Neil Blomkamp is making a new movie

• 63 results
Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

Its called Chappie and is it just me that it looks like a Short Circut remake?

Also Sharlto Copley is doing motion capture for the robot and It looks way better than Elysium which was really dissapointing

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Oh, this is that nightmare with Die Antwoord in it.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@shindig: I thought that was who they were. I hope they can act...

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably, seeing as their entire career has been one. So this is another film about South Africa, then. You've done that, Neil.

JeremyKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Elysium was suuuuuuper disappointing. At least this looks terrible right out of the gate.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the kind of movie I want him to do.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeremyko: so was District 9 for that matter. Promising as all fuck, but definitely a letdown.

Can't he just direct other people's stuff?

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

seems like the right place to share this story. Coworker/friend of mine played enough Die Antwoord around me to get me to go from ironic to real appreciation. So I texted him "Here's two reasons you can go fuck yourself, first you got me into Die Antwoord, second, I just figured out their stupid name." Only instead of my friend it went to my District Manager.

Luckily he is a cool guy who sent back "What? :( " and then joked about it to the entire district......

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NTM

Him making this movie isn't really news, it's been out there for some time now, though I haven't seen the trailer. At first, I really liked District 9, though after more than one or two viewings it wasn't as great, and Elysium, while looking great, didn't really impress me. Too bad he didn't do anything with Halo.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Corevi

Chappie looks like Briareos from Appleseed.

It's the ears.
It's the ears.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanna see the years leading up to this, where guy from Slumdog Millionaire is just building sex bot after sex bot after sex bot.

HassaniSabbah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:

So this is another film about South Africa, then. You've done that, Neil.

So this is another film about New York then. You've done that, Scorsese.

Please, teach me how to be so fuuuuuucking jaded.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By TheHT

Looks like he's making Tetra Vaal into a full movie, like he made Alive in Joburg into Disctrict 9. Great!

Elysium was kinda terrible, but District 9 is still fantastic. Watched it again recently.

JeremyKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: Elysium was only disappointing because of how much I enjoyed district 9.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Shindig

@shindig said:

Okay. For this recipe you will require:

1 Unsatisying job, a loveless relationship, a general numbness to everything.

Proceed to mix all in a bowl and simmer for the rest of your life. Serves one.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed Elysium.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Isn't that girl in the trailer from a really weird South African musical group or something?

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Elysium was okay at best, but I really enjoy District 9. So maybe I'll see this too?

The best thing he made is still Halo: Landfall in my opinion.

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By laserguy

What was that? They should call the movie Sappy. What a shitty trailer. Blomkamp is quickly becoming M. Night. He's wasted potential.

Does the robot go crazy? Cause that looks like Short Circuit and Frankenstien.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Wait people didn't like District 9? Huh, I thought a vast majority at least enjoyed the movie, the premise and opening half hour were fantastic. Never saw Elysium, seemed aight but never got around to checking it out.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So all his movies seem to look exactly the same. You'd think he would try something a little different, he makes decent movies, but seriously try something new.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By turboman

Boy, the people from Die Antwoord are super distracting to me. Like, I can't imagine them as being somebody else other than those two crazy fucks from Die Antwoord. Really weird choice for them to be in this.

Loading Video...

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked District 9 a lot, and Elysium was just ok, as it's really heavy-handed with it's story and morals. I think it's cool he's continue to use the very slim and angular designs for machines he's used in the past, but I really hope it's not more of the same in terms of location and trying to do an allegory to real life, not to mention we've had so many films about sentient AI and what the dangers of that I feel it will be retreading old ground.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not to mention we've had so many films about sentient AI and what the dangers of that I feel it will be retreading old ground.

This seems to be more about the good things a sentient AI can do rather than the dangers.

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:
@eternalvigil said:

not to mention we've had so many films about sentient AI and what the dangers of that I feel it will be retreading old ground.

This seems to be more about the good things a sentient AI can do rather than the dangers.

True, but we've had plenty of those as well. A.I. and I, Robot for example.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neil Blomkamp was also watching the Sony e3 press conference and thought it was time for a live action Vib-Ribbon film.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I dunno why everyone hated Elysium so much. Apart from the paper thin plot I really enjoyed the setting and all the special effect. In fact I enjoy the world that Blomkamp crafts so much I was able to blissfully ignore the plotholes and enjoy watching Matt Damon straight up murder people with laser beams and shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

So all his movies seem to look exactly the same. You'd think he would try something a little different, he makes decent movies, but seriously try something new.

I'd have way more of a problem with this if his style wasn't so particular.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@humanity said:

I dunno why everyone hated Elysium so much. Apart from the paper thin plot I really enjoyed the setting and all the special effect. In fact I enjoy the world that Blomkamp crafts so much I was able to blissfully ignore the plotholes and enjoy watching Matt Damon straight up murder people with laser beams and shit.

It was a really good movie, apart from the headache inducing shaky cam for every damn action scene.

This film looks pretty damn good though.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks cool, but I'm still waiting for my District 9 sequel goddammit.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@turtlebird95 said:

Looks cool, but I'm still waiting for my District 9 sequel goddammit.

He promised that he'll be back in three years. THREE YEARS! It's been nearly six. Fookin Prahns.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

The trailer is more intriguing to me than Elysium so it could be alright. I like it when his films take the sci fi and bring it to modern sensibilities and see how it clashes. That's his most intriguing strength.

Despite the fact that it seems to be about racism again I think it will still work. Maybe a little dulled edge being that he already did District 9, but I am still much more interested in this than I was Elysium (which seemed like Halo without the Halo franchise just from the trailers- no I haven't seen it).

I don't know. I'm kind of a sucker for these kinds of stories.

What's with the guy that's trying to look like Guile? haha

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm gonna continue to feel good about liking Elysium.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like how everyone is dismissive out of the gate, I quite like the fact there isn't much shown, something more trailers need to do.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@deranged said:

@humanity said:

It was a really good movie, apart from the headache inducing shaky cam for every damn action scene.

This film looks pretty damn good though.

The shaky cam is sort of a director trademark for him isn't it? Either way this looks interesting although I will agree the subject matter is a bit tired. Hopefully it's better than Automata cause oooh boy, that had all sorts of potential for the first 20-30 minutes before the rather violent downward spiral in the second act.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LiquidPrince

I haven't enjoyed any of his movies, so I don't really care for this one based on just that trailer. But I have a friend who really liked District 9, so he'll probably be stoked.

DirkGently

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally a sequel to District 9: An Elysium Tail :)

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#40  Edited By impartialgecko

I enjoyed District 9 but I feel it was because of how specific the allegory presented by that story was. There was a confidence and deft touch to how those ideas about the what is going on in South Africa were handled and I imagine that was due his intimate familiarity the issues. Of course he directs CGI in a way that makes it feel real and he's a competent action director but that wasn't enough to make Elysium anything than a bloated allegory for the American healthcare system. I don't think Blomkamp's heavy-handed method of treating current issues within the realm of sci-fi works in every situation, so when I see yet another movie about the little A.I. that could I can't help thinking he's not the right guy for the job. Give him a straight-ahead action movie with a budget instead of this succession of sloppy statements about socio-economic problems.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jesus_Phish

His movies always look great visually I think but the stories often come up a bit weak.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By thomasnash

So someone please correct me if they know something that I don't, but is there an assumption that it's going to be a political allegory about racism because that's basically what he's done before? Is there more evidence for that than just his last two films?

To me I get more of a sense that this is going to be about the ways in which negativity in our environment has negative effects on our personality, and how it can be a struggle to not let it get to you.

Admittedly Jackman's character does seem to be presented as a typical bigoted bad character, but Blomkamp doesn't seem like someone who can totally leave behind narrative conventions (or doesn't want to jettison traditional structures at the risk of reducing the commercial appeal). That tension certainly seemed to be there in District 9.

So I'm not saying I'm definitely right, but I do think what I saw in that trailer does suggest as much potential for it to be a quite Universal, philosophical and humane film as a stretched political allegory. I hope that's the case, because it could indicate a step up for his career, moving beyond the SFX-artistry-meets-b-movie-sci-fi of his previous films and applying that to meatier stories with real heft to them.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know that I can take more shaky cam.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By erhard

Neill Blomkamp is a one-note filmmaker who uses the medium as a veneer for his own politics. Die Antwoord is cool though.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ZolRoyce

The people from Die Antwoord explaining what a black sheep is? Seems about right.

They've actually had a couple of refrences to Neil in their videos, so it's pretty cool they have now come around to being in one of his movies, plus they are big into doing skits before/after/during their videos in which their acting has always seemed good, they've always been weird enough to pull off whatever crazy crap they were doing anyways.

No Caption Provided

And I forget which video it was but there was another with a picture that (paraphrasing) said "The History of Africa, Mandela, Neil, Die Antwoord"

DasBoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like this movie is going to give me flashbacks to being traumatized by Short Circuit 2 as a kid.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:

@hassanisabbah said:

@shindig said:

Okay. For this recipe you will require:

1 Unsatisying job, a loveless relationship, a general numbness to everything.

Proceed to mix all in a bowl and simmer for the rest of your life. Serves one.

I like this alot.

Avatar image for indiana_jenkins
indiana_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had heard they were going to feature in his next movie, but I didn't really expect Neil to give Die Antwoord such prominent roles. I hope they're up to the task.

Elysium was my first ever IMAX movie, which probably explains why I think that movie is fucking awesome.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh. Well...huh.

I kind of wish a similar amount of money would be given to a full-length Keloid movie honestly.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Back in February articles were doing the rounds that suggested Ninja was cut heavily from the film because he was a giant arsehole who was trying to direct things himself. But then when your name's Watkin Tudor Jones and you've been many, many different acts through the years, its hard to see it as anything other than a pisstake.

Although the apparent story where he gave Dev Patel a 'space cake' to ingest was hilarious.