• 82 results
#1 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

Let's face it, as a child we either got called names or called names, or even both. But as a young child it's like whatever, kids are kids right? Even in secondary school it continues but instead of Poo Face we get called many more adult things. But growing up none of the people I saw ever called an adult a name, or if so very very rarely. I used to get called names a lot, but since being an adult all I really get is a bunch of 14 year old girls come up and ask me "Are you gay, if so my friend fancies you!" They would the giggle and run off.

But tonight I was on my way home when I was called a Pedo by a bunch of 15 year old hoodlums hanging around a street corner, as a kid I would ignore it, but as an adult I don't know how to deal with it. I would look bad if I went up and punched one, or even proved there point if I were to talk to them. But as an adult is me ignoring it just making them feel good about it?

How do you deal with being called names as an adult?

#2 Posted by JCTango (1360 posts) -

Either stare at them intensely without saying a word or blinking, or just ignore them... no use wasting your breath on idiots.

#3 Posted by psylah (2169 posts) -

In the great U.S. of A. we sue.

Psychological stress, slander, defamation and the like.

#4 Posted by Coafi (1483 posts) -

Just brush them off, those kids are not worth it. They are probably expecting you to react like that, and when you don't they'll give up. Those kids are idiots.

#5 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

Tell them "I'll show you a pedo!" then reach for their junk. That will make them think twice before name calling.

#6 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Pull out your dick and look them directly in the eye.

#7 Posted by JCTango (1360 posts) -

@DarthOrange: lol damn. xD

#8 Posted by Evikull (60 posts) -

15 year olds? Best to stay away, they probably all have knives and guns.

#9 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

Go all Harry Brown on their degenerate asses! Anybody else see that movie? I was disturbed for a while, but Michael Caine still rocks.

#10 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -

you say, "Thanks for the offer, but I prefer women."

#11 Posted by Kidavenger (3528 posts) -

Maybe look at why people are saying these things to you, it isn't normal people to say things like that to strangers regardless of age.

#12 Posted by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

Are you a pedo? If not then don't worry about it and forget about it. If you are then that's fucked up dude.

#13 Posted by GunstarRed (5103 posts) -

It's pretty common where I live to be insulted by teenagers. It really is just something you have to ignore and get away from as quickly as possible. Punching a kid is just going to get you into more trouble than it's worth. Teenagers are total fuckers around here, they spit, insult and throw shit all the time.

#14 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Do you by chance shop here?

#15 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -

Punch them in the dick.

#16 Posted by Petiew (1344 posts) -

You should probably wear clothes instead of running around naked al the time, may reduce the name calling somewhat.

Unrelated note, there are now sponsored links underneath the first post in every topic. Looks goddamn awful.

#17 Edited by Fattony12000 (7270 posts) -
#18 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -
  • Become manager of local fast-food establishment.
  • Hire said shitty teenagers.
  • Never promote them.
  • BURGERS FOREVER, MOTHERFUCKERS!
#19 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

• Become manager of local fast-food establishment.
  • Hire said shitty teenagers.
  • Never promote them.
  • BURGERS FOREVER, MOTHERFUCKERS!

My favourite plan so far.

At the time I was wearing red shorts, a purple hoody and a bike helmet.

#20 Posted by DukesT3 (1901 posts) -

Damn.. if they were adults I'd say just walk up and push them and begin to start beating their ass. Once you shit talk as an adult, your willing to fight, don't want to fight? Then don't talk shit to a stranger but since these are teenagers... maybe fuck their sister? I dunno dude =(

#21 Posted by pyromagnestir (4287 posts) -

@CL60 said:

Well I see my work here was done for me. Moving on then.

I can't remember the last time I was called a name by someone actually trying to bother me. Might've been one night (midnight-ish) when I was driving home from work, and a group of younger kids pulled up beside me and started yelling insults at me. At the time I stared incredulously at them until they drove off. Then I thought "Well that was odd," and drove home.

#22 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Well the obvious answer would be to molest each and every one of them. Seriously though, that's a weird thing to happen to someone. I want to ask why they'd think you were a pedo, but they probably didn't anyway. I do wonder why they chose that particular insult though.

#23 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Hizang said:

At the time I was wearing red shorts, a purple hoody and a bike helmet.

Maybe switch up the bike helmet for a motocross helmet with a skull painted on it. Kids think that's cool, right?

#24 Posted by ajamafalous (11943 posts) -
#25 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Hizang said:

Let's face it, as a child we either got called names or called names, or even both. But as a young child it's like whatever, kids are kids right?

@Hizang said:

They would the giggle and run off.

Also, WHAT?

#26 Posted by JackOhara (227 posts) -

@CL60 said:

#27 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

You are an "adult" concerned about name calling. I think you might want to re-evaluate your life.

#28 Posted by geirr (2513 posts) -

@CL60 said:

#29 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Hizang said:

Let's face it, as a child we either got called names or called names, or even both. But as a young child it's like whatever, kids are kids right? Even in secondary school it continues but instead of Poo Face we get called many more adult things. But growing up none of the people I saw ever called an adult a name, or if so very very rarely. I used to get called names a lot, but since being an adult all I really get is a bunch of 14 year old girls come up and ask me "Are you gay, if so my friend fancies you!" They would the giggle and run off.

But tonight I was on my way home when I was called a Pedo by a bunch of 15 year old hoodlums hanging around a street corner, as a kid I would ignore it, but as an adult I don't know how to deal with it. I would look bad if I went up and punched one, or even proved there point if I were to talk to them. But as an adult is me ignoring it just making them feel good about it?

How do you deal with being called names as an adult?

Ignore it maybe? Who cares what they think. 
#30 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Hizang said:

as a kid I would ignore it, but as an adult I don't know how to deal with it

Wait...

Isn't that totally opposite of how it should be?

#31 Posted by LikeaSsur (1509 posts) -

I don't think I've ever been called a name since adulthood. I would probably just ignore it and keep walking/moving away from them. All they want is attention, and giving them none reduces the chances of them doing it to someone else.

#32 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

I have never really had confrontations like that with little kids (as an adult... so far), but if it were to happen I would just flip them off and stick my tongue out at them... It's all about class people.

#33 Posted by ozzdog12 (859 posts) -

@JCTango said:

Either stare at them intensely without saying a word or blinking, or just ignore them... no use wasting your breath on idiots.

#34 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

Fuck their mums and become their stepdad.

AND THEN molest them

#35 Edited by CatsAkimbo (616 posts) -

Just curious, but what would you all do in a similar situation of a homeless/possibly mentally ill person following you in a city and saying shit about you? I've had this happen after I told someone I didn't have money on me.

I ended up saying nothing and entered the nearest building I could find, which luckily had a guard, and the homeless person didn't follow me in.

#36 Posted by ProfessorEss (7309 posts) -

@Jams said:

you say, "Thanks for the offer, but I prefer women."

Well met sir.

#37 Posted by believer258 (11776 posts) -

You do the same thing you did as a kid - ignore it.

@CatsAkimbo said:

Just curious, but what would you all do in a similar situation of a homeless/possibly mentally ill person following you in a city and saying shit about you? I've had this happen after I told someone I didn't have money on me.

Call the police.

#38 Posted by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

@CL60 said:

Best suggestion yet!

#39 Posted by bennyboy (328 posts) -

What I really hate is when you approach a crosswalk and the kids just stand there on purpose knowing that you have to stop and you can't do anything about it. i feel absolutely defeated when this happens.

#40 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1171 posts) -

I had the same problem before except some kids called me a fag. Its a hard thing to do because you can't really fight them or anything that would give you satisfaction.

#41 Posted by CatsAkimbo (616 posts) -

@bennyboy said:

What I really hate is when you approach a crosswalk and the kids just stand there on purpose knowing that you have to stop and you can't do anything about it. i feel absolutely defeated when this happens.

Ugh. Some kids were doing this at a crosswalk near me -- a crosswalk that recently had a lot more signs and lights put on it after someone I knew was killed in a hit and run at that very crosswalk. I wanted to pull over and yell at them so badly, but they were only like 10. Fucking kids.

#42 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Many of the outrageous claims that hoodlums make are illegitimate, so don't waste you time contesting them. They should spend their time doing other things, rather than investing precious moments to be a cunt.

#43 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

@CatsAkimbo said:

I ended up saying nothing and entered the nearest building I could find, which luckily had a guard, and the homeless person didn't follow me in.

Not too long ago I was harassed by a homeless dude who pulled out a knife on me while I was waiting for my bus to come after work. I ignored him because he was shouting jibberish and he eventually went away. I seriously thought I was going to get stabbed though... I had 911 on speed dial.

#44 Edited by ChrisTobin (56 posts) -

Did they look dangerous? If not you should return that corner in a trenchcoat and stare at them from across the street. Follow them home and make sure they notice you. Sit across the street from their house for a long time. Grin when they stare at you. Don't do anything, just freak them out.

Or ignore them.

#45 Posted by mikethekilla (328 posts) -

Why do you care about what hoodlums think?

#46 Posted by IzzyGraze (850 posts) -

I generally just ignore them or give them a look that says "really?". Most of the time it's people in their cars yelling shit out their windows.

#47 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

lol that is just horrible. welt brush it off, if it's a adult then get up in their face.

#48 Edited by Arkasai (701 posts) -

I have no problem yelling at rude people. It's somewhat of a recent development of mine where in the last five years or so I've felt no inhibitions as far as putting assholes in their place. I recently moved to an apartment near a major intersection that always gets blocked by cross traffic, so people sometimes lean on their horn waiting for cars to clear the intersection (this is a new development, people never used the horn when I was a kid.) I can hear this from my apartment and it's extremely annoying, so now wherever I'm crossing the street at this intersection and someone does this, I walk right up to their window and yell "SHUT THE FUCK UP" at their face. I've done this twice, and guess what? It's been two months since I've heard someone lean on their horn.

#49 Posted by bennyboy (328 posts) -

@CatsAkimbo said:

@bennyboy said:

Ugh. Some kids were doing this at a crosswalk near me -- a crosswalk that recently had a lot more signs and lights put on it after someone I knew was killed in a hit and run at that very crosswalk. I wanted to pull over and yell at them so badly, but they were only like 10. Fucking kids.

I'm really sorry to hear that man. I can relate as I also just lost a friend in a drunk and drive hit-and-run. These kids need to get the shit beaten out of them by their parents or something. Hopefully I'm not opening up a whole new can of worms by saying that...

#50 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

@LooseChange said:

Damn.. if they were adults I'd say just walk up and push them and begin to start beating their ass.

And you assume the OP is Rambo why?