#1 Posted by Trains (134 posts) -

Have you ever had a near death experience?

#2 Posted by TooWalrus (12970 posts) -

There was this time I slipped off a curb and almost got clipped by a car but then I didn't. Life goes on.

#3 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

Yep, rolled a car with three friends in it, Crashed at 90mph and went over 7 times into a ditch. I lost 4 pints of blood and cracked a large hole into my skull, was in hospital for 6 months, was close to dying apparently.

#4 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2140 posts) -

When I was like 8 years old I could have drowned. I was at a beach with my cousin and we were playing shark and I chased him out too far. I started to swallow a bunch of water and could barely scream for help but luckily some lady heard me and potentially saved our lives.

#5 Posted by AjayRaz (12389 posts) -

i was in a van with like eight people when one of the front wheels of the van flew off and we nearly went off the side of the road and off to a large fall

#6 Posted by big_jon (5657 posts) -

Not really near death I guess, but when I first started getting my really bad Crohn's symptoms I went down to 185lbs and had to go to the hospital I was so weak that I needed the help of a small nurse to get me to my hospital bed.

That was a year ago, if I didn't eventually get the right medication I can't imagine I'd be alive today.

#7 Posted by beepmachine (613 posts) -

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

Yep, rolled a car with three friends in it, Crashed at 90mph and went over 7 times into a ditch. I lost 4 pints of blood and cracked a large hole into my skull, was in hospital for 6 months, was close to dying apparently.

Jesus, that's crazy, you're one tough sumbitch. Why were you going that fast?

#8 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

@dennisthemennis: We were on our way to London to fly to New York and were very late, everyone was shouting at me to get them there and the front left tyre blew out.

#9 Posted by SMTDante89 (2470 posts) -

Been in a couple of car accidents, one where we slid into a coal truck (ice) and another when the driver had a seizure and crashed into a guard rail, nearly falling over a roughly 200 foot drop.

#10 Posted by JaredA (806 posts) -

Once, when I was about 12, I was visiting my mother's friend at her farm. I was just chilling in a pen petting all the cute, friendly farm-beasts, and then out of nowhere a ram (Savage gore-horns and all) broke down a part of it's cage and charged me! Now, I was a pretty small kid then so if that beast got me I would have been pretty much screwed. Anyway, I had to run about 20 feet to the fence with the ram chasing me, I closed the distance in what I assumed was record time and climbed over the fence and escaped certain doom.

The End.

#11 Edited by Canteu (2814 posts) -

Nope.

Fun Fact: I have never been to hospital and have never broken or fractured any bones.

#12 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

Everytime I bend back too much in a chair.

#13 Posted by Demoskinos (13833 posts) -

I rolled a car....got hit driver side by a bread truck in another accident. Fell down a flight of stairs as a kid. Uh dunno most likely more stuff but I forget.

#14 Posted by crusader8463 (14303 posts) -

I was too young to remember the actual event, but my mom told me about it when I was older. I was around 4-5 and my dad took me up to a relatives house for some reason and when I got out of the truck the farm dog, a German Shepard, took off like a bat out of hell for no apparent reason and charged at me growling and snarling it's teeth. I didn't notice it coming but my dad did and he ran around the truck and jumped in front of the dog as it was in mid leap with its jaws ready to wrap around my neck. My dad caught it with his bear hands and tackled it to the ground wrestling with it for a few moments. After fighting with the dog he managed to snap its neck and kill it.

My father used to do some work on the side and was a lumberjack who would clear wood areas for local farmers that needed farming land for haying or animals. Well my mom and I went to take him his lunch one time and it almost killed me. This one happened when I was old enough to remember so I think it was around 8-10. This job was a rather steep hill on the side of a road that needed to be cleared. So as the trees were cut they would roll down the hill to the ditch at the bottom. Well I was walking up the hill to bring him his lunch when another guy that was with him had just finished cutting a tree and it started rolling down the hill towards me. My dad had to throw down a running chainsaw and dash a good 20 feet and managed to block a tree with his body as it was about to roll over me. I was still a very small kid at the time so the tree would have killed me or at least did some serious damage had it of hit. He couldn't walk very far for a few days, his shins were black and blue for a week, and he had to get several stitches in his right leg but he made it out ok other than that.

#15 Posted by Canteu (2814 posts) -

@crusader8463: Holy shit. Your dad is an effing MAN.

#16 Posted by BiffMcBlumpkin (3719 posts) -

Only once. I got too close to crusader8463 and his enormous Hulk of a Father came out of nowhere and rammed his arm up my anus, all the way to the elbow. It damn near killed me but it felt pretty good.

#17 Posted by TopSteer (624 posts) -

I was in a pretty bad car accident, apparently by what other people have said about the state of my car I was really lucky to come out with only a messed up knee.

#18 Posted by crusader8463 (14303 posts) -

@Canteu: Ya he's a tough SOB that's for sure.

#19 Posted by crusader8463 (14303 posts) -

@BiffMcBlumpkin said:

Only once. I got too close to crusader8463 and his enormous Hulk of a Father came out of nowhere and rammed his arm up my anus, all the way to the elbow. It damn near killed me but it felt pretty good.

That's what you get for disguising yourself as a tree and rolling down hills to attack children.

#20 Posted by BiffMcBlumpkin (3719 posts) -

I had no choice, my German Shepard costume was at the Cleaner's.

#21 Posted by CaLe (3678 posts) -

4 times.

1. As a child, retrieving a ball from underneath a parked vehicle which then drove away -- missing my head by inches.

2. As a child, walking along an edge with a with a steep vertical drop (death) on one side. I lost my balance and I should have died right there and then. I should have fallen off and for some reason I didn't. Pure luck.

3. Cutting across 3 lanes to get off a motorway at the last possible moment (on a motorbike). One of the dumbest things I've done -- a car travelling at 80mph missed me by literally centimeters.

4. Crashing said motorbike and having my head slide along the ground for at least 20 meters. Helmets really do save lives people.

I've been hit by a bus. I've had serious BMX crashes. I've been chased by someone who literally would have killed me if he caught me. Some other stuff I'm sure..

#22 Posted by Vestigial_Man (308 posts) -

I've had the usual scary moments everyone seems to have hillwalking but nothing that has ever resulted in any serious harm. I consider myself very lucky to have avoided pretty much any serious injury so far, I'm still a teenager though so there's plenty of time left for that to change.

#23 Edited by Thrillhouse87 (221 posts) -

I don't really have any exciting stories, but I almost choke on a piece of steak while watching a quick look once.

I would have died doing what I loved...