#1 Posted by Starklight (61 posts) -

I managed it last year, and am going for it again this year. Anyone else having a go?

(For those who don't know, NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month, were you can participate, and challenge yourself to write a 50,000 word novel in the 30-day month of November.)

#2 Posted by BionicMonster (1032 posts) -

What am I being punished for?

#3 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10479 posts) -

Wait, 50K words?!!? Seriously who can write a full-ass novel in a month? Not even regular-ass writers do that (usually). 

#4 Posted by Fortenium (102 posts) -

I am. 

I have like 1900 words so far.

#5 Posted by Romination (2775 posts) -

I'll try. Didn't know this was a thing, but I have something in the works already/

#6 Edited by eternitymemory (153 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan: You'd be surprised. A lot of people who participate in NaNoWriMo manage to write 50,000 easily. It's all about quantity, not quality.  

I'm participating this year. I'm doing a bunch of prompts that are all related to a single story I have. I figured that at least one prompt a day, at least 1700 words a prompt was doable. I just wish that I didn't have an English essay due this month. :'(
#7 Posted by nickux (1383 posts) -

I did it last year a few days ahead of schedule. This year, however, I just don't have the time (nor the same backlog of ideas). However, because of my job I'm thinking I'll end up writing as much this month but nothing related to NaNoWriMo. Still, it's a great exercise and I encourage all writers to at least try it. You won't write the best novel of your life but it's a much-needed kick in the ass for many of us. 

#8 Posted by Fallen189 (4941 posts) -

I am!

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (36013 posts) -

Wait, do I have to have some type of idea? Does it have to be good?

#10 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Thats five times the length of my dissertation. 

People actually do this for fun?

#11 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -

I'm doing it too, though I've fallen behind a bit and it's only day 2... crap!

#12 Posted by OutOfBounds9000 (2300 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" Wait, do I have to have some type of idea? Does it have to be good? "
Yeah,i was thinking about writing about some pepper going to Venus or something.
#13 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I'll try.

#14 Posted by Mmmslash (2166 posts) -

I do this every year, in fact.

I've never succeeded on time, but I don't think that's really the point, either.

#15 Posted by Video_Game_King (36013 posts) -
@OutOfBounds9000: 

I was thinking about writing something predictable. Go ahead, guess. You're probably right.
#16 Posted by NyxFe (248 posts) -

Sitting at about 7k myself with plenty left to write.  

It's a good way to get motivated to finally do some writing if its something you are interested in, but never manage to get around to. 

#17 Posted by Mrnitropb (2090 posts) -

Shit I'm behind already with 5k words!

#18 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I will never understand you people.  

Fuck, maybe I'll try this anyway. 

Or maybe I'll just say I'm going to do it and then not do it like every other year.

#19 Posted by Xeiphyer (5595 posts) -

A couple of my friends are, I thought about it but with university taking up so much of my time this semester I just can't.

#20 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:
" Wait, 50K words?!!? Seriously who can write a full-ass novel in a month? Not even regular-ass writers do that (usually).  "

50,000 Words is about 40 pages assuming you use the same font size as I did. I knocked together 9,000 words for the GTA: San Andreas page in about two days of solid writing. If you had the time to sit down and just keep typing you could probably get 50,000 words within a week. I personally did not know of this occurring each year, so I'm not partaking this year. I don't know if I will ever enter into the NaNoWriMo concept, but I still will put thought to it.
#21 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -

I've always kind of romanticized the idea of doing it, but November is my perennial busy month, so it just never pans out.

#22 Posted by Starklight (61 posts) -

It's depressing that 2 days in, I'm already behind.

#23 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -

I am, but I have a really annoying 12 page research paper to work on too. Plus work in my other classes. I only have just over 200 words right now, but I'll probably put some good work into it Thursday.

#24 Posted by litrock (173 posts) -

I'm doing it, this'll be my fourth year?  I'm about 8k in already. Last year wasn't very great, but this year seems to be rocking. I'm also on a gaming hiatus until December because of it. Or trying, anyway.

#25 Posted by damnboyadvance (4059 posts) -

I did it for the last 3 years, but I'm skipping it this year. Not so interested in the idea anymore, plus I don't have the time.