Need some Advice on Job situation

Paindamnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Paindamnation

So I haven't made any forum posts in awhile, been busy getting laid off. I just got offered two jobs, I'm an IT tech and one job is a call center for a school support company called Ellucian doing their tech support. The other is a job with Orange County Information Systems and Security, doing the Help Desk for my county. The first job when I got laid off, which was Tuesday before July 4th, was my only option. I put my resume out there and immediately got a call, passed the test and was done on Thursday. Monday comes around and another place calls me and wants me to interview tomorrow. Which is the same date as the other interview. So I go to both interviews, and the first one offers me the position, [These are both through IT staffing firms, competing ones at that). So I told the call center to hold till Monday because I have some stuff to take care of, so their expecting me Monday morning to fill the paper work for the job. Now the one I want more, the second one, called me back today saying I have the job. The kicker is the Orange County job I have to go through a drug test(clean) background(clean) and polygraph test all before I can accept the job. Their both contract jobs anyway, but when you work with the county it's how they do things. My question after all that information is, what do I tell the first job? Though I'm 99% sure I will pass all the hoops, shouldn't I have something to fall back on? The first job(Call center) starts on 23rd. The second (County job) starts once I pass all three tests. I was thinking of calling the first Staffing Firm and saying thank you for your consideration but I got offered a job where I can have more growth, but I have to pass a few tests to do it, but if I miss even one of them I don't get it. I don't want to burn any bridges but I've never had this problem of two competing jobs. I know it's a long story short post, and not trying to spam, just kinda in a weird situation, and not sure how to proceed. Any advice would be great. Thanks Duders(ettes).

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Ben_H  Online

I had the same thing come up when I was looking for a summer job a couple months back. Got 2 offers, the second one was much better. I just told the first place that I found a job that was a better fit for me and thank you for the consideration.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Karkarov

Do the three tests. If it all works out take the county job.

Regardless be honest with job one. Thank them for their time and showing interest in you as an employee and let them know you are turning them down because another employer offered you a job that has a bit better pay/benefits/whatever and you have decided to take their offer. This stuff happens, if they are professional at all they will simply say "thanks for letting us know and good luck with your new position" and move to the next candidate.

Make sure you actually have the other job before you tell job one to take a walk though.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Tell the first agency you've been offered a job with better pay and better potential for longer term growth (regardless of whether that is true or not).

Worst case, they'll accept that. Best case, they'll offer you more cash and give you something new to worry about.

It's a positive situation for you either way. Also dude, I understand the concern, especially as the job market in the US isn't great from what I understand, but getting two contacts that fast means that even in the worst case, you're obviously looking pretty employable and will get other opportunities.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BraveToaster

You won't burn bridges as long as you maintain professionalism when you contact the first job offer. You don't have to lie, just politely turn them down and everything will be fine.

Paindamnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Paindamnation

My only thing is. I'm pretty sure I will pass the tests to work for the county, but just in case I wanted to have the second to fall back on. Or worst case I have instant un-employment because of being laid off, not by my own doing but by financial restructuring at the place I worked. I never knew anybody to just tell another place in the best words."I have a better place to go, but incase it doesn't work out can I come back." Never had to do that before. However for both positions I was the company's first choice both staffing places told me. In addition yes, the county job is better pay and more benefits.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Toxeia

I'm curious, you said the jobs were found through staffing firms? So did you interview with the company you will be performing work for, or did you interview with the firm that is finding you the job?

If it's the former, just be polite and courteous and let them know up front you've been offered another job (contingent on a few hoops) that would offer better pay. Thank them for the opportunity to talk with them. Worst case scenario, they let you walk out the door. They might try to ante up if they think that you're worth adding to the company.

If it's the firm you'd be informing about the second job... that's tougher. It's their job to find people to fill positions in companies, and you'll more than likely burn bridges with them if they tell them you've found another job. I'd still like to say that honesty is the best policy here, but I'm aware of how self-serving those employment firms can be.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By KaosAngel

Join the military, it's not that bad.

Paindamnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Paindamnation

@Toxeia said:

I'm curious, you said the jobs were found through staffing firms? So did you interview with the company you will be performing work for, or did you interview with the firm that is finding you the job?

If it's the former, just be polite and courteous and let them know up front you've been offered another job (contingent on a few hoops) that would offer better pay. Thank them for the opportunity to talk with them. Worst case scenario, they let you walk out the door. They might try to ante up if they think that you're worth adding to the company.

If it's the firm you'd be informing about the second job... that's tougher. It's their job to find people to fill positions in companies, and you'll more than likely burn bridges with them if they tell them you've found another job. I'd still like to say that honesty is the best policy here, but I'm aware of how self-serving those employment firms can be.

I interviewed at both places that I will be working for.