• 105 results
#1 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

I am one of those few people on this world that has managed to not watch a single Star Wars movie to this day. However, I feel like I just need to watch them now because of the impact of the series and also so that I can understand all the Star Wars references that pop up everywhere.

Problem is, I have no idea where to start.

I was thinking of buying the new blu-ray collection and watching them in the order they were released. But I know that Mr. Lucas has made many changes to the old movies. Are the changes significant enough for a first-time viewer that it will affect my enjoyment of the movies? If so, how the hell am I supposed to acquire the original versions?

Thanks.

#2 Posted by IBurningStar (2173 posts) -

Find a copy of the orignal unaltered films. The ones that don't have all the stuff that Lucas added to "enhance" them. All that stuff actually did was create some very jarring images that take you out of the movie. So watch A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. After that stop. You run the risk of feeling super disappointed if you watch anything else.

#3 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

You'll be fine with the new versions. I enjoy watching them 1-6, as the epic tale of Anakin Skywalker.

#4 Posted by AlexW00d (6281 posts) -

By hurting yourself.

#5 Edited by NTM (7411 posts) -

Start from the originals then go to the new ones. When I was younger (like ten years old) I really liked Star Wars, but when I became more mature, I just respected it as I kind of do now. As you broaden your viewing of other films, or at least for me, I had changed my opinion. I'm not much of a fan of Star Wars, and only like a few aspects out of the whole series. I'd much rather watch Alien/Aliens, Blade Runner, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Planet of the Apes (originals), Star Trek, and Avatar. Basically, a lot of things that aren't Star Wars I'm into. Anyways, watch the originals first like everyone else had originally done.

#6 Posted by Foxtrot0245 (319 posts) -

You should definitely watch IV, V, VI, I, II, and III in that order. Regarding all the changes to the original, you'll be able to see the line and know when something doesn't look quite like it came from the late 70's/early 80's, so they aren't that big of a deal (Han shoots first, just know that).

P.S.: Episodes II and III are bearable, but you should really make sure you have nothing better to do before attempting to wade through the bullshit of Episode I.

#7 Posted by Aetheldod (3594 posts) -

@Twilight: Just watch them in the numbered order , a lot of "fans" will try to tell you other wise , but man those people are nuts

#8 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Watch them in order 1-6

This way, you get to sit through the horror that is 1-3 and be uplifted by the greatness that is 4-6.

Don't get the Blu-rays. The DVD collection is probably the least offensive of the bunch, as I doubt you're getting the true VHS copies.

#9 Edited by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@Twilight: The Blu Rays, without any nostalgia for the originals you have no reason to hate the blu rays. Oh and Episode 4,5,6,1,2,3

#10 Edited by Sanj (2404 posts) -

@Hizang said:

The Blu Rays, without any nostalgia for the originals you have no reason to hate the blu rays.

Exactly.

The edits only piss off those who saw the original and want to preserve their memories of it. The changes themselves are inoffensive to those without any nostalgia for the originals.

#11 Posted by fox01313 (5074 posts) -

Just do what most people did when watching them, start with New hope through Return of the Jedi then go for the prequels (episodes 1-3). Not sure if the bluray versions have all the newer additions, that were inserted on the 2nd round of them tweaking the films before the prequels (first time was just cleaning up the audio/video but not adding things, 2nd time was adding things to the original trilogy). The changes aren't that significant from what I remember on what they did to the episodes 4-6 but I've not seen the video versions for the bluray to see if they've done further changes to the films, then again I saw the films so much while growing up that it's been ages since I sat down to watch these dvds on my shelf. You can go to amazon for either one as far as research on which ones to go after.

original trilogy with changes

original trilogy theatrical release

#12 Posted by Skytylz (4033 posts) -

I think you pretty much have to start with the original trilogy and the blu-rays are fine, all the changes are pretty minor. I'm kinda shocked that this many people are saying to start with one.

#13 Posted by Foxtrot0245 (319 posts) -

@NTM said:

watch the originals first like everyone else had originally done.

This. You should already know how evil the Emperor and Darth Vader are going into the prequels, whose only real selling point is that they can show you how their twisted personalities came to be.

#14 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

To the people saying that I should watch them 1-6: Is this the order the movies were intended to be watched? Doesn't it make more sense to just watch them in the order they were released?

#15 Posted by Kidavenger (3570 posts) -

I would just watch them in the order they were released.

The changes don't kill the movies if you hadn't seen them before.

Don't try to marathon them, one a day at most.

#16 Posted by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

They aren't .............. you know what, nevermind, you go ahead.

#17 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

Order of release, especially if you don't know EVERY plot twist and turn from the Original Trilogy. The Prequels spoil every reveal in those movies.

#18 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@Twilight: Yes it is best advised to watch them in the order they were released.

However, it is a continuing storyline and watching the first 3 first will prevent you having to watch the last 3 twice.

It is also better to end on an up note, instead of the shitty prequels.

#19 Posted by CheapPoison (733 posts) -

Watch 4 to 6 then stop!

But really just watch 4 to 6 first and then 1 to 3. In a way it doesn't matter but story wise 1-3 ruin a lot of the impact of 4-5. Then again at this point you probably know enough of the stories beats that you had tons of spoilers just from culturural references everywhere.

#20 Posted by rentfn (1280 posts) -

#21 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

I think I'll just skip the 3 last movies, unless I'm really fucking bored. Seems like they just ruin the series for everyone.

Anyone here have the blu-rays? Do you guys think that someone who hasn't seen the movies will even notice or care for the changes? Aslong as I know that Han Solo shot first, am I good to go with the blu-rays?

#22 Posted by mordukai (7153 posts) -

@Galiant said:

You'll be fine with the new versions. I enjoy watching them 1-6, as the epic tale of Anakin Skywalker.

WRONG WRONG WRONG! By doing that he'll ruin the entire pace of the series.

Just watch the originals and if you're that bored watch the prequels.

#23 Posted by Zithe (1045 posts) -

@Aetheldod said:

@Twilight: Just watch them in the numbered order , a lot of "fans" will try to tell you other wise , but man those people are nuts

What? Watching them in the order they were made and released is nuts? I think it makes way more sense.

#24 Posted by SpaceRunaway (869 posts) -

@Wrighteous86 said:

Order of release, especially if you don't know EVERY plot twist and turn from the Original Trilogy. The Prequels spoil every reveal in those movies.

As someone who grew up watching the originals, I was going to say watch them in order, so you would have the best for last. But seeing this made me rethink my stance, and I'd say go with order of release now. And yeah, if you don't have any experience with the films, the meddling changes made won't honestly be that bad, besides how jarring the awful CG will look.

#25 Posted by Sackmanjones (4711 posts) -

Go through the original trilogy altered or not. The changes aren't a travesty everyone makes it out to be. And hey some of them are actually good (shock!!). But episode 1 is uh… rough to get through. Two is a better. It has great action set pieces but the love story is blah. I actually really enjoyed 3 though. Don't believe a lot of this shot people give these movies. Especially the altered versions. Yes some is questionable but a lot is for the good. But definitely watch the original first and then hit the new ones

#26 Posted by ShaggE (6476 posts) -

Don't ignore Ep. 3, as it's actually entertaining. Stupid still, but entertaining. But this is coming from someone who doesn't care for Star Wars at all.

#27 Edited by gamefreak9 (2359 posts) -

Order of release... its the way it was meant to be watched... if you don't you will not enjoy the most epic moment in episode 5, because it was spoiled for you in the new ones. Not to mention that going 1-6 will take you from great effects to terrible effects... Sure I prefer the old ones... but the fights in the old ones will seem like a big downgrade after going through the first 3 episodes...

#28 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@gamefreak9: ... =/= ,

It does not

#29 Posted by gamefreak9 (2359 posts) -

@Canteu:

does not what?

#30 Posted by Soapy86 (2623 posts) -

Gary Whitta mentioned an "experimental" way of watching Star Wars which is 4,5,1,2,3, and then 6. I haven't watched any Star Wars at all for many years, so I'll think I'll try watching them in that order whenever Lucas and co release the "Archival Editions" of the movies that I'm patiently waiting for.

#31 Edited by jakob187 (21676 posts) -

You find the old VHS copies of A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi, and then you play Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2, maybe some Rogue Squadron on N64 or Jedi Academy on PC. After that, play Old Republic if you want.

I know that it seems like I'm forgetting something, but trust me...I'm not.

In all honesty, though, all of the impact of the first movies are ruined anyways because the world already knows that Luke Skywalker is Darth Vader's son.

#32 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Canteu said:

@gamefreak9: ... =/= ,

#33 Posted by binhoker (82 posts) -

I really wouldn't bother. They are children's films.

#34 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

@jakob187: There are more plot twists than that, but yeah, odds are he's heard them all or just picked them up through references or advertising or society. You'd be surprised though, that some people are still surprised by

Luke and Leia's relations, who the great Jedi Master Yoda really is, Old Ben being Obi-Wan, and Darth Vader being good at heart. It's rare, too, but I know some people that didn't know Anakin Skywalker was Darth Vader, or that he was Luke's father.
#35 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -
@Mordukai

@Galiant said:

WRONG WRONG WRONG! By doing that he'll ruin the entire pace of the series.

Just watch the originals and if you're that bored watch the prequels.

It's not a matter of "right" or "wrong", I said that's the way I prefer to watch them. I don't think it ruins the pace at all, and I quite enjoyed 1-3.
#36 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

The prequels are bad but it's not like the originals are particularly great either, watch them in order 1-6.

#37 Edited by Bevinsky (181 posts) -

Watch 4, 5, 6 then stop. That's all you need to do to enjoy Star Wars to its fullest.

If you absolutely WANT to, you can watch 1, 2, 3 afterwards, and then watch the Red Letter Media reviews to see how utterly laughable the prequels are.

#38 Edited by Sogeman (872 posts) -

Don't, watch Star Trek TNG instead.

Or just Episode 3, the best of them. (I'm serious)

#39 Posted by TooSweet (388 posts) -

Start 4, 5 and 6 then the rest. If you can get your hands on the old VHS tapes that would be good.

#40 Posted by Veektarius (4872 posts) -

@Twilight: Well, when you ask what is 'intended', you're asking what George Lucas thinks, and no one respects what he thinks anymore, so I'm not sure it's a good question. But he might say watch I-VI. Vader's story might be better if you watch I-VI, but Luke's story is way better going IV-III, since you won't have spoilers. Of course, everything is probably already spoiled for you at this point so maybe that's not a valid concern.

#41 Posted by Zembosis (100 posts) -

Just watch 4,5, and 6. Don't bother with anything else.

#42 Posted by Animasta (14699 posts) -

I watched them 1,2,3,4,5,6 3 yeears ago and it worked fairly well for me.

thing about the prequels... you won't hate them as much as others if you start with em.

#43 Posted by CountMacula (235 posts) -

Order of release for sure. Also if the Ewoks in 6 piss you off, you'll probably want to take a break before the prequel trilogy. Just saying.

#44 Posted by Zembosis (100 posts) -

@Animasta: You won't hate them at all if you don't watch them ;) LOL

#45 Posted by Lifestrike (482 posts) -

You missed your chance.

#46 Posted by Animasta (14699 posts) -

@Zembosis said:

@Animasta: You won't hate them at all if you don't watch them ;) LOL

I didn't hate them though, I meant as much as others seem to. No, they aren't as good, but people make them out to be actively bad rather than mediocre.

#47 Posted by Kidavenger (3570 posts) -

I can't believe people are recommending 1-6 in order.

1-3 are dumb action movies, if you treat them as such they are fine, the story in these movies is terrible and only serves to ruin major plot points in 4-6.

4-6 contains the great story, don't ruin that by watching 1-3 first.

#48 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

I was a kid when I saw Episode 1 with JarJar and all and completely loved that movie, but now that I'm not a dumbass kid, I know that you should watch the original trilogy first and then never watch the prequels if you can help it. Even as kids with zero taste in entertainment, we all agreed that everything in Star Wars was cooler before the prequels.

As others have posted, avoid the "enhanced" versions if you can. They're super jarring with the CGI cuts in them.

#49 Edited by Fattony12000 (7457 posts) -

Star Wars

Star Wars Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

Star Wars Episode VI - Return Of The Jedi

You must only watch the theatrically released versions, however, you will only be able to find the Laser Disc prints of them on DVD these days. This is somewhat unfortunate as it isn't the very best quality in the world, but still more than adequate. My girlfriend and I have been watching one per weekend just recently, and they still hold up as completely awesome sauce.

These are the only versions of the DVD release that came with the unaltered theatrical films.

#50 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.