Need Help Picking Out a Horror Movie

ProjektGill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By ProjektGill

So basically me and some friends have this weekly movie night and since next week is Halloween and all, we decided on a horror movie which I get to choose.

Now here are the caveats: Nothing super crazy (Martyrs, Antichrist etc.) but also nothing that induces too much dread (like House of the Devil). Maybe more Cabin in the Woods level if that makes sense.

My current thoughts are either the recentEvil Dead (which I felt was kinda fun horror), Coherence (haven't seen but heard great things about) or Horns (out on VOD and looks fun).

I'm open to any and all recommendations, hopefully you guys and gals can help me out.

DrSbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DrSbaitso

Classic horror, you can't go wrong with The Shining (Kubrick version) or The Thing (Carpenter version)

New(ish) horror, I don't know about anyone else but I really liked The Midnight Meat Train; love Clive Barker. Also maybe Teeth?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By cornbredx

Despite the fact that I worry you will be precluding good horror movies I'll give it a shot anyway and you are free to ignore me.

You can never go wrong with The Thing (1982). It's still an amazing, intense, well acted, well cast, well everything horror film. A true masterpiece for a reason.

If that's not to your taste, or maybe you want something a bit different, most any Darren Arronofsky film will do, but I would specifically point out Black Swan as it's one of the best horror/thriller films in the last decade.

If that's too slow for what you're going for another great Director is David Cronenberg who makes thought provoking films, but they are full of more obvious horror for those that don't actually want to think about the story being presented (until they care to). I have a hard time picking a favorite, but for this I'll point out Videodrome as I personally enjoy the plot, the message, and the special effects. Cronenberg was (he still makes film, but nothing like that anymore) one of the best at making a smart horror film while still giving the audience what they generally want. That way it can serve multiple tastes.

If you watch Evil Dead watch the original not the remake. Although, actually I would recommend Evil Dead 2. It's a fun film (there's a lot of comedy in it) and it's not pretending to be something it's not. It sort of rehashes the first movie before going off on it's own, but it says "You know, that first movie is a little too serious about this- this movie is dark so lets make it stupid too." It's worth it, you won't regret it if you want good horror with a legitimate sense of humor behind it. You don't have to know anything about the first movie to watch this film, except that Ash is a nerd and a scaredy cat in the first movie and he's now suddenly a bad ass in 2. I don't think that's much of a spoiler, but I blocked it just in case.

I could name more, but this is getting long so I'll leave it at that.

PoorTommy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By PoorTommy

I will also testify to the movies provided in the responses, OP. Those are some fine selections, if older movies are at all toothsome for you.

I don't watch many modern movies, much less modern horror, however, there is the thriller Cache (2005), directed by Michael Haneke, which may interest you. He is famous for his controversial horror Funny Games, which I enjoyed -- but I won't go into those reasons here -- however, I don't think that is a movie for a group to enjoy. Again, it is primarily a thriller, not a horror, but it might be the right movie for you and your friends if it caters to your taste. It is a rather smart film that does not steep into cliche or supernatural contrivances.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By handlas

Coherence is the best movie out of those that you mentioned.

Evil Dead is the best "horror" movie out of those that you mentioned.

Horns is not a good movie.

May I suggest a little movie called LOL? Ok, not really. How about Session 9? That's a good creepy but not overly gory movie. Or Subject Two... a movie I've heard no one ever talk about ever but quite enjoyed it. It's clearly a low-budget affair though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

If you haven't seen Re-Animator then I highly recommend it. Seems exactly like what your looking for in the goofy but kinda scary department.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Early eighties body horror such as Videodrome or the Fly.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goofy and kind of scary screams Gremlins to me. I highly DON'T recommend Coherence. I despised just about everything about that movie. Lame, not scary in the least, annoying characters doing stupid, stupid things. My education in physics might have something to do with my bias against it too.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By theacidskull

My personal suggestion would be Jacobs Ladder; it's a bit old, yes, but it has a lot of good elements going for it. It's more of a psychological horror than anything else, but that's what really got me to like it. It's subtle, and focuses on the inner turmoil or better yet, the denial of the main protagonist, which shouldn't be new to gamers when it comes to horror. In fact, if you've played silent hill, you'll definitely recognize the similarities between the two.

If you're looking for something new, then the only thing I'd could suggest is either Sinister or The Conjuring, both of which were unnerving in their own way. Sinister in particular is really disturbing with it's horrible imagery and spine chilling music.

Damn, I see you're looking for more fun. Try Deliver Us From Evil, I literally laughed my ass off watching that. It starts out as your typical horror, meeting basically every cliche category, but as it goes on there are some fun and hilarious moments. It tries to hard, is what I'm trying to say.

I've laughed at some moments from Insidious: Chapter 2 as well. It's not a funny movie, but I wouldn't say it's scary either; I'd call it fascinating above everything else.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By development

I think Contracted would fit your needs. I just watched it on Netflix. It's mostly focused around one person, and there are some... gross... moments. Nothing too bad, and they really don't show much. The acting is under-par and the writing is pretty ridiculous in a few scenes (like, shit just doesn't work like that in a real restaurant, film writers), but the makeup is absolutely fantastic for how B-level the rest of the movie is. Not super scary or super violent, but fairly tense at times and the brief moments of genuine violence are hilariously bad. Seriously; I laughed out loud at numerous spots in this film.

edit: also, Antichrist isn't that bad, is it? People talk about that movie like it's Saw or something. Just a quick stab and a quick snip in the same five minute scene and all the "real bad" stuff is done with.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SLEEPAWAY CAMP! Seriously, its great for get togethers!

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By cornbredx

I thought of another I could add that may be to your liking. Tucker and Dale versus evil is a newer film that is both horrifying and comedic. It takes a lot of horror tropes and turns it on it's head.

It's an infinitely superior film to Cabin in the Woods, as well.

Edit: ha, hamster said it at the same time. Weird.

Pontypool is another newer horror film that is legitimately good.

Ok, I'll stop now. I promise =P

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely any John Carpenter movie would do great. Prince of Darkness is fantastic and pretty creepy.

Re-Animator is an awesome H.P. Lovecraft adaptation, though not very scary. It's more along the lines of Evil Dead 2.

Also, From Beyond is an awesome mind fuck. It's by the same dudes as Re-Animator and based on Lovecraft.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

The new Evil Dead flick is great. Perfect for Halloween too.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found "You're Next" to be a real gory fun romp of a movie, but it might be a little too bloody for your tastes.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By wrecks

Slither.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whitegreyblack: love that movie, literally watched it 5 times the week it came out.

deathfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Martyrs is too gory/intense for you, I wouldn't recommend the Evil Dead remake. If you want a horror comedy go watch Dead Snow 2, it's rentable on Amazon Instant now.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stakeland

Colony024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched Murder Party last night. I'd say it's more dark comedy than horror, but a great fit for a Halloween themed movie night nonetheless.