Nicest thing that anyone has ever done for you?

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

So what is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you? Or what about the nicest thing you've ever seen someone else do for another person (or animal)?

I thought that sharing our stories of kindness with one another might just help brighten someones day. =)

In my case the nicest thing someone has ever done for me (outside of my family) was back when I lived in Cali at an air show. Being from another part of the country I wasn't used to heat without humidity so I honestly had no clue that I was already sun burned so badly that my face had 2nd degree burns on it, and that I was about to pass out from a heat stroke.

Random people I'd never met (and never ran into again as of now) where coming up to me, shading me with their umbrellas, giving me water bottles and drinks from their coolers, and fanning me. I was just sorta standing there like...what? I'm find I don't know why these people are so worried.

I'm really glad those people took the time to actually pay attention and care, as it most likely saved me from serious bodily damage and possibly my life (Yes, I did end up having to have an ambulance called as I actually did pass out).

Also last December when going to pay for our meal at a Mc Donald's drive through the cashier informed us that the car in front of us had paid for our bill. It threw me and my husband off so badly we just sorta sat their looking at each other for a moment until my brain came back from space and I asked the cashier how much the bill was for the car behind us in drive through. We then paid for their food to help pass the kindness along.

It's things like this that help me remember that their are truly some good kind people out their in the world.

So what about ya'll? I look forward to hearing about everyone else's experiences! Let's share some happy stories of good will towards others ! =D

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was super broke and depressed around the time the PS4 came out and my friend bought me one to cheer me up. I was just like damn thats an expensive gift and its not even my birthday or anything.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Gave me a USB pen that had my name on it. You can write your name with a pen that has your name on it, then load a text file with your name written in it onto your pen. We live in an age of wonders.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Aw, this is such a nice idea for a thread- I approve!

Hm, not sure I can think of the nicest thing somebody's done for me off the top of my head, but something that's happened recently that's really stuck with me, was just a little chat I had with this person I met not long ago. We don't know each other too well, but she's aware of some stuff I've been having a hard time with lately and was very sincere and encouraging and it really affected me.

Nothing too exciting, I know, but I think it was rather nice, regardless (or maybe it seemed so nice to me because it was little).

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think if that happened to me at the drive through I'd just double my order. I am a bad person :(

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I had a lot of behavioural problems as a young kid (no mean streak, just hyperactive). The principal wanted me on Ritalin. My Grade 1 teacher instead spent a whole year working on my behaviour and spending her own time tracking my performance in a specially made book. Hearts forever.

Novis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Birthing me. Seriously, that shit is hard and painful and exhausting. Love ya, mom!

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale That's super cool! Yeah tech today is amazing!

@deadpancakes Thanks! =D Encouraging words is a totally awesome act of kindness. Kudos to that person, and I hope w/e caused you to be upset is/gets better. Hang in there!

@brendan That sounds like an awesome teacher.

@novis I hope your mom has a awesome Mother's day!

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I went to my Jr Prom without a date. I had a group of 20 friends there with me, but I had no date. Two of the girls in my group of friends, not even girls I knew terribly well, both danced with me during two slow dances near teh end of the night. That was probably one of the nicest things they could have done for me, instead of remembering my Jr Prom as an 'okay time' I left feeling 'included'.

Throughout the years I have never been good at socializing but there have been grils I have known platonically who seeing I had no date would dance, go out to dinner or just attend functions with me. It may sound lame, but the platonic girls in my life who trusted me enough to KNOW I wouldn't misinterpret kindness, were the real heroes of my self esteem. Sometimes just not arriving alone to something matters A LOT. Oh, I went to many things alone in thios crazy life, but I have had some real saviors swoop in too. Those ladies were a blessing that made up for the rest.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@monkeyking1969: That's a really sweet one.

My story is a near-death experience and could be a little disturbing. Sorry.

I had a surgery that went bad. Well, it went well at first, but about three days after it (I was home by then) I had an artery break in my face and it minutes I was coughing blood, lots of it.

I was with my mom at the time and she acted like a pro, staying as calm as she could as I was coughing and (after a while) throwing up my own blood. I was freaking out and extremely stressed obviously but she still stayed calm and tried to reassure me.

At the hospital they told her I had 50/50 chance of dying (I learned after) and I was basically in total freak-out mode (they didn't have time to drug me before acting). She stayed with me for as long as she could and I'm pretty sure me getting overstressed would've made things worst if she had not been there.

So, yeah, it's kind of obvious that a mother should act that way but I realized just after how much strenght it must've took from her to stay calm while she knew her son could die at the moment. My mom is an all around awesome person but I think that she was just perfect in that moment. So that's the nicest thing somebody did for me.

Good idea for a thread, by the way. Some great positivity.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gamefreak9

I was on this week long trekking expedition in the mountains in Greece(Zagoroxoria) with my uncle and I ran into these girls who were also hiking. So I walked with them for awhile, there was a bit of dangerous part and one of the girls slipped and hurt her leg(it looked fine) but she was having trouble walking for a bit so we stopped. Bombshell: she said she could not go on and needed to go to a hospital, the previous shelter was about 4 hours away, the forward one about 6 hours away.

Her friend would have none of it, they had to keep going because they had plans and had to make it to spot X for some shit or whatever. Anyway after about half an hour of bickering between them the healthy friend got angry and just stormed off and left her friend there with me. So I decided I would try and help out, I half jogged to the previous shelter in about 2 hours, turns out they had some connection issues there so I had to run about 2 more hours to the nearest village, eventually they sent a chopper and picked the girl up.

I don't like calling such things nice, its just the stoic way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

My grandmother gave me $1000 for graduating high school (More than 10 years ago) because I was the first person in our family to graduate. Ever.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969 That's awesome! I'm glad you where able to meet such nice girls so that you could enjoy your Jr. prom.

@fear_the_booboo Oh my goodness!!! I'm so, so glad that your ok! Your mom sounds like an amazing lady. =D And thanks! I just kept hearing negative stuff today so I decided to be proactive and help in the spreading of stories of good will and kindness.

@gamefreak9 You really were at the right place at the right time. You deserve super kudos for helping that girl out (and I honestly can't believe her friend just bailed! Some people need to get their priorities in line).

@therealmoot Whoa! That's one awesome gift! Your grandmother sounds like a very kind lady. =D Also super kudos for graduating from highschool! (Even if it was 10 years ago haha)

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The landlady at my old place agreed to take me off the tenancy agreement after me and a housemate had some tension. It was a fairly decent resolution to a problem that kicked off due to my stupid mouth.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I... I actually can't think of the nicest thing anyones ever done for me. I don't know if that means that people are really nice to me or that I'm not in the best place right now.

One thing that I remember that I considered very nice though: There was a girl I had a crush on in High School (her and I are still good friends today) and she painted me this really great space looking thing as a birthday gift. She knew I was into illustration and graphic design and I think she kind of took that into consideration when she was doing the painting. A lot of hard, graphic lines around some figures and really bright, small colour fields making up the sky. She's going to school for interior design now and has really improved since we were in high school, but I still have it leaning up next to my computer monitor just as a reminder that I have some pretty cool friends.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

My life has been blessed by many miracle moments (my parents are third world refugees and we grew up in a hell hole, long story short) but the things that really touch me these days are the small ones. Sounds lame but when I come home from work and my girlfriend has cleaned up and prepared dinner as a surprise, hangs my jacket up and hands me a spliff... it nearly brings me to tears every time.

I'll share a random, light-hearted anecdote a little more in the spirit of this thread.

Living in Canada, driving from one city to another can be a huge task. My first car had a broken gas meter. Only I didn't *know* it was broken until I was out on the road.

Suddenly, my friend and I were stuck out on a lonely secondary highway with no gas in the ice cold of a Canadian November.

After walking for miles in vain to an out of commission restaurant and finding no one who could help us, a random truck pulled up to us. He was about as Regular Alberta Joe as you can imagine. Young guy, trucker hat. He asked us what was up and then without thinking about it for a minute drove out to the nearest town, got us some gas, and brought it back. Easily a 1.5 hour drive in the opposite direction he was coming from. Completely refused payment. I still think about that dude sometimes and wish him well.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z: good friend, had one of mine get me a 360 and an ipod in 06 with some of the insurance money they received after their mom passed. I felt bad taking it obviously but he wouldn't take no for an answer. He's not someone i feel i can super open up with but he's fun, caring, a nice guy, and loyal and that's plenty.

i'm sure i'm forgetting something less material but my parents, on top of spoiling me rotten despite me being a little shit, facilitated me going to japan when i was 13. My mom knew it was an amazing opportunity for me and its one of the things i thank them for to this day. Wish i could be a more giving or helpful/useful person.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimbo: My assumption is that the car who payed, payed after the car behind them had made their order, like they were both waiting and so the order was already placed, sooooo if it makes you feel better, you probably wouldn't have the chance to be baaaaaad? Yeeeeeey?
@fear_the_booboo: Holy shi-moly, I almost turned white reading that, I do not do well with blood stuff haha, sounds like your mom is an awesome lady.

It's hard for me to think of a 'nicest' thing.
But one comes to mind that when I was a little kid I used to get sick a loooot, the hour long car ride from home to the city would almost always guaranteeI would be vomiting or shiting myself when I reached city limits.
So normally we would have something for me to throw up into and a change of clothes, for some reason this time we didn't, don't remember why, if we were in a rush or forgot or what, but we just didn't.
So when I barfed it got all over my clothes and my mom pulled over near a small clothing/thrift shop and they wound up closing the store for a few minutes, helped to clean me up, gave me new clothes and didn't charge us for any of it. So that was real nice.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

One of my first real jobs was just loading trucks on the docks. One of my bosses always appreciated my work ethic and attitude and when an analyst job for our company opened up he pulled some strings and i got the position. I only have a diploma and some college but I made it all the way to another companies corporate office(only one without a degree) where i now do transportation analysis for the entire eastern U.S. And its all because the guy gave me a chance and all i ever did was really go to work everyday and not be a dick.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Jeust

@me3639 said:

One of my first real jobs was just loading trucks on the docks. One of my bosses always appreciated my work ethic and attitude and when an analyst job for our company opened up he pulled some strings and i got the position. I only have a diploma and some college but I made it all the way to another companies corporate office(only one without a degree) where i now do transportation analysis for the entire eastern U.S. And its all because the guy gave me a chance and all i ever did was really go to work everyday and not be a dick.

That's a great story. Great luck to you both.

@devil240z said:

I was super broke and depressed around the time the PS4 came out and my friend bought me one to cheer me up. I was just like damn thats an expensive gift and its not even my birthday or anything.

Another awesome tale to tell.

My story is about fatherly love. Well I've always been a well behaved individual, but having an artistic bend on me, and also feeling complex and confused with my complexity, being complicated, I've lost some great opportunities, and took some bad decisions. But my father always sticked with me, helping me steer my life, despite everything bad that happened, and the times I disappointed him, showing me what fatherly love is all about.

On another hand, I helped a friend not to kill herself. She lost her baby, and given how close I was and still am to her, I helped her accept her situation, more lightly, and heal her trauma. We're still very good friends.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Duders ya'll are all amazing. I love hearing all these great accounts of kindness and joy.