#1 Posted by GJSmitty (651 posts) -

Hey guys, I am in the need of some help. Recently, I upgraded the CPU and Motherboard of my PC, which made me have to reinstall windows. I entered the product key and thought everything was fine. But then, when Windows was installed, a message popped up, telling me that the key I had entered was not valid. I tried entering it again, but with no success. This leaves me with one option; to buy Windows again.

But I have some questions. I noticed this upgrade pack that is cheaper than buying Home Premium again and gives me Professional. Would that work? I ask this because I do not want to spend 85 dollars only to have it pop up saying "Sorry, that key is not valid" or something along those lines.

Thanks in advance for you help!

#2 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

Was it your old product key? If so, because you changed your motherboard and cpu, they probably think you're trying to install a one-PC copy of Windows on multiple computers. I've never had the issue so I don't know a way around this. I'm also not sure they'll let you upgrade an 'illegitimate' copy of windows, even if you pay for it. Basically this comment is useless. Sorry.

#3 Posted by TruthTellah (9081 posts) -

You should contact Microsoft and let them know that since you updated components of your computer, it is no longer accepting your product key. Meaning, it thinks you're trying to install windows on another computer. They may be able to help you out with this.

Outside of that, to successfully upgrade to Professional from Home Premium, you would need a working Home Premium key; so, if the Home Premium key that you are currently using has issues, you should not be able to just buy an upgrade to Professional. I would contact Microsoft, explain the situation, and provide them any documentation of purchase of the original license that you have.

#4 Edited by TruthTellah (9081 posts) -

You should contact Microsoft and let them know that since you updated components of your computer, it is no longer accepting your product key. Meaning, it thinks you're trying to install windows on another computer. They may be able to help you out with this. This happens all the time.

Outside of that, to successfully upgrade to Professional from Home Premium, you would need a working Home Premium key; so, if the Home Premium key that you are currently using has issues, you should not be able to just buy an upgrade to Professional. I would contact Microsoft, explain the situation, and provide them any documentation of purchase of the original license that you have.

#5 Posted by Baillie (4171 posts) -

@GJSmitty: You know, when I used Windows, I used to get this message, there's actually a phone number it gives you somewhere, dig into it I forget where, that you can phone to activate Windows that way. Use that, it always works.

#6 Posted by GJSmitty (651 posts) -

I just checked, and the version I got awhile ago was the OEM System Builder Pack, which, if I remember correctly, is meant to only be used on one motherboard. That was stupid of me to forget that.

So should I still contact Microsoft? I downloaded the Windows 7 upgrade adviser, and it says that I can purchase the Anytime Upgrade.

#7 Posted by myketuna (1697 posts) -

Do what everyone has said. Call and let them know your computer has been upgraded with a new motherboard and stuff. They'll activate it for you and that'll be that. If it was for some reason not valid to begin with, then you'll have to buy Windows anyway. As far as upgrading, you do need to have a valid Windows key before you install the upgrade versions or else they end up not activating either (they'll think you're trying to use them as non-upgrade disks and refuse to validate).

#8 Posted by Lemonhead (61 posts) -

OEM versions of Windows are sold with a computer and is quite a deal cheaper than a full-blown ("retail") version of Windows. The downside of this, is that it's only valid for one computer. If you buy a new computer, you have to buy a new Windows. Unfortunately for you, Microsoft defines a new computer as a new motherboard, so I suspect that is why your used OEM license won't register again on your new hardware.

But like others have mentioned, give them a call and explain the situation, but if your code indeed turns out to be an OEM code, I'm afraid it's "working as intended".

#9 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

If its an OEM i'm afraid its one per motherboard so you'll want to contact microsoft and see what they have to say on this and if you can't get it to work, get another oem of Windows and use that.

#10 Posted by GJSmitty (651 posts) -

@Brunchies: Well do you think the anytime upgrade will still work?

#11 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

@GJSmitty said:

@Brunchies: Well do you think the anytime upgrade will still work?

I'm honestly not sure, I haven't ran into a situation like this before since I have a friend who has a Unlimited install box of windows 7 so I never worry about OEMs. Sorry I can't be any help, whenever people run into these kinds of problems they usually always resort to piracy and I don't want to suggest that.