced nonsense. Its rise in popularity I mean "

The 4chan moderators banned My Little Pony talk. Not sure if it had anything to do with its rise in popularity when it wasn't banned, though.
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By animateria

I like how it animates, and the facial expressions they make but otherwise... 

It's really for girls, I don't see the appeal for a grown man here.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By JJWeatherman

Catchy theme song. I'm going to start watching this regularly. 

MIND CONTROL!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By Yummylee
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @Abyssfull said:

" Sounds like some 4chan influenced nonsense. Its rise in popularity I mean "

The 4chan moderators banned My Little Pony talk. Not sure if it had anything to do with its rise in popularity when it wasn't banned, though. "
Someone must be trolling the shit out of this show. I really can't find any of the general appeal for anyone who isn't a 12-17 girl. I know there's bound to be guys out there that like this, but at this scale it starts to lose its plausibility.  
B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By B0nd07

I've seen the first few episodes, and it's pretty good, but it's not that good.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Abyssfull said:
" Someone must be trolling the shit out of this show. I really can't find any of the general appeal for anyone who isn't a 12-17 girl. I know there's bound to be guys out there that like this, but at this scale it starts to lose its plausibility.   "
I would have liked to think that the appeal some were showing towards this show was somewhat ironic but, reading through the NeoGAF thread, it seems that a lot of those who enjoy the show genuinely like it. It's pretty mind-boggling.
dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dungbootle

I know an adult male who genuinely likes this, and several forums I browse now have users with avatars of it. I try to be open-minded, but this is pretty low on the to-watch list. 

Ursus_Veritas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Ursus_Veritas

This has been going round a few game sites too. Skyrim makes my little ponies better! 
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By thatfrood

I like it. It's a good show. It's a cartoon, like any other cartoon. You might as well ask why a grown man would watch any stupid kids show.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By mutha3

First impressions:

-art is disgusting, animation is surprisingly goddamn pretty.
-Good voice work 
- writing is genuinely funny. I cracked a smile more than once in the video in the op.
-Characters seem like they stick to their archetypes so far, but the good dialogue makes up for this. 

wait what am i doing

(TBH, if the art wasn't so goddamn ugly, I think I would love this.)

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By Animasta

there's still ads on somethingawful (you can buy ads on the bottom, someone bought a fuckin atlas shrugged one at one point so you know) about it even though the thread it links to was closed and moved to the comedy gas chamber, and I've seen at least 20 avatars with MLP stuff (you have to pay for an avatar, in fact)

I like how it's banned on 4chan too though.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kjellm87
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By JJOR64

Didn't even know this show existed.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@JJOR64 said:
" Didn't even know this show existed. "
Neither did I until today.
PK_Koopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PK_Koopa

You need to watch past the first 2 eps to get into it. The first 2 are fine but they don't really show what the cartoon is really like.  So yeah, I'm a 16 year old guy and I really like it. I love the animation and it actually manages to make me laugh. Considering I hate the cartoons that have been out recently, to the point where I would normally just avoid them, this show was a pleasant surprise.

Oh yeah, and its made by Lauren Faust who was behind Powerpuff girls and Fosters home for imaginary friends.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Jayzilla

trolls like MLP. What can I say?

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By htr10

i kind of get how this could happen since this show was developed by the same person who did the powerpuff girls and foster's home for imaginary friends on cartoon network.  she's married to craig mccracken, who's the guy who was one of the main people behind those 2 shows as well as 2 stupid dogs, dexter's laboratory, and most recently, chowder.  the majority of these shows had similar older than you would think loyal audiences at times.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By htr10
@PK_Koopa said:
 Oh yeah, and its made by Lauren Faust who was behind Powerpuff girls and Fosters home for imaginary friends. "
oh, beat me to it
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By animateria

By the way, threads like this where grown males watch an episode to discuss why it would appeal to the male audience probably is one of the reasons why there is a big audience of men. 

We are sort of at the age where we don't have a strong negative reaction to 'girly' things, and just take it at a somewhat neutral stance. 

@PK_Koopa:
 The creator of Fosters eh? I might need to watch a couple more episodes. I liked that show.

PK_Koopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PK_Koopa
@htr10: lol you gave way more details than I did. I didn't even know she was married to McCracken. :o
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@htr10: Ah, interesting. The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends definitely appealed to a wide audience, so I see how elements of those shows could be part of this one. Still, this is My Little Pony... Whatever, I'm not done watching episode 1 and I may watch a couple more to determine what I think of it.
jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
@Ursus_Veritas: oh god I can't stop laughing! 

Back on topic, I think Its ok. I mean it is a kids show after all so I'm not expecting it to really appeal to me. As for it harming my manliness, I lost that when I decided to spending a Saturday at home on a video game website.
craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By craigbo180

I a huge fan of MLP. The art style is amazing and some of the episodes are very moving emotionally.

Terry_Bogard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Terry_Bogard

I just watched the first episode and it wasn't really that bad. I could see myself watching it again... maybe.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By Zippedbinders
@drag said:
" It's well made and pretty funny sometimes. But mostly just a case of something being a hundred times better when you're watching it alongside other people and talking about it at the same time. "
This is pretty much it. 

As a male illustrator who dabbles in animation, I watch a metric shit ton of cartoons. Like, way more animation than live action at this point. MLP is simply a really well constructed show, the designs are colorful and sharp, the animation is fluid and lively, and the backgrounds are absolute eye candy bursting with color and whimsy. The writing is equally as strong with comedic highs, entertaining characters, and life lessons out the wazzoo. The target demographic is clearly tween girls and younger, but its written to broadly appeal to whoever might be watching, which as drag said, is infinitely more entertaining when you have a group of like-minded friends.

Its basically tapping into the same zone that Transformers, He-Man, and the original MLP were in back in the 80's; only this time, its actually handled with care and craft of people who care about animation.
Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By Gerhabio

The archetypes are pretty strict, but otherwise it's just a cartoon. 

I don't like the 2000's cartoon philosophy and sensibilities that much. I miss the 90's. Now cartoons are all about emulating contemporary ways of child-speak and awkwardness. There's still some good cartoons out there that are more 90-ish and rely on absurdity and surrealism more though like The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#37  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I wouldn't take anything that 4chan or Something Awful do too seriously.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#38  Edited By donutfever

I stopped watching at "Unicorn Powers".  
@FluxWaveZ said:

"  It's just crazy to think that a bunch of grown men could actually, honestly say "I enjoy watching My Little Pony: Friendship is Golden". 
Yeah, but I can guarantee you a lot of the people would say the same thing about video games. But those people are wrong.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@DonutFever: True. But to be fair to myself, there's a difference between saying you like video games as a whole and saying "I like Barbie: The Island Princess" just like there's a difference between saying you like cartoons and saying "I like Friendship is Golden". 

I watched episode 1 and 2. The animation is great, but I can't say that I like the show very much. I don't find it particularly funny and I can see that each episode will focus on hitting one on the head with some important life lesson. I would say that this is a cool show for kids of any gender, but I still don't see the appeal to older audiences other than the moments that are meant to be funny.
Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

You know, when I saw that back in the day, I was surprised. But actually, that's pretty typical of most Youtube videos...\ 
 /making excuses

Vitius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Vitius

I came across a youtube poop of the show and after that instantly got sucked in..... I found out about its popularity afterwards. I can't really explain why I like it. I think the art style is clean and cute and I also find the characters pretty endearing. It's a guilty pleasure though and I would never go around proclaiming that everyone should watch it.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By animateria

Maybe it's the X chromosomes... Maybe we have a bit of teenage girl in all of us.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Example1013

Wow, a bunch of men old enough to have daughters are represented in high numbers on a children's show. Color me shocked!

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By Vexxan

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By uniform
eldiax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By eldiax

Oh god this is so good and I'm not ashamed at all for watching this. Totally a guilty pleasure. 

(Yeah I know I resurrected the topic but I only found out about the magic of friendship today!)

Avatar image for makoto_mizuhara_sakamoto
Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BEST. SHIT. EVER.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48  Edited By crusader8463

I don't wanna sound queer or noten, but...

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

... That is way too much lore for my little pony.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By laserbolts

Got about 2 minutes in. This shit is dumb.