• 69 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by thatpinguino (735 posts) -

Now that the NBA Final match-up has been set who do you guys have in the Heat vs. Thunder throwdown. It is the eternal struggle between fire and lightning played out in the world of basketball. Will it be the Durantula or the King?

edit: I like the thunder in 7.

#2 Edited by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

I'll go with OKC. The Heat are pretty much the Wangro of the NBA still and it would be nice to see the Thunder win their first championship as a franchise. (If you don't know who Wangro is, watch the movie Heat god damn it!).

Edit: Ha, unintentional entendre

#3 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

OKC in 5 or 6

#4 Posted by D0tti (786 posts) -

I'm really hoping for OKC here, mainly cause I really dislike the Heat. So i'm going OKC in 7.

#5 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1002 posts) -

I want Lebron James to never get a ring, ever. So Thunder in 4 if I'm dreaming, but realistically it might go to 6 or 7. Just as long as the Heat doesn't win, I'm fine. 

#6 Posted by stryker1121 (1359 posts) -

As a Cavs fan I have a natural distaste for everything Heat related, so... OKC in 6..Eastern Conf was weak this yr and MIA in Finals was a foregone conclusion after Rose injury. OKC is young, deep and playing out of their minds right now.

#7 Edited by Philantrophy (354 posts) -

I hope the Heat win, so everybody that hates Lebron have one less thing to criticize him for. I mean how long can you hold a grudge?

#8 Posted by mustachioeugene (500 posts) -

@D0tti said:

I'm really hoping for OKC here, mainly cause I really dislike the Heat. So i'm going OKC in 7.

Because my NBA team is terrible, a lot of the playoffs is me cheering against teams I dislike, so eff the Heat.

Go OKC.

#9 Posted by EndlessObsidian (473 posts) -

@Bobby_The_Great said:

I want Lebron James to never get a ring, ever. So Thunder in 4 if I'm dreaming, but realistically it might go to 6 or 7. Just as long as the Heat doesn't win, I'm fine.

.

#10 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

Go Heat!!!

#11 Posted by Hunkulese (2657 posts) -

Did the Raptors make it?

#12 Posted by Gearhead (2251 posts) -

I'm a Celtics fan...

So fuck the Heat. Thunder in 6.

#13 Posted by JacDG (2114 posts) -

I really want to watch it, but as usual with Basketball, it is almost impossible living in Europe, I used to really like the Sonics before they moved, so I guess OKC, but at the same time I want Lebron to get a ring, because he is an amazing player and deserves it, at least in my mind.

#14 Edited by cheeckoo (25 posts) -

3 weeks ago I would have bet my next paycheck that the west was going to win it and that the trophy was staying in Texas

and then I saw game 6 of the eastern final, and if Lebron is back at that level it's going to be quick.

I wouldn't shock me if Miami wins in 5, it will disgused me, but it's not like I would chear for the zombie-Sonics in a game 7

#15 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

@cheeckoo: I don't think the series will be over that quick. It is going at least 6 games, even if Chris Bosh is 100% healthy and the Heat's bench plays like they are paid. The X-Factor is the aforementioned Bosh. The past Heat series showed just how important he is. He is a big man who is a great perimeter shooter. That forces the opponents big men (in this case, Ibaka and Perkins) to leave the paint. That, of course, leaves open a lane for the LBJ freight train and Wade sonic jet (no pun intended) to drive to the basket.

That said, the Thunder still have the best scorer is the league in Durant and a supremely athletic and talented (if not unstable) guard in Westbrook. Not to mention the best 6th man in Harden. It;s going to be a really good series and one the NBA should be proud of. The two present and future dynasties of basketball colliding and both Durant/LeBron (arguably the two best players in the world) going against each other (figuratively and literally on the court) to get their first title.

I can't wait until tomorrow night!

#16 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3112 posts) -

OKC in game 6.

#17 Posted by smitty86 (697 posts) -

Using my brain: OKC in 6

Using my heart: OKC in 3 (you read that right)

#18 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6191 posts) -

I think Miami would take the first couple of games then OKC might clutch it out.

#19 Posted by MechaKirby (187 posts) -

Thunder. Not because I have any hate for the Heat - I like LeBron, Wade and Bosh. I just LOVE the Thunder. Durant, Westbrook and Harden are all so awesome. Super talented young team. If they prevent the Heat from winning a championship again this year, this will be a big statement that that is an incorrect way to build a team, which I'm sure we all want to be said.

#20 Posted by D0tti (786 posts) -
@mustachioeugene: Well my team was the Bulls but Rose's and Noah's injuries fucked that up.
#21 Posted by Mageman (351 posts) -

Who gives a shit about NBA when the NHL finals are still not over. ( a few more hours before the Kings hopefully take it)

#22 Posted by Grilledcheez (3943 posts) -

HEAT in 7

#23 Posted by Doctorchimp (4071 posts) -

I love the story of Kevin Durant.

#24 Posted by MocBucket62 (1160 posts) -
@Mageman: Yeah PLEASE KINGS, win this series already! 
 
As for the NBA Finals, I hate saying it but the Heat will take it in 7.
#25 Posted by cheeckoo (25 posts) -

@CitizenKane: the reason I'm not dismissing the series ending in 5 games is because of the format and Miami getting 3 home game in a row

the matchups are promising, but I'm still not completly over missing out on a Westbrook - Rondo duel (not to mention a Duncan - Garnett)

anyway if the coachs don't turn this into a freethrow contest every 4th quarter It might be one to remember

@D0tti: Rose last year allmost scared me, I really don't want another Brandon Roy :'(

#26 Posted by tphickma (62 posts) -

Thunder , I'm hoping

#27 Posted by BoFooQ (666 posts) -

hopefully it's entertaining but over quickly at the same time I'm tired of basketball.

OKC in 4

#28 Posted by JCTango (1358 posts) -

@thatpinguino: OKC! I was rooting for the Celtics (wanted to see an underdog make it, especially since they were full of old vets - wanted to see some fight), but now I want to see "the new guard" take the reigns.

#29 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

Thunder all the way. I was looking forward to a OKC Boston finals but oh well.

#30 Posted by GaspoweR (2835 posts) -

Can't cheer for or against either teams... I dislike them both equally.

#31 Edited by GaspoweR (2835 posts) -

@D0tti said:

@mustachioeugene: Well my team was the Bulls but Rose's and Noah's injuries fucked that up.

Also this...dammit. I thought THIS WAS GOING TO BE THE YEAR. So sad (T_T)

#32 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1478 posts) -

James Harden's beard beat the refs in five games.

#33 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

@MechaKirby said:

Thunder. Not because I have any hate for the Heat - I like LeBron, Wade and Bosh. I just LOVE the Thunder. Durant, Westbrook and Harden are all so awesome. Super talented young team. If they prevent the Heat from winning a championship again this year, this will be a big statement that that is an incorrect way to build a team, which I'm sure we all want to be said.

I don't know why people are angry about how the Heat came together. Three of the best players in the world and stars of the NBA are all good friends and decided that they want to play together while they are still in their prime. With the image of star athletes as greedy and selfish hanging big over the NBA, these three guys took less money and less of the individual attention they could have gotten if they just went to three different teams just so that they can have more fun playing alongside their best friends.

What isn't to like about that?

#34 Posted by bennyboy (328 posts) -

I'm pretty sure OKC will take it. They play way more collaborative basketball.

My Spurs :(

#35 Posted by iBePeRFeCT (396 posts) -

CitizenKane makes some great points. I'm not sure why everyone hates the Heat so much. All 3 of the superstars took reduced salaries to play together so they could hopefully win a ring, which is what it is all about. I would love my Heat to win in 5, but realistically it will probably go the full 7. I really want my Heat to win it this year. It was heartbreaking after watching them collapse last year in the Finals.

#36 Posted by stryker1121 (1359 posts) -

@CitizenKane said:

@MechaKirby said:

Thunder. Not because I have any hate for the Heat - I like LeBron, Wade and Bosh. I just LOVE the Thunder. Durant, Westbrook and Harden are all so awesome. Super talented young team. If they prevent the Heat from winning a championship again this year, this will be a big statement that that is an incorrect way to build a team, which I'm sure we all want to be said.

I don't know why people are angry about how the Heat came together. Three of the best players in the world and stars of the NBA are all good friends and decided that they want to play together while they are still in their prime. With the image of star athletes as greedy and selfish hanging big over the NBA, these three guys took less money and less of the individual attention they could have gotten if they just went to three different teams just so that they can have more fun playing alongside their best friends.

What isn't to like about that?

They colluded to form this super-team, w/ LeBron drawing out the process in an incredibly douche-tastic way (yes, I'm a Cavs fan and will root against LeBron for eternity). James barely lifted a finger in Cleveland to get players around him, and signed a 3-yr deal after his rookie contracted elapsed, signalling to any potential FAs that he would not stick in C-town. So the argument that "LeBron never had anything around him" in Cleveland is partially the fault of the "King" himself.

The incredibly egotistical and drawn out dog-and-pony show of summer '10 killed any chance the Cavs had move on, harming the franchise in the short term. Then, of course, The Decision (i.e. "The Worst PR Move Ever) followed by the WWE introduction w/ his "best friends" that same week. There's nothing to like about the Heat, IMO. I hope the team as currently assembled never wins anything.

Luckily, I'm not bitter about it. ;)

#37 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

@stryker1121 said:

@CitizenKane said:

@MechaKirby said:

Thunder. Not because I have any hate for the Heat - I like LeBron, Wade and Bosh. I just LOVE the Thunder. Durant, Westbrook and Harden are all so awesome. Super talented young team. If they prevent the Heat from winning a championship again this year, this will be a big statement that that is an incorrect way to build a team, which I'm sure we all want to be said.

I don't know why people are angry about how the Heat came together. Three of the best players in the world and stars of the NBA are all good friends and decided that they want to play together while they are still in their prime. With the image of star athletes as greedy and selfish hanging big over the NBA, these three guys took less money and less of the individual attention they could have gotten if they just went to three different teams just so that they can have more fun playing alongside their best friends.

What isn't to like about that?

They colluded to form this super-team, w/ LeBron drawing out the process in an incredibly douche-tastic way (yes, I'm a Cavs fan and will root against LeBron for eternity). James barely lifted a finger in Cleveland to get players around him, and signed a 3-yr deal after his rookie contracted elapsed, signalling to any potential FAs that he would not stick in C-town. So the argument that "LeBron never had anything around him" in Cleveland is partially the fault of the "King" himself.

The incredibly egotistical and drawn out dog-and-pony show of summer '10 killed any chance the Cavs had move on, harming the franchise in the short term. Then, of course, The Decision (i.e. "The Worst PR Move Ever) followed by the WWE introduction w/ his "best friends" that same week. There's nothing to like about the Heat, IMO. I hope the team as currently assembled never wins anything.

Luckily, I'm not bitter about it. ;)

LeBron signed a 3-year deal because he wanted to keep his options open so that he isn't stuck with a team that he sees as not getting better around him. That wouldn't affect FA as much as you think because the potential FAs know that if they are good enough and play well enough, LeBron will stay.

His "recruiting" process was just that. The recruiting process that he never got from colleges because he went straight from high school. Every young kid (especially athletes) likes to be courted and the college recruiting process gives them that. LeBron never had that (Wade and Bosh did), so I don't blame him for drawing it out and getting something that every athlete, and every person in general wants and only sometimes gets. "The Decision" raised $2 million for the Boys & Girls Club. LeBron didn't get a penny. As ego stroking as it might have been, it also served a great cause that most people seem to ignore.

As far as the celebration thing. It was just like what a lot of teams do, except on a bigger scale. It was something for the fans to enjoy and celebrate three great players and friends coming together to try to win championships. And people way overblow the "Not 1. Not 2. Not 3..." It was politician speak and a pep rally. Sports is filled to the top with hyperbole. He was just getting the crowed excited.

#38 Posted by Dalai (7005 posts) -

I've got the Sonics winning in 6 games.

#39 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

@Dalai said:

I've got the Sonics winning in 6 games.

Now that is just mean.

#40 Posted by Hailinel (23978 posts) -

As a Seattle resident that also finds LeBron classless, this is the worst possible Finals match-up. I'd rather slit my wrists and fill the wounds with salt than watch either team win.

#41 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

@Dalai said:

I've got the Sonics winning in 6 games.

If they still had Shawn Kemp I would pick them in 4.

#42 Posted by spankingaddict (2659 posts) -

Go Sonics...I mean Thunder ! I wish this was a poll .

#43 Posted by PatchMaster (200 posts) -

@Gearhead said:

I'm a Celtics fan...

So fuck the Heat. Thunder in 6.

Same here. Gonna go with Thunder in 6 as well.

#44 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

Thunder in 6.

#45 Posted by stryker1121 (1359 posts) -

@CitizenKane said:

@stryker1121 said:

@CitizenKane said:

@MechaKirby said:

Thunder. Not because I have any hate for the Heat - I like LeBron, Wade and Bosh. I just LOVE the Thunder. Durant, Westbrook and Harden are all so awesome. Super talented young team. If they prevent the Heat from winning a championship again this year, this will be a big statement that that is an incorrect way to build a team, which I'm sure we all want to be said.

I don't know why people are angry about how the Heat came together. Three of the best players in the world and stars of the NBA are all good friends and decided that they want to play together while they are still in their prime. With the image of star athletes as greedy and selfish hanging big over the NBA, these three guys took less money and less of the individual attention they could have gotten if they just went to three different teams just so that they can have more fun playing alongside their best friends.

What isn't to like about that?

They colluded to form this super-team, w/ LeBron drawing out the process in an incredibly douche-tastic way (yes, I'm a Cavs fan and will root against LeBron for eternity). James barely lifted a finger in Cleveland to get players around him, and signed a 3-yr deal after his rookie contracted elapsed, signalling to any potential FAs that he would not stick in C-town. So the argument that "LeBron never had anything around him" in Cleveland is partially the fault of the "King" himself.

The incredibly egotistical and drawn out dog-and-pony show of summer '10 killed any chance the Cavs had move on, harming the franchise in the short term. Then, of course, The Decision (i.e. "The Worst PR Move Ever) followed by the WWE introduction w/ his "best friends" that same week. There's nothing to like about the Heat, IMO. I hope the team as currently assembled never wins anything.

Luckily, I'm not bitter about it. ;)

LeBron signed a 3-year deal because he wanted to keep his options open so that he isn't stuck with a team that he sees as not getting better around him. That wouldn't affect FA as much as you think because the potential FAs know that if they are good enough and play well enough, LeBron will stay.

His "recruiting" process was just that. The recruiting process that he never got from colleges because he went straight from high school. Every young kid (especially athletes) likes to be courted and the college recruiting process gives them that. LeBron never had that (Wade and Bosh did), so I don't blame him for drawing it out and getting something that every athlete, and every person in general wants and only sometimes gets. "The Decision" raised $2 million for the Boys & Girls Club. LeBron didn't get a penny. As ego stroking as it might have been, it also served a great cause that most people seem to ignore.

As far as the celebration thing. It was just like what a lot of teams do, except on a bigger scale. It was something for the fans to enjoy and celebrate three great players and friends coming together to try to win championships. And people way overblow the "Not 1. Not 2. Not 3..." It was politician speak and a pep rally. Sports is filled to the top with hyperbole. He was just getting the crowed excited.

LeBron is from Northeast Ohio, the land of The Fumble, THe Shot, The Drive, etc. Him going out of his way to embarrass Cleveland and give us another 'highlight' for our "misery reel" was inexcusable. The Boys and Girls club was thin window-dressing. He could have had a regular press conference to announce his defection --Kevin Durant signed a 5-yr deal around the same time w/ OKC that barely got pub. Clean and easy. And James wonders why he's despised...amazing.

As for the 3-yr deal, Why would a good FA come to the Cavs when their best player would not commit? Circular logic by James that hastened his ouster. I would not be surprised if he had his eyes elsewhere already when he signed that deal. Plus it must be repeated that James did next to nothing to recruit players to Cleveland.

The FA 'recruiting process' was unprofessional and unnecessary. James was not in HS or college. He owed it to the franchise, the same one that coddled his every whim for seven years, to at least tell them he was on his way out so they could prepare for a future post-Bron. Instead, he had to have his 'taking his talents to South Beach' look-at-me moment that exploded in his face.

The Miami Thrice celebration business could have again been condensed into a press conference. Hold up the jerseys and smile and not act like a bunch of prima-donna dicks.

Not trying to be an aggressive a-hole here, but as a Cleveland fan who loves my city, this shit hits close to my heart. My generation has never seen a championship in life, so we tend to get a little tetchy when people defend James and the Heat. Thank you for keeping things civil on your end..

#46 Posted by thatpinguino (735 posts) -

My Kevin Durant Super Sonics jersey wants the thunder to win so bad.

#47 Posted by ozzdog12 (856 posts) -

@ThePhantomnaut: OKC hasnt and wont lose at home in the playoffs...using that logic OKC in 7 at most...im saying 5...Plus I'm an OKC fan so I prefer 4

#48 Posted by BongChilla (205 posts) -

Thunder best start shooting better because they are getting a beat down at the moment

#49 Posted by thatpinguino (735 posts) -

1-1 and there seems to be a pattern going on here: Heat jump out to a huge lead then fight to hold on to it for three quarters. The Thunder seem to be handcuffed by how Westbrook feels like playing on a given day, either shoot like crazy or facilitate, with wins coming when he steps back and losses coming when he tries to take over. Also I love seeing Shane Battie playing like the no-stat all-star that he has been for much of his career.

#50 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3112 posts) -

Oklahoma City. That is all.