#1 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Remember when Neil Blomkamp was supposed to make a Halo movie - and then it all fell apart? Well - apparently they've taken the parts, and put them back together as...

While I wonder why they don't slap some decent armor plating on that exo-skeletton, which is the whole point of such a thing (unless you're a packmule of sorts) - in the end I don't give a hoot! If District 9 is any indication on how awesome Elysium will be, then we're in for a treat.

#2 Edited by MikkaQ (10319 posts) -

I thought that was what District 9 was. Anyway, this guy is a director with some really interesting ideas, I just really can't stand his dependence on CGI especially now that he can probably afford more practical effects with his budget. This looks pretty neat though, I tend to watch most anything with Matt Damon in it.

#3 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4855 posts) -

@mikkaq said:

I thought that was what District 9 was. Anyway, this guy is a director with some really interesting ideas, I just really can't stand his dependence on CGI especially now that he can probably afford more practical effects with his budget. This looks pretty neat though, I tend to watch most anything with Matt Damon in it.

While it's not all that hard to spot I came away from District 9 feeling like they did a great job integrating the CGI into the world. The spaceships/aliens/mechs/weirdness looked like it belonged there and it wasn't obvious. Elysium looks to be the same way, in my opinion.

Although as @seppli said, that exoskeleton really could use some armour plating. It looks kinda dumb without it.

#4 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4423 posts) -

Looks cool, I'll check it out.

#5 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

Am I the only one who thought that gun said "Chemtrails" on it?

#6 Edited by djou (877 posts) -

I think the exoskeleton is supposed to be utilitarian like the Alien power loader, that's why it doesn't have armor. Seems like they are reusing it for combat instead of freight loading. This would explain why Matt Damon is using it to psychically flip a car like a badass.

#7 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

Also I think the exoskeleton fits the whole "Earth is a dumpster now". It definitely looks like it's literally been put together with a box of scraps, and is reminiscent of the exoskeleton Whiplash used in Iron Man 2.

#8 Posted by fetchfox (1298 posts) -

This looks really cool, another sci-fi to look forward to this year. District 9 was very enjoyable, so I hope this comes out good.

#9 Edited by psylah (2181 posts) -

The social stratification / 99% / occupy thing seems like it missed its mark by a few years, even though its still an issue. It just seems late to the party.

Understandable when it takes a long time to polish a heavy-CGI movie, though.

#10 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2033 posts) -

Movie looks cool but that "Good day madam" line at the start was so horribly delivered it was almost funny.

#11 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Where did this come from, this looks fucking awesome!

Future Bugatti at 1:58 =)

#12 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3908 posts) -

Been a fan of this guy since I saw Alive In Joburg on the you tubes. District 9 was super good can't wait for this one. I love the visual style he uses for all his future doodads.

#13 Posted by Chaser324 (6661 posts) -
@psylah said:

The social stratification / 99% / occupy thing seems like it missed its mark by a few years, even though its still an issue. It just seems late to the party.

I think that's just the sort of story that appeals to Blomkamp. The trailer gives me the impression that this is going to be pretty thematically similar to District 9, which was a pretty interesting take on South Africa's apartheid.

Definitely looking forward to seeing this.

#14 Posted by MikkaQ (10319 posts) -

@mikkaq said:

While it's not all that hard to spot I came away from District 9 feeling like they did a great job integrating the CGI into the world. The spaceships/aliens/mechs/weirdness looked like it belonged there and it wasn't obvious. Elysium looks to be the same way, in my opinion.

Although as @seppli said, that exoskeleton really could use some armour plating. It looks kinda dumb without it.

I think he does it better than any other director and it is really commendable what he has done with the technology, and maybe this is be a generational thing I'll never get over, or I've just seen too much of the sausage get made at various jobs and internships, but almost anytime I see CG in a movie that isn't just an enhancement of the background image, my mind screams fake and I'm taken out of the experience.

#15 Edited by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@psylah said:

There isn't a facepalm.gif powerful enough to express my reaction to your post.

#16 Posted by MarekkPie (72 posts) -

Glad Sharlto Copley is getting more work. He was fantastic in District 9.

#18 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5823 posts) -

The first thing I noticed in the trailer was that Elysium itself looks like the Halo ring. I'm looking forward to it. I loved District 9.

#19 Edited by Liquidus (946 posts) -

Well District 9 was pretty good and this looks like my kind of sci-fi, really looking forward to it.

#20 Edited by RenegadeDoppelganger (414 posts) -

what is the exoskeleton thing and why does it allow Matt Damon to take on... well.. whoever is guarding elysium (robots?)

#21 Posted by HitzFrumaBong (1 posts) -

@seppli: So.....this is what Halo could have been, just stripped and mangled. While it looks to be well produced and all, I'd have preferred follow-through with Halo.....How it was a failure is beyond me.

#22 Edited by Brendan (7846 posts) -

It worries me that the first reviews haven't been entirely praiseworthy, since scores on Rottentomatoes tend to start higher and get lower. I'm still possibly interested in seeing it for myself though.

#23 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3599 posts) -

Matt Damon looks like a shorter version of Kane.

#24 Posted by CreepyUncleBrad (173 posts) -

@psylah said:

Class warfare is as old as society. I see what your saying but it isn't like rich people being dicks and poor people blowing them up is a new idea.

#25 Posted by erhard (423 posts) -

@psylah said:

Class warfare is as old as society. I see what your saying but it isn't like rich people being dicks and poor people blowing them up is a new idea.

"Blomkamp sets the dystopian juices flowing with images of future sprawling slums and urban ruin that one might initially take to be Mexico City or Sao Paulo but that are soon identified as belonging to Los Angeles in 2154. Most of the beleaguered inhabitants seem to speak Spanish and do menial labor if they do anything at all, while good health care is very difficult to come by. By contrast, hovering far above Earth and appearing like a five-spoked wheel in the sky is Elysium, an enormous space station where the rich live in a stress-free country club environment enhanced by marvelous technology that can cure any ailment, meaning that life can theoretically go on indefinitely."

Sounds like they could have set it in Los Angeles in 2013 instead. Doesn't Matt Damon live in Hollywood?