Nintendoeats Absurd Challenge #1: Make My Honda Civic Less Boring

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By nintendoeats

(Will there be more absurd challenges? I have no frigging idea)

In January I bought a really good condition 2001 Honda Civic. Then, while I was away at GDC last week, the transmission died.

Awesome.

So now I've borrowed some proper money from my parents and bought a 2006 Civic Hybrid. We all know what they look like, but I'll throw up a picture anyway (not of mine specifically).

There is a reason that Civics are the best-selling car in Canada: they are superbly practical vehicles. But holy shit does that make them boring. They're like the iPods of the car world.
There is a reason that Civics are the best-selling car in Canada: they are superbly practical vehicles. But holy shit does that make them boring. They're like the iPods of the car world.

I could deal with the 2001, because ti felt right. I'm a student, I have my shitty car, and the only thing that I've done with it is put in my own stereo and leave a lot of garbage lying around. And an acoustic guitar. That is how it should be.

But now I have a grown-up car. Ironically, it technically IS way cooler. I don't know if you know this, but hybrid technology is really neat. The problem is that civics are on the objective top 10 most boring cars list (I think that Sunfires are on the top, but since Pontiac doesn't exist anymore I guess I shouldn't be too hard on them). I mean, at least the Mazda3 has that neato 50s thing going on with the dashboard. Somebody at Honda was clearly watching an unhealthy amount of Star Trek, because the inside looks like a spaceship, and not the cool "used universe" kind.

When the MAZDA 3 OF ALL THINGS is cooler than your car...
When the MAZDA 3 OF ALL THINGS is cooler than your car...
You have some serious work to do
You have some serious work to do

Anyway, I have decided that I need to do something about this. Now, I do have some limitations. Firstly, I'm pretty much broke. I just bought a car. Second, I may one day bequeath this vehicle unto my parents. So I can't...you know...light part of it on fire. They're pretty open minded, but anything that could be construed as "damaging" the car might go over poorly. So lets avoid that shall we?

And that's my challenge. What would you do to make my Honda Civic cool? Here is an image of the most broadly (as in not gaming nerdy) cool thing that I own, to inspire you.

No Caption Provided

By the way, I've been watching Top Gear (The British one obviously). I thought that was relevant somehow.

ROCK AND ROLL!

Nintendoeats

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Lunar_Aura
  • fuzzy dice
  • weird japaneez plushies on the rear
  • rimz

Pick two.

Avatar image for bombcastgoldthwait
BombcastGoldthwait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Licorice dispenser in the dome light like the Mirthmobile in "Wayne's World".

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nintendoeats

@Lunar_Aura: Rims are like the iPods of making cars cool.

@Toebias_Funke: I like this idea. You know that licorice that the squad are all touchy about from Sweden. I LOVE THAT STUFF.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By spartanlolz92

pffffft simple

flames make everything cooler

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

Is there a reward for any of this?

deathfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deathfury

Racing stripes, yo.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nintendoeats

@Video_Game_King: Pics. So if your idea is boring, so is your reward.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By MistaSparkle

I would love to see you put some fins on that bitch.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By TruthTellah

Get in multiple accidents and then have pieces of your car replaced with non-matching parts. That way, you get a patchwork blue Honda Civic with a blue body, a black roof, a black fender, a bumper attached via big bolts, and a red driver-side door.

My Honda Civic has character.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nintendoeats

@spartanlolz92: @deathfury: @MistaSparkle: Ok, I'm game. Any recommendations about how?

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MikeGosot

Make it looks like a Mad Max car. Yeah, break something, make it dirty, put chains and leather on it, hell, maybe throw a seat away and...

@nintendoeats said:

Now, I do have some limitations. Firstly, I'm pretty much broke. I just bought a car. Second, I may one day bequeath this vehicle unto my parents. So I can't...you know...light part of it on fire. They're pretty open minded, but anything that could be construed as "damaging" the car might go over poorly. So lets avoid that shall we?
OH C'MON!
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nintendoeats

@TruthTellah: It might look more interesting, but do you find that people are afraid to get into a car with you?

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By nintendoeats

@MikeGosot said:

Make it looks like a Mad Max car. Yeah, break something, make it dirty, put chains and leather on it, hell, maybe throw a seat away and...

@nintendoeats said:
Now, I do have some limitations. Firstly, I'm pretty much broke. I just bought a car. Second, I may one day bequeath this vehicle unto my parents. So I can't...you know...light part of it on fire. They're pretty open minded, but anything that could be construed as "damaging" the car might go over poorly. So lets avoid that shall we?
OH C'MON!

I KNOW. I know. I appreciate your enthusiasm though.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TruthTellah

@nintendoeats: Not really. None of the accidents have actually been caused by my driving. I was hit sitting at a light, and another time I was just parked in front of my home when a 16 year old girl plowed into the side of my car. So, people generally know that the look is more about the character and history of the car than my driving ability.

Plus, I'm an artist; so, I suppose it doesn't seem particularly odd for me to have a rather "unique" looking vehicle. ha.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nintendoeats

@TruthTellah: Gotta love 16-year olds. I don't trust 16-year old me to drive a car, and I know for a fact that he never caused an accident.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By MistaSparkle

@nintendoeats: How skilled are you with paper mache?

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MikeGosot
@nintendoeats said:

@MikeGosot said:

@nintendoeats said:
OH C'MON!

I KNOW. I know. I appreciate your enthusiasm though.

You can still put chains and leather on it. I don't know where, but hey, chains are cool. And i'm just saying that because my dream is to have a Mad Max-like car. And, just so i won't be useless: You can put a hubcap on your wheels, or maybe paint the interiors yourself. There are tutorials on how to do this in eHow.
TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TruthTellah

@nintendoeats: heh. Yeah, it's really wild how bad some drivers can be. Though, this girl's father was a nut. Tried to suggest that most of the damage was before she rammed right into it. He even tried to pose as me at the mechanic where I was getting it worked on, trying to see if I was ripping him off with the damages quote I gave him. Really wild stuff.

Bad parents often breed bad drivers.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nintendoeats

@MistaSparkle: I've never done it before. Sounds like a great place to start!

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Catarrhal

@nintendoeats said:

@Lunar_Aura: Rims are like the iPods of making cars cool.

More importantly, they're a performance downgrade.

deathfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deathfury

@nintendoeats said:

@spartanlolz92: @deathfury: @MistaSparkle: Ok, I'm game. Any recommendations about how?

Well, I am definitely not an expert on any of this stuff. But from what I understand high quality vinyl or painted stripes could cost you a fair bit. If you're really running on the cheap, there's always duct tape racing stripes.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By nintendoeats

@deathfury said:

@nintendoeats said:

Well, I am definitely not an expert on any of this stuff. But from what I understand high quality vinyl or painted stripes could cost you a fair bit. If you're really running on the cheap, there's always duct tape racing stripes.

:) I'm thinking electrical tape. My dad uses it to "Van Halen-ize" his guitars.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Set it on fire.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By UnrealDP

My dad used to keep a canoe on the roof of the family car, and it was there for no other reason than to look cool. If you have access to a canoe or a bike or something, you can mount it to the top and make it look a bit cooler.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By nintendoeats

@UnrealDP: Doesn't that kind of counter-act the whole "I spent the extra money on a hybrid" thing?

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By UnrealDP

@nintendoeats said:

@UnrealDP: Doesn't that kind of counter-act the whole "I spent the extra money on a hybrid" thing?

I've never been to your house before, man! I'm guessing you've got something you could slap on top of that thing! Maybe steal from your friends? They're probably understanding people.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By nintendoeats

@UnrealDP: I was thinking more about fuel efficiency. I have MANY large cool things that I could stick on top of the car.

Chias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Chias

Paint it with a TV motive a la Persona 4, extra points if you get the windows tinted yellow. Even more extra points if you throw some of the tarot cards on the back of the car or somewhere on it.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By UnrealDP

@nintendoeats: Oh... Well.... I didn't think of that..... Yeah, I guess that is a big selling point on a hybrid, huh? Well, I got nothing....

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By shirogane

I'll admit that the outside of the Civic is boring as hell, always has been, the sedan version that is, hatchback Civics are a bit more interesting. However, the inside, how can you NOT think that's cool? What kind of crazy are you? That looks pure awesome! Why wouldn't you want the inside of your car to look like a spaceship?

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By nintendoeats

@Shirogane: If it's going to look like a spaceship, I want the inside of my car to look like a rugged machine. I want every interface and mechanical working exposed to me. I want it to be pure utilitarian, with some work done on it at some point that requires a wrench to permanently hold a bolt in place.

I can sort of understand why somebody might like the Civic interior as it is, but to me it just seems like it's trying to hard. Now if it had a commander's chair and came with peons that drove it for you...then we could talk.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@nintendoeats: Jungle Growl? That stuff sounds delicious but I've never had any.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By 71Ranchero

Eagle feathers in the seats, Eagle bones encrusted on the dash.....just add more Eagle.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By fattony12000
No Caption Provided
Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ducksworth

Find some neon glow in the dark tape in either red or green and then stick it on your wind shield so it looks like you have a HUD.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By Enigma777

Flame decals.

/thread

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By SSully

Get a lamp and hook it up in the back seat of the car in the middle. Or a disco ball.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By nintendoeats

@Ducksworth: Hmm, it seems like the best thing to do is to put the tape on the dashboard so that it's REFLECTED in the windshield, which looks even cooler.

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1: What now?

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Convert a rabbit vibrator into a hood ornament, and write 'HMS MOTHERFUCKER' on the side in calligraphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nintendoeats: The licorice that you're fond of. It's called something like djungerval but with an umlaut over the 'u'. Pronounced Jungle Growl.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By nintendoeats

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1: Oh, I was referring to the overall candy category of weird licorice. Especially the salty stuff.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nintendoeats: Racing stripes, that's what your car needs.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#45  Edited By mike

The great thing abut Honda Civics is that they're boring. Don't be one of those guys who puts $10,000 into his Civic, because a $15,000 Civic with $10,000 in upgrades is still a $15,000 Civic.

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By stubbleman

I wrote out a bunch of things and then I went back and looked at the picture of your car. Then I deleted all of that because there is no hope. That car looks boring as shit and ain't nothing's gonna fix that I don't think.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By nintendoeats

@MB: Oh no no, I don't want to spend $10,000 on my Civic. I want top find the most effective use of 10 single dollars.

Case in point, I'm pretty sure that H on the front is about the same size as a copy of Yars Revenge...

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Red12b

@Lunar_Aura said:

• fuzzy dice
  • weird japaneez plushies on the rear
  • rimz

Pick two.

If you do this I will hunt you down

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Red12b

@MB said:

The great thing abut Honda Civics is that they're boring. Don't be one of those guys who puts $10,000 into his Civic, because a $15,000 Civic with $10,000 in upgrades is still a $15,000 Civic.

this,

Don't be a tool and add stupid shit to an uncool car to try and make it look better, it wont and you will stand out like a sore thumb, also, pretty much all comments in this thread are baaaad ideas,

Dude, you've just bought the wrong car to try and make it "Cool" also,

Hybrids aren't a good use of tech, the amount of damage to the enviroment that goes into making the engines far outweighs the savings in petrol use,

Sorry to try and be a downer on your purchase tho, I hope it gives you good use, If you do eventually buy a car with your own money and not your parents and you want something cooler, I'd recommend a VW Golf GTI or Scirocco, you don't have to do anything to them to make them cool and they'll be good on mileage cause of the smaller engines and light frame,

Also, they are sporty so it'l feel responsive as hell, and the golf is 4 door with more room than you'd think.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BSw

Get a girlfriend, buy her some nice clothes, and put her in the passenger seat when you drive around.