New PC Power Supply Question

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By MAST

I'm building a new PC and am trying to make sure I have a power supply that is good enough. I currently own this one. I'm wanting to see if it is enough to run the new stuff I'm buying:

If I do need a better power supply, and anyone feels like suggesting one, that'd be great. Also, if anyone has a better suggestion for parts that are still around a similar price, I'm all ears. It's been so long since I've bought a PC that I'm kinda clueless now. Especially about motherboards.

Thanks!

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By korwin

Is there any reason why you've chosen to buy a 2 gen old CPU? It's not like there is any reason to avoid Haswell, hell if anything it will only help since the old Sandy Bridge parts are limited to PCI-E 2.0 instead of PCI-E 3.0 and the IPC is about 15% higher. It's the exact same money for a 4770K so I'm just a little baffled.

As far as the juice is concerned a 550-650W power supply should be fine. Personally I like this unit, it's quiet and very efficient.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MAST

@korwin said:

Is there any reason why you've chosen to buy a 2 gen old CPU? It's not like there is any reason to avoid Haswell, he'll if anything it will only help since the old Sandy Bridge parts are limited to PCI-E 2.0 instead of PCI-E 3.0 and the IPC is about 15% higher. It's the exact same money for a 4770K so I'm just a little baffled.

Only reason was I don't really know anything about computer parts anymore. I just sorted it by "Best Reviews" or "Highest Reviews" and went with what seemed most favorable. I'll go check out a Haswell right now.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MAST
korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mast said:

@korwin:

So here's what I'm looking at now. Lemme know if that's decent if you don't mind. ;)

Yeah that's what you want, you will however need to choose a different motherboard (Haswell isn't pin compatible with Z77). Look for an equivalent Z87 board, something like this or this.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin:

Alrighty, got the new motherboard and CPU added. Will the RAM I have work? I just got to looking at it's specifications tab, and it says it works with "Intel LGA 1155/1156" but doesn't mention "LGA 1150" so I thought I'd double check.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mast said:

@korwin:

Alrighty, got the new motherboard and CPU added. Will the RAM I have work? I just got to looking at it's specifications tab, and it says it works with "Intel LGA 1155/1156" but doesn't mention "LGA 1150" so I thought I'd double check.

Yeah that's fine, they just likely haven't updated the product page.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin:

Ok, great! Thanks so much for the help. Greatly appreciated!

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For less than a hundred more you could pick up a 770 which I personally think would be the better buy considering the performance. I would suggest sticking with that 760 if that's what your budget will only allow or if you plan on getting that to sit on while you wait for the next gen video cards next year that should be having a good bump in performance and will last a lot longer, but if you're planning on getting the one card to have for a long time then you're better off with a 770 not a 760.

mao16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By mao16

@mast: I'm going to necro this thread a bit but it's important enough to warrant it.

When it comes to Power Supplies in PCs this is the one part you absolutely can't cut corners on if you want stability and a long lifespan. This is the one part where price and brand essentially equals quality. To keep it simple this thread explains what you should look for in a review better than I can.

Your other parts seem fine if they are what you want performance wise and meet your budget. The only thing that hasn't been mentioned already is the motherboard. If you can find something cheaper using the latest revisions that only has one PCIe slot if you don't plan to sli\crossfire there's no reason to pay extra for the motherboard. Something that has less SATA and usb3 slots will probably also be cheaper. Unless you actually need 4SSDs and 4HDDs.

Finally, I know newegg is great and all but if you can find a local store that sells parts at the same price go with them. If you haven't done this in a while it will make troubleshooting if things go wrong much faster.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By bybeach

I had to hunt to find this, should be under pc. Power supply strikes me as fine, but that is just a guess...it's got good reviews it seems and 630 watts seems sufficient. Used though.

Now for the reason I am also posting. Check out the review by CrisUrbane below the cpu you have chosen, at New egg. I never laughed so hard, though the guy seems to really know his stuff. You can't miss it, it is I bekieve the accompanied user review. Read it, read all of it. The guy's written communication skill is so awkward it rocks, writes just like he verbalizes. Why though this 4 year old processor I would ask, old 1155 chipset.(my 950-I7 bloomfield is even older, 1366)

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By korwin

@bybeach: @mao16: All of these things have been covered, dudes all good ;)