#1 Edited by Seppli (9740 posts) -

What are Nielsen Ratings?

Nielsen families decide the fate of American TV shows. Many a would-be great has been ferried across the river Styx too soon, and many a terrible show was lauded to the highest Olymps of Success, despite theirselves. Mourn your losses, and hate on unworthy victors - with a youtube embed or hotlink, and write some of your thoughts down alongside it.

I'll give you one example each...

Nielsen Victim - Last Resort

One of this season's most promising newcomer shows, which got cancelled too soon, and taken from us way before its time - Last Resort. Here's a brief summary of the basic premise, as found on its Wikipedia page...

The series is about the renegade crew of a U.S. Navy Ohio-class ballistic missile submarine, the fictional USS Colorado (SSBN-753). Following the maritime pick up of a U.S. Navy SEAL team off Pakistan's coast, the Colorado receives an order to launch nuclear ballistic missiles at Pakistan. When Colorado's Commanding Officer, Captain Marcus Chaplin ( Andre Braugher), asks for confirmation of the firing order; he does this because the orders were received through a legacy Cold War secondary communication channel, only to be used in the event that Washington, D.C. has already been destroyed. Chaplin is relieved of command by the then-Deputy Secretary of Defense William Curry, and the Colorado's second in command, Lieutenant Commander Sam Kendal ( Scott Speedman), is given command instead. When Kendal also questions the orders and asks for confirmation, the vessel is fired upon by the Virginia-class submarine USS Illinois (SSN-786). Two nuclear missile strikes are subsequently made on Pakistan by other U.S. forces.

Realizing that they've been declared enemies of their own country, they and the crew seek refuge on the island of Sainte Marina (a fictional French island located in the Indian Ocean) and commandeer a NATO communications and missile warning facility. When a pair of B-1 bombers are sent to attack the submarine and island, Chaplin launches a Trident nuclear missile towards Washington, D.C. to impress upon the national leadership that he's serious. The B-1s turn away at the last minute, but Chaplin (who has altered the missile's final target coordinates) allows the missile to visibly overfly Washington, D.C. and explode 200 miles beyond in the open Atlantic, the explosion clearly visible from both Washington and New York City. Via a television feed to the media, he then declares a 200-mile exclusion zone around Sainte Marina.

Now the crew must find a way to prove their innocence and find out who in the U.S. government has set them up so that they can finally return home.

It could literally have gone anywhere. The world could have ended in a horrific Nuclear Holocaust, and it would have worked with the framework of the show. Now that's not going to happen, nor anything else that could have been. What a shame. I blame it on a too narrowly cast female cast. No MILFs, GILFs, teens. All they got is the same basic type of girl in various ethnicities. A hot cast, but not diverse enough to hook the broader audience. Yes - I always blame a show's success on casting shortcomings, if everything else seems fine to me. Have a look at a clip from the show.

Nielsen Killer - The Big Bang Theory

The worst offender of shows elevated to great success by Nielsen currently is, as per usual, one of them horrid Chuck Lorre shows - The Big Bang Theory. I despise his shows. Horrible and embarassing cliché characters, not that hot women, gross humor - this show frequently makes me want to throw up. Especially when they talk games. Wierd-ass fake gamer talk, I cannot stand it. Anyways - bathe in a clip of The Big Bang Theory... without a laugh track lulling your subconscious in a false state of entertainment, after you read this brief description taken from its Wiki-page.

The show is centered on five characters: roommates Leonard Hofstadter and Sheldon Cooper, two physicists employed at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech); Penny, a waitress and aspiring actress who lives across the hall; and Leonard and Sheldon's equally geeky and socially awkward friends and co-workers, aerospace engineer Howard Wolowitz and astrophysicist Rajesh Koothrappali. The geekiness and intellect of the four guys is contrasted for comic effect with Penny's social skills and common sense. Over time, supporting characters have been promoted to starring roles: Leslie Winkle, a physicist colleague at Caltech and, at different times, a lover of both Leonard and Howard; Bernadette Rostenkowski, Howard's fiancée (later his wife), a microbiologist and former part-time waitress alongside Penny; Stuart Bloom, the cash-strapped owner of the comic book store the characters often visit, and neuroscientist Amy Farrah Fowler, who joins the group after surreptitiously being matched to Sheldon on a dating website.

See? Overthrow the Nielsens! Do it for the betterment of the world!

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (34600 posts) -

...Jay? Is that you, Jay444111?

#3 Posted by MildMolasses (3194 posts) -

So your blaming society because they have tastes differing from you? This is just as whiny as Trump calling for an overthrow after the election. You're on the outside. Everything will be ok! Mama won't let the bad men come get you

#4 Posted by Kerned (1168 posts) -

@MildMolasses said:

So your blaming society because they have tastes differing from you? This is just as whiny as Trump calling for an overthrow after the election. You're on the outside. Everything will be ok! Mama won't let the bad men come get you

Well, to be fair to the OP, he's not blaming "society," he's blaming the Nielsen rating system, which is pretty flawed and outdated. Catering to the tastes of statistically average Americans is not a recipe for quality (of course, Last Resort sounds terrible, so maybe the OP's tastes aren't much better). That said, I don't really watch any network TV shows, so I don't care either way.

It sucked that Arrested Development got cancelled though, but that was largely Fox's fault for failing to properly support and promote it. Not sure if the Nielsen system can be blamed.

#5 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (4852 posts) -

@Kerned said:

It sucked that Arrested Development got cancelled though, but that was largely Fox's fault for failing to properly support and promote it. Not sure if the Nielsen system can be blamed.

To be fair arrested development is coming back on Netflix and Community was kept afloat by the online followers despite it's low tv viewership. Neilson isn't the end all for tv shows.

#6 Posted by yinstarrunner (1171 posts) -

The Big Bang Theory is absolutely awful, but that other show doesn't look much better.

#7 Posted by MildMolasses (3194 posts) -

@Kerned: I love AD as much as anyone can, but promotion is not what killed that show. And given the ratings it pulled in, Fox gave it more chances than many other shows get. That show was full of self-references that made most of the jokes go-over people's heads unless they had been watching from the beginning. That was part of it's genius, but also prevented people from picking up on it part-way in. And the characters were also really unlikeable as people. If you didn't get the jokes about them, then you weren't going to stay with it.

And whether or not nielson's are outdated, the fact is the tastes of the masses are very broad and unrefined (and I don't mean that in a pejorative sense). Hence you have the massive success of Larry the Cable Guy and Dane Cook. The World According to Jim and Two and a Half Men are huge successes. The general population want simple and easy to follow. That may not be to your or my tastes, but that just means we don't fall into that main demographic. The Nielson's aren't whats wrong in the situation, we are. We assume our tastes are superior, so there must be something wrong with the system. The same way people all over the internet rant and rave about Activision and COD every November. What they make may not be for us, but we are vastly out numbered by the people who do want it

#8 Edited by Seppli (9740 posts) -

@MildMolasses said:

@Kerned: I love AD as much as anyone can, but promotion is not what killed that show. And given the ratings it pulled in, Fox gave it more chances than many other shows get. That show was full of self-references that made most of the jokes go-over people's heads unless they had been watching from the beginning. That was part of it's genius, but also prevented people from picking up on it part-way in. And the characters were also really unlikeable as people. If you didn't get the jokes about them, then you weren't going to stay with it.

And whether or not nielson's are outdated, the fact is the tastes of the masses are very broad and unrefined (and I don't mean that in a pejorative sense). Hence you have the massive success of Larry the Cable Guy and Dane Cook. The World According to Jim and Two and a Half Men are huge successes. The general population want simple and easy to follow. That may not be to your or my tastes, but that just means we don't fall into that main demographic. The Nielson's aren't whats wrong in the situation, we are. We assume our tastes are superior, so there must be something wrong with the system. The same way people all over the internet rant and rave about Activision and COD every November. What they make may not be for us, but we are vastly out numbered by the people who do want it

This ain't about the Nielsen Ratings, they provide merely the framework to mourn cancelled shows, and/or hate on successful shows you don't quite get why. Neither of which you are currently doing. That's an F - for lack of of participation.

#9 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1857 posts) -

@Seppli said:

not that hot women

Way to invalidate your entire argument. Like others have said, you're raging against the rating system because others enjoy different style shows than you. If the majority of people enjoy them and watch them then the entertainment companies have achieved their goals. We still have great TV being made by channels like HBO so I don't see any reason to complain. It sucks that your personal favourite shows get cancelled because you have different tastes or different reasons for watching TV, but that's life man, you gotta learn to accept that shit cause no amount of impotent internet rage is going to change the industry.

#10 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Last Resort looks terrible. 1st Season Big Bang was good, wouldn't call it fake gamer talk, in one of the episodes he got really excited that he found a certain sword in WOW put it on Ebay and his friend brought it for a couple of hundred dollars. But I have only seen the 1st season as I got the DVD as a gift one year.

#11 Posted by MildMolasses (3194 posts) -

@Seppli: How is this not about the ratings? The title is "Nielson Family Crimes" and you complain about shows that aren't well rated in the Nielson data and complain about the quality of the shows that are successful. It sucks when a show you like gets tossed off the air, but networks are trying to make money, and if a show isn't drawing viewers, it doesn't make money.

#12 Edited by Seppli (9740 posts) -

@MildMolasses: @RollingZeppelin:

How is a jokingly made wink and nod towards the Nielsen rating system making this theard about the Nielsen rating system, when it's about mourning cancelled shows, like Arrested Development or Firefly, and venting about dumb successful shows like Two and Half Men and The Big Bang Theory. That's the focus of the OP, if you've read past the title. Otherwise you're going on a rant based on the title soley, which is in bad form in of itself - and even then - you've been instructed 'to mourn and lay blame' there too. You are doing a great job a derailing the thread with your aggressive defense of the 'broad audience' and Nielsen though.

Nielsen ratings are a sidetopic at most.

#13 Posted by MildMolasses (3194 posts) -

@Seppli said:

@MildMolasses: @RollingZeppelin:

How is a jokingly made wink and nod towards the Nielsen rating system making this theard about Nielsen rating system, when it's about mourning cancelled shows, likd Arrested Development of Firefly, and venting about dumb successful shows like Two and Half Men and The Big Bang Theory.

Nielsen ratings are a sidetopic at most.

Then your humour went over our heads and is thus of the quality of Big Bang Theory because it didn't appeal to any of us

#14 Posted by Seppli (9740 posts) -

@MildMolasses:

Learn to speak for yourself.

#15 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1857 posts) -

@Seppli: Yeah, I didn't catch any of your humour there. Neither did the majority of other posters in this thread. A quality topic is clear about it's intentions, the blame is on you here for making a shitty, convoluted OP that obscures the intentions of the thread. I'm not even sure I can call what you wrote humour, cause it sure as hell wasn't funny.

#16 Posted by Nentisys (881 posts) -

That is a really weird OP. Atleast I agree that Big Bang Theory is terrible.

#17 Edited by Seppli (9740 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin said:

@Seppli: Yeah, I didn't catch any of your humour there. Neither did the majority of other posters in this thread. A quality topic is clear about it's intentions, the blame is on you here for making a shitty, convoluted OP that obscures the intentions of the thread. I'm not even sure I can call what you wrote humour, cause it sure as hell wasn't funny.

Really? A two topic thread title is over your head? And it's not supposed to be a funny joke or anthing. It's a bad pun. Oh well - whatever. If only somebody would participate, and post a video-clip of a cancelled show they loved/liked, or do the same with a show they hate, that's successful and on the air. Doesn't seem to happen though. Sourpuss time.

It's always the same. Any type of thread that asks for a little participation usually fails, because everybody's to lazy to do so, or would rather fight some arbitrary fight.

Doesn't mean I'll ever stop trying.

#18 Posted by WilliamHenry (1195 posts) -

TV shows, especially network shows, have to appeal to the least common denominator. Thats why network is full of generic, non offensive crap. Anything that is high concept or requires viewers to pay attention and watch every week has a very high chance of being cancelled. Thats just how network tv operates. If you're looking for high quality, enthralling television, then you need to stick with the AMCs and HBOs. Cable networks that don't have to appeal to tens of millions of viewers. Cable can appeal to their niche which allows them much more creative freedom.

And of course the Nielsen system is incredibly flawed. I don't think I would want tv networks to be able to track everything everyone watches either though.

#19 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

Yet another misunderstood Seppli thread. I will agree that Big Bang Theory is fucking awful though. That Last Resort one sounds half decent I guess. I don't watch much TV so I can't think of a show I liked that got cancelled. NHL hockey I guess?

#20 Posted by Seppli (9740 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

Yet another misunderstood Seppli thread. I will agree that Big Bang Theory is fucking awful though. That Last Resort one sounds half decent I guess. I don't watch much TV so I can't think of a show I liked that got cancelled. NHL hockey I guess?

Last Resort practically plays on Shadow Moses Island... how any game-enthusiast does disregard such an awesome premise - now that's over my head.

#21 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1857 posts) -

@Seppli said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

@Seppli: Yeah, I didn't catch any of your humour there. Neither did the majority of other posters in this thread. A quality topic is clear about it's intentions, the blame is on you here for making a shitty, convoluted OP that obscures the intentions of the thread. I'm not even sure I can call what you wrote humour, cause it sure as hell wasn't funny.

Really? A two topic thread title is over your head? And it's not supposed to be a funny joke or anthing. It's a bad pun. Oh well - whatever. If only somebody would participate, and post a video-clip of a cancelled show they loved/liked, or do the same with a show they hate, that's successful and on the air. Doesn't seem to happen though. Sourpuss time.

It's always the same. Any type of thread that asks for a little participation usually fails, because everybody's to lazy to do so, or would rather fight some arbitrary fight.

Doesn't mean I'll ever stop trying.

If you wanted participation you should have made the content of your post about it, not masking it in a complaint about Neilson ratings. The thread title establishes the topic of the post, and seeing as a great deal of the content of your post was complaints about the Neilson rating then it makes that look like your main argument, with the posting of shows as a suggested side topic.

Everything of forums is arbitrary there's no point to any of this, we're all just wasting our lives here, it's true. But maybe we can improve our communication skills while we're at it?

#22 Posted by Video_Game_King (34600 posts) -

@Seppli said:

That's the focus of the OP, if you've read past the title. Otherwise you're going on a rant based on the title soley, which is in bad form in of itself

Really? Because (and I can speak from experience) the title of a thread can really define what the focus is. If you didn't want to focus on Nielsen ratings, maybe you shouldn't have titled your thread Nielsen Family Crimes.

#23 Posted by Spoonman671 (4371 posts) -

I hate things that are popular too.  Also, I'm so angry at my dad.

#24 Edited by Seppli (9740 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Seppli said:

That's the focus of the OP, if you've read past the title. Otherwise you're going on a rant based on the title soley, which is in bad form in of itself

Really? Because (and I can speak from experience) the title of a thread can really define what the focus is. If you didn't want to focus on Nielsen ratings, maybe you shouldn't have titled your thread Nielsen Family Crimes.

The participation rules are in the title too...

Recount your Losses, Lay Blame on Victors

#25 Posted by Seppli (9740 posts) -

In the name of participation, I shall provide another example of a...

Nielsen Victim - Kings

A tv-show take on David & Goliath - and god - set in modern times. It was brilliant. Great cast. Great writing. Beautifully shot. And Nielsen killed it!
 
  

  

#26 Posted by Video_Game_King (34600 posts) -

@Seppli:

Except I'm not really sure what that means. Besides, captions always take the back seat to what comes before them. Can you say you've ever read The Modern Prometheus? Or The Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life?

#27 Edited by Seppli (9740 posts) -

 @Video_Game_King:
 
It's the Nielsen crimes...
 
and you're supposed to go...
 

Nielsen Victim - *insert cancelled show*


  • *insert thoughts and opinions on said show*
  • *insert youtube embed*

...and receive a participation star from the interwebs forum committee for excellence

#28 Edited by Seppli (9740 posts) -
@RollingZeppelin said:

@Seppli said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

@Seppli: Yeah, I didn't catch any of your humour there. Neither did the majority of other posters in this thread. A quality topic is clear about it's intentions, the blame is on you here for making a shitty, convoluted OP that obscures the intentions of the thread. I'm not even sure I can call what you wrote humour, cause it sure as hell wasn't funny.

Really? A two topic thread title is over your head? And it's not supposed to be a funny joke or anthing. It's a bad pun. Oh well - whatever. If only somebody would participate, and post a video-clip of a cancelled show they loved/liked, or do the same with a show they hate, that's successful and on the air. Doesn't seem to happen though. Sourpuss time.

It's always the same. Any type of thread that asks for a little participation usually fails, because everybody's to lazy to do so, or would rather fight some arbitrary fight.

Doesn't mean I'll ever stop trying.

If you wanted participation you should have made the content of your post about it, not masking it in a complaint about Neilson ratings. The thread title establishes the topic of the post, and seeing as a great deal of the content of your post was complaints about the Neilson rating then it makes that look like your main argument, with the posting of shows as a suggested side topic.

Everything of forums is arbitrary there's no point to any of this, we're all just wasting our lives here, it's true. But maybe we can improve our communication skills while we're at it?

Zero complaints about Nielsen Rating made. Not until the very end, where I write 'Overthrow the Nielsens'. Everything before that is exposition on the Nielsen rating system. The meat of the OP is about Last Resort and The Big Bang Theory. Like 99% of the OP is about actual TV shows, and not about Nielsen.
 
You're just defensive of your bad forum attitude.
#29 Posted by pyromagnestir (3950 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Kerned said:

It sucked that Arrested Development got cancelled though, but that was largely Fox's fault for failing to properly support and promote it. Not sure if the Nielsen system can be blamed.

To be fair arrested development is coming back on Netflix and Community was kept afloat by the online followers despite it's low tv viewership. Neilson isn't the end all for tv shows.

Community is alive only because NBC is in terrrrrrrrrrrible shape. The online community had nothing to do with it. The show's target demographic audience, though very low, is stable by extremely poor NBC standards, and Sony and NBC came to a budget arrangement that both sides could agree on for more episodes Also NBC seems to not have any faith in the new shows they are airing and wanted a plan D should they all fail. Not rehiring creator/showrunner Dan Harmon probably was a budget decision on Sony's part to help reach that budgetary arrangement.

Chuck went 5 seasons for the exact same reason. Although in Chuck's case the budget cuts and not knowing how many episodes they would get each year really hurt the show after season 2.

Demo numbers are still the end all, be all for the tv business.

#30 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1857 posts) -

@Seppli said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

@Seppli said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

@Seppli: Yeah, I didn't catch any of your humour there. Neither did the majority of other posters in this thread. A quality topic is clear about it's intentions, the blame is on you here for making a shitty, convoluted OP that obscures the intentions of the thread. I'm not even sure I can call what you wrote humour, cause it sure as hell wasn't funny.

Really? A two topic thread title is over your head? And it's not supposed to be a funny joke or anthing. It's a bad pun. Oh well - whatever. If only somebody would participate, and post a video-clip of a cancelled show they loved/liked, or do the same with a show they hate, that's successful and on the air. Doesn't seem to happen though. Sourpuss time.

It's always the same. Any type of thread that asks for a little participation usually fails, because everybody's to lazy to do so, or would rather fight some arbitrary fight.

Doesn't mean I'll ever stop trying.

If you wanted participation you should have made the content of your post about it, not masking it in a complaint about Neilson ratings. The thread title establishes the topic of the post, and seeing as a great deal of the content of your post was complaints about the Neilson rating then it makes that look like your main argument, with the posting of shows as a suggested side topic.

Everything of forums is arbitrary there's no point to any of this, we're all just wasting our lives here, it's true. But maybe we can improve our communication skills while we're at it?

Zero complaints about Nielsen Rating made. Not until the very end, where I write 'Overthrow the Nielsens'. Everything before that is exposition on the Nielsen rating system. The meat of the OP is about Last Resort and The Big Bang Theory. Like 99% of the OP is about actual TV shows, and not about Nielsen. You're just defensive of your bad forum attitude.

The evidence is stacked against you here. The majority of posters are mistaking the intentions of your topic, that implies that the error is in the contents of the post not in the readers interpretation of the post. If it were only me then I would accept that I may have missed something in your post and interpreting it wrong was my fault, but that's not the case.

I'm not showing a bad attitude, I'm just pointing out the communication errors of your post.

Don't you think that if your post was clear and concise, this wouldn't even be an issue?

You're just defensive of your poor communication skills.

#31 Edited by Seppli (9740 posts) -
@RollingZeppelin said:

@Seppli said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

@Seppli said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

@Seppli: Yeah, I didn't catch any of your humour there. Neither did the majority of other posters in this thread. A quality topic is clear about it's intentions, the blame is on you here for making a shitty, convoluted OP that obscures the intentions of the thread. I'm not even sure I can call what you wrote humour, cause it sure as hell wasn't funny.

Really? A two topic thread title is over your head? And it's not supposed to be a funny joke or anthing. It's a bad pun. Oh well - whatever. If only somebody would participate, and post a video-clip of a cancelled show they loved/liked, or do the same with a show they hate, that's successful and on the air. Doesn't seem to happen though. Sourpuss time.

It's always the same. Any type of thread that asks for a little participation usually fails, because everybody's to lazy to do so, or would rather fight some arbitrary fight.

Doesn't mean I'll ever stop trying.

If you wanted participation you should have made the content of your post about it, not masking it in a complaint about Neilson ratings. The thread title establishes the topic of the post, and seeing as a great deal of the content of your post was complaints about the Neilson rating then it makes that look like your main argument, with the posting of shows as a suggested side topic.

Everything of forums is arbitrary there's no point to any of this, we're all just wasting our lives here, it's true. But maybe we can improve our communication skills while we're at it?

Zero complaints about Nielsen Rating made. Not until the very end, where I write 'Overthrow the Nielsens'. Everything before that is exposition on the Nielsen rating system. The meat of the OP is about Last Resort and The Big Bang Theory. Like 99% of the OP is about actual TV shows, and not about Nielsen. You're just defensive of your bad forum attitude.

The evidence is stacked against you here. The majority of posters are mistaking the intentions of your topic, that implies that the error is in the contents of the post not in the readers interpretation of the post. If it were only me then I would accept that I may have missed something in your post and interpreting it wrong was my fault, but that's not the case.

I'm not showing a bad attitude, I'm just pointing out the communication errors of your post.

Don't you think that if your post was clear and concise, this wouldn't even be an issue?

You're just defensive of your poor communication skills.

Nope, just further evidence that most forumgoers tend to read the OP's title and little more. Hell - I often only skim-read stuff myself. It's also rare that anyone participates - the most you'll get out of anyone is a comment on the OP, rather than an addition to the topic at hand. In this case - mourning prematurely cancelled shows, or hating on the horrible shows that are successfully on the air. The OP could hardly be more clear.
#32 Posted by Cloudenvy (5890 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

...Jay? Is that you, Jay444111?

Huh, I wonder what became of Jay. The last thing I remember is a lot of people, including me, getting really upset with his last blog and he disappeared.

Also, another classic Seppli thread I see.

#33 Posted by Andorski (5107 posts) -

Community (most likely) is going to be cancelled after their 13 episode delayed season 4 is shown next year, and I blame any in this thread who does not watch the show and participate in the #sixseasonsandamovie hashtag posts on Twitter.

Also, I got a laugh - in a wow, that's absurdly sexist - post by the OP about TBBT being a bad show because the women on it aren't that hot.

#34 Posted by Scrawnto (2413 posts) -

@Seppli said:

What are Nielsen Ratings?

Nielsen families decide the fate of American TV shows. Many a would-be great has been ferried across the river Styx too soon, and many a terrible show was lauded to the highest Olymps of Success, despite theirselves. Mourn your losses, and hate on unworthy victors - with a youtube embed or hotlink, and write some of your thoughts down alongside it.

I'll give you one example each...

...

See? Overthrow the Nielsens! Do it for the betterment of the world!

Hey, I did read your whole first post. When you have a title like that, and then you bookend your post like this, it gives an overwhelming impression that you are railing against the Nielsen Rating system. In your other posts you write about it like it was only a throwaway joke, but it's actually pretty pervasive in the post.

#35 Posted by Video_Game_King (34600 posts) -

@Cloudenvy:

He was banned. confirmed as much.

#36 Edited by MikkaQ (10224 posts) -

I think almost all genre-TV is awful. I haven't seen Game of Thrones but that seems to be the exception only because budget is massive. TV networks just can't afford to keep those kinds of shows on the air unless they become the next Lost.

Also hahaha Scott Speedman is in this, no wonder this was cancelled. That guy is fucking terrible. He has even more trouble getting work than his Underworld co-star Kate Beckinsale who seems to only get jobs when her husband is directing them.

And I just watched some, holy fuck that is terrible. Sorry duder, no sympathy here.

#37 Posted by Cloudenvy (5890 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Oh okay, any knowledge of what sealed the deal?

#38 Edited by Seppli (9740 posts) -

More ontopic...
 

Nielsen Victim - Young Justice & Sym-Bionic Titan

It's not entirely clear, if Young Justice's & Sym-Bionic Titan's cancellations are really due to poor ratings, or if it's rather been a matter of poor merchandising, since apparently the associated toylines didn't sell well. Either way, a shame these two shows are off the air. Quality animation, that hits the sweetspot between remaining suitable for kids and being genuinely entertaining for older audiences, is pretty rare. I really hope Genndy Tartakovsky (Sym-Bionic Titan) will come around to do more TV shows, now that he has started a successful movie career with Hotel Transylvania.  I'm not quite sold yet on what DC has planned next - Beware the Batman - a CG-animated Batman show looks rather... plain. Hopefully it's going to be better than it seems at first glance.
 
  
    
#39 Edited by Seppli (9740 posts) -
@Andorski said:

Community (most likely) is going to be cancelled after their 13 episode delayed season 4 is shown next year, and I blame any in this thread who does not watch the show and participate in the #sixseasonsandamovie hashtag posts on Twitter.

Also, I got a laugh - in a wow, that's absurdly sexist - post by the OP about TBBT being a bad show because the women on it aren't that hot.

It's just, in my mind, if something's the most popular TV show on the planet, then you'd expect the girls to be worldclass knock-outs too. They're fine and all, but damn, The Big Bang Theory ain't no Baywatch. It's Baywatch-popular for sure, but not a single slow-motion beach run in sight. How come?
 
  
@Scrawnto said:

@Seppli said:

What are Nielsen Ratings?

Nielsen families decide the fate of American TV shows. Many a would-be great has been ferried across the river Styx too soon, and many a terrible show was lauded to the highest Olymps of Success, despite theirselves. Mourn your losses, and hate on unworthy victors - with a youtube embed or hotlink, and write some of your thoughts down alongside it.

I'll give you one example each...

...

See? Overthrow the Nielsens! Do it for the betterment of the world!

Hey, I did read your whole first post. When you have a title like that, and then you bookend your post like this, it gives an overwhelming impression that you are railing against the Nielsen Rating system. In your other posts you write about it like it was only a throwaway joke, but it's actually pretty pervasive in the post.

Not really. You left-out the meat of the OP...
 

Nielsen Victim - Last Resort

One of this season's most promising newcomer shows, which got cancelled too soon, and taken from us way before its time - Last Resort. Here's a brief summary of the basic premise, as found on its Wikipedia page...

The series is about the renegade crew of a U.S. Navy Ohio-class ballistic missile submarine, the fictional USS Colorado (SSBN-753). Following the maritime pick up of a U.S. Navy SEAL team off Pakistan's coast, the Colorado receives an order to launch nuclear ballistic missiles at Pakistan. When Colorado's Commanding Officer, Captain Marcus Chaplin ( Andre Braugher), asks for confirmation of the firing order; he does this because the orders were received through a legacy Cold War secondary communication channel, only to be used in the event that Washington, D.C. has already been destroyed. Chaplin is relieved of command by the then-Deputy Secretary of Defense William Curry, and the Colorado's second in command, Lieutenant Commander Sam Kendal ( Scott Speedman), is given command instead. When Kendal also questions the orders and asks for confirmation, the vessel is fired upon by the Virginia-class submarine USS Illinois (SSN-786). Two nuclear missile strikes are subsequently made on Pakistan by other U.S. forces.

Realizing that they've been declared enemies of their own country, they and the crew seek refuge on the island of Sainte Marina (a fictional French island located in the Indian Ocean) and commandeer a NATO communications and missile warning facility. When a pair of B-1 bombers are sent to attack the submarine and island, Chaplin launches a Trident nuclear missile towards Washington, D.C. to impress upon the national leadership that he's serious. The B-1s turn away at the last minute, but Chaplin (who has altered the missile's final target coordinates) allows the missile to visibly overfly Washington, D.C. and explode 200 miles beyond in the open Atlantic, the explosion clearly visible from both Washington and New York City. Via a television feed to the media, he then declares a 200-mile exclusion zone around Sainte Marina.

Now the crew must find a way to prove their innocence and find out who in the U.S. government has set them up so that they can finally return home.

It could literally have gone anywhere. The world could have ended in a horrific Nuclear Holocaust, and it would have worked with the framework of the show. Now that's not going to happen, nor anything else that could have been. What a shame. I blame it on a too narrowly cast female cast. No MILFs, GILFs, teens. All they got is the same basic type of girl in various ethnicities. A hot cast, but not diverse enough to hook the broader audience. Yes - I always blame a show's success on casting shortcomings, if everything else seems fine to me. Have a look at a clip from the show.

Nielsen Killer - The Big Bang Theory

The worst offender of shows elevated to great success by Nielsen currently is, as per usual, one of them horrid Chuck Lorre shows - The Big Bang Theory. I despise his shows. Horrible and embarassing cliché characters, not that hot women, gross humor - this show frequently makes me want to throw up. Especially when they talk games. Wierd-ass fake gamer talk, I cannot stand it. Anyways - bathe in a clip of The Big Bang Theory... without a laugh track lulling your subconscious in a false state of entertainment, after you read this brief description taken from its Wiki-page.

The show is centered on five characters: roommates Leonard Hofstadter and Sheldon Cooper, two physicists employed at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech); Penny, a waitress and aspiring actress who lives across the hall; and Leonard and Sheldon's equally geeky and socially awkward friends and co-workers, aerospace engineer Howard Wolowitz and astrophysicist Rajesh Koothrappali. The geekiness and intellect of the four guys is contrasted for comic effect with Penny's social skills and common sense. Over time, supporting characters have been promoted to starring roles: Leslie Winkle, a physicist colleague at Caltech and, at different times, a lover of both Leonard and Howard; Bernadette Rostenkowski, Howard's fiancée (later his wife), a microbiologist and former part-time waitress alongside Penny; Stuart Bloom, the cash-strapped owner of the comic book store the characters often visit, and neuroscientist Amy Farrah Fowler, who joins the group after surreptitiously being matched to Sheldon on a dating website.

#40 Posted by Video_Game_King (34600 posts) -

@Cloudenvy:

No clue whatsoever.

#41 Posted by Pezen (1466 posts) -

Fuck you guys, Big Bang Theory is entertaining. And I'll not take no back talk.

#42 Posted by fox01313 (5033 posts) -

Most American network tv (abc/cbs/nbc) stuff is pretty awful to begin with so no surprises here with this post for me, probably why I only turn on the local channels to find out about the storms when they show up in this part of the state then turn it back to bbc america & science channel/movie channels.

#43 Edited by beeftothetaco (418 posts) -

Big Bang Theory is total shit. Last Resort's premise is pretty neat, but I could totally see the wrong actors/writers getting behind the wheel and making it terrible.

#44 Posted by Giantstalker (1445 posts) -

Never saw Last Resort, but it sounds neat at least. A good concept.

Big Bang Theory is utter trash, though. It's criminally unfunny, and seems borderline insulting.

#45 Edited by MrKlorox (11186 posts) -

Yeah. The Nielsen system is totally fucked, and has been for quite some time. But it's not the only problem with good TV shows getting ruined. The executives that run the networks are equally or even more responsible for good shows dying. Remember back when Thursday night on NBC was awesome?
 
I only ever knew one person/family who has a Nielsen box, back in 2002. If I had realized at the time the rarity and importance those things were to the future of TV, I would have kept coming around like it was my duty to keep the girl from watching nothing but MTV. Eminem, you got straight punked by a puppet dog.

#46 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1857 posts) -

@Seppli said:

Nope, just further evidence that most forumgoers tend to read the OP's title and little more. Hell - I often only skim-read stuff myself. It's also rare that anyone participates - the most you'll get out of anyone is a comment on the OP, rather than an addition to the topic at hand. In this case - mourning prematurely cancelled shows, or hating on the horrible shows that are successfully on the air. The OP could hardly be more clear.

You've said yourself that you made a two topic thread, and then you get annoyed when people comment on one of the topics. You then retract that and say it's about "mourning prematurely cancelled shows, or hating on the horrible shows that are successfully on the air". So what is it two topics or one? Even your defense of your convoluted OP, is convoluted. On top of all that, you refuse to listen to reason and ignore any input from others and continue to be pig-headed about the clarity of your post.

It's like talking to a brick wall.

#47 Posted by Sweep (8541 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@Video_Game_King: Oh okay, any knowledge of what sealed the deal?

We don't discuss individual moderations but... seriously? Was anyone really surprised?

Moderator
#48 Posted by Seppli (9740 posts) -
@beeftothetaco said:

Big Bang Theory is total shit. Last Resort's premise is pretty neat, but I could totally see the wrong actors/writers getting behind the wheel and making it terrible.

It's the Shield creators. Didn't see the Shield yet, but I heard good things. Last Resort is a pretty strong show with a strong premise, but it would have taken some more time to truely develop into something outstanding. Shame it doesn't get the chance.
#49 Posted by MrKlorox (11186 posts) -

Oh this thread is about naming shows and posting youtube spam instead of a conversation about the validity of the Nielsen ratings system? Well I guess I get a -1 for participation as well.