Need PC Help. Graphics Card Crashing?

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

I've been having a problem lately. Specifically when playing Starcraft 2, everything is fine with other games. Randomly during a match the screen will flicker, then go black. The game then resumes itself, but not long after this always ends up happening to the screen:

No Caption Provided

It just happened a few minutes ago and crashed to a blue screen. I turned the PC back on and it seems to be fine now. I am pretty ignorant when it comes to the actual bits that make a PC run, is this an indicator of some sort of failure? I did a complete virus scan last night and nothing was found, so it's safe to say it isn't anything nasty.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WasabiCurry

It might be possible that it is a hardware issue. Are you overclocking? Did you set it up yourself? If so, might it be possible the PCI-express is not fully connected with the card itself? What kind of card do you have? Have there been know issues about the card on tech forums such as Tom's Hardware? Have other issues happened besides Star Craft II? Is it only with Star Craft II?

So many questions, not enough time. I have to go visit my S.O. today so perhaps others will answer you question.

donfonzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By donfonzie

You mention that the problem only occurs when running starcraft 2 so hopefully its not hardware related. I think updating the drivers for your graphics card would be a good idea.

ThomasG666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ThomasG666

I have recently had problems with one of my RAMs. All the games, except some 2d ones, kept crashing at one point or my pc BSODed.When I found the faulty one,using memtest, I removed it (later replaced) and all my problems were gone.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Aurelito

I don't know, but doesn't seem like the stutters you get when the card is failing. Does the driver crash? If so, it's bad news.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By breadfan

@aurelito: First started noticing the problem last night. When I am not running games everything is perfectly normal. It's just when I play Starcraft that problems arise.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sanity

Make sure your drivers are up to date if there not already, get a temp monitoring program like MSI Afterburner and make sure its not over heating.

donfonzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By donfonzie

@thomasg666 said:

I have recently had problems with one of my RAMs. All the games, except some 2d ones, kept crashing at one point or my pc BSODed.When I found the faulty one,using memtest, I removed it (later replaced) and all my problems were gone.

@sanity said:

Make sure your drivers are up to date if there not already, get a temp monitoring program like MSI Afterburner and make sure its not over heating.

I would try these suggestions as well.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By breadfan

Drivers were up to date and I wasn't getting any overheating notifications from my resource manager. After doing some looking around it appears other people are having the same issue as me, specifically only when it comes to Starcraft.

donfonzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By donfonzie

That is real unfortunate, but i guess upside is that your systems is fine. Good luck with the game.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it might be the fan. i had this problem. updated my drivers still had the problem. i opened up the case to find the fan was barely spinning.