#1 Edited by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

So I haven't had much thought of what I want to do when I'm in college. (I'm in high school) I just know that I want to be doing something with computers. Do any of you duders have jobs with computers? I'm wondering what are your jobs and what do you do. Im also thinking that I might get into designing video games. Does any one have experience in that field? I've been working on a bit of c++ programming. Is that good to study for games? Or should I be learning something else?

#2 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

I just know that I Wang

You sure do, SexyToad.

#3 Posted by Ley_Lines (251 posts) -

@ShadowConqueror said:

@SexyToad said:

I just know that I Wang

You sure do, SexyToad.

Well, you beat me to it, now I have nothing to add to the thread.

#4 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

You should be getting paid for being so damn sexy.

#5 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

That was a pretty bad typo.

#6 Posted by Cramsy (1164 posts) -

Check out computer sciences?

#7 Posted by Srah (79 posts) -

@ShadowConqueror said:

@SexyToad said:

I just know that I Wang

You sure do, SexyToad.

I'm sitting in a quiet computer lab trying to hide my laughter. It is hard.

#8 Edited by foggel (2763 posts) -

I recommend reading this thead: 
http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/why-youre-not-going-to-work-in-the-game-industry/508396/ 

He studied 3D animations or something.
This is what a dude in the industry said to him:  “You have a degree in multimedia… That’s not what we’re after. You should have gotten a fine-arts degree if you wanted to be an artist or a CS degree if you wanted to be a programmer.” “We would much rather teach an artist how to use a computer then attempt to teach a computer nerd art skills.” 

#9 Posted by envane (1159 posts) -

whatever they call it for you , IT , Computer Science , blah blah .. its great if thats your thing .. which is already sorta apparent if you are already studying c++ ( which is a great programming language, not that you wont need to learn more than that)

game designing you could start doing now .. what makes you different from (insert Indie developer here) ? trial and error man trial and error ..

its great that you don't know what you want to do with your life right now .. or even your next phase of education .. that kind of doubt in life starts to slip away as you grow up , so i say keep questioning and assessing what you could possibly do in life .... meh i dunno

WANG !

#10 Posted by Fattony12000 (7053 posts) -
#11 Posted by ManU_Fan10ne (662 posts) -

I'm also in the same boat as you (being in high school and not knowing what you want to do). On one hand, I want to do something with computers (Computer Engineering?), but on the other hand, I'm thinking about being a doctor (now the problem is what kind, but I think I want to work with disabled/mentally challenged children). The impression I get from most working adults I know is that you should go for a job/career that you like, but make sure you can make a living on it.

#12 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1021 posts) -

@SexyToad: I think John Carmack still thinks C++ is the best, so it's probably pretty good.

#13 Posted by crusader8463 (14412 posts) -

Don't waste your time trying to get into gaming by going to gaming schools. If you want to be a programmer take programming courses and get a job as a programmer on anything. Then once you have some experience a year or two later see about jumping into gaming. As said already, if art is your thing go to real art schools. It takes years to become an artist and days to become a 3d modeler.

#14 Posted by Galiant (2179 posts) -

@SexyToad: I work as a systems analyst for a local software company. From what I can tell, within games C++ is very common, as is C# (because of the XNA framework). You might also want to learn some Objective C, as games for iOS are popular and you might find yourself working on games for that platform as your first job, who knows?

Best of luck to you with your endeavors. Programming is fun, eh? =)

#15 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -

I think gave you some pretty sound advice. It sounds pretty harsh what they said to that guy though!

Anyway, if all else fails you can just become a stripper at the Nintenworld theme park.

#16 Posted by falserelic (5329 posts) -

As long as your doing something positive. Eventually you will find the right path to walk on. Your sexiness will lead the way.

#17 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

Well, you are the ''SexyToad'', you could get a job as a prostitute or something.

You would make a fortune.

#18 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

I am a graphics designer, and its ok, it was hard geting hired. I was looking for a job for about 3 years. I too wanted to work for a game company, but realized that I would eventualy come to hate games.

#19 Posted by kumquat (128 posts) -

Are you artistic? I do graphic art and design (mostly for the web), and I love it.

#20 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

So I haven't had much thought of what I want to do when I'm in college. (I'm in high school) I just know that I want to be doing something with computers. Do any of you duders have jobs with computers? I'm wondering what are your jobs and what do you do. Im also thinking that I might get into designing video games. Does any one have experience in that field? I've been working on a bit of c++ programming. Is that good to study for games? Or should I be learning something else?

As long as you are taking classes that relate to you interests, then you are fine. The only issue comes up is if you don't declare a major by your junior year.

#21 Posted by Phyrlord (171 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

Hey man, I work in IT and am currently working on data projects for an Energy firm. I'll tell you right now.. getting into programing for gaming is a pipe dream. BUT getting into programming and working on software applications ... your going to get somewhere. Good coders are grade A priceless in the software industries. If you follow that path you will get far.