Naughty Brad's Hardcore History (presented by Brazzers)

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ok all jokes aside I was pretty stoked to hear Brad mention this podcast. I wouldn't call myself a history buff, I found it interesting in school but I don't read history books or anything but if you are even the least bit interested in history you really should check the podcast out.

http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hh

The dudes name is Dan Carlin, he's an amateur historian (or as he calls himself a fan of history) and it's basically just him talking about different events, but the way he talks and describes events is incredibly engaging. Seriously there's not many people I can just listen to talk for hours but he's one of them. I just finished learning about the fall of the Roman republic and it's a 6 episode series, the last one being 5 hours long. There's a series of episodes on Genghis Kahn that is totally fascinating. If you have the slightest interest in history you should check it out.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

That topic thread is really misleading.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I love history, so I'm really excited about this.

This thread title definitely threw me off and I was half-disappointed for just a second until I remembered yesterday's Bombcast.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's right, lure you in with lascivious promises then BAM time to learn you stuff about history.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@thesoutherndandy said:

That's right, lure you in with lascivious promises then BAM time to learn you stuff about history.

Argh! It's happening all over again, I need an adult! I need an adult!

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesoutherndandy said:

Argh! It's happening all over again, I need an adult! I need an adult!

Don't worry, I'll take care of you. I'll take REEEAL good care of you. Oh hey, while you're here, why don't I tell ya a little somethin about a guy named Julius Ceasar.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By deerokus

His Ghosts of the Ostfront series is superb, as is the one about Rome. He usually takes a few months between podcasts, but considering he's basically doing fantastic mini-audiobooks every time, it is understandable.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#9  Edited By pyromagnestir

Awwwwwwwwww...

Well, you know that old saying:

"Fool me once, shame on you. Now where did my pants end up? I should probably go look for them."

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Man, I got all excited about new photoshop opportunities and everything. Oh well.

Will definitely check this out though. Normally I'm a little leery of anyone promoting themselves as 'edgy' or 'controversial' when it comes to history - history is fucking nuts enough on its own, it doesn't need your latter-day History Channel bullshit - but the fact that he at least lists relevant texts in the description is very encouraging.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This is not the Hardcore History I was looking for...

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No Caption Provided

History. Hardcore.

I bookmarked it.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deerokus said:

His Ghosts of the Ostfront series is superb, as is the one about Rome. He usually takes a few months between podcasts, but considering he's basically doing fantastic mini-audiobooks every time, it is understandable.

Yeah I think Ghosts is the next one on my list. I really liked Thor's Angels too.

Man, I got all excited about new photoshop opportunities and everything. Oh well.

Will definitely check this out though. Normally I'm a little leery of anyone promoting themselves as 'edgy' or 'controversial' when it comes to history - history is fucking nuts enough on its own, it doesn't need your latter-day History Channel bullshit - but the fact that he at least lists relevant texts in the description is very encouraging.

Yeah it's sorta a weird description, not super kicked on the name either but the actual content is really really good. He does his best to use a number of good sources and avoids sensationalizing things. Like you say history is totally nuts on its own, its weird how in school you can sorta just gloss over facts and figures (or at least I did). But the way he talks about events and people, for example Genghis Kahn and describes things like the fact that he killed an estimated 40-60 million people...it's sorta hard to wrap your head around things like that.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spankmealotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is one of my favorite podcasts. I was happy when Brad mentioned it and more people will check it out.

jchenderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jchenderson

Awesome podcast and for newbie's I recommend Ghosts of the Ostfront. Might be behind a pay wall now but worth it.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Hardcore History is fantastic.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bigjeffrey

@i_stay_puft said:

That topic thread is really misleading.

What i thought

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I took my pants off for this?

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Moonshadow101

I was really excited when they brought it up. I've listened to his Roman series three times in the past two years. It's wonderfully engaging. His most recent one on the Münster Rebellion is also fantastic.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Expected something ells, but got something great instead! This sounds like a really interesting podcast. Downloading the Wrath of the Khans episodes now.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, Hardcore History is probably the best podcast out there. I would really like to see what he could do with a TV show.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@markwahlberg: I would burn down a school for a Twinkie. (To be clear I would NOT DO SUCH A THING IT WAS A JOKE I LOVE EVERYBODY DO NOT ARREST ME PLEASE)

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jimbo

Listening to Mike Duncan's The History of Rome at the moment. It's great.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By falserelic

Hmmm..I thought I was going to see some suga wall action, but I wrong, very wrong.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I was expecting photoshops with the Brazzers logo.

I leave disappointed.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought I was going to see Brad's browser history.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@markwahlberg: I would burn down a school for a Twinkie. (To be clear I would NOT DO SUCH A THING IT WAS A JOKE I LOVE EVERYBODY DO NOT ARREST ME PLEASE)

And that was the last time anyone ever heard from the Southern Dandy.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Alrighty. Type "Hardcore History" into iTunes. *click. click*

HOLY SHIT! Four and half hours?! I'm listening..

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By falserelic
GeneralZod37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GeneralZod37

Tried listening to the podcast a couple times, but I could never make it past 20 minutes either time due to Dan's voice and speech pattern. I found myself developing a headache and growing irritable. I guess whatever pitch he hits just does not sit well with me.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Been listening to Hardcore History for a while, was enthused to hear Brad talking about it. My favorite episode is Thor's Angels, because it primarily deals with the Germanic tribes of the Roman era, as they turned into the Franks, and eventually the French. It mostly deals with the post-Roman and pre-Christian era of Western Europe, which I'm very interested in. The Migration itself is probably the part of history I find most absorbing, it was perhaps the last major period of European civilization where everything was truly in flux.

Eventually I'll have to shell out to hear his episode about 1066 in Britain. Due to the language crossover, I probably know the most about Britain of any European nation and 1066 was when they were essentially hooked up to the rest of Europe permanently.

thornie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan Carlin is a boss. I've been listening for a long time as well. His history of the Roman Empire is incredible. It should required listening for all fans of history. I also love his series on the Eastern Front in WW2. Just great.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

8 hours of podcast about Genghis Khan? SOLD

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tried listening to the podcast a couple times, but I could never make it past 20 minutes either time due to Dan's voice and speech pattern. I found myself developing a headache and growing irritable. I guess whatever pitch he hits just does not sit well with me.

Well all I can say is I've found my new white noise tune.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope Dan Carlin somehow comes across this thread and is both happy that his show is getting positive attention and at the same time wonders what the hell is wrong with this community. Glammed up Johnny V will do that.