Need some help please! (Computer/internet related)

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Sambambo

Hello,

So basically my internet its messing up. On most pages it says page cannot be displayed. Its not a virus because I wiped my harddrive and it is now playing up when I try to use my iphone on the wi fi. 

The message is:

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at en-gb.start3.mozilla.com.

*   Check the address for typing errors such as
          ww.example.com instead of
          www.example.com
(It is not this)

*   If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
          connection.
(Plays up on other things aswell as PC and some pages work)

*   If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
          that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
(Im on it now so...)

Anyone got any solutions?  (It is like this on all internet viewing applications)

Thanks in advance.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

How are you accessing Giant Bomb right now?  On a different device?

Basically it sounds like either your ISP, your router, or your PC can't get DNS (domain name server) entries for some reason.

In windows, could you run a tracert to www.google.com and tell me what it says?  Go to start menu, 'run', type 'cmd', you'll get a command prompt, type tracert www.google.com.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sambambo

Thanks for replying

Im on my pc at the moment (Giantbomb is pretty much the only website that works)

It says "Unable to resolve target system name www.google.com"

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Gav47

Reset your router and then go its portal (192.168.11.1, or some thing like that) and check the status page to see if its connected.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By sjschmidt93

Is "offline mode" or whatever checked? Just try unplugging your ethernet cable from your router, wait about a minute and plug it back in.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Diamond
@SuperSambo said:

OK, that definitely sounds like a DNS issue of some kind.

Do you have multiple devices that can access the net through your router?  Does the iPhone work at all when using wifi through your router?  Can your 360 go onto Live.  if these other devices work we can narrow it down to your PC.   Have you tried resetting your computer?  You risk losing access to GB to troubleshoot it, but it may resolve your problem too.

Otherwise, I'd suggest checking your router, as Gav47 says.  Reset the router for sure.  The HTML put up by your router will change drastically from router to router, I access my router at 192.168.1.1, which is probably the most common.

It's odd that you can access Giant Bomb though, but I can think of some explanations, but I'm not sure what you should do about getting past this problem.
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sambambo

Sorry, took ages for me to get here, even this has stopped working!

@SJSchmidt93 said:

" Is "offline mode" or whatever checked? Just try unplugging your ethernet cable from your router, wait about a minute and plug it back in. "

Offline isnt checked and tried the reseting of router. Thanks anyway.

@Gav47 said:
" Reset your router and then go its portal (192.168.11.1, or some thing like that) and check the status page to see if its connected. "
It has a load of numbers and and different sub catorgories. Is there anything I should be looking for?

(sorry im a console gamer and only use computer for internet and not much else so I no idea what a lot of the stuff means.)
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sambambo
@Diamond said:
" @SuperSambo said:

OK, that definitely sounds like a DNS issue of some kind.  Do you have multiple devices that can access the net through your router?  Does the iPhone work at all when using wifi through your router?  Can your 360 go onto Live.  if these other devices work we can narrow it down to your PC.   Have you tried resetting your computer?  You risk losing access to GB to troubleshoot it, but it may resolve your problem too.Otherwise, I'd suggest checking your router, as Gav47 says.  Reset the router for sure.  The HTML put up by your router will change drastically from router to router, I access my router at 192.168.1.1, which is probably the most common.  It's odd that you can access Giant Bomb though, but I can think of some explanations, but I'm not sure what you should do about getting past this problem. "
The iphone seems hit and miss. Some do and some dont.

The 360 just signed into live.

Ive just reset my computer and Giantbomb is still the only one working.

Ive reset the router and  your code worked. 

(sorry about the list, just making sure i answer everything)

And again, thanks for the help.
Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Gav47

Looks at these pics and see if you recognise anything, it maybe the case that your isp is having trouble so you might just have to wait it out.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Diamond
@SuperSambo said:

Hmm, it's very odd.  I doubt you got a virus or trojan that only allows access to GiantBomb.  Try 64.233.169.99, that's google's IP address.  It might help you if you can do searches using that IP as well.

Here's a sticker, try going to www.live.com, which you should be able to access on your PC if your 360 can connect to Live.  If not it's gotta be a problem isolated to your PC.

edit - OH one more thing, did you JUST reformat?  It could be your internet connection settings are wrong.  You should set your DNS server in Windows to the same IP you can access your router on.
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sambambo
@Diamond said:

" @SuperSambo said:

Hmm, it's very odd.  I doubt you got a virus or trojan that only allows access to GiantBomb.  Try 64.233.169.99, that's google's IP address.  It might help you if you can do searches using that IP as well.  Here's a sticker, try going to www.live.com, which you should be able to access on your PC if your 360 can connect to Live.  If not it's gotta be a problem isolated to your PC.  edit - OH one more thing, did you JUST reformat?  It could be your internet connection settings are wrong.  You should set your DNS server in Windows to the same IP you can access your router on. "
  64.233.169.99 works, however no seaches do. 

www.live.com (sends me to www.bing.com) works and I can do seaches, just none of the links work :(

I reformated because I though I had a virus. (It was like this before reformat.) And sorry Im not sure how to do the last bit.@Gav47 said:

"

Looks at these pics and see if you recognise anything, it maybe the case that your isp is having trouble so you might just have to wait it out. "

Sorry none of that looks similar to mine. Under the Wlan section for me it says 

WAN Information

IP Address:
IP Subnet Mask:(was different to the ip address is that normal?)
Default Gateway:ISP
VPI/VCI: (will say number if its important, just blanked out incase it is bad to say...)
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sambambo

Oh and my internet provider seems to be having no problems as I bing'd it (supanet) and couldent see any recent problems in the bio area.

webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By webby
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sambambo
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sambambo

Oh wait, I tried the other links, they all work however they're all text based

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Diamond
@SuperSambo said:

I reformated because I though I had a virus. (It was like this before reformat.) And sorry Im not sure how to do the last bit.

OK, since you got www.live.com to work that's not important.  Basically you're getting some of the DNS entries and not others.  Not to send you away, but there are definitely pools of better people when it comes to this sort of stuff.  Try going to  http://www.broadbandreports.com  I can't think of a better forum for a problem like this.  Maybe someone else can help you here, but I don't think I can.

Still I'd say either your ISP's DNS servers aren't quite right, your router might be sending DNS in some messed up way (hacked to use a 3rd party DNS server provided by a hacker is an outside possibility).  If your iPhone is failing on the same sites your PC is, then I'd guess it's not a problem on your PC, at this point.
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sambambo

Thank you for all the help diamond. I am really grateful.

I clicked on that link and it worked, so I checked my favourites work aswell as some random searches and they work to!

I am very confused right now, however I have bookmarked the website incase it messes up again.

If i plug in a new router (will have to buy one) would the hackers (if it had been hacked) have control over that one or would they have to try again?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Diamond
@SuperSambo said:
If i plug in a new router (will have to buy one) would the hackers (if it had been hacked) have control over that one or would they have to try again? "
I don't know if you want to go that far yet.  Just because you had a virus doesn't mean you were personally hacked, and I only suggest the router thing because it's possible but extremely unlikely.  Basically if a hacker compromised your PC, they could change settings on your router to redirect your internet access.  However, this is something you could fix yourself just by becoming familiar with your router settings.  Resetting settings on your router would probably work too, just don't lose any important settings you have set yourself.

I wouldn't worry about your router too much.  Just access at 192.168.1.1, don't change anything right away but see what you can find, especially anything related to DNS.  Depending on your ISP it probably assigns a DNS server automatically, and you shouldn't mess with that.  My router has an additional setting for 3rd party DNS servers though. 

Hopefully this whole problem was just something to do with your ISP and they're fixing it now.
timay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By timay

Are you running windows xp or vista? Do you have an antivirus installed?  This is definitely a dns problem.  Is the iphone connecting using wifi or 3g? if its wifi the problem is probably not with the router but might still be worth connected the pc without the router involved.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Ben_H

When I get that I disconnect the router, then the modem, leave it for 10 seconds, the reconnect the modem then the router.  I get what you described once every few days and doing the disconnect thingy works every time.