Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

Edited By gingertastic_10

ok i when it comes to graphics i like the more cartoonish style. i would pick Prince of Perisa (2008) over Killzone 2 if i was getting a game souly based on its graphics (which i dont do). I know most people would think of this as a dumb thing. I feel as if a cartoonish style has an advantage over, lets say a more "real" style of graphics. It helps set the mood of a game, i dont think Prince of Persia could have looked as good as it did, if it was done in the style of like Killzone 2 or Gears of War. I guess i should say what i consider a cartoonish style. for me i think games like Prince of Persia, Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia, that type of style i consider cartoonish. Some people might have a different interpretation of that. What i think is not a cartoonish style is like the Final Fantasy games things of that nature. And for the real styles, id consider Gears of War, Killzone 2 those are examples of what i think are a more real style of graphics.

now on to my main point of this blog, my top 5 games that i think have the best graphics, and remember this is all my opinion im not saying they are the best ever:

5. Afro Samurai:
in my review for this game i called it game of the year, its really early to tell that, but i really like this game, and hell i think i might be the only one. but one of the things i really like about it was its art style. its looked great. it looked straight out of the manga (that if the manga had color, the manga is in black and white) but the models looked straight from the manga at least. The way the blood fell to the ground and they way it looked was great. and having the blood be red in the "focus mode" is also a nic touch.
No Caption Provided
4. Valkyria Chronicles:
Im not going to lie, but i have not played this game. mainly cause i do not own a ps3, but i will soon, and this will surly be the first game i get for it. Simply put the art style is beautiful. From what i have seen in screenshots and from the quick look on the site (which might be one of my favorites) my jaw droped. I love the way you can see the strokes of the pencil in the cut scenes and in the game itself. i pretty much hate war type games, the only one i have ever liked was Battlefield: Bad Company. If they made more war games with a style like this i would get it. One of the things i kinda dont like about war games is how they try to be to real, but with games like Valkyria Chronicles, which adds a more fantasy element to the war genre, itd make them more enjoyable for me.

No Caption Provided
3. Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros Treasure:
This in my opinion is the best looking game on the wii. I have a wii, and have about 9 games for it. And all of them have this hazy, maybe choppy style to them. But in Zack and Wiki its so sharp. I would compare the style to the new game Fat Princess. Its almost the same. The colors are bright and beautiful. I think if you tell someone its a psn game people would believe it for sure. Im saying itd be a psn game, because its a great looking game, but i dont think it would match up graphicly to other ps3 games. Now this game has some of the best clouds i have ever seen in a game. Yes itd win "the best cloud award" if there was such a thing. Fire looks great, characters looks great. Its something i wouldnt expect to come from a wii game. Its truly stunning.

No Caption Provided
2. Battlefield: Bad Company:
Probably my favorite War game. The thing that really got me into this game was its humor. But i also found the visuals to be very great. Now a reason this looks so great, might be that great Frostbite engine that the folks over at DICE made. You roll into a small town, and it looks like how a normal town would. Then you start a battle, then you throw some bombs, gun fire and some tanks in there and what you see after is stunning. Buildings are for the most part gone, rubble lay everywhere the smoke clearing after you just blew through a wall. Shadows work great also. The characters are pretty well detailed. It has a great sence of distance also, looking down from a cliff to a village you can tell the distance. Also this game does explostions better then anyone else. This is my favorite war game for a reason. Its fun. Now blowing things to hell has been done before. But making it look good to, now that takes skill.

No Caption Provided

1. Prince of Persia:

I love this game. I dont know if can stress that enough. The visual style of it just blew me away. You can tell the guys at Ubisoft Montreal worked their asses off on trying to make this game look good. And it also is kinda a refreshing to the franchise, which the last two games were dark and grimmy. The draw distances are amazing, you can tell that things in the distance are big, yet beautiful. Characters are the best i have seen in a long time. A ton of detail was put into them. Yes ill admit, i thought some things like walls and floors were alittle iffy, but other then that not problems at all. You can really tell the difference between the light and the dark regions of the game. When you do heal the lands, the sun really makes things more sharp and look stunning. Grass blows in the wind, your clothes move correctly with you.  The animations are pretty good also, they dont look choppy. I really cant truly discribe it, you have to play it to get the full experience.

welp there it is my list

some honorable mentions
Fat Princess- yes its not out yet but dear god, it looks soo good
Fallout 3- has the end of the world ever looked this good?, the land and buildings look so dirty, yet so beautiful
F.E.A.R 2- this game has the best looking blood ever

thanks for reading

--trevor

gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By gingertastic_10

ok i when it comes to graphics i like the more cartoonish style. i would pick Prince of Perisa (2008) over Killzone 2 if i was getting a game souly based on its graphics (which i dont do). I know most people would think of this as a dumb thing. I feel as if a cartoonish style has an advantage over, lets say a more "real" style of graphics. It helps set the mood of a game, i dont think Prince of Persia could have looked as good as it did, if it was done in the style of like Killzone 2 or Gears of War. I guess i should say what i consider a cartoonish style. for me i think games like Prince of Persia, Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia, that type of style i consider cartoonish. Some people might have a different interpretation of that. What i think is not a cartoonish style is like the Final Fantasy games things of that nature. And for the real styles, id consider Gears of War, Killzone 2 those are examples of what i think are a more real style of graphics.

now on to my main point of this blog, my top 5 games that i think have the best graphics, and remember this is all my opinion im not saying they are the best ever:

5. Afro Samurai:
in my review for this game i called it game of the year, its really early to tell that, but i really like this game, and hell i think i might be the only one. but one of the things i really like about it was its art style. its looked great. it looked straight out of the manga (that if the manga had color, the manga is in black and white) but the models looked straight from the manga at least. The way the blood fell to the ground and they way it looked was great. and having the blood be red in the "focus mode" is also a nic touch.
No Caption Provided
4. Valkyria Chronicles:
Im not going to lie, but i have not played this game. mainly cause i do not own a ps3, but i will soon, and this will surly be the first game i get for it. Simply put the art style is beautiful. From what i have seen in screenshots and from the quick look on the site (which might be one of my favorites) my jaw droped. I love the way you can see the strokes of the pencil in the cut scenes and in the game itself. i pretty much hate war type games, the only one i have ever liked was Battlefield: Bad Company. If they made more war games with a style like this i would get it. One of the things i kinda dont like about war games is how they try to be to real, but with games like Valkyria Chronicles, which adds a more fantasy element to the war genre, itd make them more enjoyable for me.

No Caption Provided
3. Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros Treasure:
This in my opinion is the best looking game on the wii. I have a wii, and have about 9 games for it. And all of them have this hazy, maybe choppy style to them. But in Zack and Wiki its so sharp. I would compare the style to the new game Fat Princess. Its almost the same. The colors are bright and beautiful. I think if you tell someone its a psn game people would believe it for sure. Im saying itd be a psn game, because its a great looking game, but i dont think it would match up graphicly to other ps3 games. Now this game has some of the best clouds i have ever seen in a game. Yes itd win "the best cloud award" if there was such a thing. Fire looks great, characters looks great. Its something i wouldnt expect to come from a wii game. Its truly stunning.

No Caption Provided
2. Battlefield: Bad Company:
Probably my favorite War game. The thing that really got me into this game was its humor. But i also found the visuals to be very great. Now a reason this looks so great, might be that great Frostbite engine that the folks over at DICE made. You roll into a small town, and it looks like how a normal town would. Then you start a battle, then you throw some bombs, gun fire and some tanks in there and what you see after is stunning. Buildings are for the most part gone, rubble lay everywhere the smoke clearing after you just blew through a wall. Shadows work great also. The characters are pretty well detailed. It has a great sence of distance also, looking down from a cliff to a village you can tell the distance. Also this game does explostions better then anyone else. This is my favorite war game for a reason. Its fun. Now blowing things to hell has been done before. But making it look good to, now that takes skill.

No Caption Provided

1. Prince of Persia:

I love this game. I dont know if can stress that enough. The visual style of it just blew me away. You can tell the guys at Ubisoft Montreal worked their asses off on trying to make this game look good. And it also is kinda a refreshing to the franchise, which the last two games were dark and grimmy. The draw distances are amazing, you can tell that things in the distance are big, yet beautiful. Characters are the best i have seen in a long time. A ton of detail was put into them. Yes ill admit, i thought some things like walls and floors were alittle iffy, but other then that not problems at all. You can really tell the difference between the light and the dark regions of the game. When you do heal the lands, the sun really makes things more sharp and look stunning. Grass blows in the wind, your clothes move correctly with you.  The animations are pretty good also, they dont look choppy. I really cant truly discribe it, you have to play it to get the full experience.

welp there it is my list

some honorable mentions
Fat Princess- yes its not out yet but dear god, it looks soo good
Fallout 3- has the end of the world ever looked this good?, the land and buildings look so dirty, yet so beautiful
F.E.A.R 2- this game has the best looking blood ever

thanks for reading

--trevor

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By delta_ass

Never heard of Crysis, I'm guessing.

gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gingertastic_10
Delta_Ass said:
"Never heard of Crysis, I'm guessing."

yeah i have, i totally forgot about it when writting this :/
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus

I loved the graphics in Prince of Persia, but hated how the entire game was running around collecting a thousand Lums... err, light seeds.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Steve_C

I know what you mean about importance of art style over technical graphics, but you shouldn't dismiss Killzone 2 at least. Loving F.E.A.R. 2 for its blood also seems to go against what you said.

It depends on the context of the game. Would making Killzone 2 cartoonish make it better? It's trying to simulate a war-like atmosphere.

Also, your list lacks Okami. Other ones off the top of my head are Viewtiful Joe, Bioshock, and Super Mario Galaxy.

gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gingertastic_10
TooWalrus said:
"I loved the graphics in Prince of Persia, but hated how the entire game was running around collecting a thousand Lums... err, light seeds."

hell yeah, it would have been better if they wouldnt have made the quota for them so high
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gingertastic_10
Steve_C said:
"I know what you mean about importance of art style over technical graphics, but you shouldn't dismiss Killzone 2 at least. Loving FEAR 2 for it's blood also seems to go against what you said.It depends on the context of the game. Would making Killzone 2 cartoonish make it better? It's trying to simulate a war-like atmosphere.Also, your list lacks Okami. Other ones off the top of my head are Viewtiful Joe, Bioshock, and Super Mario Galaxy."
sorry if i seemed like i dismissed Killzone 2, i wasnt trying to, i was trying to give some kind of examples, and the FEAR2 i should have went into detail on why i liked it more
Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Steve_C
gingertastic_10 said:
"Steve_C said:
"I know what you mean about importance of art style over technical graphics, but you shouldn't dismiss Killzone 2 at least. Loving FEAR 2 for it's blood also seems to go against what you said.It depends on the context of the game. Would making Killzone 2 cartoonish make it better? It's trying to simulate a war-like atmosphere.Also, your list lacks Okami. Other ones off the top of my head are Viewtiful Joe, Bioshock, and Super Mario Galaxy."
sorry if i seemed like i dismissed Killzone 2, i wasnt trying to, i was trying to give some kind of examples, and the FEAR2 i should have went into detail on why i liked it more"
Oh, I wasn't trying to start moaning about it or anything. Its just that having cel-shaded graphics shouldn't automatically make it better than those that strive for photo-realism, though of course it's your opinion on whether you enjoy them as much. It depends on the needs of the game, and how well it fits the tone and content. The Wind Waker is another great example.
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gingertastic_10
Steve_C said:
"gingertastic_10 said:
"Steve_C said:
sorry if i seemed like i dismissed Killzone 2, i wasnt trying to, i was trying to give some kind of examples, and the FEAR2 i should have went into detail on why i liked it more"
Oh, I wasn't trying to start moaning about it or anything. Its just that having cel-shaded graphics shouldn't automatically make it better than those that strive for photo-realism, though of course it's your opinion on whether you enjoy them as much. It depends on the needs of the game, and how well it fits the tone and content. The Wind Waker is another great example."

yes, thats what i was trying to get at...yes i do enjoy games with a real style of graphics, but the cel-shaded kind interest me more for their art direction
teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By teptom

Zak and Wiki was a great looking game. Sometimes its controls were a little off, but it was terrific puzzle game.

I've liked the way the Sly series looked and Wind Waker is one of my favorites based on the way it looks as well.