Newcomer Shows on FOX Look Strong

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

IGN just ran a comprehensive article on all the newcomer shows airing on FOX later this year, and it looks like a rather promising bunch overall...

Couldn't help but chuckle at the trailer for J.J. Abrams new show "Almost Human". I'm not quite sure if I'll genuinely like it, or just like it ironically - but I'll definitely like it one way or the other. It looks like it's your average tv crime procedural meets Isaac Asimov and Philip K. Dick - as far as premises go, I hardly can't be on-board with that.

RAKE looks absolutely amazing. Aside from Greg Kinnear doing his best RDJ impression (which isn't a bad thing), the whole absurd, but believable, la-la-land vibe of the show is rather endearing to me. I think I'll love RAKE a lot. It's stupid good fun, like falling in love with a prostitute.

I also liked the trailers for Brookly Nine-Nine, Enlisted, Us & Them, Gang Related - overall I've gotten an overwhelmingly positive first impression of Fox' newcomer show Fall catalogue. Fox is on a roll, it seems. Unlike NBC - its newcomer shows are definitely more something to laugh at. 30 Rock got it right, it's like NBC is tanking on purpose. I mean, Ironside is essentially Wheels and the Legman. Dracula looks admittedly sexy, though on basic cable tv, it will never be sexy enough.

Watcha' think? Got any favorites?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By EXTomar

I guess I'll find out when they appear on Netflix.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

How soon Fox cancels something is generally a good barometer for how good the show actually is. I guess we'll find out the true quality of any of these shows if they don't make it past the first season or two.

Almost Human looks really cool, though. It has a pretty neat premise and some solid production values, plus Karl Urban is the shit. Definitely going to have to check that one out.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Almost Human looks like something I would love to watch.
I guess RAKE is something I could enjoy now and again if I happen to stumble upon an episode.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Almost Human, huh? The cyborgs kinda reminds me of the androids in the Swedish Sci-fi show Real Humans (Ekte Menniskor)

Definitely going to check it out.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EXTomar

Oddly enough, Fox will show in 2014 a "update" (is it really a remake?) of Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By DocHaus

Skimmed through similar lists at TV IV of all four networks.

ABC has Zombie Coulson of SHIELD by the Whedons and a couple of comedies written by semi-famous actors who have earned their dues.

CBS is doubling down on its shows for old people and those that can't change the channel (though one of them has Robin Williams I think?).

NBC is returning Community and Parks and Rec and Grimm while adding modern-day Dracula, a Michael J. Fox show and what appears to be a real-life "Wheels and the Legman" except played straight (EDIT: OP already made that joke? Fuck).

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Animasta

the only new TV I'm really interested in is the under the dome miniseries

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onekillwonder_ said:

How soon Fox cancels something is generally a good barometer for how good the show actually is. I guess we'll find out the true quality of any of these shows if they don't make it past the first season or two.

Then I'd urge you to watch Terra Nova.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By MariachiMacabre
Loading Video...

Yeah, you know...like Sleepy Hollow...

lol

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ripelivejam

bit of an aside but thanks nbc for renewing community when the real fans stopped caring.

e: maybe they can get jim rash to write/direct all the episodes next season. just give him all the money the rest of the staff would have gotten to compensate. also tons of energy drinks.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Scrawnto

Yeah, you know...like Sleepy Hollow...

lol

I guess they can't all be winners

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KARL URBAN GETTIN' HIS.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Almost Human looks like someone put Blade Runner, Alien Nation, and the movie of I, Robot in a blender. Interesting.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By wjb
Loading Video...

Check and fucking mate.

NYC's toughest cop, AND HE IS IN A WHEELCHAIR!

(not saying television characters cannot be disabled -- sup drake -- but man, this is like when you watch a movie or show and the characters are watching a fake show that is so ridiculous it cannot be real; e.g. Will Ferrell's Bitch Hunter in 30 Rock)

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see it was already mentioned. My bad.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rebgav
KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

@minipato said:

@onekillwonder_ said:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. I've never watched but I've heard both good and bad things about it.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll just drop this here for the people who didn't realize that something on American Dad was a reference to an old TV show;

Loading Video...

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By oraknabo

I haven't enjoyed network shows for a really long time. I tried a few, but didn't get hooked by any of them. I would watch both of the shows in the original post though. It looks like RAKE is targeted at people who really miss House but seems original enough to still be interesting.

For people watching HBO shows, Family Tree seems promising. It's basically an episodic Christopher Guest movie.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By oraknabo

@onekillwonder_: Terra Nova is incredibly generic and boring. It had a decent premise but they forced so much generic family crap into it and tried to appeal to way too wide an audience. I gave Revolution a chance too and it was equally bad.

That Headless Horseman trailer looks like a parody it's so bad.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@rebgav:

I definitely know that intro tune, it has been remixed to no end. Wasn't aware of the show Ironside though. I think the original Ironside never aired around my parts. That makes the whole *Lone Wolf Detective in a Wheelcheer* angle less preposterous. A majority of today's audience will inevitably think of Wheels and the Legman first though.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli: It's a pretty good intro theme, the rest of the show was not so good.

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Almost Human looks interesting, but it also looks like it could turn out to be a bog-standard police procedural with a few sci-fi elements thrown in. Not holding my breath for any of these.

By the way, does anyone remember The Sarah Connor Chronicles? I actually enjoyed that show while it was on. Shame it was cancelled.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Looks a lot like the last season of Fringe with a built-in Deux Ex Machina. I don't know man … I am not that desperate for Sci-Fi.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minipato said:

@onekillwonder_ said:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. I've never watched but I've heard both good and bad things about it.

I've managed to catch a few episodes when it was still on the air and it never caught on for me. As far as I can remember, it was a show about dinosaurs with a bootleg version of "the others" from Lost and forced family segments cause the suits demanded it. Apparently it gets interesting toward the end, but that's not exactly high praise if the rest of it isn't. Unless you thought season 2 of The Walking Dead was absolutely amazing cause it had an okay mid and end season finale, then I guess it could be for you. Speaking of which, I'm not to terribly gaga for that show either, so our tastes could be completely different. In Terra Nova's case, I agree with FOX's cancellation. They didn't cancel it cause it was good, they cancelled it because it was expensively bland. Trust me, it is no Firefly.

Almost Human looks pretty cool, but it definitely seems like one of those shows that is too expensive to keep if it isn't performing 110%.

Rake...looks like it has too much shit going on to the point of gimmickry. Lawyer who has gambling debts, falls in love with a prostitute, car pools with steretypical old Asian guy who doesn't speak english for cheap laughs, defending a cannibal, is being monitored by the IRS and is being stalked by some crazy ex.

Brooklyn Nine Nine could be alright. But that trailer alone had overloaded my tolerance for Andy Samberg. Not that I don't like Andy Samberg, but with any comedic actor like Will Ferrel or Jim Carey, if they are constantly over the top, I find myself tiring of them real quick.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

@minipato said:

@onekillwonder_ said:

@minipato said:

@onekillwonder_ said:

I've managed to catch a few episodes when it was still on the air and it never caught on for me. As far as I can remember, it was a show about dinosaurs with a bootleg version of "the others" from Lost and forced family segments cause the suits demanded it. Apparently it gets interesting toward the end, but that's not exactly high praise if the rest of it isn't. Unless you thought season 2 of The Walking Dead was absolutely amazing cause it had an okay mid and end season finale, then I guess it could be for you. Speaking of which, I'm not to terribly gaga for that show either, so our tastes could be completely different. In Terra Nova's case, I agree with FOX's cancellation. They didn't cancel it cause it was good, they cancelled it because it was expensively bland. Trust me, it is no Firefly.

Well of course there are exceptions to the rule. I can't defend Terra Nova one way or the other, but when you look the tons of other great shows FOX has cancelled over the years, it's hard not to think something is screwy over there. Human Target, Fastlane, Undeclared, K-Ville, Andy Richter Controls the Universe, The Lone Gunmen, Millennium, Grounded for Life, The Tick, Brisco County Jr, Futurama, Titus, Greg the Bunny, Firefly...all really good to fucking great shows they gave the axe to. Not to mention other shows that I never watched myself but I know have high praise, like John Doe, Keen Eddie, The Sarah Connor Chronicles. And obviously Arrested Development, which I've honestly never cared for myself, but it's hard to ignore the show's rabid fan base.

I'm thankful that Prison Break even got 4 seasons. It was supposed to have one more, but given that the final season was kind of weird compared to the others, maybe it was for the best.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Wasn't Almost Human a BBC show? It looks pretty awesome, but I could've sworn I saw it being featured on Netflix a while ago....

NM, that's Being Human. Completely different.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dalai

Hurry up and comment before the wrath of CBS comes down and shuts down this topic!

But seriously, I haven't cared that much about network TV in years.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By zeforgotten

@atomic_dumpling said:
@zeforgotten said:

Looks a lot like the last season of Fringe with a built-in Deux Ex Machina. I don't know man … I am not that desperate for Sci-Fi.

Neither am I, but dumb sci-fi that doesn't take itself too seriously is something I'm all for.
I'm not gonna call it the most amazing thing yet though but I did love that trailer.

If the show turns out to be garbage I'll just watch the trailer again.

@butano I think you're thinking of "Being Human".
I could be wrong though

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Andorski

I'm somewhat intrigued by Almost Human solely because of Karl Urban. The only other new series I've seen that looks decent is The Michael J. Fox Show. That show might have a chance so long as they know the whole Parkinson's bit will get tiring after the first episode.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I'll check out Almost Human, and maybe that goofy looking Sleepy Hollow show.

As far as NBC goes, Believe having Alfonso Cuaron (and to a lesser extent J.J. Abrams too) attached means I'll definitely check it out. Maybe Crisis as well.

But Almost Human and Believe seem right up my alley.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atomic_dumpling said:
@zeforgotten said:

Neither am I, but dumb sci-fi that doesn't take itself too seriously is something I'm all for.

Fair enough. I love http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raumpatrouille (which is 100% cheese), so maybe I'll switch off my brain an go with the Urban flow.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Both look like pretty good procedurals, but I just don't really have patience for such a thing anymore, aside from the twisted ambition of Hannibal. I haven't heard much of Believe, but being from Alfonso Cuaron means I kind of have to see it. Other than that, the trailer for the Michael J Fox Show looked pretty good, but I don't really know what else I'll check out in the fall. If only NBC had picked up Mulaney...