• 111 results
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

Edited By EpicSteve

San Francisco is a fantastic city, and after my week in the bay area I felt like I saw a good portion of what the city

The one and only
The one and only
 has to offer and walked away with a good impression. While ultimately a tourist experience (aquarium, tours, bike rides, Alcatraz) I thought a visit before I moved to the city would do my girlfriend and I a great service. We stayed at the Radison hotel in Fisherman's Wharf, and spent the first two days merely walking around town and understanding how the city worked. After we got ahold of the cable car system, we explored the majority of the majors sections of town. Day 3-5 mainly revolved tourist deals. I did enjoy it, however. 

Goddamn if one thing shocked me about the city, is that it can get fucking cold! So I had to be "that guy" and buy the obligatory San Francisco branded hoodie...oh well. I won't dance around and talk about my vacation, I'll get to what really matters, Giantbomb. I scheduled a trip with Vinny the day before, and I was stoked! My girlfriend and I woke up around 10 the next morning to catch a boat to Sausalito. At first I admired the beautiful small town, but I quickly got back into focus...after getting a free ice cream cone with Military ID. A mere five minute walk, and I'm in front of the GB office. Vinny was quick to come outside, and after a short introduction he showed me the upstairs. 

GB's upstairs is much larger than I originally thought. Several small offices for the Comic Vine employees, and a larger room in the center for the GB tech crew. We went through some hand shakes, and astonishingly they totally have a dog in the office which caught me my surprise. After a quick showing of the kitchen and bathroom (with half a shower) I got to take a trip to the dungeon. 

Podcast Room
Podcast Room

Unfortunately Ryan was absent due to illness, however everyone else was present. We hung-out for an hour talking about random stuff, the game business, Jeff's decision with the site's creation, Vinny showed me something awesome that'll hopefully be on the site shortly, and Jeff and I talked about some of the names that came up before Giantbomb. Such as, Game Monk, Game Vine, and Videogame Mountain. I shared my opinion that the site should've been called GameCop. They also shed light on how the hell they pay for what they do. Basically Whisky Media is investing in them to build an audience. I'm assuming after traffic gets to a certain point, advertisement will pick up. 
Represent...during Gay Pride.

It wasn't surprising that they're all really nice and easy to talk to guys. I am surprised with how much time and attention they gave us. I wanted to give one last thanks to them, and especially to Vinny for his hospitality and helpfulness. San Francisco was an overall good experience. I was also lucky enough to be here during Gay Pride weekend, which was an experience itself. Also, thankyou MB. Fog City Diner was fantastic!

NOTE: Got a pic with Jeff and I on my profile as my main image. 

EDIT: A lot of you are asking where I'm from. My girlfriend and I live in Southern Ohio, outside of Cincinnati.
No Caption Provided

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By EpicSteve

San Francisco is a fantastic city, and after my week in the bay area I felt like I saw a good portion of what the city

The one and only
The one and only
 has to offer and walked away with a good impression. While ultimately a tourist experience (aquarium, tours, bike rides, Alcatraz) I thought a visit before I moved to the city would do my girlfriend and I a great service. We stayed at the Radison hotel in Fisherman's Wharf, and spent the first two days merely walking around town and understanding how the city worked. After we got ahold of the cable car system, we explored the majority of the majors sections of town. Day 3-5 mainly revolved tourist deals. I did enjoy it, however. 

Goddamn if one thing shocked me about the city, is that it can get fucking cold! So I had to be "that guy" and buy the obligatory San Francisco branded hoodie...oh well. I won't dance around and talk about my vacation, I'll get to what really matters, Giantbomb. I scheduled a trip with Vinny the day before, and I was stoked! My girlfriend and I woke up around 10 the next morning to catch a boat to Sausalito. At first I admired the beautiful small town, but I quickly got back into focus...after getting a free ice cream cone with Military ID. A mere five minute walk, and I'm in front of the GB office. Vinny was quick to come outside, and after a short introduction he showed me the upstairs. 

GB's upstairs is much larger than I originally thought. Several small offices for the Comic Vine employees, and a larger room in the center for the GB tech crew. We went through some hand shakes, and astonishingly they totally have a dog in the office which caught me my surprise. After a quick showing of the kitchen and bathroom (with half a shower) I got to take a trip to the dungeon. 

Podcast Room
Podcast Room

Unfortunately Ryan was absent due to illness, however everyone else was present. We hung-out for an hour talking about random stuff, the game business, Jeff's decision with the site's creation, Vinny showed me something awesome that'll hopefully be on the site shortly, and Jeff and I talked about some of the names that came up before Giantbomb. Such as, Game Monk, Game Vine, and Videogame Mountain. I shared my opinion that the site should've been called GameCop. They also shed light on how the hell they pay for what they do. Basically Whisky Media is investing in them to build an audience. I'm assuming after traffic gets to a certain point, advertisement will pick up. 

It wasn't surprising that they're all really nice and easy to talk to guys. I am surprised with how much time and attention they gave us. I wanted to give one last thanks to them, and especially to Vinny for his hospitality and helpfulness. San Francisco was an overall good experience. I was also lucky enough to be here during Gay Pride weekend, which was an experience itself. Also, thankyou MB. Fog City Diner was fantastic!

NOTE: Got a pic with Jeff and I on my profile as my main image. 

EDIT: A lot of you are asking where I'm from. My girlfriend and I live in Southern Ohio, outside of Cincinnati.
No Caption Provided

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

Luchadeer looks none too happy about your presence in his slave-workers' den...or maybe he's checking out your girlfriend's ass.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

Nice

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I believe the dog you mentioned has appeared in one or two video's. Although I might be imagining things (I do that a lot).

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By flaminghobo

Lucky mofo.
It's cool that Vinny would let a GB user like yourself visit the office, did you just casually ask in a message very politely?
Also, where's Ryan at?

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Pie

Sooo, are the rumours about Brad true?

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Kohe321

Awesome stuff! Giantbomb crew is awesome to let people from the community come for a visit.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EpicSteve
@MattyFTM said:
" I believe the dog you mentioned has appeared in one or two video's. Although I might be imagining things (I do that a lot). "
I'm sure the dog has appearing in something I can't remember, but it's 
Andy's dog, Titan. 
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EpicSteve
@FlamingHobo said:
" Lucky mofo.It's cool that Vinny would let a GB user like yourself visit the office, did you just casually ask in a message very politely?Also, where's Ryan at? "
I messaged him several months in advanced, just so he knew it wasn't being spontaneous. Then we had a conversation later when I was in town and got the details sorted out. 
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By flaminghobo
@EpicSteve said:
" @FlamingHobo said:
" Lucky mofo.It's cool that Vinny would let a GB user like yourself visit the office, did you just casually ask in a message very politely?Also, where's Ryan at? "
I messaged him several months in advanced, just so he knew it wasn't being spontaneous. Then we had a conversation later when I was in town and got the details sorted out. 
"
Sounds great, glad you had a great time man.
Also I noticed you mentioned a Military ID? Are you going into training or are you already submitted?
singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By singular

And I read in a blog somewhere that the GB staff wouldn't care about the community. So untrue.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#12  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Hey, cool stuff!  I've only been to that area for a brief vacation, but it was one hell of a fun town.  That visit to the GB office looks like a blast!

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By Luke

Gay Pride was nuts... it used to be a lot less crazy with Security back-in-the-day, which is a sign of the times I guess, but it was still alright. 

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it here and I see you got some of that bombass Sausalito Ice Cream I was talking about in your previous thread! :p 

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheMustacheHero

That's really cool.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EpicSteve
@FlamingHobo said:
" @EpicSteve said:
" @FlamingHobo said:
"
Sounds great, glad you had a great time man.Also I noticed you mentioned a Military ID? Are you going into training or are you already submitted? "
Yeah, I go to Basic in two weeks, I'm a Scout. Speaking of which, the best quote while I was there was after I explained to Vinny what I would be doing in the military and he said "Oh my, That's awful!" in a fantastic dreadful/motherly-worried voice. 
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jayge_

What a great opportunity. Hopefully they don't get spammed with calls for stuff like that now though. 

Edit: You should have brought them a case of energy drinks!
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Hamz

Well done matey for getting to experience something few of us will. Especially before you head off to the military (I assume mentioning the Military ID means you are definately going?) so that makes it all the more special for you I imagine.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gearhead

Ok, now I'm fucking jealous.
Fuck you sir!
:P

diminian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By diminian

Well I'm glad you got the opportunity that the rest of us wish we could have ourselves, now you can spill the beans and tell us what they really do in that office.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Awesome!

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Absurd

Nice, Luchadeer does indeed look a little angry.

mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mikevanpwn

They totally need to make a cardboard cutout of Jeff in that position.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Steve_C

That's brilliant.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Alex_Murphy

Sounds cool, but now everybody is going to be trying to go visit them and they won't get any work done, lol.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EpicSteve
@mikevanpwn said:
" They totally need to make a cardboard cutout of Jeff in that position. "
I like this one fr a cardbord cut-out of Jeff as well
No Caption Provided
While I'm at it, here's some decorations. I would have taken more pics, but I didn't want to be "that guy". This is a small thing on the wall you see immediately when you walk into the downstairs section. I dug the Cast Crasher stuff. 

No Caption Provided

pomeroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By pomeroy

They really do need a cutout of Jeff in that position.

As if I weren't jealous enough because you have Giant Bomb shirts
then this topic comes up!
Sounds like it was an absolute blast and you asked what I was wondering, "How the hell is this getting funded?"

So you're the first user I know of to achieve this goal.
Now I will try and take it a step further, I'll visit as an employee of a company and be a guest on the Bombcast!!!!
A man can dream, can't he?
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By Claude

That's really cool. I've always wanted to go to the west coast, San Fran, LA or all over.

Here's a picture of the dog Titan.

No Caption Provided

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28  Edited By zyn

Awesome dude!

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By dethfish

You're one lucky guy.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By tekmojo

That's a pretty big win for you.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#31  Edited By FLStyle

I don't think I've ever been more jealous of one person. Congrats to you sir.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By Black_Rose

That's awesome, the guys were pretty cool as usual too. Oh...and your girlfriend is hot.

I think I'm the first to mention it strangely enough.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By Vinchenzo

Pretty cool stuff. I came into this thread expecting bullshit but you totally surprised me.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By EpicSteve
@Black_Rose said:
" That's awesome, the guys were pretty cool as usual too. Oh...and your girlfriend is hot.I think I'm the first to mention it strangely enough. "
lol. thankyou sir. 
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By JJOR64

That's awesome.  You guys should have done some green screen fun.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By iam3green

very nice man. i kind of wish that i could do that for a vaction. it's nice to see that. cool about gay pride. on father's day there was this carival thing in a park in a city i saw these two guys that had like a clear cloth and just in their underwear. it was quite funny. it just reminded me of gayness.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By Out_On_Bail

Sweet man! That sounds like a blast!  Get ready to shave all that scruff off when ya join up, lol.  I envy you for seeing the crew, that had to of been cool. Oh ya and the rest of the city too ;)

MatthewMeadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By MatthewMeadows

Sounds awesome. Good luck in service!

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#39  Edited By Tireyo

That's pretty cool! I'm glad that you got to see them.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mikemcn

They let you in? I though Brad tackled anyone who gets within 100 feet of the front door, actually i just wish he did that so someone could get a youtube video of it, it would be awesome

But that must have been fun haha

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CL60

I'm jealous.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Snail

So you just PM'd Vinny and then went to the Giant Bomb offices just because?

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Wolverine
@EpicSteve: Wow your so lucky, you completed the pilgrimage!
clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By clubsandwich

you are one lucky bastard, mate.

good job sir ;D

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Gizmo

Wait, that GiantBomb logo t-shirt? When did that come out? WHEN/HOW CAN I BUY IT??

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jakob187
@EpicSteve said:
" @Black_Rose said:
" That's awesome, the guys were pretty cool as usual too. Oh...and your girlfriend is hot.I think I'm the first to mention it strangely enough. "
lol. thankyou sir. 
"
Rose is a chick, sir.  Also, I would've mentioned it...but I didn't want to be an internet perv.
John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By John

Thanks for sharing this.... wait a second do they really have a dog in there? wow.

agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By agent_lost

that look sweet

Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Expletive

I've always contemplated trying to head there for my birthday, but I never thought it would actually be possible.

maybe, just maybe someday my dream will come true.