My Predictions for Giantbomb's Game of the Year Voting!

Avatar image for deactivated-6427167031e01
deactivated-6427167031e01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 49

If the past few years have shown me anything, it's that the fellas at Giantbomb have certain gaming/voting tendencies that are traceable. This is the Peanut Gallery's attempt to use its EPIC Nostradamus skills to predict how the 2010 Game of the Year voting goes at Giantbomb. Please note: These predictions operate under the assumption that the boys and girls at Whiskey Media stick to the system they used last year for their Top 10 lists and their GoY vetting process. Without further adieu, here we go!

2010 PC GoY: 1 - Starcraft II, 2 - Civilization V, 3 - Amnesia: Dark Descent

• I'm fairly certain that Brad will rip someone's legs off if Starcraft II doesn't win this category. That's not to say it'll be a landslide vote for it. I get the feeling Ryan (and possibly some of the Whiskey Media engineers) are going to put up a strong case for Civilization V that may make this conversation eat up a hefty amount of time in their debates. Amnesia rounds out the Top 3 because of Dave Snider's obsession with obscure "good" games no one is playing. Given how 2010 went for PC Gaming, #3 on this list will be a useless crap shoot. Don't be surprised if Giantbomb says as much during their debate.

2010 Xbox 360 GoY: 1 - Mass Effect 2, 2 - Super Meat Boy, 3 - Limbo
  • So, some assumptions up front: 1 - Mass Effect 2 gets placed in this pile much like Dragon Age Origins was selectively placed in the PC category in 2009. This is done to avoid a slugfest between Mass Effect 2 and Red Dead Redemption in the multiplatform category and save it for the monstrous showdown for overall Game of the Year; 2 - Last year, Giantbomb shocked even themselves by voting a downloadable title the winner of this category. Look for the adoration of Xbox Live games to continue. Sorry to Halo: Reach fans. I don't see the Bomb Squad putting that title over their two darlings of the download world...unless of course they create a "Best Downloadable Title" category to avoid that conflict...

2010 Wii GoY: 1 - Super Mario Galaxy 2, 2 - Kirby's Epic Yarn, 3 - Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Boy oh boy did the Wii have itself one hell of a year game's wise. Look for Jeff and Ryan to lay down the law in this category to ensure that Super Mario Galaxy 2 walks away with the award. I'm sure folks like Alex, Vinny, Brad, etc. will make strong cases for the other titles (and possibly even Goldeneye or No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle), but I'm almost positive Jeff and Ryan will muscle the mustached plumber to victory in this surprisingly competitive group of games. This will probably be the least popular selection  among the Giantbomb community members if other website trends are to be believed. Down with the pipe-diving Italian!

2010 PS3 GoY: 1 - Heavy Rain, 2 - God of War 3, 3 - ModNation Racers
  • Um, the PS3 had a pretty light list of exclusives this year, no? I'm not one to call a category from the beginning, but does anyone really doubt that Heavy Rain takes this one in a short lived conversation? Somebody (cough::Ryan::cough) will try to stretch this one out in fairness to God of War 3's scale, fluidity, and insanity, but Heavy Rain simply does too many experimental things right for it to not win. I expect Brad or Vinny to step up to bat on this one to make sure this conversation is quick and the story-heavy monster that is Heavy Rain wins in a quick, light-hearted debate. As with PC Games this year, #3 is a crap shoot. It's entirely possible that the guys go insane and vote MLB 10: The Show in out of desperation for a third title.

2010 Multi-Platform GoY: 1 - Red Dead Redemption, 2 - Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, 3 - Rock Band 3
  • This is not the forgone conclusion everyone expects it to be. Sure, Red Dead Redemption is walking away with the high profile GoY victories around the internet and popular media world. However, this is Giantbomb, home of the most diehard Assassin's Creed fan in video game journalism: Ryan Davis. I'm calling this category in favor of the wild west purely because it's the anticipated victor. But wait! This could very well be the upset of the year, as many a member of the Whiskey Media world sang nothing but praises for Ezio's romp through Rome. Prepare for the slugfest, folks!

2010 Overall Game of the Year: 1 - Mass Effect 2, 2 - Red Dead Redemption, 3 - Starcraft II
  • Starcraft II makes the top 3 because of Brad's unadulterated worship of that title. If Red Dead Redemption wins multi-platform, be prepared for a debate in line with 2009's Batman: Arkham Asylum VS Uncharted 2. The argument is likely to take into account Mass Effect 2's total lack of multiplayer, Red Dead Redemption's reskinning of GTA IV, the general improvements on tried formulas made by both titles, etc. I've been wrong the past two years on GoY victors (I thought they'd take Metal Gear Solid IV in 2008 and Batman: Arkham Asylum in 2009...whoops), and it looks like the same arguments that sank my picks the past two years will be the ones used against Mass Effect 2. However, third time is a charm and I have faith that one of these days the Giantbomb crew will pick a single player experience over the kitchen sink title one of these days. If Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood topples the Red Dead Redemption behemoth, this debate switches to Starcraft II versus Mass Effect 2, with Mass Effect 2 earning a clean victory.

With that being done, I won't make a foolish attempt at guessing what crazy categories the Bomb Squad will cook up for their quasi-legitimate other awards (Nolan North was not quite so prolific this year). Instead, here's my best guess at each editor's Game of the Year:

Vinny - Mass Effect 2
Brad - Starcraft II
Ryan - Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Jeff - WILD CARD. Who the hell knows with him. He may just go all Jeff Gerstmann on this category, buck all trends, and say Super Street Fighter IV.
Dave - Starcraft II
Drew - Mass Effect 2?
Alex - Kirby's Epic Yarn (c'mon Alex, you know you want to)

Let's see how this all pans out...
eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By eristocrat

Jeff hates RDR and Brad has said that Starcraft isn't his game of the year, other than that I think you're pretty close.

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By SBYM

You're so wrong it's not even funny. I mean, I'm embarrassed for you. Winky face, smiley face.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By recroulette

I think Bayonetta might break the top 3 in multiplatform. If not 360.  

Also. PSP: Peace Walker, and I think Layton might win DS if something doesnt come out of nowhere to steal it.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By iam3green

i think you are right. it is really the only games that were great this year. i think everyone was going to say those.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By monkeyking1969

I'd replace Mod Nation Racers with GT 5 on the PS3 list.  And I doubt the 360 list will have both Super Meatboy and Limbo.    But you're likely on track otherwise.  

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By C0V3RT

I think on the all emails bombcast - Brad mentioned he didn't put Starcraft II as his GOTY.

Avatar image for deactivated-6427167031e01
deactivated-6427167031e01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

So, three days in and:
1. Totally forgot that Super Meat Boy was available on PC and Xbox 360. Also, they surprised me with the Mass Effect 2 move to multiplatform.
2. I severely underestimated the Bomb Squad's adoration for the new Pacman game. Ditto for Jeff's RAGING HATRED of Limbo. 
3. Speaking of Limbo, damn that game for ruining my selection for Drew's best game. I'd forgotten Alex's music love (yea, seriously, that was STOOPID of me), but dammit I never expected both of them to go balls to the wall with Limbo. Whoops.
4. Starting to seriously question Red Dead's chances of even making the Top 3 in multiplatform. 
5. Essentially bullseyed Ryan, Drew, the Wii, and PC choices. Suck it, Trebek.