Need Help With My Wireless Internet

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By asurastrike

My wireless has been great for 2 years, but very recently I seem to have lost range or something. My laptop still gets a "Good" signal, but it feel like I am using Dial up. I've reset my router multiple times and nothing helps it.I've even restored my laptop to factory settings. If I'm using my laptop in the room with my router it works great. Why would the range suddenly decrease, and how can I fix it? Thanks. :)

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

Something could be causing interference. Do you have a new cordless phone or something? You can try changing your channel in your router settings which should change the frequency slightly. That would help if you are getting interference from something that happens to use the same frequency. Other than that, I don't know what could cause that. Maybe you could try updating your routers firmware? Anyways, hope you figure it out.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By asurastrike
@JJWeatherman said:
" Something could be causing interference. Do you have a new cordless phone or something? You can try changing your channel in your router settings which should change the frequency slightly. That would help if you are getting interference from something that happens to use the same frequency. Other than that, I don't know what could cause that. Maybe you could try updating your routers firmware? Anyways, hope you figure it out. "
Nothing has changed as far as I know. I'll check if my router needs updating. Thanks.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Asurastrike said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" Something could be causing interference. Do you have a new cordless phone or something? You can try changing your channel in your router settings which should change the frequency slightly. That would help if you are getting interference from something that happens to use the same frequency. Other than that, I don't know what could cause that. Maybe you could try updating your routers firmware? Anyways, hope you figure it out. "
Nothing has changed as far as I know. I'll check if my router needs updating. Thanks. "
You should probably try changing the channel anyways because one of your neighbors next door could have bought a router that is set for the same frequency. It's a pretty simple thing to do so I recommend just testing a few different channels out.
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By asurastrike

lol I fixed it. I put the router on top of a big box and it works. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Qorious

Try to change your wireless channel. Usually it's set to 6 by default. If you're in the US, try channel 1 or 11, they should work better. Or maybe one of your wireless devices is a 802.11b device and it might be slowing down your connection.