Netflix and Gamefly

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SSValis

I have both Netflix and Gamefly, it is great not having to go to the video store anymore. Netflix is so great becuase it is so fast and I can watch movies on my 360, but gamefly kind of sucks. Sometimes it takes like two weeks for me to get a game. One time I went a whole month from the time I shipped the game back till I got another game. I called them up and they did not even give me a free month, just some gamefly dollars. 
How long does it take you to get your games in the mail?

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By rentfn

Yeah they are really slow at shipping out games. If you time it right and have an empty spot and a new release is coming out they will send that. But you have to be tricky. I knew ODST was coming out so i kept an empty spot and in theory they sent it out today...who knows when i will get it though.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ArchScabby
@SSValis said:
" I have both Netflix and Gamefly, it is great not having to go to the video store anymore. Netflix is so great becuase it is so fast and I can watch movies on my 360, but gamefly kind of sucks. Sometimes it takes like two weeks for me to get a game. One time I went a whole month from the time I shipped the game back till I got another game. I called them up and they did not even give me a free month, just some gamefly dollars. How long does it take you to get your games in the mail? "
I got both and have the same experiences.  Most of the time if Gamefly doesn't send me a game I'll write them threatning to cancel my account and they will apologize and a game will usually be sent the next day.

But Netflix is definitely a lot better than Gamefly.  Are they owned by the same company?
SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SSValis
@ArchScabby: I don't think they are, but a good thing about gamefly is you can buy games cheap.
Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Babble
@SSValis said:
" I have both Netflix and Gamefly, it is great not having to go to the video store anymore. Netflix is so great becuase it is so fast and I can watch movies on my 360, but gamefly kind of sucks. Sometimes it takes like two weeks for me to get a game. One time I went a whole month from the time I shipped the game back till I got another game. I called them up and they did not even give me a free month, just some gamefly dollars. How long does it take you to get your games in the mail? "
Where are you located? I use GameFly and I get a game two days after it ships out, haven't had many problems with them at all.
SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SSValis

Houston and it ships from Austin, which is only two hours away

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By penguindust

It takes about 3 days for me to get either a game or a movie.  I, too have both.  I live about a 100 miles from a major distribution center for Gamefly which is why my games tend to come pretty fast.  Drop it in the mail box on Monday, they receive it an ship a new one on Tuesday, and it shows up in my mail on Wednesday.    I've never had a really bad experience with Gamefly.  All my games arrive in working order.  Once, it took about a week to 10 days due to some inventory error, but that was the only time there was a problem.  I've had Gamefly for more than a year and Netflix for close to three.

I just wish the two companies would combine so I only had to pay 1 fee each month. 

ono_sendai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By ono_sendai

For me, it's generally between 2-5 days for a game to get to me.  I think a lot of depends  on your postal service too.  Sometimes my envelopes show up and it looks like someone was trying to get it open and see what game was inside.  I think Netflix has made a lot of inroads with USPS with shipping and stuff (USPS threatened to charge them more if they didn't change their packaging), but Gamefly may not have as good of relationship.

Some Post offices have that thing going on where they will notify Gamefly that they have your game which can expedite shipping a new game to you, but I think those are pretty few and far between.

Also, Gamefly's big distribution centers are in LA, Texas and Pittsburgh, which kind of leaves a huge swath open in the midwest.  I live outside Chicago and generally get my games from Pittsburgh, but every once in a while the Pittsburgh distribution center will have a problem and they'll ship me a game from LA or Texas and it takes a lot longer.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By penguindust
@Hay_Wire said:
"  I think Netflix has made a lot of inroads with USPS with shipping and stuff (USPS threatened to charge them more if they didn't change their packaging), but Gamefly may not have as good of relationship. "
There was a whole thing about Gamefly, Netflix and the US Postal Service a while back.  Angry words and accusations of unfair practices were spoken.  Ars Technica article.
ono_sendai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By ono_sendai
@PenguinDust: Thanks, good article!