NFL 2016 Discussion Thread - Ready for Some Football

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Check out the latest page for the most up-to-date Info.
Check out the latest page for the most up-to-date Info.
Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

I wonder how much of the strict enforcement on pass defense penalties will go away once the season begins. And I'd bet the veterans are better at avoiding penalties than the preseason players... also... GO PATS AND FUCK ELI!

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Looking forward to it kicking off. I never pay attention to the pre-season games because nobody is ever really trying. Though I'd probably have watched the Jets/Eagles game if they put Vick and Sanchez in as their starters.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@slaps2: I've seen a couple of pre-season games and it just looks like refs kinda have no clue atm what is considered a defensive / offensive or no pass interference. It sorta reminds me of when the replacement refs were in a few years ago and there were a few questionable calls being made. I'm sure as the season goes on it'll be more defined but right atm just a lot of bad calls.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: One of those quarterbacks should be a day 1 starter. The other should be a backup in Canada. Wouldn't Vick v.s. Foles be the better game?

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: Aren't preseason refs also kind of competing to get into the league? Maybe that's part of it.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I don't think so, I did however hear some changes made was adding extra refs to a game, giving them all headset mics to communicate with each other and the officials in NYC, they also had special refs on the sidelines from various jv leagues in order to train them as possible addition / replacements. Sad to hear Mike Carey retiring I personally thought he was the best ref in the game. I believe he's now going to be a correspondent for one of the sunday nfl shows.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@slaps2: Really I just wanted to see it out of the fact the teams effectively switched back ups. I've about as much real interest in seeing Vick playing football again as he does in actually playing football. He's made it clear that he's perfectly happy playing second fiddle to Geno Smith and taking in a pay check. If he doesn't get his contract renewed next season or if the Jets cut him, this will be his last in the league.

I don't think Foles has anything to prove over Vick. Vick was a better player in his day, but that day is long, long gone.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@jesus_phish: It won't be the last for Vick, I'm sure his days as a legitimate starter are over but that guy can still throw the deep ball and is still pretty nimble for a 34 years old quarterback. If the Jets do decide to cut him or not keep him beyond this season I'm pretty sure he can find another club to latch on to as a backup. It also seems like most of the public has either forgotten or forgiven him for his past. I hate to say it but I don't think Geno Smith is a franchise quarterback and a solution for the Jets either. While he has shown some talent I'm not sure if veterans trust that guy when the game is on the line. Heck though, they did have Sanchez under center for 4 years so I guess it couldn't get any worst right?

As far as The Eagles situation, no way Sanchez overtakes Nick Foles spot on the depth chart. I do however think Mark Sanchez will do better in Chip Kelly's system since it relies heavily on Shady McCoy and the run game. I think any quarterback who doesn't have to be the guy to throw 50 passes a game and can rely on a decent run game can succeed. All you really need to do in that system is protect the ball and throw a decent deep ball. Looking back at Nick Foles stats from last season he played in a total of 13 out of 16 games for the Eagles and ranked 22 in passing attempt. Even at the passing attempts he was making per game I don't even think he would crack even the top 10 in that category if he played a full season. I think that was one of the myths from my point of view of Chip Kelly's system, that it relied on an up-temp passing game when in fact it relies more heavily on the run to set up the pass.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think you guys could be any more wrong about Vick. The dude is better than a good number of starters and the idea that Geno Smith isn't the back-up is a joke. I'd rather have Mark "Buttfumble" Sanchez as my starter than Geno Smith.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@slaps2 said:

I don't think you guys could be any more wrong about Vick. The dude is better than a good number of starters and the idea that Geno Smith isn't the back-up is a joke. I'd rather have Mark "Buttfumble" Sanchez as my starter than Geno Smith.

So the issue with Vick is that he has all the talent in the world but he kind of has a stigma as an "injury prone" quarterback. It's tough and I hate to say it but you can't rely on a guy who last played a full NFL season in 2006. He had one phenomenal season with the Eagles in 2010 but he hasn't shown the consistency since then mainly cause he's been injured at some point in the season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2549/michael-vick

Vick is always considered dangerous because of what he can do with his feet, now look at his numbers since 2010. While those numbers are decent the passing stats don't make up for what he hasn't been able to do with his feet. I think Vick now is a little bit smarter and through his one year with Chip has maybe learned to not take the "big hit" but even still you only have a short leash in the NFL as a starting QB. For example look at Matt Schaub, it was recently announced that Derek Carr the rookie QB for the Raiders is going to be the starter ahead of them. Schaub was the guy who replaced Vick when he was hurt in Atlanta and became a pro bowl qb for Houston. Now, he's just the backup to Carr.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well 49ers have a had a pretty brutal preseason, hope they get course corrected for the season

and that we stop having players fuck up

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

As a Vikings fan I know the team will at best go 8-8 (unless Peterson and Patterson turn out superhuman performances) but I am very excited to see how Bridgewater plays when he gets his first start halfway through the season.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know it's unrealistic to think that the Seahawks will repeat this year, but I just want to see the do well.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azrailx said:

Well 49ers have a had a pretty brutal preseason, hope they get course corrected for the season

and that we stop having players fuck up

They recently reached an agreement with Boone so I guess that's a bright spot on a really bad off season for the Niners off the field.

@jay_ray said:

As a Vikings fan I know the team will at best go 8-8 (unless Peterson and Patterson turn out superhuman performances) but I am very excited to see how Bridgewater plays when he gets his first start halfway through the season.

Bridgewater got some talent but isn't Cassel starting in the opener?

I know it's unrealistic to think that the Seahawks will repeat this year, but I just want to see the do well.

GO HAWKS!

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

As a Dolphins fan, I want them to make the playoffs, but I just feel like it will be the same old mediocre fish winning 7-8 games. I think that might be more agonizing than being a fan of a team like the Raiders or the Jaguars where the fans know they're bad and don't have hopes up, but teams like the Dolphins and recently, the Bears, get your hopes up when they win one major game and then it all shatters when they start having a losing streak and getting themselves out of the playoffs when they were so close in getting in. Man I hope I don't get that feeling this year.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just waiting for the Patriots to clinch the AFC East.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Me and Zodiac Motherfucker are all set for another 16 Sundays of Lions disappointment!

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jay_ray said:

Bridgewater got some talent but isn't Cassel starting in the opener?

Cassel is the starter however unless the Vikes somehow are still in the mix as a possible playoff team by mid season I expect for Bridgewater to get the start in the last 4-6 games of the season.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

NFL Rankings are up on various sports sites.

NFL.com

CBS Sports

Bleacher Report

ESPN

The two teams that consistently made it on the top three on all these list were obviously the two teams that went to the super bowl last year, Denver and Seattle. Kinda surprised San Francisco wasn't the consistent choice as the other top three since it seemed like 49ers could of easily made it to the superbowl last year if it wasn't for Sherman's deflection at the end. The writers who compiled these list must be taking into account all the injuries and suspensions the Niners will be facing this year.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By azrailx

As far as I am concered (being biased of course) last year Seahawks were #1 and 49ers were #2.

I think the Niners drop in rankings is a little over-exaggerated but a solid start will reverse that belief. However, do think that the 49ers offence will have to carry more this season since our defence isnt quite as good as last season.

And as always power rankings are more for fun than anything else.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I' m a Fhiefs fan and I don't think there is a better bet than the Fhiefs winning less than 8 games which is the Over Under line in Vegas right now. GO MAKE FREE MONEY BETTING AGAINST THE CHIEFS.

brutushayesosu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Browns fan. 5 or 6 wins. Feel the excitement!

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Go Niners! I'm thinking our cobbled together defense of rookies and second year players could very well surprise. Let's hope Kaep can be more consistent, so we can actually improve as a team.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hoping the Seahawks can repeat this year, lost some solid pieces but picked up a few decent ones too. A healthy (let the Football Gods keep it that way) Percy Harvin is really exciting too.

I need some help from the GB community in the form of suggestions for my Pick'em Pool team name. Doesn't have to be Seahawk related, anything NFL related is good.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I really hope Gronk can stay healthy all year this year. If he does get hurt I hope we can at least get him back for the play offs. I don't want to go through another loss right at the end again.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@zella said:

Hoping the Seahawks can repeat this year, lost some solid pieces but picked up a few decent ones too. A healthy (let the Football Gods keep it that way) Percy Harvin is really exciting too.

I need some help from the GB community in the form of suggestions for my Pick'em Pool team name. Doesn't have to be Seahawk related, anything NFL related is good.

Um "Rick Moranis Glasses" it's kinda football related. Rick Moranis played the coach in the film The Little Giants.

wilsouk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Definitely bookmarking this, cant wait for it to start.

Been watching now for years but looking to step up my knowledge in order to appreciated it more. Also bought Madden for first time. Anyone have any source or recommendation for some reading regarding strategy. Appreciated general strategy to extent but more nuanced, say what routes work against what cover. Why people would pick man over zone etc and so on.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#29  Edited By Atlas

Man, I dunno about my Colts this year. We've got the potential to post some gawdy offensive numbers, but I'm not sold on Trent Richardson at all, and our offensive line depth, especially the interior of the line, is pretty weak. Defensively, we've got some good starters and roleplayers, but again depth is the issue. We need some young players to step up big time, and I have very little confidence in our safeties. We've got a soft schedule and play in a bad division - Texans could make a quick return to form, but nobody's scared of the Jags or Titans - so I think the playoffs is a realistic expectation, but I don't expect us to go deep into the playoffs. 10-6 is my guess.

And it's really hard to predict a SB match-up that isn't Seahawks or Saints vs. Patriots or Broncos. The league is so top-loaded right now that it's hard to see another team breaking through. All four teams listed were fantastic last year and arguably got better in the offseason. If I had to pick a couple of dark horses, I'd say the Jets and the Buccaneers.

@wilsouk said:

Also bought Madden for first time. Anyone have any source or recommendation for some reading regarding strategy. Appreciated general strategy to extent but more nuanced, say what routes work against what cover. Why people would pick man over zone etc and so on.

I haven't played Madden in a while, but from what I remember of previous games, trying to play it like real football usually isn't a great idea. But if you're talking about coverages in general, zone coverage is designed to protect against the pass, and man coverage is designed to protect against the run. Usually defences combine the two schemes, with cornerbacks in one-on-one coverage against a receiver and safeties in deep zone coverage. Zone defence works well against short and long routes but is sometimes vulnerable to intermediate routes, while man coverage is the opposite. Short routes like crossing patterns, flats, drags, and bubble screens are great against man coverage, and go routes can be deadly if the receiver is faster or can out-jump the defender. Zone defence is most vulnerable to plays that are designed to have two players attacking a specific zone, as it forces the defender to make a choice and whichever player he chooses not to cover is usually open. Slant routes were basically designed to exploit Cover 2 zone defence. Out routes and corner routes are best against zone coverage, and if you run a short out against man-on-man defence you're running the risk of an easy interception that can be returned for a TD. Teams can blitz from man or zone coverages, but linebacker blitzes usually means man coverage while defensive back blitzes usually means zone.

You can often identify zone vs man coverage when you snap the ball. If a defender is looking at the QB and back-pedalling or moving to a specific spot, he's in zone coverage. If he's looking at and moving towards a receiver, he's in man coverage. If you see the safeties backing up with their eyes on the QB, they're probably in deep zone, so if your primary route is a deep route you should check down to an intermediate or short route. Conversely, if the safeties move towards the line of scrimmage or towards a receiver, they're probably playing man, so look for the one-on-one match-up and you can potentially get a big play out of it. Don't panic if your intended receiver is double-covered; it usually means you've got a favourable match-up or a wide open receiver somewhere else.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Really wish it was Thursday already!

In other news, looks like Wes Welker might be pill popping mollys? Huge blow for Denver who might not only lose Welker due to a concussion injury but also a few more games with a failed drug test.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Slaps2

@i_stay_puft said:

Really wish it was Thursday already!

In other news, looks like Wes Welker might be pill popping mollys? Huge blow for Denver who might not only lose Welker due to a concussion injury but also a few more games with a failed drug test.

Welk needs to retire. If I had that many concussions, I wouldn't think twice before calling it quits. This makes 3 in ten months. It goes without saying that that is really bad for you. Also, Prater and Welk scored 210 points last year and they are both out for the first 4. With those four being against indi, kansas city, seattle, and arizona, I think they just lost the bye week. I would be surprised if they don't start off at least 2 - 2.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@slaps2: welker unlike in NE was never the go to receiver in Denver. Manning still has Emanual Sanders, Demariyus Thomas, Julius Thomas, and a pretty good rookie wideout in Cody Lattimer. Peyton Manning like any elite qb can make any wide receiver look good.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#33  Edited By Hailinel

@slaps2 said:

So the issue with Vick is that he has all the talent in the world but he kind of has a stigma as an "injury prone" quarterback. It's tough and I hate to say it but you can't rely on a guy who last played a full NFL season in 2006. He had one phenomenal season with the Eagles in 2010 but he hasn't shown the consistency since then mainly cause he's been injured at some point in the season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2549/michael-vick

Vick is always considered dangerous because of what he can do with his feet, now look at his numbers since 2010. While those numbers are decent the passing stats don't make up for what he hasn't been able to do with his feet. I think Vick now is a little bit smarter and through his one year with Chip has maybe learned to not take the "big hit" but even still you only have a short leash in the NFL as a starting QB. For example look at Matt Schaub, it was recently announced that Derek Carr the rookie QB for the Raiders is going to be the starter ahead of them. Schaub was the guy who replaced Vick when he was hurt in Atlanta and became a pro bowl qb for Houston. Now, he's just the backup to Carr.

As much as I don't like the Raiders, I just hope that Carr has some decent protection. The whole reason his brother David flamed out as a starter was because he had the misfortune of being the rookie starting quarterback for the expansion Texans. Their offensive line couldn't stop my niece from getting to the quarterback, and she can't even walk yet.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: I'm not saying Manning lost his biggest piece, but Welk is still a piece. Moreno being a big part of the running game last year also bears mentioning. Even if he had a better receiving core for the first four games than he did last year, which I don't think he does, you can't expect a quarterback in his late thirties to have back-to-back mvp caliber seasons. There is no way this Bronco offense could possibly be as good as last year. Given their schedule I stick to my guns when I said they will start off no better than 2-2.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Washington Native Americans: 11-5, NFC East Champs, losers in the Super Bowl to a shockingly upstart Oakland Raiders team. PENCIL IT IN.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YEAH! As a Lions fan, it's my one week to be excited. Then Stafford sprains a fat roll during the first possession of the year and all hope for the rest of the season is lost.

SeanCoughing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's hoping the Broncos don't blow it again this year! The last two seasons both ended rather brutally for them and both times it's made me feel pretty ridiculous how much it affected me at that moment. Not worried about Welker though, as one rather classy sounding Hawks fan said above me Welker was never the go to receiver here in Denver. Losing Prater though...... let's just say if any of those first 4 games are lost by field goals there will be some aggressive fist shaking in the direction of our beer swilling kicker.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

As a Seahawks fan, not much can top last season. Here's hoping we repeat (and maybe see a more interesting Super Bowl, though I found the last one hilarious).

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Penciled. What do we get when your wrong?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@rorie: I can only see that happening if Kirk Cousins is in man. Robert Griffin III looked shook in those pre-season games.

@slaps2: True man, I just think that the moves Denver made makes their defense adequate enough to compete. I mean at most if they struggle I think they'd at least make it in as a wild card team.

@oldenglishc: Poor Stafford. Haha I actually like Stafford he has the gunslinger mentality of Favre but the turnover ratio of Kevin Kolb.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I just hope the Seahawks do ok this year. Seeing them have that typical super bowl champion slump would be a real bummer. Also, I hope they have less nail-biting games than last year. It was kind of ridiculous.

streetninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By streetninja

@rorie: I get that was a joke, but I wouldn't be shocked if Washington won the NFC East or finished dead last. That whole offense other than Alfred Morris is setup to hit a home run or go out swinging. The main thing is if that defense will get any better. I hope they do well as I'm a fan of baby Gruden and my aunt and mother are friends with the family of one of their new offensive coaches, Bret Munsey, who was the head coach of Bon Jovi's arena football team when they won the championship.

@mocbucket62: I'm right there with you. I'd much prefer if we, the Dolphins, either went to the playoffs or sucked enough to get a top 5 pick. Fuck this constant middling, slightly good, or kind of bad bullshit. I only see the organization improving if we suck a couple of years to bank top picks and prospects, or hope that the coaching and players have gotten revamped enough to instill winning atmosphere. I'm doubtful about the latter, but I like the way the offense is going it just doesn't seems to be going far enough if the preseason is any real indication of things to come.

@slaps2: I think you're overestimating the value of losing Welker and how good Vick still is (I'd argue he's one of the most overrated NFL players in the last decade, though one of the best athletes in that same span). That Denver offense still has plenty of options to keep players being matchup nightmares for defenses and one of the highest scoring teams without Welker. The team might go 2-2 in the first 4 games, but I see 3-1 just as likely as I think the Cardinals, Chiefs, and Colts might not be as good as they were last year.

As far as Vick goes, he is someone that wouldn't start on most teams. He's pretty much always been relatively average or below average as a passer (however he does have great arm strength). Now, he's older and lost some of his speed, quickness, and reaction time, things he regularly used to extend plays, get big gains, and keep defenders guessing. Not to mention, he's being held together by bubblegum and scotch tape, so even if someone is fine with his skill set now they have to be fine almost knowing he's likely to miss a decent number of games when he inevitably gets injured.

btrdeadthanred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know its only preseason but I'm worried about about the saints lack of endzone coverage already. That offense though, couldn't be happier

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So bummed I have to work during the Seahawk game tomorrow, radio is busted in my car so I can't even listen to it as I do deliveries. Just gonna have to rely on score updates from my phone. Oh well I am still gonna dedicate pretty much all of Saturday and Sunday for NCAA and NFL games.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Just waiting for the Patriots to clinch the AFC East.

There is no way that is not happening. So I guess the real season starts in the playoffs?

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@streetninja: It's for more than Wes Welker that I think the Broncos will lose an early two. You just don't replicate those numbers in two consecutive years... or ever really, and they are playing really good teams whilst their offense is clearly worse than last year. I understand that how much worse they are is up for debate, but they are still worse.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fly Eagles Fly

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

20 minutes till kick off!

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Go Seahawks! I can't wait for the salt to flow.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SEA.....HAWKS!

Lets go! Packers are gonna get bopped!