Need help with game related research paper

Broomhitches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

For my Communication Law course I decided to write a research paper on copyright infringement in the video game industry and was wondering if any of you know of any articles or think I'm missing something. I want to make sure I don't miss out on relevant sources to cite.

Topics that I plan to address:

DRM

SOPA

Torrents (The Pirate Bay)

The Used Game Market

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Sinusoidal

Selling or buying used games is in no way copyright infringement...

Also, this little tidbit from Wikipedia (I can't find the original article) always cracks me up:

In South Korea, many video game consumers exploit illegal copies of video games, including for the Nintendo DS. In 2007, 500,000 copies of DS games were sold, while the sales of the DS hardware units was 800,000.

Piracy is so crazy rampant here (I'm in Korea) that in 2007, the DS sold more handhelds than games by a significant margin! At the same time, you could walk into just about any video game store that wasn't a giant chain store and get a chipped Wii, with external hard drive already loaded with games. Most places still have their giant catalogs of PS2 games that you can peruse, and get them to burn you a copy of just about any game for $5. I was here in 06 when Final Fantasy XII leaked, and it was available everywhere. I had the game a month before it was released. How could I resist? (Incidentally, I eventually bought a legit copy.)

Broomhitches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Broomhitches

@sinusoidal said:

I agree, but don't you think that I should address this issue, considering that some developers tried to make it illegal to resell games because they believed it was infringing the copyright?

Avatar image for thecatswhiskers
thecatswhiskers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

@sinusoidal said:

I agree, but don't you think that I should address this issue, considering that some developers tried to make it illegal to resell games because they believed it was infringing the copyright?

Depending on the word limit you might discuss the issue in the context of the evolution of copyright law to date, and potential developments in future law to address legal issues which develop alongside developing technology/industries.