#1 Posted by Obesio (9 posts) -

So I got bored of waiting for my subscriptions to have new videos on Youtube, and decided to search around for cool video game related things. I stumbled upon this website. I've heard of it many times before, but I've never really checked it out. I've been looking around it for a couple days and watching random videos and I'm thinking it's really interesting. My only problem is I'm not really sure how to use the site to it's fullest potential. I'm having difficulty navigating through the site (on my own error, not the site's) and I'm not really sure what I should watch first since there's so much to catch up on here. I'd love if anyone could recommend their favorite videos or podcasts on here it would be awesome. I've been watching a lot of the Quick Looks and I'm currently listening to the newest 8-4 Play, but beyond that I'm lost. Thanks for every recommendation.

#2 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4233 posts) -

Welcome to the site! Everyone's probably watching the Unprofessional Fridays stream right now. These compilation videos are usually pretty good.

This is one of my more favorite QL's.

And, you know, the rest of the site, you probably just need to find out for yourself. Unless you ask about something specifically, its pretty cool site.

#3 Posted by FLStyle (4765 posts) -

Someone should make a thread for new users and then sticky it at the top of the forums with all the legendary GB videos because I'm always forgetting some.

#4 Edited by csl316 (8939 posts) -
#5 Edited by TheBrainninja (191 posts) -

Welcome! I highly recommend checking out the Bombcast, as it was one of the jumping-off points for me back in the day - and listening all the way through the archives recently brought me back to where I first came in, which has been a real treat.

The Quick Look that got me to sit up and realize I needed more o' these folks in my life was the Dead Island quick look, and I assume it holds up.

Aside from that, have fun duder! Stay awhile and enjoy the shenanigans.

#6 Edited by LTSmash (637 posts) -

You picked a good time to hop in, since Giant Bomb's Game of the Year content is always bananas.

#7 Edited by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

You're finally here!

#8 Edited by csl316 (8939 posts) -

I gotta point out that the community routinely makes great stuff that's all over Youtube at this point.

^ An important conversation that broke out while video games were happening.

#9 Edited by pyrodactyl (2178 posts) -

@obesio:

@csl316 said:

@flstyle: I have a handful in the About Me section of my profile. I'd argue that they're all essential.

@obesio

Here you go, gives these a shot. And welcome!

You should put the #teambrad segment in its entirety instead of jumping to the end though. Nowhere near the same amount of hype if you haven't watched like 5 or 6 hours of brad in that mile high club level in breaking brad and the big live live show. I was literaly jumping in the air when I saw that clip live.

#10 Posted by TMBaker (231 posts) -

#11 Edited by DeadpanCakes (979 posts) -

These're good to catch you up on some of the older bombcasts

This'll help you find particular Quick Looks as you start to figure out which of the crew you like most

Best of Quick Looks Compilation series which is actually how I got started

In terms of actual videos, this is probably one of my favorite Quick Looks (Sleeping Dogs Halloween DLC)

Also check out this 49-hour live stream they did, Brad did the first 25 solo, and the other guys took over for the second half

Lastly, welcome to the site!

Edit: Oh yes! And actually the thing that brought me to the site in the first place: the Persona 4 Endurance Run (Which is essentially a play-through). Vastly entertaining, but very much time consuming, but if you have 100 hours (give or take a minute), then I would highly recommend it. Thing is though, I'd maybe recommend you play P4 first if you haven't, though I'm sure some would disagree.

#12 Posted by CornBREDX (5593 posts) -

There's so much content that "catching up" will take a very long time so I recommend just going to page 1 of quick looks, or endurance runs (depending on how much of one game you want to watch) and just go.

Welcome to the site. I haven't noticed anyone say they just happened along the site before so it's good to know that still happens =)

#13 Posted by csl316 (8939 posts) -
#14 Posted by MikeFerrari7 (209 posts) -

Welcome to a video game site with a pretty awesome and friendly community. You! That's right, you, reading this right now. You're pretty rad.

#15 Edited by Buneroid (428 posts) -

You're welcome and welcome to the site. Your life has now been changed whether you realize it or not.

Also if you want to see how the site got started search for "how to build a bomb" on the site or youtube. Really frickin nostalgic and weird watching what this site used to be.

#16 Posted by Disaya (290 posts) -
#17 Edited by TurboMan (7604 posts) -

Welcome to the site! Everyone's probably watching the Unprofessional Fridays stream right now. These compilation videos are usually pretty good.

:'(

#19 Posted by jkz (4039 posts) -

Yo watch the Persona 4 Endurance Run. It seems like it's long but...just start it and see how you feel.

#20 Edited by HatKing (6021 posts) -

@obesio: Welcome! This is the best video game community on the internet. Quick Looks are a great place to start, and there are a lot of them. The Bombcast is probably the next most important feature, and there's quite the back catalog for that too if you're interested (but with game of the year stuff around the corner, you picked a great time to jump in). Beyond that, the Endurance Runs are pretty dang entertaining, and frequently referenced in the forums.

Here's a handy website somebody (I'd give credit if I knew) made, QLcrew.com. That's a really handy place to search for and watch Quick Looks. In fact, I've been loading up a playlist before bed each night recently.

If you have any questions, just ask. I, and I'm sure hundreds of other duders, will be more than willing to assist.

#21 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4233 posts) -

@turboman said:

@blu3v3nom07 said:

Welcome to the site! Everyone's probably watching the Unprofessional Fridays stream right now. These compilation videos are usually always pretty good. Let me see the results.

#22 Posted by JayEH (535 posts) -

Make sure you listen to the Bombcast, its the "official" podcast. The 8-4 podcast isn't related to the site Giant Bomb just hosts the podcasts on this site for them.

#23 Edited by TurboMan (7604 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07 said:

@turboman said:

@blu3v3nom07 said:

Welcome to the site! Everyone's probably watching the Unprofessional Fridays stream right now. These compilation videos are usually always pretty good.

:D

#24 Edited by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6297 posts) -

@obesio: Welcome to Giant Bomb! If you hqven't already done so, please check out our FAQ. It's stickied at the top of the forums, or can be foind here - http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/giant-bomb-faq-forums-wiki-mods-557971/#1

I'll jump in later to edit this with a direct link.

#25 Posted by csl316 (8939 posts) -
#26 Posted by falserelic (5463 posts) -

Welcome to the site GB homie. You'll find all kindzzz of entertainment on this site, and weird stuff such as this.

#27 Edited by Obesio (9 posts) -

Thanks for all the help everyone! I listened to the latest Bombcast last night before bed, and I'm watching through "How to Build a Bomb" as suggested by @buneroid and I'm loving it. Behind the scenes type videos are always great for me. I just wish I could find some kind of "Archive" that just has all the videos in one place. I'm sure there is one and I'm just looking in all the wrong places, but beyond that I'm loving everything!

#28 Edited by Disaya (290 posts) -

@falserelic said:

Welcome to the site GB homie. You'll find all kindzzz of entertainment on this site, and weird stuff such as this.

I thought I would just watch a few minutes of this but I ended up watching the whole thing, so my day is off to a great start. Now I'm just getting the Steve Wilkos show in my youtube recommendations.

#29 Posted by falserelic (5463 posts) -

@disaya said:

@falserelic said:

I thought I would just watch a few minutes of this but I ended up watching the whole, so my day is off to a great start. Now I'm just getting the Steve Wilkos show in my youtube recommendations.

LOL! not too long ago I went on a marathon just watching the Steve Wilko show, it was just good ole fun for shits and giggles!

This parody does a good job at showing how the show can be like sometimes.

#30 Edited by Xeiphyer (5606 posts) -

Welcome duder!

The harry potter quick look is amaaaazing too. There are seriously so much great content on the site now.

#31 Posted by Buneroid (428 posts) -

@obesio: Ya a playlist type thing would be nice especially if you start getting into the Persona 4 Endurance Run. If you want to start getting into old quicklooks and stuff http://qlcrew.com/ is a fantastic site made by @szlifier.

#32 Posted by jimmyfenix (3858 posts) -

Welcome buddy.

#33 Posted by csl316 (8939 posts) -

@obesio said:

Thanks for all the help everyone! I listened to the latest Bombcast last night before bed, and I'm watching through "How to Build a Bomb" as suggested by @buneroid and I'm loving it. Behind the scenes type videos are always great for me. I just wish I could find some kind of "Archive" that just has all the videos in one place. I'm sure there is one and I'm just looking in all the wrong places, but beyond that I'm loving everything!

Ah, it's been a while since How to Build a Bomb. That thing just gives me an appreciation of what these guys built out of nothing.

#34 Posted by dungbootle (2458 posts) -

Welcome to Giant Bomb!

#35 Edited by Bait003 (37 posts) -

@obesio: as a user of this site for the past couple of years.....this community will/has pointed you in the correct direction to explore but otherwise i would say simple find what you like/enjoy of this site of following those bits. sidenote: if you have access to the pathfinder videos.....amazing intro to past/present staff of giantbomb. i hope they do more pathfinder videos.........please!!!.

and most importantly...welcome i hope you have "interesting times" here....i know i have :)

#36 Posted by SSully (4231 posts) -

@csl316 said:

I gotta point out that the community routinely makes great stuff that's all over Youtube at this point.

^ An important conversation that broke out while video games were happening.

How have I never seen this?!?!?!!?

#37 Edited by Tireyo (6445 posts) -

You'll come to find out that this site is far better than YouTube. Also, as long as you love games and cause no drama in the forums, Giant Bomb will love you back. Have fun, and explore a little! Sometimes the best things you find is by accident.

#38 Posted by CornBREDX (5593 posts) -

@obesio: Most the behind the scenes type stuff is subscriber videos now but you can still find some of the older ones under videos>features and maybe videos>events (their sorting of the non game play stuff has always been confusing haha).

It's a crime this still hasn't been posted.

#39 Posted by csl316 (8939 posts) -
#40 Posted by Demoskinos (15010 posts) -

@buneroid: They used to have the HTML5 theater mode for thr video player which allowed for video playlists. It was one of my favorite features but everytime I bring up missing it nobody seems to care about it.

#41 Posted by Buneroid (428 posts) -

@demoskinos: Oh ya I do remember that now that you mention it. Was that right before the Cbsi office? I don't remember at all.

#42 Posted by RonGalaxy (3219 posts) -

@obesio: Here's my recommendation for getting into this site

Just peruse. Hover over the video tab above and click on one of the things.

• Popular and Latest speak for themselves.
  • Endurance is a collection of videos of the dudes Lets playing games. They have done this for Persona 4, Deadly Premonition (there are actually 2 sets for this game) , and Chrono Trigger.
  • Events is for things like PAX, E3, GDC, all that good stuff.
  • Extra Life is a yearly stream the guys do to support Extra Life (a charity for childrens hospitals); they stream for a long time and take donations from viewers, which they donate to a childrens hospital of their choice. They recently did one which ran for 49 hours straight.
  • Features is every piece of content internally produced by this site. So this is (basically) every video they have made ordered by date.
  • Quick Looks are when the guys play a newly released video game for a little bit (30 minutes or more of gameplay). This is a good tool to use when you're looking into buying a game, but aren't sure yet (they give lots of impressions and go over details about the game).
  • Reviews is for video reviews (which they no longer do).
  • Subscriber is for all content that requires a subscription to the site (TNT, UPF, etc).
  • TANG is a series done by the late Ryan Davis where he talks in-depth about movies based on games.
  • Trailers is trailers.

That's all I got. Hope this helps!

#43 Posted by Demoskinos (15010 posts) -

@buneroid: They still had it awhile at the cbsi office before they launched the new site.

#44 Edited by Coafi (1490 posts) -

GLHB

#45 Posted by Obesio (9 posts) -

@naru_joe93: That's perfect! Thank you. I do plan on subscribing once I have money again. I'm currently between jobs so I'm broke at the moment. It's not like a membership costs a lot.

#46 Edited by Superkenon (1452 posts) -
#47 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1063 posts) -

The Quick Look that got me to sit up and realize I needed more o' these folks in my life was the Dead Island quick look, and I assume it holds up.

The TNT was amazing, they need trucks in every game!