#1 Posted by niyoko (48 posts) -

I just watched the trailer for the new show Cosmos: A Space Time Oddessy, and Neil deGrasse Tyson should and needs to be in a Mass Effect game. In the trailer, particularly from 1:36 min on ward, he looks like the Elusive Man.

I can see him as some oracle parked in an outpost poised at the edge of a black hole's event horizon. You pull up in the Normandy with Joker at the helm. You select your squad and make your way into the station to listen to Neil deGrasse talk science, the universe, and death by black holes.

#2 Posted by MonetaryDread (2070 posts) -

Damn, a new Cosmos is coming out? If there is anyone I can trust to take over the job from Carl Sagan it's Neil Degrasse Tyson.

#3 Edited by MB (12714 posts) -

Seems intentional.

#4 Posted by RonGalaxy (3221 posts) -

Pretty sure the whole standing/sitting in front of a sun/planet thing isnt new or something Mass Effect created. I could be wrong, but I recall seeing it elsewhere before mass effect 2. Cant for life of me remember what it was though.

#5 Edited by dobschutz (57 posts) -

Carl Sagan did drugs so he's better but Tyson is dope too. If anyone wants to hear a sillier side listen to the JRE podcast with Mr. Tyson http://youtu.be/ZpHh_TU2kcI

#6 Edited by guanophobic (317 posts) -

@monetarydread said:

Damn, a new Cosmos is coming out? If there is anyone I can trust to take over the job from Carl Sagan it's Neil Degrasse Tyson.

I can get behind this.

Would also love to see him, Michio Kaku and possibly Stephen Hawking make a TV-series together.

#7 Posted by BisonHero (6674 posts) -

Carl Sagan REMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIX!

#8 Edited by Chaser324 (6649 posts) -

I can see where you're coming from with the Illusive Man comparisons, but it mostly just seems pretty consistent with the original Cosmos where Carl Sagan was cruising through the universe in his little one man space ship.

I'm pretty hyped to check this out.

#9 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2188 posts) -

It's going to be hard for me to support something produced by that asshole, Seth MacFarlane.

#10 Posted by RonGalaxy (3221 posts) -

It's going to be hard for me to support something produced by that asshole, Seth MacFarlane.

Why is seth macfarlane an asshole? Im not disputing your claim, I just never knew people hated him that much, besides his shitty tv shows.

#11 Posted by crithon (3322 posts) -

tree of life was really influential

#12 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2188 posts) -

@naru_joe93: I mean, he's not a child molestor like Woody Allen, or anything truly despicable. I just don't like his brand of comedy or his uber-smug attitude. I'll still end up watching the show, though.

#13 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4848 posts) -

It's Illusive Man.

#14 Posted by guiseppe (2842 posts) -

God damnit, I love Neil.

#15 Edited by laserguy (445 posts) -

It looks just as cheesy and fantastic as the original. Now if youll excuse me I am going to bake a pie.

#16 Edited by RonGalaxy (3221 posts) -

@dallas_raines said:

@naru_joe93: I mean, he's not a child molestor like Woody Allen, or anything truly despicable. I just don't like his brand of comedy or his uber-smug attitude. I'll still end up watching the show, though.

I'd hate to get into an argument about this again, but oh well..

Being so definitive about something so rooted in rumor is a dangerous attitude to have. Do you know Woody Allen? Do you know the underlining circumstances of that sequence of events? Just because he was accused doesn't make it a fact that he molested someone. Him denying it doesn't make his side fact either, but he wasn't convicted, so he remains innocent.

I recommend watching the film The Hunt (which is on netflix instant), which discusses how rumor turning into blind facts can be extremely dangerous. It's how the witch hunts were started. It's affected a lot of innocent people.

And I'm not saying he didn't do it, just that forming a definite opinion based on speculation wont help anyone. In most circumstances it hurts more people.

#17 Posted by TruthTellah (9308 posts) -

This seems to fit with the original Cosmos, and I really like Neil deGrasse Tyson. So, I hope this is good.

Carl Sagan in the original series would often be shown standing before a grand window in a ship, looking out at astral phenomena. Looking down at a planet or off at a supernova. It's sort of a fun way to portray the place of an observer in the universe.

#18 Edited by Regal (434 posts) -

@naru_joe93 said:

@dallas_raines said:

I'd hate to get into an argument about this again, but oh well..

Being so definitive about something so rooted in rumor is a dangerous attitude to have. Do you know Woody Allen? Do you know the underlining circumstances of that sequence of events? Just because he was accused doesn't make it a fact that he molested someone. Him denying it doesn't make his side fact either, but he wasn't convicted, so he remains innocent.

I recommend watching the film The Hunt (which is on netflix instant), which discusses how rumor turning into blind facts can be extremely dangerous. It's how the witch hunts were started. It's affected a lot of innocent people.

And I'm not saying he didn't do it, just that forming a definite opinion based on speculation wont help anyone. In most circumstances it hurts more people.

I assume The Hunt is the same film as 'Jagten', the danish film with Mads Mikkelsen? I honestly think this is one of the most disturbing films I've ever seen.

No crime has been committed and this man is being prosecuted and ostracised, yet as the viewer you sympathise both with the prosecutor and the prosecuted at the same time.

The kindergarten women acted really in the only way she could based on what she knew, as did the child psychiatrist, as did the parents. How could they risk their children being cared for by someone reasonably suspected for pedofilia. There was just one way for it all to unfold from the beginning and there was no escaping it once it started.

You obviously empathise most with the protagonist whose life won't ever be the same, but even I thought it almost inappropriate when he and the girl stood talking alone towards the end of the movie as did my friend, and we had just seen all as it happened.

Very thought provoking film though I know not what conclusions to draw from it if any, and it's been sort of politically controversial for those reasons.

#19 Posted by HistoryInRust (6334 posts) -
#20 Edited by Athadam (697 posts) -

That one bit at around 1:36 does seem awfully familiar...

#21 Edited by Brodehouse (10072 posts) -

@dallas_raines: Woody Allen never molested children. His adopted daughter was an adult when they began their relationship.

#22 Posted by Dixavd (1359 posts) -

I don't care about this (just clicked because I like Mass Effect), but I want to point out something I hate in the thumbnail of that video: why is there this thing of taking titles for things and then spacing out the letters evenly across the screen so there are huge gaps between them (in this case, even bigger than the letters themselves). The kerning just pisses me off.

That is all.

#23 Posted by csl316 (8953 posts) -
#24 Posted by BBAlpert (1526 posts) -
#25 Posted by Korwin (2890 posts) -

It's Illusive.

#26 Edited by RonGalaxy (3221 posts) -

@regal: Spoiler blocking all of this, just in case (for everyone else, it's for the movie "The Hunt".

I did sympathize with him the most, but that's because I knew he didn't do it (I also love Mads Mikkelsen). I dont sympathize with people in real life accused of the same thing (if Im not sure they did it or not), but I sympathize with uncertainty. Unless I was in the parents situation, I would never take sides in a moment of uncertainty like that, and I DEFINITELY would never put him through what he was put through. We are humans, not animals. I have compassion even for the worst of people, because there are circumstances of their life that I am unaware of (which is why I always give everyone the benefit of the doubt). It's not for me, or any ordinary citizen, to deal out punishment to a criminal. There's judicial systems for a reason, and its to protect both the innocent and the guilty (at least in theory, most of the time it works).

Also, I dont think the ending where they talk is bad or inappropriate. It was awkward, but only because we, the viewer, watched all of the events unfold in a 2 hour stretch. It said a year had passed since Christmas eve (when all the shit went down), so they all had a year to regrow their relationships and reconcile. That scene was there to show that he had forgiven her, and that it wasn't her fault (which is highlighted by her child like fright of lines on the floor. Children sometimes don't fully understand things, especially the consequences of their actions).

What I concluded from the film is what I stated above. Accusations aren't fact. If everyone treated them as fact, it could completely destroy a person and would undermine the gift of human intelligence. Even in the end of the film, life can never be the same for him, which is shown by him getting shot at in the woods a year after the series of events unfolded. This is why I made my initial comment. If you didnt know, woody allen had been, many years ago, accused of molesting a young child, but was never convicted. People to this day call him a child molester, even though it is unknown whether or not he did it. I think that's a very dangerous attitude to have towards uncertainty. This is what The Hunt is about, in my opinion.

#27 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2188 posts) -

Suspected Hollywood molestors and rapists are never "hunted down" in America, if anything they get a giant career and reputation boost from it all.(R. Kelly, Allen, Polanski, Michael Jackson, Mike Tyson, etc.) Public racism and outright, undeniable murder are literally the only things that can have a lasting, negative impact on a celebrity. R. Kelly just might be the most egregious example, since not only is he suspected of raping dozens of children, there's actual video evidence of him in the act. No jail time for him, just platinum records, a multi-year deal with IFC and writers praising him for being a "sex poet" while hinting at some vague controversy.

I guess the critics(and former child actors) that say Hollywood is an ugly mass of sexual exploitation are just trying to censor all these beautiful artists.