Netflix Movies For Film and 40's

zaldar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By zaldar

So none of the movies they have been watching for films and 40s have been on netflix which is the streaming service I use. So lets choose some movies on netflix for them to watch! Lets leave out series as that is too long. (though hearing them react to stranger things would be interesting).

I would love to see:

Train to Busan: (Asian zombie Apocalypse on a train)

Tenacious D in the pick of Destiny

Lucha Underground

Kung Fu Panda

Gantz: 0 - live action anime movie (this would be hilarious)

Journey to the west: (I'll just let netflix speak to this: an evil monkey king and a dangerous pig demon are just the start of his problems. He is also falling in love).

Way of the Dragon (Chuck Norris in a Asian kung fu movie)

Could add more but I expect this is enough for now!

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Train to Busan is the best zombie movie I've seen in over a decade

fossas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've found that not nearly enough people have watched Wet Hot American Summer, and that makes me sad

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You're assuming that everyone lives in your Netflix region

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By glots

I'd love to watch just about any of my favourite movies with their commentary track, but I kinda imagine that they maybe don't have time to talk over a million movies?

Still, if I could pick movies for them, I think I'd prefer that they mainly stick to so-bad-it's-almost-good movies, like the Super Mario movie and Mortal Kombat sequels. I watched He-Man and Batman&Robin last year just because Red letter media did a commentary track for both and that made those otherwise garbage movies great.

Avatar image for genericbrotagonist
GenericBrotagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hunt for Red October was on Netflix when they did it. I guess it came off at some point though.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love Face/Off, just for an excuse to rewatch Face/Off.

Sausage Party/Angry Birds. Both look incredibly stupid. I've tried watching both and only made it 10 minutes in. I'd like a reason to stick it through.

A Talking Cat!? Someone's high school movie somehow made it onto Netflix.

Stranger Things would be awesome and it's not that long.

The Transformers movies. Again, I think I'd like to watch them - there are what, 5 of them? But everytime I start, I stop a few minutes in.

Ip Man - Again, I'd like a reason to watch it again. Also, it's Donny Yen.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was looking at Face/Off when I was at my folks at the weekend. I considered watching it.

superjop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Alex should definitely get Dan to watch Lucha Underground, now. If Vinny wants to join in, all the better!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre: lol, Stranger Things is "not that long" in the sense that it's like two and a half times longer in total running time than most of the individual movies they watch.

I guess it's not totally unreasonable, but it IS "Film & 40s" not "TV & 40s".

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smart Man Dan vs. A David Lynch film of your choice.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, it seems to me that from the very beginning, the whole point of this feature is for one member of the staff who is a big fan of a particular movie (or series of movies, as it were) to record a commentary track with one or more members of the staff who have never seen it. So maybe it's just me, but making requests kind of defeats the entire purpose?

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I'd LOVE to listen to these latest Film & 40s. I just don't want to pluck down cash for the entire Fast and the Furious series of Blu-rays, only to watch them with this feature and, likely, never again. It'd be cool if these were streaming anywhere convenient/on a service most people already pay for.

That being said, I, too, would love to see them do Film & 40s for Face/Off.

Berserk007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Berserk007

Ice pirates, cannibal the musical, zardoz, streets of fire (bill Paxton as a youngster makes an appearance ) and freaked

Ps

Also the Crank series

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Raid

Kung Fu Hustle

Hard Boiled

Battle Royale

Akira

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: Blue Velvet. It has to be Blue Velvet.

btrdeadthanred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FACE OFF.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Arjailer

What @kevin_cogneto said - it's not a request show.

Also seems pretty presumptuous to start asking for Netflix films just because that's the streaming service that you use. I don't have Netflix, so should I ask for some Amazon Video films? Or some stuff that's currently on Sky Cinema? Or maybe they could do me some F&40 tracks recorded against PAL versions of films? (When I tried to watch Hunt For Red October with the F&40 track it was noticeably out of sync within 5 minutes - 30 fps NTSC vs 25 fps PAL)

Nah - they should just record what they want and we can listen to it if we're able to.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

Chappie

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Raid

Kung Fu Hustle

Hard Boiled

Battle Royale

Akira

Akira and Hard Boiled aren't on Netflix in the US. But The Killer is. And The Killer looks far clearer than my Hong Kong imported Blu-ray. What source did they use, and why hasn't it been transferred to disc?!

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'll never understand people's problem with other people suggesting things.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BrunoTheThird

@ezekiel: If it's version of The Killer released by Vivendi's "Dragon Dynasty", a few of their blu-rays are not transferred from the original sources (some rumours suggest they might be based on PAL versions), and not even in 1080p. It's 1080i. Yuck.

I have no idea why the Netflix one is better, I haven't seen it -- maybe they touch up their sub-1080p content for modern screens somehow -- but it's never looked great from my memory. My Criterion DVD version looked iffy even in 2002 or whenever.

I'd love to see the guys watch it though. Ridiculous film, but so good.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ezekiel

@brunothethird said:

@ezekiel: If it's version of The Killer released by Vivendi's "Dragon Dynasty", a few of their blu-rays are not transferred from the original sources (some rumours suggest they might be based on PAL versions), and not even in 1080p. It's 1080i. Yuck.

I have no idea why the Netflix one is better, I haven't seen it -- maybe they touch up their sub-1080p content for modern screens somehow -- but it's never looked great from my memory. My Criterion DVD version looked iffy even in 2002 or whenever.

I'd love to see the guys watch it though. Ridiculous film, but so good.

I have the Fortune Star version. My version and Netflix's are both pretty blurry, now that I look closer. My version has bigger grains and more noise, though. Their version also has a slightly wider aspect ratio. However, Netflix's colors are slightly duller and it looks like their version is slightly sped up. It's five minutes too short of 111 minutes. Mine has the correct duration and is 24 fps. I just checked the opening of the Netflix version and saw the Dragon Dynasty logo. Maybe the PAL source explains why the duration is wrong. The DD version doesn't look as bad as I expected when I imported the Fortune Star version, but it's not good. It's a shame Hong Kong is so terrible about preserving their prints.

Images 1 and 3 are Netflix/DD and 2 and 4 are Fortune Star.

Neither version is even close to the quality of the Japanese Hard Boiled Blu-ray. I'm so glad I have a copy of it, with the laser disc mono.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BrunoTheThird

@ezekiel: You're right, it definitely looks a bit better. The more muted colours and reduced grain are easier on the eyes, but Hong Kong don't care. Health and safety and movie transfers come second and third in their movie manuals, and it's almost endearing.

Compare that to a lot of Korean and Japanese movies which tend to look really fantastic on blu-ray, then it feels more like a shame. I always got depressed when I revisited a HK classic like Police Story or something on blu-ray, then dug out on older DVD of a more obscure Japanese movie like Kwaidan or Lady Snowblood and it looked better. Kind of ridiculous. There are some stellar ones here and there -- the 40th anniversary edition of Enter the Dragon looks great -- but that's not so common. That Hard Boiled one looks sharp too.

Streaming services have liberated me from any picture quality snobbery I once had, anyway. Ugly subtitle fonts are my current nemesis with foreign cinema.

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Requesting movies only on Netflix is hard due to the fact that you might request it now and then the licence for it expires on Netflix. Remember thatnjust bevause it's on Netflix now, it might not be tomorrow.

zaldar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:

Smart Man Dan vs. A David Lynch film of your choice.

It would have to be Dune....