#1 Posted by Grimmrobe (199 posts) -
#2 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3758 posts) -

Interested to hear some new music. NIN is always interesting and worth checking out.

#3 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3112 posts) -

Year Zero was fucking killer.

#4 Edited by Grimmrobe (199 posts) -
#5 Edited by TheHT (10933 posts) -

Cool! I might check em out if they come around town. I don't listen to NIN stuff anymore, but I do listen to the Dragon Tattoo and Social Network scores frequently.

#6 Edited by Animasta (14651 posts) -

YES. this is my favorite NIN album (admittedly came to him late, but whatevs)

#7 Edited by GunstarRed (5047 posts) -

It would be nice to hear something new. How to destroy angels, and the Social Network/ Dragon Tattoo soundtracks have been pleasant enough but really, really samey. It all just sounds like Ghosts at this point... some of The Social Network tracks were pretty much identical.

I think Year Zero was awesome, possibly the most consistently good album NIN have made, The Slip not so much. I'd like a return to the really electronic sounds of Year Zero.

#8 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4167 posts) -
#9 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

I haven't been super into NIN for a while, but holy crap Eric Avery and Adrian fucking Belew are going to be in the band.

#10 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3758 posts) -

Pretty Hate Machine is still my favorite NIN album.

#11 Posted by Grimmrobe (199 posts) -

I haven't been super into NIN for a while, but holy crap Eric Avery and Adrian fucking Belew are going to be in the band.

FUCKING KING CRIMSON.

#12 Edited by Apparatus_Unearth (3112 posts) -

@animasta said:

@apparatus_unearth said:

I did too, I started listening to NIN about the time YZ came out.

#13 Posted by punkxblaze (2961 posts) -

@animasta said:

@apparatus_unearth said:

Year Zero is the most interesting NIN album, to me. The rest of the albums deal with very personal material, whereas Year Zero crafts an alternate future/world that's really fascinating to think about. Even after the Bush era that it was written around, the idea of a totalitarian society overtaking a previously free one continues to be both a plausible and terrifying idea.

Coincidentally, With Teeth was my first NIN album, and probably my second favorite. The Fragile's in there somewhere.

#14 Posted by Nightriff (4930 posts) -

NIN is one of my favorite bands of all time, was sad to see him stop for a few years but so happy he is back, love every album

#15 Posted by Optix12 (611 posts) -

If youre in the UK expect them to be announced for Leeds/Reading festivals on monday according to rumours and festival maths.

#16 Edited by Grimmrobe (199 posts) -

@animasta said:

@apparatus_unearth said:

It goes without saying that The Downward Spiral is essential listening for NIN virgins.

#17 Edited by mellotronrules (1172 posts) -

@grimmrobe said:

@apparatus_unearth said:

@animasta said:

@apparatus_unearth said:

It goes without saying that The Downward Spiral is essential listening for NIN virgins.

i was JUST going to ask where to start. i've always been a fan of trent and his work, but only know the singles. so downward spiral's a good jumping in place? ALL THOSE HALOZ ARE INTIMIDATING.

#18 Edited by Lego_My_Eggo (990 posts) -

@grimmrobe said:

@apparatus_unearth said:

@animasta said:

@apparatus_unearth said:

i was JUST going to ask where to start. i've always been a fan of trent and his work, but only know the singles. so downward spiral's a good jumping in place? ALL THOSE HALOZ ARE INTIMIDATING.

I would recommend Downward Spiral or The Fragile, and since it is free might as well listen to The slip. And if you like those you can start looking into Year Zero, With Teeth etc.

#19 Edited by Grimmrobe (199 posts) -

@mellotronrules said:

@grimmrobe said:

@apparatus_unearth said:

@animasta said:

@apparatus_unearth said:

I would recommend Downward Spiral or The Fragile, and since it is free might as well listen to The slip. And if you like those you can start looking into Year Zero, With Teeth etc.

This. The Downward Spiral, however, is his most interesting and memorable effort to date. Layers upon layers of distortion, chainsaw guitars.....'scuse me, gonna change my pants.

But I would recommend starting from here: Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, Downward Spiral (Deluxe Edition, only because it has amazing b-sides and remixes), The Fragile, Things Falling Apart, And All that Could Have Been (Deluxe Edition again, for the second disc has mind blowing extras), and With_Teeth, Year Zero, Ghosts I-IV, The Slip.

It also goes without saying that his work on The Social Network and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (3 FUCKING DISCS!) is essential as well.

#20 Posted by mellotronrules (1172 posts) -

@lego_my_eggo @grimmrobe:

thanks for the advice! this is great- i've been meaning to dive in for awhile now, and i have a minor internal freakout every time someone says they really like that johnny cash song 'hurt' (don't get me wrong, johnny is legend, and it's a great cover, but the original 'hurt' is just so much more powerful). like so many other bands, reznor's work is so influential and exhaustive- you can get decision paralysis trying to figure out what your entry point is.

#21 Edited by mellotronrules (1172 posts) -
#22 Posted by Grimmrobe (199 posts) -

@mellotronrules: On the contrary, Reznor thought the cover was so amazing, he gave the rights to the song to the Cash Estate.

Also, that cover was what brought him back into music.

#23 Posted by mellotronrules (1172 posts) -

@mellotronrules: On the contrary, Reznor thought the cover was so amazing, he gave the rights to the song to the Cash Estate.

Also, that cover was what brought him back into music.

oh for sure. i mean, it's johnny fucking cash! and it's a great cover. my derision doesn't come from the music (which is brilliant), but just the ignorance of NIN as the original author. i think many have this conception of NIN as purely an industrial band with weird videos and profane tunes like 'closer,' when there's so much more there.

#24 Posted by Grimmrobe (199 posts) -
#25 Edited by mordukai (7141 posts) -

@animasta said:

@apparatus_unearth said:

I agree. I actually was a part of the ARG game that came out before the album released Let me tell ya man, at one point it got real freaky, I was almost convinced that the shit they were pulling was real. I know he planned on turning Year Zero into a TV show so I am wondering if that fell apart. Anyways, I hope he brings Aaron North back because that guy is simply amazing live.

#26 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3758 posts) -

@mellotronrules said:

@grimmrobe said:

@apparatus_unearth said:

@animasta said:

@apparatus_unearth said:

Don't overlook Pretty Hate machine. All the rest are great too but I think that album is perhaps a bit underrated. Really awesome, catchy, and emotionally dark stuff.

If you get into the history of the band and Reznor it's really interesting how he made that album, how he felt about it, and what went on after that. So basically, as always, starting from the beginning is the best answer.

#27 Edited by ripelivejam (3587 posts) -

Year Zero is my favorite

#comeatmebros

everything about the concept/aesthetic/ARG was just awesomesauce to me. and i think it has some of their (Trent's) very best songs. in fact i'd argue Year Zero onward is probably my favorite NIN phase as a whole. Ghosts was, frankly, what i was wanting from NIN for a very long time.

i'm actually looking forward to and have high hopes for the HBO series, at least if it can hopefully coerce a Year One (*insert michael cera joke here*) out of him.

#28 Posted by dudeglove (7688 posts) -

Is he back on drugs and alcohol again?

#29 Posted by Grimmrobe (199 posts) -
#30 Posted by ZeeL (34 posts) -

So stoked for this. Adrian Belew is going to be touring with them even! He's one of my all time favorite guitarists. His solo on Ruiner gets stuck in my head all the time! Probably my favorite NIN song.

#31 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

@artisanbreads said:

@mellotronrules said:

@grimmrobe said:

@apparatus_unearth said:

@animasta said:

@apparatus_unearth said:

Don't overlook Pretty Hate machine. All the rest are great too but I think that album is perhaps a bit underrated. Really awesome, catchy, and emotionally dark stuff.

If you get into the history of the band and Reznor it's really interesting how he made that album, how he felt about it, and what went on after that. So basically, as always, starting from the beginning is the best answer.

I agree, Pretty Hate Machine is probably the best starting point. It's not too demanding a listen, yet it's a really interesting album. The most "significant" NIN records alongside PHM are probably The Downward Spiral and Year Zero, and I'd suggest listening to them chronologically. Hardcore fans'll probably tell you The Fragile is Reznor's opus; I frankly find it a little indulgent, but your mileage may vary.

Year Zero's probably my personal favourite when all is said and done. I think Reznor occasionally has a habit of getting a little melodramatic with his lyricism and, in being a far less personal/introspective record, YZ manages to avoid all that. Also the album just sounds fucking killer.

#32 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

I'm all in for more NIN. The Fragile is the album that I still go back to as the best album, followed very closely by The Downward Spiral and Pretty Hate Machine.

#33 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3758 posts) -

@artisanbreads said:

@mellotronrules said:

@grimmrobe said:

@apparatus_unearth said:

@animasta said:

@apparatus_unearth said:

I agree, Pretty Hate Machine is probably the best starting point. It's not too demanding a listen, yet it's a really interesting album. The most "significant" NIN records alongside PHM are probably The Downward Spiral and Year Zero, and I'd suggest listening to them chronologically. Hardcore fans'll probably tell you The Fragile is Reznor's opus; I frankly find it a little indulgent, but your mileage may vary.

Year Zero's probably my personal favourite when all is said and done. I think Reznor occasionally has a habit of getting a little melodramatic with his lyricism and, in being a far less personal/introspective record, YZ manages to avoid all that. Also the album just sounds fucking killer.

Yeah that's why Pretty Hate Machine is my favorite, besides being dark and poppy and catchy in a way I dig, it's just so personal. It clashes against itself and it's just really unique, the kind of thing you get in a first record that you can lose after.

Not to say the other stuff isn't great. Just saying.

#34 Edited by ShockD (2393 posts) -

NIN is the worst industrial metal band out there and you should feel bad.

#35 Edited by Animasta (14651 posts) -

@shockd said:

NIN is the worst industrial metal band out there and you should feel bad.

that is not even close to accurate

it isn't really metal (it's closer to rock most of the time, year zero was even more electronic than rock)

and industrial metal is filled with terrible artists anyway

EDIT: I mean come on, are you saying THIS is better than NIN?

#36 Edited by ShockD (2393 posts) -

@animasta: Well you probably listen mainly to American industrial metal bands, which isn't even considered industrial over in Europe. Now, no offense, but that's how it IS.

#37 Edited by Animasta (14651 posts) -

@shockd said:

@animasta: Well you probably listen mainly to American industrial metal bands, which isn't even considered industrial over in Europe. Now, no offense, but that's how it IS.

what do you consider industrial metal then? pitchshifter? godflesh?

#38 Posted by ShockD (2393 posts) -

@animasta: Definitely not. The British make even more pathetic industrial, but we do have to give them credit for creating the genre alright.

#39 Edited by Animasta (14651 posts) -

@shockd said:

@animasta: Definitely not. The British make even more pathetic industrial, but we do have to give them credit for creating the genre alright.

give some examples then?

#40 Posted by ShockD (2393 posts) -

@animasta said:

@shockd said:

give some examples then?

It really depends on what type of industrial you like, but if you hit anything German or Finnish, you'll be on the right track. Then again it might be a little heavier... We're talking different cultures.

#41 Posted by Animasta (14651 posts) -

@shockd said:

@animasta said:

@shockd said:

give some examples then?

It really depends on what type of industrial you like, but if you hit anything German or Finnish, you'll be on the right track. Then again it might be a little heavier... We're talking different cultures.

are you literally talking about Rammstein, oomph, turmion katilot, shit like that? I'm sorry, there's no real huge difference between Rammstein and shit like Static X. NIN is more interesting because the music is so different from album to album (which is why I like YZ and the slip more than the earlier albums), whereas I couldn't tell you whether a Rammstein song was from sehnsucht or rosenrot

#42 Posted by Grimmrobe (199 posts) -
@shockd said:

Are you serious? Have you even listened to Streetcleaner or Pure? And it's hilarious that you think NIN is worse than Orgy, KMFDM, Rammstein, and fucking Static X.

#43 Posted by ShockD (2393 posts) -

@grimmrobe: @animasta: All I see here is rage that American bands can't make as good industrial as the German ones. Also, a different sounding album doesn't mean it sounds better. Now it's all a matter of tastes. While Turmion are considered one of the best here (even thought I don't understand a single shit they sing), such tunes are rather unknown or frowned upon on the other side of the world. But hey, at least it's metal...

#44 Posted by Humanity (8873 posts) -

I never really considered NIN to be industrial but nevertheless I did enjoy his side project so I'm interested to hear some newer stuff. More excited about this than Daft Punk anyway.

#45 Edited by Alekss (327 posts) -

I always thought they were called Nine Inch Snails