NEW music of 2015 thread (No videos plz)

perilator666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

Dan Barrett of Have a Nice Life and Giles Corey is releasing a new album on The Flenser under the new moniker Black Wing entitled ...Is Doomed later this year. So far from what I've heard of it, it's going to be my AOTY. Check out the songs My Body Betrayed Me, Death Sentences and If I Let Him In. Also I believe The Flenser is also involved in the re-release of Dan's selftitled Giles Corey album from 2011, also later this year. It's very much like Black Wing except with acoustic guitar instead of synths. Also check out Have a Nice Life. They don't have have an album out this year but I'm recommending it anyway because fuck the police.

http://theflenser.com/black-wing-is-doomed-announcement/

As a bonus, I highly recommend you go to Youtube and search for Dan You Are Such An Asshole and listen to the Giles Corey song at the top of the list. The song is about depression and suicidal thoughts, but the title is just so fucking perfect for Giant Bomb.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#152  Edited By HH

more metal, this one sounds fresh, a touch of Kvelertak maybe, but more metal...

Immortal Bird

nerdsbeware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

September feels loaded with good music! New Iron Maiden, Chvrches, Black Dahlia Murder and Atreyu all come out within weeks of each other!

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#154  Edited By Roomrunner

All I care about is Battles. September belongs to Battles.

I've listened to a stream of the new Destroyer album, Poison Season. I don't know. Destroyer rubs me the wrong way some times. He just hams it up a little bit too much. His last album, Kaputt, left a really good impression on me, because the foucus was more on the music than his affectations. Everything else he does eventually grates on me. I fear that Poison Season will be another one of those.

I finally got my hands on the latest PolysicsHEN 愛 LET'S GO! EP (Here is the first song from it performed live). Since I'm not into Ultraman, or know any Japanese, a lot of what makes this concept EP relevant is lost on me. All the songs pretty much just do the same "run around like a maniac at full speed", and it just doesn't have the same personality their previous EP had.

The new Foals album, What Went Down is what really impressed me this month. The new, grittier direction works. While the album doesn't have any real standout tracks, it's their most honest, natural, and consistent album; and def their best since their debut (which I still pine for).

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does saying that I think that Downtown by Macklemore is a pretty good song make me a mainstream pleb? Eh, don't care. Heard it on Triple J this morning and it stuck with me.

Bonus mention goes to Behind The Drapery, a song made specifically (?) for MGS5. I put the question mark there because no one knows anything about this track (artist, date of composition, nothing), despite it being amazing. Some are saying that it could be John Maus, not someone I'm familiar with, but after listening to some of his tracks, I can hear the resemblance.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

New Amorphis, Under the Red Cloud, is out today, and it is absolutely killer!

akeripper4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

some good things so far : Riwen the cold afx orphaned deejay selek 2006-08 MG martin gore

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Roomrunner

Listened to this stream of the new Ben Folds album, So There, yesterday. I never knew the album was even in the works until I heard it. It's surprisingly good!

Lately, Ben Folds has been too sappy for my taste, and his humor mostly falling flat. This one nicely finds a middle road between sentimental and silly. It also helps that the album is an orchestral collaboration. It sounds fantastic, and more time is given to the instrumentals, leaving only the best of Ben Folds to come out.

Krataur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@shinboy630: Yeah, I'm really enjoying it. Not sure I like it as much as Circle, though.

New The Dear Hunter album last week, too, for anyone interested. Act Iv: Rebirth in Reprise, some good stuff on there as always.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Can any of you guys recommend something relatively recent that's either: Disco-funky (a la MJ), Soulful, old-school R&B, Jazzy, Groovy, Bassy, Orchestra-y, etc? I'm looking for that big feeling if you know what I mean. I'm a fan of Daft Punk and Stevie Wonder as well.

Also maybe something that's reminiscent of a Beatles type rock? Maybe a bit of Simon & Garfunkel in there? Don't know what you'd call that now. Here's a couple of samples of the type of thing I'd like to hear: one and two.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Shocking. That new Iron Maiden album is fucking great. Actually it isn't shocking, I honestly believe there best overall material has occurred over the past 15 years and Book of Souls is fantastic. The Red and the Black being the highlight of the album, can't get enough of that song.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By habster3

@aegon: I know this album's been mentioned several times in this thread, but if you want something jazzy or orchestra-y I'd definitely recommend Kamasi Washington's The Epic. It's almost three hours long, but it's certainly worth it. I really like his rendition of "Clair de Lune". No idea for Beatles-type rock, especially since the new Tame Impala album's kind of strayed from their old Beatles-Floyd inspired formula, and the best I've got for Simon and Garfunkel is Carrie and Lowell by Sufjan Stevens. Mentioned all the time, I know, but still solid as far as lighter sounding folk is concerned.

I also really enjoyed the new albums by Death Grips, Napalm Death, FNM (kind of a divisive album though), Björk, and Kendrick Lamar, although everyone's well-aware of those album's existences, particularly Kendrick's.

For original contributions:

• No Closer to Heaven - The Wonder Years. Not a huge pop punk fan, but these guys knock it out of the park with every release (minus their debut).
  • Hand. Cannot. Erase. - Steven Wilson. Awesome prog album, great performances by SW, Nick Beggs, and Guthrie Govan. Probably my favorite thing he's released so far.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

The new Tesseract (Polaris) is up for streaming now. SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOD! I don't like it as much as Altered State yet, but it is still absolutely incredible!

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#164  Edited By Cirdain

Some of "Days Gone By" by Black Moses is almost really good slow paced electronica.

HIMSteveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've seen some things on other people's lists that I've enjoyed, but a lot of stuff I've enjoyed/loved hasn't been mentioned yet (obviously not a bad thing, makes us all different and who we are). A lot of the albums I've bought this year need to be listened to more too. Anywho, here's what I've dug this year:

• Haste the Day - Coward
  • Hundredth - Free
  • I, Valiance - The Reject of Humanity EP (Australian death metal band; the [now former] vocalist Mark Poida is a beast!)
  • Make Them Suffer - Old Souls
  • A Night In Texas - The God Delusion (another Aussie death metal band; short, sharp, and brutal)
  • Orpheus Omega - Partum Vita Mortem
  • Refused - Freedom
  • Statues - Together We're Alone
  • Storm the Sky - Permanence
  • Thy Art Is Murder - Holy War
  • While She Sleeps - Brainwashed
  • Dr Dre - Compton
  • Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
  • Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth
  • Rivers of Nihil - Monarchy
  • Lamb of God - VII: Sturm Und Drang
  • Stories - The Youth To Become
  • Against Me! - 23 Live Sex Acts (a live album, but still great)
  • Black Tongue - The Unconquerable Dark
  • Crossfaith - Xeno
  • Parkway Drive - Ire
  • Bring Me The Horizon - That's The Spirit

Still need to get to the new Children of Bodom, Coheed & Cambria (when it's out), Sylosis, Depths, Slaves, Miles Away, and apparently Ghost and Cattle Decapitation too. It'll get did hopefully :)

I'd also welcome suggestions for things I might dig based on what I've got on this list too...

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So since I last posted in this I've mostly been listening to Drake's 'mixtape' from February, f(x)'s Pink Tape from 2013 in celebration that they have a new album coming out supposedly any day now, and Kehlani's mixtape You Should Be Here which is pretty fuckin' great and no-one's mentioned it so far. It's mostly RnB but also gets a bit souly in parts. Linkies to songsies. Interesting life too, homeless Oakland girl to selling out tours in 4 years.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I've been listening to the new deafheaven album New Bermuda i think it might be better than sunbather. Also meow the jewels, big grams and I really want to listen to the New Kurt vile album. Also I am seeing this month literally in the span of 11 days deafheaven, Kurt vile and Mac Demarco October is gunna be rad.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Roomrunner

Didn't get much in September:

The new Battles album, La Di Da Di, certainly did not meet my high expectations. Their performance is still very impressive, and I do appreciate the decision to return to pure instrumentals (which they haven't done since their 2004 EPs). The album starts strong, but after the first 20 minutes, their sonic range just devolves into these insanely irritating high pitched tones. These dinky strikes, like on far right side of the piano scales, just rattle around, and it physically gives me a headache. (best song on here - "Dot Net")

Animal Collective has never been a band that has struck me as particulary good live. Vocally and musically, I've only known them to sound as half as good as their studio efforts. Maybe I've only seen them on off days, maybe they've gotten way better lateley, maybe they scrubbed up their new live album, Live At 9:30, really well. It's fucking fantastic. Aside from dragging out "New Town Burnout" and "Pulleys" for too long, and Panda Bear singing in the wrong key on "My Girls", every other song on here is riveting. If you've been curious about Animal Collective in the past, but didn't know where to start; or maybe you tried one of their albums before, and found the filler tracks to bring the rest of the album down - try this live album out. The setlist is great, and the performance is full of groovy energy. (Listen to this hard hitting version of "Monkey Riches")

The Radio Dept. unveiled their latest single, "This Repeated Sodomy". Thankfully, it won't be on the forthcoming album. There is nothing wrong with the song, but the shoegaze-pop style of it doesn't do anything for me. Hopefully, the album will be more like the dark and moody electronic single from the summer, "Occupied"... (anyway, here is "This Repeated Sodomy")

Sticking to Labrador Records, Club 8 has a new single (album in November) called "Love Dies". Club 8 is the kind of duo that gets away with whatever they want. Their early years were fluttery pop ballads that coasted on the affection of Karolina Komstedt's vocals alone. In 2010 they did a sort of world music inspired album called The People's Record, which was arguably their peak. "Love Dies" sticks to the breathy dream pop style of their last album, Above The City. Hopefully the other songs from the upcoming album will have more "umph" than this one... (You can listen to "Love Dies" here)

------------------------

October starts to pick up for me in a couple weeks.

Japanese classic rock band, The Birthday, has a new album coming out, which i have very high hopes for thanks to two incredible singles over the summer.

I love Laura Stevenson to death, and want to promote her every chance I get, but the singles I've heard from her upcoming album just sound like bland 90s radio friendly pop songs. She seems to have dropped her country-twang style entirely, which is surprising, as she seemed to finally find her place with 2013's Wheel. I'll be crossing my fingers for this one.

!!! has a new one just around the corner. The songs feel a lot more rude and bratty, which should appease those who preferred their aggressive early releases.

One of my best friends is unapologetically emo, and insists Beach Slang's debut LP is going to be the best thing to happen to 2015, so I guess that's on my radar now...

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roomrunner: I like the new Battles album but I do agree with you that it is disappointing and the second half of the album is a bit of a mess. I think for fans of the band it's worth checking out but if you are new to the band it's the worst place to start. In terms of best track it's a toss up between The Yabba and FF Bada.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Anyone who knows me knows I would say this, but that new Sevendust record...holy FUCK. So damn good! Kill the Flaw is probably the catchiest and most hook-driven album they've put out since Seasons, and the switch to drop A tuning also makes it one of their heaviest. There's more creativity and dynamics to their riffs and arrangements, and the melodies are undeniable. LJ's voice has never sounded better. I love that they just continue to perfect their songwriting after all these years, when they could be coasting by at this point in their 20+ year career. I'm so proud to call these guys my favorite band.

I also got the new Clutch album, Psychic Warfare, last week, but I haven't listened to it yet. Don't know what I'm waiting for, but I'll get to it soon. I bet it's pretty good.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: That's awesome news, I loved Pink Tape. That and Black Box from Brown Eyed Girls were actually two of my favorite albums from that year.

I've been kind of in a rut music-wise as I couldn't really get into either the new Beach House or the new Chvrches. I've only really been listening to the Big Boi x Phantogram collab EP lately, and I still need to check out the Drake/Future album.

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perilator666: Ha, I've just been thinking of Giles Corey quite a bit. Thinking of splurging a bit for the vinyl release that The Flenser is going to put out, but $43 is an awful lot and I shouldn't be spending that much money. But man, I reaaaaaally like that album. I need to give the Black Wing album another listen soon, but it didn't catch me in nearly the same way that Have a Nice Life or Giles Corey have.

Onto other things…

The new Deafheaven album's out and I'm not sure what I think about it. Sunbather took a little bit of time to fully latch into me, so hopefully this does the same, but it's leaving me a little cold. There are some sublime moments in there, but boy there's some cheesy stuff in there too.

There've been a ton of albums I've really liked this year, but I can hardly think of any of them right about now. That new Julia Holter album is p. decent; that album from Helen gives me enough of my Liz Harris fix to be OK with not having a Grouper album in a while. Low's newest album is fine but like everything else they've done in the last decade or so only serves to remind me that they were once so much better. Etc.

L1fef0rm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By L1fef0rm

@roomrunner: I've been a huge Squarepusher fan since the mid to late '90s. Been to quite a few of his shows (always an incredible experience). That said, Damogen Furies is the first album he has released that has done absolutely nothing for me. I am not saying its bad, its his vision and it would be wrong to suggest making something that would cater to what I want. Damogen just sounds harsh, in a way I can't really explain. I will revisit after some time to see if anything changes. Sorry about the Pusher rant. As for music I've been listening to this year, here is a list in no particular order.

• Future Sound of London - Archive 8
  • Venetian Snares - Thank You For Your Consideration
  • Retape - Brayks #1
  • Missqulator - They Rave Us
  • The Orb -Moonbuilding 2703 AD
  • Legowelt - Anaconda Flow
  • Ceephax Acid Crew - Charismatic Integrity Slam
  • EOD - EOD31, EODS2, EODS3
  • Aphex Twin's Soundcloud page under name user18081971
  • Honorable mention to VHS Head - Persistence of Vision (2014), one of my favorite albums of the past decade, highly recommended listening!

Sorry, I really love techno. Also fond of some rock and hiphop, its just that I can't think of anything notable this year, I have found some things other bombers have suggested that sound pretty great. I love talking music and was very happy to see this thread. Hope I helped some.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For fans of 90's grunge here's a new "supergroup" comprised of members from Soundgarden, Qotsa, Pearl Jam and OFF!

Ten Commando's

Band Members

Mark Lanegan - Vocals (Qotsa)

Ben Shepherd - Bass (Soundgarden)

Alain Johannes - Guitar (Qotsa collaborator, Desert Sessions)

Dimitri Coats - Guitar + some vocals(i think...OFF!)

Matt Cameron - Drums (Pearl Jam)

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to say that Carly Rae Jepsen's Emotion from earlier this year is legitimately fantastic. Seriously it's great.

That's it.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By 49th

Really liking the new Eagles of Death Metal album surprisingly after not being super exciting about it. I think it's probably my favourite album from them, I managed to get a signed copy too which is cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo88gc9w3ik

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really enjoying the new Protomartyr album "The Agent Intellect". Peep the track below.

https://youtu.be/RdwWJxqt-pw

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

@paulmako said:

Just to say that Carly Rae Jepsen's Emotion from earlier this year is legitimately fantastic. Seriously it's great.

That's it.

Yup. It's pop music at its finest.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By kasaioni
No Caption Provided

New Order's newest release, "Music Complete". A refreshing return to form mixed with some fresh sounds after their lukewarm 2001 and 2005 releases. Rock and synthesizer infused dance music with both upbeat and melancholic lyrical themes, i.e. standard New Order. It proves the Peter Hook is not needed (or missed) for New Order to continue to make successful music. And it more than qualifies to be included among the ranks of Brotherhood and Technique.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just a PSA: The new Grimes album is great.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako said:

I can see it alienating a lot of old fans but holy shit if this isn't one of the finest pop albums I've heard this year. Thought Carly Rae Jepsen was a lock for best pop record of 2015 but the eccentric flair of Grimes and some fantastic songwriting has toppled it. I personally thought Visions, though it had some amazing singles, was really low on ideas and kind of dragged. Ironically though this album is the most 'accessible' and 'orthodox' album she's released by a country mile it has more risks and ideas than any other albums shes put out. I love it.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#182  Edited By Milkman

I know everyone is foaming at the mouth over "Hello" recently but Carla Morrison is over here doing Adele better than Adele. Her new album is called Amor Supremo and it's great.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Doom Fortress by Voyag3r

80's based, john carpenter inspired, cinematic anthems.

lots of synths, real drums, and rock guitar.

shit slays, even if you weren't raised on straight-to-video post apocalypse movies.

bandcamp

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By AlexW00d

If you like weird electro rap music whatever I've found a girl (group possibly??) from Japan who goes by the name Suiyobi no Campanella. It's fun and she has has fun doing it and I like it.

There's a fairly normal song called Napoleon and then there's a more interesting one and then there's one that gets a bit more dancey and then there's one that gets super weird and trippy af then there's a mostly acoustic halloween song and all of her videos are great cause obviously she's having the most fun ever.

Then there's Lim Kim's EP from April which I found a few weeks ago which I really like.

THEN, there's f(x)'s new album 4 Walls which I'm isn't nearly as good as the last two, but still ok. It kinda progresses from Red Light in a way you'd expect but at the same time has a lot less character. Still enjoyable enough though, with Diamond, Traveller and Papi as the stand out tracks.

E: Also the title track to that album is possibly the first Kpop video I've seen that completely forgoes the girls performing the song in anyway, and that's quite refreshing tbh.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako said:

World Princess part II is so good! I also really like that new version of Realiti, I played the demo version all summer long so a new take on it was a really good idea to put on the album.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redyoshi: I do miss the prominent synth line being relegated to minor variation kinda bummed me out though.... Because that synth melody mad me wet

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Milkman

Joining the chorus re: the dopeness of the new Grimes record. It's for sure very different than Visions but that's fine by me, I much prefer when an artist has a distinct sound for each new project.

Disclaimer though, I still haven't made it all the way through the album because I end up getting to Kill V. Maim and just playing that on repeat the rest of the day.

Okay, finally pulled myself from the repeat button and oh my god Venus Fly. That bass, what a jam.

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By YummyTreeSap

I very, very much do not like the new Grimes album. I can recognize it as well-made or whatever, but it's just about as far from my sort of thing as you can get. Whereas a lot of her past work offered some experiments on the pop format and I liked it for that, you've gotta really have a love of, like, K-pop and actual real Top 40 pop music of the late 90s to present to get anything from this album, I think.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Roomrunner

Unless the new Club 8 album out in a couple days really blows my mind (not expecting it to), this is what will most likely make up my top ten.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really enjoying Coheed and Cambria's "The Colour Before the Sun" album. Atlas is a great track.

Oprahtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• The two new Beach House records are pretty good.
  • Big Grams by Big Grams is pretty sweet
  • Another One by Mac Demarco is great
  • New Modest Mouse thing was good
  • Star Wars by Wilco was pretty good but definitely not my favorite by them
  • Another Eternity by Purity Ring
  • St Vincent. God i love her
  • Carrie and Lowell by Sufjan Stevens is very sweet
  • Glitterbug by The Wombats is very fun

Pretty random list but whatever, its just what i had on the top of my head

CcFfBb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I listened to the new Stryper album called Fallen yesterday. One of their songs called "Yahweh" was co-written by Clint Lowery from Sevendust. My first rock concert ever was Monster Magnet (opening), Sevendust, then MegaDeth. That was a long time ago. Anyway, I enjoyed the album from Stryper and I hope to listen to it again soon.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By mellotronrules

i like about half the tunes on the new grimes- the other half, not so much. curious to see how the new stuff informs her live show.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yo... yo yo yo yo yo, the singles from the upcoming Baroness album are dope.

dengou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been listening to Kangding Ray's new album "Cory Arcane" non-stop since release. Last year's release was already pretty hefty but this time he's moved onto even more minimal techno. Probably his most accessible album to-date although I got a distant feeling of Vladislav Delay in some of the songs, which is great.

Also pretty psyched about Bersarin Quartett's "III". I didn't get into "II" and thought that it wasn't much of an improvement but I'm glad he tried out a few things that make a much better impression this time. On that point, also on Denovali Records, Subheim's new release "Foray" is an interesting listen. Never was a big fan of his work but having that on in the background is quite relaxing.

And if you want to listen to an electronica album that sounds like Blade Runner, look out for Lewis James "G A P S" on Bandcamp. It's dope.

The Flenser

While Black Wing doens't really catch me (I enjoyed both Giles Corey and the first Have A Nice Life, but everything after that kind of left me cold) another realese from Flenser took me by surprise this year: Heat Dust's self-titled. Maybe because I'm just a sucker for post-punk. Bad ass album.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By davidh219

I mostly listen to bands that are long broken up anyway, but this has been a pretty dry year for me. Literally just three releases I really care about:

• Coheed and Cambria's Color Before the Sun. It's an overwhelmingly poppy record, and I'm ever so mildly disappointed. Still has some damn masterpieces though, like Island and Atlas.
  • Iron Maiden's The Book of Souls. It's very good. Better than I was expecting, and I always have high hopes because Maiden brings it.
  • Silversun Pickups Better Nature. It was neither better or worse than I was expecting, so pretty good.

There was a new Muse album, but I thought it was fucking terrible. Not that I've ever been a huge Muse fan anyway. The Resistance is their only really great album, imo. There was also a new Sleater-Kinney album, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm sure it's very good though. Maybe I'll go do that now...

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love that new Grimes album.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Roomrunner

Well, here is everything else I got for the rest of the year (probably):

The latest !!! is... good enough. I expected better, since their last effort was one of my fav albums of that year. !!! is a disco band with a little bit of piss & vinegar to their lyrics. "Freedom 15" is one of my favorite songs of the year, but most of their new album, As if, feels like too much messing around in the studio. Some really good moments, but you gotta wade through a lotta fluff to get to them.

The Birthday is so good! They're so damn good, you guys! Their careless use of "English words that sound cool to us" is a bit silly, but if you can look past it they're practically a flawless rock & roll band. Chiba Yusuke's voice, their pacing, the guitar solos... aaaaaaa! If you can't find their newest album, Blood And Love Circusanywhere, the US iTunes store has their old stuff.

Just like her good friend, Jeff Rosenstock, I wish I could sing the praises of the latest Laura Stevenson album, but her old stuff is better. The singles have this "catchy bland radio riff" stink on them that doesn't suit her, and the best songs on here have already been done better. If you've never heard Laura's stuff before, you may be smitten by Cocksure, but it hardly left an impression on me.

Sticking with Don Giovanni Records, I was surprised a few weeks ago by a new Noun album! Noun is a Marissa Paternoster (Screaming Females) side project. Marissa indulges on her goth fascination on this second Noun album, giving it much more personality than the debut. I cannot overstate how HARD they go for it. It's called Throw Your Body On The Gears And Stop The Machines With Your Blood. Even the album cover looks like something she probably drew in her high-school notebook. There is nothing amazing about this album, but I've been listening to it a lot for the last few weeks while I play The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth.

I totally missed on a new CocoRosie release in September. They're this artsy freak-folk duo, with all the vocal talent in the world, but are just bathing in "pretentious" affectations. I completely understand why they would turn a lot of people off, but they put out just enough good songs on every album for me to always pay attention and just sit back and enjoy the show. The intention of their latest album, Heartache City, is to focus less on layered melodies, and more on their vocals. A good idea on paper, but their cooing starts to grate on my ears without interesting beats carrying them along. The first half has a few good songs, like "Un Beso", but a bad string of songs in the middle just kill it, and by the end I couldn't wait for it to be over.

...oh yeah, I also listened to that Club 8 album, Pleasure, while writing this. My hot take is that it's short and forgetablte. SIgh, I really miss when Labrador Recors (and Swedish bands in general) were absolutely killing it.

There is nothing else coming out this year that I know of, so I'm just gonna get started on "best of" lists, and trying to write up on everything i've heard. I get more on depth on some of the records mentioned above here, but still have a few more to do. I still would like to write about the two Polysics EPs released this year, and two L'Orange albums (which I love, but feel wholly unqualified to do so).

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#199  Edited By L33T_HAXOR

I really, really, really like Elle King's album "Love Stuff". The single "Ex's and Oh's" is great of course, but there are other standout tracks like "Where the Devil Don't Go" and "Jackson". The whole album is solid.

dengou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just reminded myself that milo made a new album just a few months ago. So the flies don't come might be my favorite album this year. He already had an album out under his scallops hotel project but I kind of like his milo stuff a lot more and this is no exception. Milo is just exceptionally great.