#1 Posted by AlisterCat (5733 posts) -

I'd like to change that, but I don't know where to begin. There's regular blade runner, the directors cut and the final cut. What are my options regarding quality? I don't really know the differences between the versions.

#2 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (743 posts) -

Director's or Final cut are the ones to check out. The original version has a deliberately terrible voiceover by Harrison Ford throughout. He recorded it poorly deliberately believing the studio wouldn't dare use it, but they did anyway.

#3 Posted by Little_Socrates (5718 posts) -

Director's Cut or Final Cut, yeah. Nobody's gonna tell you to watch the original cut first, and there's really not much of a difference between Director's and Final.

When people fell in love with Blade Runner, it was with the DC. But the FC has some legitimate fixes and some potential downsides. Personally, I prefer Final Cut, 'cause it keeps some of the more violent moments that actually are pretty unique and relevant to the story.

#4 Posted by CaLe (4056 posts) -

After you watch the movie, find the documentary making of. Probably the best 'making of' I've ever seen.

#5 Edited by NTM (7549 posts) -

Get the Blade Runner 5-Disc Complete Collector's Edition. That's what I have, and you'll get not only the best quality, but you'll get all of the versions, which is quite interesting to see the subtle and not so subtle differences. Furthermore, if you've never seen it, it's hard to say if you'll like it or not. I can see how it would bore some, and I can understand how others love it. There's actually a new edition that came out, or is going to come out soon.

I recommend after seeing the movie, come on the internet and read all you can about it; that is, if you actually like the film. The film, if you're tired, could potentially put you to sleep, but not because it's boring, not necessarily, but because of the sounds and the music that's in the film; it's all kind of calming for the most part. "Cross now. Cross now. Cross now - " "Don't walk. Don't walk. Don't walk." :P I love the atmosphere. I really find it unfortunate when people can't find interest in this. Most of the time it's because they claim it to be boring, and when I was younger, I could have agreed. Now it's one of my favorite films ever made. They're making a sequel too! :D

#6 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

I remember falling asleep a lot while watching it (Final Cut) 
So I had to watch it in parts and.. I guess it was alright.  

The "making of" thing is pretty great though

#7 Posted by Veektarius (5031 posts) -

Director's Cut is the one that I know. I also recommend watching it while you're at that perfect stage of buzzed where you see all the little details in each scene. For example, Decker's glass is awesome.

#8 Posted by Marcsman (3296 posts) -

Why are you still online and not watching it?

#9 Posted by BisonHero (7070 posts) -

@AlisterCat: Like people are saying, the regular/original cut that has a monologue voiceover in a lot of the scenes is kind of lame, but that version is almost impossible to find anyways on VHS/DVD, I thought, because they've been so keen to push various "Director's Cut!" versions on people. Also, I feel like without the voiceover, the movie has better atmosphere, but OH GOD there is so little exposition to explain what the fuck is going on and who the fuck anybody is. You'll probably want to read a synopsis afterwards, but the movie is still worth it just for all of the set designs, costume designs, and special effects, which were hugely influential on cyberpunk and sci-fi for decades afterwards.

#10 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

This movie is fantastic. I've hardly seen any films capture a setting and mood of locations like this one.

#11 Posted by KrypticKiller (191 posts) -

It's not a bad flick, but it is certainly not as great as some internet folks make it out to be. It is an 80's sci-fi film, with a great director who gets some really good shots.

#12 Posted by CornBREDX (6075 posts) -

I've always liked it, and even liked it when it originally came out. 
That being said the directors cut is the best I have seen (I never watched the final cut or understood why it was cut again haha). 
Same goes for Legend actually, the directors cut of that is also fantastic. 

Ridley Scott seemed to have a similar problem with both. Studios wanting him to do something that ultimately brought the movie down. With legend it was cheesy pop rock haha

#13 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

Allow me to be the disenting opinion here and say that I did not care for Blade Runner. I say this as a lifelong fan of sci-fi. I somehow managed to go 30-something years without seeing it (just watched it a couple of years ago). I can see how it's an important movie, and an influential one, but I just found it dull. For what it's worth I saw the Director's Cut.

#14 Posted by awesomeusername (4220 posts) -

I tried watching it last Christmas on Netflix but I was falling asleep. I don't know if it was because I was bored or because it was midnight and I wanted my presents.

#15 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

@Kerned @awesomeusername: : That's understandable. I liked the pacing especially. The characters taking their sweet time in some of the scenes. @KrypticKiller: Definitely some good camera work.

#16 Posted by Liquidus (942 posts) -

Final Cut is the definitive version of Blade Runner imo.

#17 Posted by believer258 (12210 posts) -

@NTM said:

Get the Blade Runner 5-Disc Complete Collector's Edition. That's what I have, and you'll get not only the best quality, but you'll get all of the versions, which is quite interesting to see the subtle and not so subtle differences. Furthermore, if you've never seen it, it's hard to say if you'll like it or not. I can see how it would bore some, and I can understand how others love it. There's actually a new edition that came out, or is going to come out soon.

I recommend after seeing the movie, come on the internet and read all you can about it; that is, if you actually like the film. The film, if you're tired, could potentially put you to sleep, but not because it's boring, not necessarily, but because of the sounds and the music that's in the film; it's all kind of calming for the most part. "Cross now. Cross now. Cross now - " "Don't walk. Don't walk. Don't walk." :P I love the atmosphere. I really find it unfortunate when people can't find interest in this. Most of the time it's because they claim it to be boring, and when I was younger, I could have agreed. Now it's one of my favorite films ever made. They're making a sequel too! :D

I need to watch it again. It's been about a year or two but I remember thinking it was kind of boring then. All I remember is Harrison Ford walking around a rainy city and Rutger Haur kissing(!?) and then poking that dude's eyes out. And then Rutger Haur talking about things I wouldn't believe.

#18 Posted by JasonR86 (9729 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

I'd like to change that, but I don't know where to begin. There's regular blade runner, the directors cut and the final cut. What are my options regarding quality? I don't really know the differences between the versions.

The director's or final cut are the best versions. I would even go as far as to say the original cut was a bad movie. If you hear narration when you're watching the movie then that is the wrong version.

#19 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

@believer258: So it wasn't interesting to you because it was different from most sci-fi? I can't even remember a film resembling it to date.

#20 Edited by NTM (7549 posts) -

@believer258: Yeah, you really have to pay attention, or try to, and it'd be a good idea to watch it more than once or even twice. I don't think it was until the fifth time I saw it that the ending really felt emotional. Or... Sorry, I can't pay attention right now.

#21 Posted by CreepyUncleBrad (176 posts) -

Watch the Director's Cut, I think it is the best but the Final Cut is also perfectly fine. The theatrical cut sucks.

And as for the people saying they fell asleep watching it or found it boring I'm curious if they went into it expecting some action-heavy sci-fi epic or if they knew ahead of time is was more of a slow paced film-noir. I won't outright dismiss that someone could have approached it in the latter sense and still found it boring but personally I find it hard to believe that if you approach the movie as an intelligent film that it could be boring. Like I said though maybe that is the case for some people.

#22 Posted by ToastMan (101 posts) -

@Kerned said:

Allow me to be the disenting opinion here and say that I did not care for Blade Runner. I say this as a lifelong fan of sci-fi. I somehow managed to go 30-something years without seeing it (just watched it a couple of years ago). I can see how it's an important movie, and an influential one, but I just found it dull. For what it's worth I saw the Director's Cut.

Same here. I never watched it back in the day, and only got to watch it relatively recently. I found it pretty boring and slow.

I guess it's a "had to be there" kind of thing. I can see how this was a big deal when it came out, and I'd imagine that I'd appreciate it more with nostalgia to back it up.

#23 Posted by smitty86 (695 posts) -

Pretty much NEVER watch the original. I have only watched that (twice) and I thought (both times) it was a massive pile of shit. Just terrible. But I have already read that the final and directors cut fix just about everything i hated about it so I'll eventually get on that. But yeah, if you watch the original, you'll be left wondering who the hell could ever think this movie was a classic so just avoid it.

#24 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

@CreepyUncleBrad: I definitely wasn't expecting an action movie. I just sort of thought the movie felt a bit scattered, and the pacing felt off. That isn't necessarily to say that it was slow, just poorly paced. I wish I could make a more nuanced critique of it, but I have only seen it once and that was the impression I was left with. I fully expected to like it, and was pretty surprised by my reaction.

#25 Posted by believer258 (12210 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

@believer258: So it wasn't interesting to you because it was different from most sci-fi? I can't even remember a film resembling it to date.

What? No. It felt like nothing happened in the movie.

#26 Posted by Thevamp25 (234 posts) -

Just get final cut on blu-ray and you`ll be good.

#27 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3247 posts) -

I haven't seen it either, I might check out the Final Cut.

#28 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

@Kerned said:

I feel pretty much the same way. I absolutely adore cyberpunk, and Blade Runner is one of the landmark works in the genre, but I just can't get into it. I kinda feel like I'm missing out.

#29 Posted by august (3866 posts) -

Don't expect an action movie.

#30 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

Never got the appeal of the movie so I guess I'm in the camp of don't bother. Maybe I wasn't in the right mindset or something, but I was bored to tears the entire time and gave up about 20-30 min into it. I wouldn't go out and buy some crazy box set until you watch some version of it and decide for yourself if it's as good as others would have you believe.

#31 Posted by JasonR86 (9729 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Funkydupe said:

What would you have wanted to be different? It's one of my favorite movies but I do admit there are some problems. The movie isn't really about the story per se. It's not about Deckard going after the replicants. It's more about the setting and the nature of humanity and what it means to be alive and have rights and who should have rights and why. The movie is good due to its' setting and concept and the pay off with the ending and less about the story that drives the movie forward.

#32 Posted by Morello (86 posts) -

It should be pointed out that the Blu-Ray releases are hailed as one of the best transfers around. They look and sound stunning.

If you do get the set with the 5 different versions it is certainly worth watching them all assuming you enjoy the Final Cut. There are a lot of subtle - and not so subtle - differences in them that mean that elements of the story can be interpreted in various ways.

#33 Posted by ajamafalous (12165 posts) -

I prefer Final Cut, but Director's Cut is completely fine as well. There are some subtle and not-so-subtle differences that have story impact depending on how much you read into them. I'd definitely watch one, then go look up the differences between the two versions, then go watch the other.

That being said, Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies.

#34 Posted by believer258 (12210 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@believer258 said:

@Funkydupe said:

What would you have wanted to be different? It's one of my favorite movies but I do admit there are some problems. The movie isn't really about the story per se. It's not about Deckard going after the replicants. It's more about the setting and the nature of humanity and what it means to be alive and have rights and who should have rights and why. The movie is good due to its' setting and concept and the pay off with the ending and less about the story that drives the movie forward.

It's been a while, dude. Ask me at the time and I would have said "Something that isn't Harrison Ford looking sad in the rain", but I stated above that I need to - and, indeed, plan to - rewatch it to see if I can pick up on more of its subtleties.

#35 Posted by CoinMatze (476 posts) -

Germany seems to be the only country where the theatrical cut is better liked. Probably because Harrison Ford's voice actor didn't half-heartedly mumble his lines on purpose, also people here are weird.

I think the Final Cut is the best version for reasons already stated here. There's this one scene in the Director's Cut where you can clearly see that it's a stunt double and I find that very distracting. Now that I think about it, the improved version is distracting in that I always think about how much better it looks.

#36 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3508 posts) -

It's my favourite sci-fi movie, outside STALKER I guess.

Vangelis destroys the score in that movie, but yeah, it's really atmospheric and airy. Can definitely put you to sleep depending on your mood.

#37 Posted by csl316 (9509 posts) -

I have the Final Cut and I'm quite fond of that version.  Amazon Instant has it for $3 to rent, or you can get the dvd for $7.

#38 Posted by gla55jAw (2698 posts) -

I should try one of those versions. I read 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' for a class, (the book that the movie is based off), and loved it. We watched regular edition of Blade Runner, and I hated it.

#39 Posted by Flappy (2356 posts) -

@gla55jAw said:

I should try one of those versions. I read 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' for a class, (the book that the movie is based off), and loved it. We watched regular edition of Blade Runner, and I hated it.

The only difference being that I enjoyed my first viewing of the movie, I had a similar experience back in high school. The book was pretty damn good.

#40 Posted by gla55jAw (2698 posts) -

@Flappy said:

@gla55jAw said:

The only difference being that I enjoyed my first viewing of the movie, I had a similar experience back in high school. The book was pretty damn good.

It might have been that I had heard such good things about the movie, and after seeing what they had changed from the book, it kind of fell flat for me. It's been years though, so I'll give it another go.

#41 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (500 posts) -

Only watched this a couple of years ago and I didn't really like it. BUT I love the setting and do realise the importance of the film.

#42 Posted by LastNinja (281 posts) -

IMHO Bladerunner is a masterpiece on every level. Acting, story, music, setting, special effects, editing, cinematography and atmosphere are all sublime individually and work together to create one of the most compelling sci-fi movies I have ever seen. There is a certain level of authenticity to the proceedings that I feel is pretty unique to this film and Ridley's other sci-fi masterpiece Alien. I highly recommend checking out the final cut on blu-ray.

#43 Posted by thomasnash (585 posts) -

@gla55jAw: I can understand that. I love the book and the movie, but the movie is only superficially related to the book. Where the film is all about what it is to be human an so on, the book is about that and more; the stuff about entropy coming to mind most readily. But the biggest thing I suppose is that the themes of the film are present in the book they aren't it's primary concerns. I've been thinking about this a lot recently, and I'd say that the book is far more about empathy and emotion and whether Deckard is being made robotic by his environment - I don't think there's as much of a question of whether hes a replicant in the book.

But the things that underpin that in the book would be difficult to film. How would you do mercerism in cinema and have it work? And Scott is obviously interested in the ethics of robotics, which I think Prometheus shows, so you can see exactly why he did what he did with the material.

#44 Posted by jerseyscum (926 posts) -

Avoid the Theatrical Cut of the movie like a case of herpes. The hatchet job the studio took to the ending is a travesty.

The actual ending of the film is possibly one of the most ingenious reveals of all time. Blade Runner is a great example of a film that doesn't insult the audience's intelligence and showing rather than telling. It's just a gorgeous film to look at plain and simple. The art direction, the music and the set design still hold up to this day.

It's also a major bummer to realize that not many studios would risk this kind of financial investment on a science-fiction film that wasn't a rehash of a previous franchise or another fucking comic book movie. Or directly pandering to morons with lots of shiny CG and a shit script. Blade Runner might honestly be my favorite film of all time when it comes down to it. Movies this good are really one in million. Just watch the damn thing sooner than later and get back to me.

#45 Posted by jerseyscum (926 posts) -

@NTM said:

Damnit. I just got the Blu-Ray Final cut and now I have to get the new one.

#46 Posted by Thanatos3 (82 posts) -

No matter what version you get though it will only look nice. It has a slow pace (not in a good way, mind you), numerous plot holes (even more if you listen to the director), and overall you will only enjoy if you are a huge lover of sci-fi movies. So of course I like it a lot but nobody else I know enjoys it.

#47 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

276.049 opinions averaged 8.3 on Imdb for this slow, plot hole filled, sci-fi lover's fest. Enjoy it you're that kind of a horrible person that likes things against popular opinion. You will never like it, you can just sit in a chair somewhere and stare at a wall and you'll feel more entertained. But sure, let this guy make up your mind for you in advance, that'll make it way better or way worse depending on what you ate for breakfast today.

#48 Posted by Sursh (242 posts) -

i prefer the directors cut, if you itch for more afterwards go for the final cut. The original theatrical cut has some pretty anti climatic shit lodged in.

sidenote: watch the movie more than once; the first watch just doesn't do it justice.