Need help with Ruby on Rails

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey GB

I've been teaching myself some ruby on rails using Code Academy. I just finished their online course which went pretty well but I want to get come more coding practice in. Are there any sites that have code dumps of programs I can retype to help make coding using rails easier.

I am not sure if I am working this correctly, but I hope you guys can understand what you're reading and help out

thanks

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What exactly are you trying to learn? Programming? The Ruby language? OOP? MVC?

When I started learning Ruby on Rails I had a work project that aligned perfectly with the MVC paradigm and Ruby on Rails was the hot shit, the best direction to go for active development and community. I'm a million miles away from an expert but it was a fun experience and resulted in a usable and maintainable application in a relatively short period of time.

Personally I only really learn by doing.

1. Hit the guides http://guides.rubyonrails.org/ and start building something. You're already on GB with a fairly well defined API into its vast database. Twitch uses the GB databse and has its own API on top of that as well. Just with that you can tie different but related data sets together.

2. Build an application to do something dumb with the data available. When you hit a block, google and stackexchange your ass off.

3. Build an interface to present that. When you hit a block, google and stackexchange your ass off.

4. When you have something up and working look back on it and realize how horrific the code is. Tear it down and return to 1 with what you've learned.