Posted by patrickklepek (5581 posts) -

Nintendo has been a harsh critic of downloadable content in the past, but it seemed inevitable the company would eventually reconcile its internal values with a consumer reality. That’s happening with New Super Mario Bros. 2, which will receive three packs, available for $2.50 a pop, on October 4.

Interestingly, players won’t even have to boot up the eShop to purchase the packs. They can, of course, but if you have an Internet connection, Nintendo can send you a SpotPass notification about the content, and once you enter Coin Rush Mode, a shop icon will appear. Within that shop, you can read about the packs, and so long as you have enough eShop points, download them right away.

The three packs coming on October 4 are as follows, including descriptions straight from Nintendo:

• Gold Rush Pack: Fun new courses that give novice players the best chance to collect lots of gold, and veterans the chance to set even higher Coin Rush records.
  • Coin Challenge Pack A: The New Super Mario Bros. 2 website will track the rankings based on the scores for this pack, enabling players to measure their scores against other tallies from around the world in these more open courses.
  • Nerve-Wrack Pack: Intense new courses designed for veteran players looking for new challenges.

The last one sounds pretty damn interesting, actually, especially given my response to the courses in the game so far. I’m distressed at the prospect of not finishing a Mario platformer, and maybe this will give me new cause.

#1 Posted by patrickklepek (5581 posts) -

Nintendo has been a harsh critic of downloadable content in the past, but it seemed inevitable the company would eventually reconcile its internal values with a consumer reality. That’s happening with New Super Mario Bros. 2, which will receive three packs, available for $2.50 a pop, on October 4.

Interestingly, players won’t even have to boot up the eShop to purchase the packs. They can, of course, but if you have an Internet connection, Nintendo can send you a SpotPass notification about the content, and once you enter Coin Rush Mode, a shop icon will appear. Within that shop, you can read about the packs, and so long as you have enough eShop points, download them right away.

The three packs coming on October 4 are as follows, including descriptions straight from Nintendo:

• Gold Rush Pack: Fun new courses that give novice players the best chance to collect lots of gold, and veterans the chance to set even higher Coin Rush records.
  • Coin Challenge Pack A: The New Super Mario Bros. 2 website will track the rankings based on the scores for this pack, enabling players to measure their scores against other tallies from around the world in these more open courses.
  • Nerve-Wrack Pack: Intense new courses designed for veteran players looking for new challenges.

The last one sounds pretty damn interesting, actually, especially given my response to the courses in the game so far. I’m distressed at the prospect of not finishing a Mario platformer, and maybe this will give me new cause.

#2 Posted by Bumpton (449 posts) -

Bizzaro World!

#3 Posted by TwoArmed (114 posts) -

Figured they'd be $2 tops. Oh well.

#4 Posted by aceofspudz (938 posts) -

This is actually intriguing. What would Ninty designers do if they were tasked with making an official Smb kaizo release? And turned save states and rewinds into an in-world and balanced mechanic.

#5 Posted by RE_Player1 (7563 posts) -

I would be more interested if it was for a game that wasn't garbage. Give me a Fire Emblem game with regular dlc, which I think is what they did with the 3DS one recently released in Japan, and I'll bite.

#6 Posted by csl316 (8989 posts) -

I might buy the game just to try the last DLC. Challenging Mario is always welcome.

#7 Posted by ThatPrimeGuy (143 posts) -

Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone! already has DLC on the webshop (if you're interested in drawing I do recommend it. It's lessons are pretty standard as far as teaching drawing goes) if you want to taste their DLC interface....It kind of sucks. It like boots up a miniature eShop in-game and it looks odd.

#8 Posted by BlueWolverine (102 posts) -

Seams that Nintendo and their fans will be backtracking on a lot of their statements thry've made in the past about certain business practices.

#9 Posted by EthanielRain (882 posts) -

I swear, Nintendo is ~5 years behind the competition...but their first party devs are the best in the world. I only wish they were on the cutting edge of hardware and up to snuff in every other category as well. Sony's hardware + Microsoft's "ecosystem" + Nintendo's devs = gaming nirvana.

Glad to see Nintendo finally crawling into the online world, I guess.

#10 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I just wish there were more brutal mario levels in the main game. I want a damn challenge Nintendo! :|

#11 Edited by Crushed (884 posts) -

Nintendo has been releasing tons of DLC for Fire Emblem starting months ago in Japan, and said earlier this year that they'd be releasing DLC for NSMB2. Iwata also said years ago that they'd do DLC if it was logical and wasn't just stuff cut out of the game. I don't understand why people seem to think that this is breaking news or a shift for Nintendo.

#12 Posted by sw0rdfish (38 posts) -

I'm in!

#13 Posted by joeshabadoo (259 posts) -

The decision to makes these new stages exist only in coin rush mode is very smart seeing as how that mode is the strongest aspect of the game. You'll force players to dive into it who might not have yet.

#14 Posted by dvorak (1497 posts) -

@TwoArmed said:

Figured they'd be $2 tops. Oh well.

Yeah that 50 cents is really what broke the camel's back on this one right? *eyeroll*

#15 Posted by dicnose (39 posts) -

nitnendo.. dlc..? o how the mighty have fallendont forget about the mole people who live in our sewers

#16 Posted by Eribuster (500 posts) -

@BlueWolverine said:

Seams that Nintendo and their fans will be backtracking on a lot of their statements thry've made in the past about certain business practices.

I don't recall any statements from Nintendo that stated outright that there will never be DLC (selective memory maybe at play here). If anything, Nintendo fans welcome worthwhile DLC. I remember a few forum messages that wish for new Smash Bros. characters and very difficult Super Mario Galaxy levels that are made after development on the main games.

I don't doubt that there are some comments stating Nintendo's lack of DLC to be a positive, but they are childish system-wars dreck.

#17 Edited by CircleNine (381 posts) -

Cool now I can pay for ultra hard style romhacks I guess?

The other modes really don't seem worth adding but I really am not the person to who bullshit hard Mario appeals to, and even if I was there are an endless amount of free SMW hacks available to scratch that itch.

#18 Posted by fox01313 (5083 posts) -

Interesting to hear them doing this if it was a year or two after Xbox Live Marketplace & DLC really started to boom. Now it's just kinda weird, almost like they don't trust people to enjoy shopping on their Wii shop to get DLC until now.

#19 Edited by RuthLoose (821 posts) -

@Crushed said:

Nintendo has been releasing tons of DLC for Fire Emblem starting months ago in Japan, and said earlier this year that they'd be releasing DLC for NSMB2. Iwata also said years ago that they'd do DLC if it was logical and wasn't just stuff cut out of the game. I don't understand why people seem to think that this is breaking news or a shift for Nintendo.

Because lazy gaming journalists have a reason to drum up an old soundbite from Miyamoto outdated from the early Wii days.

#20 Posted by melodiousj (459 posts) -

Sold!

#21 Posted by Eribuster (500 posts) -

@fox01313: To be fair, the Wii Shopping Channel is poor. And this is coming from someone who doesn't mind its shortcomings in organization, interface, and other things.

#22 Posted by Jolt92 (1559 posts) -

@msavo: I heard that game got a ton of DLC. And some of it was free too if I'm not mistaken.

#23 Posted by DeF (4925 posts) -

Nerve-Wrack Pack is brutal. Can't make it past the mid-point in the first stage.

#24 Posted by shades846 (153 posts) -

@DeF: a tip is that you can turn some of the coins into blocks as the P wears off by hitting the coins with gold fireballs

#25 Posted by Blitz_Kill (32 posts) -

We'll see if the big push helps?

#26 Posted by headcase (78 posts) -

@dvorak: It's still a 25% difference, like a $40 game VS a $50 game. Sure it's only 50 cents instead of 10 dollars but each is just a pack of levels instead of a full game. Multiply by the future DLC in future games, and the money adds up (assuming you still buy all the DLC you would otherwise).

#27 Edited by Kosayn (453 posts) -

Gosh, between this and the Monster Hunter/Bayonetta exclusivity purchases, Nintendo must have hired someone new to keep an eye on the outside world. In this case, there's a great deal of interest in ridiculously hard classic sidescroller levels, especially in mario games, as anyone familiar with rom hacking or let's play knows. If they can get a handle on producing this sort of DLC regularly, they'll get the attention of some of the real gaming royalty, the enthusiast hackers and programmers - never mind about the hardcore.

They still have one hell of a long way to go for their console platforms to be considered inclusive and progressive, but these are good signs.

#28 Posted by bigstrat2003 (69 posts) -

@msavo said:

I would be more interested if it was for a game that wasn't garbage.

In that case, you'll be intrigued to know that this is for NSMB 2, which is an excellent game. Get your DLC on!

#29 Posted by TheMasterDS (2084 posts) -

My question has to be who wants more NSMB2? I mean yes, that game felt short, but it also felt really unsatisfying and banal in general. Generally speaking games that aren't satisfying to play and are banal don't improve by making them longer.

#30 Posted by MormonWarrior (2617 posts) -

I thought the tagline said "Nintendo Straps On DLC with New Super Mario Bros. 2."

#31 Posted by DeF (4925 posts) -

@bigstrat2003 said:

@msavo said:

I would be more interested if it was for a game that wasn't garbage.

In that case, you'll be intrigued to know that this is for NSMB 2, which is an excellent game. Get your DLC on!

sick burn! :D

@shades846 said:

@DeF: a tip is that you can turn some of the coins into blocks as the P wears off by hitting the coins with gold fireballs

what that works? sweet! I was saving the gold flower for rainy days but I guess it came earlier than expected ;)

#32 Posted by RichieJohn (526 posts) -

I'll buy it as soon as I get a 3DS. I love the NSMB games. Yeah they graphics are dull but the controls are some of the best ever in 2d platformers. I actually found NSMB pretty tough so I'd Be quite happy with an easy ride and then harder DLC if I want it.

#33 Posted by Ashaman456 (26 posts) -

Wierd

#34 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

This sounds ok, but if I'm paying real $$ I'd rather just straight up buy the coins I need to get.

So say instead of $2.50 for coin levels, maybe $2.50 for 250,000 coins?

#35 Posted by laserbolts (5331 posts) -

God dammit did I just read a comment suggesting you pay real money for coins in a Mario game? I don't know what to do with myself right now.

#36 Posted by EatBolt (40 posts) -

Wow. That's odd. They must listen to the BombCast considering this is exactly what they were talking about... or they had foreknowledge. Conspiracy!

#37 Posted by Marcsman (3239 posts) -

Typical big N. Always late to the party.

#38 Posted by runnah555 (148 posts) -

They have been charging people to play the same game for the last 25 years, why not charge them for extra content.