Next week I will be in Florida visiting Disney/Universal...

Avatar image for redsquirrelbrown
RedSquirrelBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

All on my lonesome!

Can anyone recommend anything to do outside of the parks? Is the Kennedy Space Centre worth a visit?

Avatar image for chumley_marchbanks
chumley_marchbanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Check out Busch Gardens if you like rollercoasters and/or animals.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Evilsbane

Chill in the Universal Boardwalk area before you go in the parks, there are some fun bars. The Bob Marley bar was pretty chill.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Depends on how outside of Orlando you're willing to go.

Kennedy is fun especially if you like space travel. Busch Gardens is about an hour away in Tampa. Tampa could be a good place to visit but only if you've already exhausted your options in Orlando. Otherwise you'd be driving an hour with cool stuff still to do.

Downtown Disney is pretty fun. Lots of cool places to eat, a couple of bars, and a great arcade (you pay a flat fee and everything is on free play, check it out later in the day and its discounted). There are also some good concert venues downtown like the House of Blues, so check for some bands playing when you visit.

Orlando is mostly tourist stuff, so there will be lots of stuff to do.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tuck your chain if johnny v's hanging around.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

The Kennedy Space Center is definitely a solid tourist spot, but do keep in mind that you're looking at maybe an hour drive from Orlando. Also, make sure you get there early enough in the day to take the bus tour, they stop running at some point in the mid-afternoon.

nonused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it sucks here; save yourself.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Have fun man, I'm going there solo in December. No real recommendations though, I'm still a kid at heart so I'll more then likely spend my entire time in the parks.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I went to Universal Studios Japan, Osaka in April.

It was cool.

Nipponbashi (Den Den Town) is about 30 minutes away by train.

That was cool.

barfqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Come to Macy's and pick up a rewards card through me!

Or, real talk, there is a lot of real fun stuff to do in Orlando. Shopping is a big attraction - you have the Florida Mall, which is huge but packed with people, the Mall at Millenia, which is calmer but expensive, and the outlets, which are outdoors though so you'd have to pay me to willingly go there. If you want to get out of the super tourist-y areas a 30 minute drive over to Winter Park is a nice place to walk around, check out rich people tchotchke shops, and get some food and booze. There are a lot of really popular clubs/bars in downtown Orlando, if you're into that sort of thing, though Universal's CityWalk will be a lot closer... if more expensive. A lot of music acts show up in Orlando, so maybe do a quick Google search to see if anyone you're a fan of will be in the area too? I'm going to see Belle & Sebastian towards the end of the month, for example.

Oh, and if you'll be here this Saturday or Sunday the Science Center is having it's annual Maker Faire. It's a thing about the wonders of Science! that's mostly geared towards kids and teens but I have a fair few supposedly grown-ass friends who are going to putz around with the 3d printing and robots.

barfqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, Dave Lang will be here next week - SO be on the lookout to get BOPPED, SON!

Avatar image for redsquirrelbrown
RedSquirrelBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barfqueen: Oh man, I've picked a good week to go!