• 76 results
#51 Edited by NTM (7411 posts) -

Well that was a nice little story; other than that, I've got nothing to say, though I feel like you're just venting. Good luck to your son.

#52 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

@Hizang said:

Spelling is becoming obsolete with spell check integrated into almost everything.

While I do get this argument, it is really dangerous in my opinion. Do you feel the same about being able to do calculations without a calculator, or about being able to read maps?

#53 Posted by TheVideoHustler (406 posts) -

This is why I am having dogs. Not kids.

#54 Posted by crimsinf (145 posts) -

This brings me back to my spelling bee days. I finished second in the regional competition which sent its winner to the national finals. Couldn't tell you the word I missed, but I remember that the parents of the kid who won sat there the whole time with a full-sized Merriam-Webster dictionary in their laps, presumably for reference in case they needed to argue with a judgment against their son. Don't be like them. Be supportive, not ridiculous.

@smitty86 said:

Not sure if he would be old enough to be embarrassed by it but why not just go full out and treat it like it is a super bowl or something. Put on some face paint and some giant signs. Or, go the college basketball route and print out a giant cardboard sign of his head.

I'm no parent but I'd bet you don't get many chances to share these moments, so way not make the most out of them.

Also, here's a fun fact: I know the guy with "the face" and was about three seats away from being in this picture myself.

#55 Posted by froesti (101 posts) -

@jozzy said:

@Hizang said:

Spelling is becoming obsolete with spell check integrated into almost everything.

While I do get this argument, it is really dangerous in my opinion. Do you feel the same about being able to do calculations without a calculator, or about being able to read maps?

Also, knowing how to spell saves alot of time when you have a job that requires a lot of typing.

#56 Posted by GreggD (4505 posts) -

@Icemael said:

I've never understood why spelling bees exist, or for that matter why they are as ubiquitous and as big a deal as they seem to be in the US. I mean, of all the things to turn into a competition...

Better than eating competitions.

#57 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

I know exactly what you mean. My daughter competes in a lot of academic stuff, and it can be pretty nerve-wracking. Other parents can sometimes be really obnoxious too. It's not something that's particularly pleasant to sit through.

#58 Posted by Caffeinated_ADD (1 posts) -

Imagine the pressure some of those kids must be under to get their words spelled right. High expectations, all for what? So the parents can brag that their kid is able to spell words correctly in front of a live audience? It's doubtful that these kids will list "District Spelling Bee Champion" on their future resumes.

#59 Posted by coakroach (2491 posts) -

Good luck to him and you duder

#60 Edited by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

@GreggD said:

@Jrinswand said:

@VoshiNova said:

@Jrinswand said:

@Grimhild said:

@Jrinswand said:

But, man, OP, you should really man up and be there for your son. I really shouldn't have to tell you how to be a good parent.

I don't think that's what he was saying at all. He was lamenting the fact that despite the outcome, either situation will be agonizing to watch out of empathy for the children and/or disappointing for his child if they're eliminated early.

Yeah, except for the part where he hopes that his child fails.

@CH3BURASHKA said:

Yeah, fuck your kids. They don't deserve your attention or support - you got better shit to do than drive them to some gay-ass spelling bee.

Wow, way to go to the OP for ignoring these bullshit responses.

Also, tell your boy good luck for me!

How are these bullshit responses? OP says, and I quote, "Part of me kind of wishes he won't make it past the written part because I'll have to drive over and sit through the spoken round, which is a huge, tense ordeal."

If you read it correctly, you would notice that he just doesn't want ANY of the kids to go through the tense ordeal of being up on stage, with the potential of failing, least of all his son. Your reading comprehension is bollocks.

Actually, my reading comprehension is fine. I'm about to get a Master's degree in Literature and I'm pretty sure I couldn't get that far without knowing how to read.

My point is that even though the OP continued to say that "he can't watch any of them while they're spelling" because it's super-tense, he still said that he hopes his son fails. Now that is bullshit.

#61 Posted by GreggD (4505 posts) -

@Jrinswand said:

@GreggD said:

@Jrinswand said:

@VoshiNova said:

@Jrinswand said:

@Grimhild said:

@Jrinswand said:

But, man, OP, you should really man up and be there for your son. I really shouldn't have to tell you how to be a good parent.

I don't think that's what he was saying at all. He was lamenting the fact that despite the outcome, either situation will be agonizing to watch out of empathy for the children and/or disappointing for his child if they're eliminated early.

Yeah, except for the part where he hopes that his child fails.

@CH3BURASHKA said:

Yeah, fuck your kids. They don't deserve your attention or support - you got better shit to do than drive them to some gay-ass spelling bee.

Wow, way to go to the OP for ignoring these bullshit responses.

Also, tell your boy good luck for me!

How are these bullshit responses? OP says, and I quote, "Part of me kind of wishes he won't make it past the written part because I'll have to drive over and sit through the spoken round, which is a huge, tense ordeal."

If you read it correctly, you would notice that he just doesn't want ANY of the kids to go through the tense ordeal of being up on stage, with the potential of failing, least of all his son. Your reading comprehension is bollocks.

Actually, my reading comprehension is fine. I'm about to get a Master's degree in Literature and I'm pretty sure I couldn't get that far without knowing how to read.

My point is that even though the OP continued to say that "he can't watch any of them while they're spelling" because it's super-tense, he still said that he hopes his son fails. Now that is bullshit.

Do you have any kids?

#62 Posted by pweidman (2340 posts) -

Interesting thread. I'm on the other side of this kind of business every year. I've run my school's Geography Bees for like 10 years. I always try to gear the school lvl bees to be somewhat kid friendly(I give them a list of continents to choose from for that category for example), but every 4 years I get to MC the district bee, and it's much more strict. There are always kids who are hurt and upset with their performances. I always wonder what the parents are going through. All I can suggest is encourage, praise, and be proud of your son and be there for him as his support. He'll appreciate that to no end TC, guaranteed.

Good luck in his next contest, you and him. :)

#63 Posted by VoshiNova (1694 posts) -

@Jrinswand: Right on, but take in account that this is a father of child and I consider it rude to respond the way you did. Either way, I meant no offense with my response to the OP, I just wanted to encourage rather than respond with cynicism.

#64 Edited by Krakn3Dfx (2492 posts) -

@frankfartmouth said:

I know exactly what you mean. My daughter competes in a lot of academic stuff, and it can be pretty nerve-wracking. Other parents can sometimes be really obnoxious too. It's not something that's particularly pleasant to sit through.

Yeah, there are some assholes parents to be sure. There were 3 appeals in this spelling bee, I've only seen 1 in the previous 4 district bees he was in. One woman appealed based on her daughter spelling 'safari' as "safary...I mean i" when it clearly says in the rules once you say the letter the letter it is.

I don't mind people appealing for legitimate reasons, but if it's because you just didn't read the 1-sheet handout on the rules or listen to the 15 minute speech the moderator gives before the spelling bee even starts, you're just wasting my time.

One 7th grade girl on my son's team who went to nationals 2 years ago received a concussion on Wednesday from a sporting accident. It was clear today she wasn't 100% and she went out on a word in the 1st round that she would have normally not even thought about. I felt horrible for her, but I guess you get the cards you're dealt. She's got one more year before she's too old, so hopefully she'll have a stronger performance next year.

@VoshiNova @GreggD

Again, I didn't actually want my son to fail, or any of the kids to fail. It's hard to watch any of them misspell a word and suddenly realize they're done. I saw more than a handful of kids openly crying today because they didn't make it to the final pool that would go to state, and that kind of thing is heartbreaking to a parent, whether it's your kid or not. It's hard to watch, but it's also super satisfying when your child does well. I think that's called being a parent.

#65 Posted by oraknabo (1471 posts) -

@Krakn3Dfx said:

He made to the oral round, sitting here watching now. A girl he's friends with just got the boot for 'whiskery'. And so it begins...

She must have really fucked up bad then because it has 3 or 4 alternate legitimate spellings.

#66 Posted by laserbolts (5324 posts) -

@GrantHeaslip said:

@Demoskinos said:

@UlquioKani said:

Those don't exist in the UK. I've never had to drive somewhere to spell words on a stage. Seems like a hard thing to do for a kid. We just had written tests. 3 times a year, we were given read out 100 words and we had to spell as many of them correctly as possible on paper.

This isn't part of a curriculum. Its just an extracurricular activity.

In my middle school (in Ontario, Canada), we had mandatory class-level spelling bees, and the top X number of each class advanced to the finals, which took place in a mandatory assembly.

That sounds fucking lame dude.

#67 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1616 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

@GrantHeaslip said:

@Demoskinos said:

@UlquioKani said:

Those don't exist in the UK. I've never had to drive somewhere to spell words on a stage. Seems like a hard thing to do for a kid. We just had written tests. 3 times a year, we were given read out 100 words and we had to spell as many of them correctly as possible on paper.

In my middle school (in Ontario, Canada), we had mandatory class-level spelling bees, and the top X number of each class advanced to the finals, which took place in a mandatory assembly.

That sounds fucking lame dude.

Looking back, you’re absolutely right.

#68 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@GrantHeaslip said:

Oh man, I remember those...

#69 Posted by picklecannon (265 posts) -

@GrantHeaslip said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@GrantHeaslip said:

@Demoskinos said:

@UlquioKani said:

We had the same thing but for speeches. You were able to decline going to the event if your speech was chosen but I was a fan of that time of year.

Oh yeah, we had those too.

Yeah speeches were the worst. I remember winning my classroom speech thing where I talked about my cat.. Had to do the speech in front of the whole school and just stayed home that day.

#70 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Sooty said:

I've always found this gross, just throw a bunch of kids on a stage and make them feel shitty if they fuck up.

Doesn't this apply to school plays, too?

I think that's a bit different, everyone wants you to succeed. (unless they are assholes)

Spelling bee is like, family honour on the line, yo. (ok maybe not that dramatic, but some parents are assholes)

@SpicyRichter said:

@Sooty said:

I've always found this gross, just throw a bunch of kids on a stage and make them feel shitty if they fuck up.

Thanks America.

When I was like, 9 at school, we had spelling tests but it wasn't turned into a spectacle. (I totally nailed those tests)

Because nobody should ever feel shitty when they fuck up? It's just good training for adult life...

We're talking about children here. Lol.

You should be building their self esteem not knocking it into the ground. Let that happen to them naturally when they try and find jobs.

#71 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -
@jozzy

@Hizang said:

As long as you know basic calculations you should be fine, other than that use a calculator. Map reading is quite important though.
#72 Posted by dudeglove (7907 posts) -
#73 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -

@Krakn3Dfx said:

Got 3rd place out of 280,went out on inveigh. Good stuff. He killed it, so he gets to choose where we go to dinner, lol.

Grats, best of luck to him in the next contest.

Also just ignore all of the people hating on you for thinking like a parent, just feel sorry for theirs.

#74 Posted by Jimbo (9820 posts) -

'Whiskery'? That is bullshit. At least your son can comfort her and impress her with his spelling prowess.

#75 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

yep, kids suck. i sucked at spelling bees.

#76 Edited by Klei (1768 posts) -

@Krakn3Dfx said:

So my son is at the district spelling bee today, they show at 9am, have a written test, and the top 40 scoring kids move on to the spoken part of the bee.

Part of me kind of wishes he won't make it past the written part because I'll have to drive over and sit through the spoken round, which is a huge, tense ordeal. I can't watch any of them while they're spelling, especially my son, it's like the most tense survival horror game ever.

At the same time, I know he'll be super bummed out if he doesn't make it to the spoken round, and I don't want that either. Last year he made it to the regional competition and came in 3 spots lower than he needed to move onto state, but he was pretty happy about just having made it that far, so it was cool.

Man, being a parent some days....

Let's sum this up. It's not about you. It's about your son. You're a dad. He needs you to believe in him.